An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

B444 has New Zealand been discovered in TTL? Besides this, I know that it is long shot, but is there any chance we will see a Roman Darwin-like person reaching the Galapagos Islands?

I'm personally rooting for Napoleon to found the Roman Colony of New South... Thrace? If the Romans manage to take and hold onto Australia until modern times they'll have an agricultural powerhouse (and rich source of resources) , given how much Australia exports now.

How is the ship lord system doing since the central government began asserting themselves? Perhaps Napoleon establishes himself as THE ship lord.

Please dont have a roman australia. Can we have on continent not be undrr them for someone else? Hopefully the civil war will prevent it.

Personally I think the Romans will have a better chance of eventually emerging dominant in Asia, I mean after all they already have Singapore. The Western Europeans will have their interests split between Old and New world and that Spanish have a smaller population base than the big boys. The Triunes don't have Fortress Britannia to protect them so they'll be dragged into so many more land wars than OTL Britain which takes away from their Naval development.

What would be good Rhoman names for colonial regions? I only could come up with the following (that sound good)(some may alrd be in story):
[*]Nea Thraki
[*]Theodosia
[*]Elysium
[*]Nea Hellas(?)
[*]Nea Rhomaion
[*]Herakleian Islands (OTL Philippines)
[*]Nea Alexandreia (Louisiana pls)
[*]Nea Phoineke
[*]Arcadia
[*]Nea Kharkadenos
[*]Nea Epeiros
[*]Nea Ionia
[*]Nea Thessalia
[*]Nea Aeolia/Aeoliana/Aeolisiana
[*]Nea Phocaea
[*]Lykania, Tyrrhenia
[*]Kykklades (Carribean perhaps?)
[*]Iridanos

Roman Australia sounds like an awesome idea, admittedly more in later days, it could be a damn important trade partner by the modern day.

But at this moment? The Romans do have population issues, so colonisation could be difficult, but having something like the Roman Sea Lords, or a combination of various "Roman" peoples settling could be a huge boon for the Romans Eastern possessions. Nearly impossible for Europeans (Triunes) to attack atm, at the other end of Roman trade lines - it would ensure that the Romans have a presence in the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

Considering the collapse of the Wu, I could see it being a plantation colony, especially where sugar is growable. Add in the sheer amount of food that could be grown, you could twist OTL. Have Rhomania Proper set it up as a criminal-settlement. Not a Penal colony where everyone is being punished, but being given the chance to go out to Australia to settle.

Alternatively - If the Romans have a shortage of land to pay their soldiers, retired-settler colonies where you get MUCH more land than in Rhomania proper could form the beginning of a Roman Australia. (Plus, it could be an interesting sale)

Although, crucial question - who owns Ceylon? That could be key.

Gah, any chance of a new map of the East?

Roman Australia sounds like an awesome idea, admittedly more in later days, it could be a damn important trade partner by the modern day.

But at this moment? The Romans do have population issues, so colonisation could be difficult, but having something like the Roman Sea Lords, or a combination of various "Roman" peoples settling could be a huge boon for the Romans Eastern possessions. Nearly impossible for Europeans (Triunes) to attack atm, at the other end of Roman trade lines - it would ensure that the Romans have a presence in the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

Considering the collapse of the Wu, I could see it being a plantation colony, especially where sugar is growable. Add in the sheer amount of food that could be grown, you could twist OTL. Have Rhomania Proper set it up as a criminal-settlement. Not a Penal colony where everyone is being punished, but being given the chance to go out to Australia to settle.

Alternatively - If the Romans have a shortage of land to pay their soldiers, retired-settler colonies where you get MUCH more land than in Rhomania proper could form the beginning of a Roman Australia. (Plus, it could be an interesting sale)

Although, crucial question - who owns Ceylon? That could be key.

Gah, any chance of a new map of the East?
I think Ceylon is Roman Taprobane.

And thus, Australia begins.

It's how all my Rhoman EUIV games progress lol.

Real talk though, I wonder what my favourite emperor (Theodosius IV) would think of our Nano-Niketas. Economically, Andreas doesn't seem to show much flair. I wonder how much interest he has in the Far-East. Theo4 would have been beside himself with the opportunity to make the money that is coming from there. I almost feel the Rhomans are squandering it a bit, bigger fish to fry I suppose.

Last edited:
Why get Australia when you can own all the Spice Islands, Philippines, Malaysia, Ceylon, and Indonesia? Just create a massive Trade flow and steer it all into Constantinople. When the Rhoman Center of Trade has more trade than the next half a dozen Centers of Trade combined you know that the Empire is the bomb.

It's how all my Rhoman EUIV games progress lol.

Real talk though, I wonder what my favourite emperor (Theodosius IV) would think of our Nano-Niketas. Economically, Andreas doesn't seem to show much flair. I wonder how much interest he has in the Far-East. Theo4 would have been beside himself with the opportunity to make the money that is coming from there. I almost feel the Rhomans are squandering it a bit, bigger fish to fry I suppose.

(I need the new DLC to come out, I'm going to play so many middle east games, including the obligatory Rhoman game).

Some figures would be interesting. I imagine with the Wu making Singapore a big deal, that the Rhomanion-in-the-East might begin to coalesce around it. Singapore, and a few other locations as major defensive spots, and Rhomanion-in-the-East might be OTLs Indonesia. (Eventually). Do they control Sangiang/Cilegon? Because they'd basically control trade to the west that doesn't go the long way round.

Why get Australia when you can own all the Spice Islands, Philippines, Malaysia, Ceylon, and Indonesia? Just create a massive Trade flow and steer it all into Constantinople. When the Rhoman Center of Trade has more trade than the next half a dozen Centers of Trade combined you know that the Empire is the bomb.

Why Not Both?

It would be an ironic twist if the Wu leaving Australia leads to more widespread settlement than anything the Wu ever achieved.

Some figures would be interesting. I imagine with the Wu making Singapore a big deal, that the Rhomanion-in-the-East might begin to coalesce around it. Singapore, and a few other locations as major defensive spots, and Rhomanion-in-the-East might be OTLs Indonesia. (Eventually). Do they control Sangiang/Cilegon? Because they'd basically control trade to the west that doesn't go the long way round.

Singapore -> Rhoman Straits Settlements -> Rhoman Malaya

OTLs Indonesia? With Singapore, Pahang, New Constantinople, Luzon/Pyrgos it'll be more like most of ASEAN.

Talking about SEA, has there been much about the East Indies Trade Company like the VOC, BEIC or any Rhoman equivalent? Or has that been completely butterflied away?

It seems the set up is lending itself more towards more sophisticated native polities in Australia, with Wu agriculture and other technology/institutions being spread across the continent without a firm state to back them up anymore. I am not sure exactly what parts of Australia were under Wu control, but if the "gold has run out" that suggests a pretty thin settlement with little attraction for colonial powers.

Wu core region was around OTL Sydney, while Nan was in the Northern territory (don't recall how close to Darwin). I agree that right now Australia is not that much attractive to Romans, at least until they kick out Spanish, Triunes and the rest from SE Asia (a much more lucrative region to hold on to). It wouldn't make sense to divert resources to conquer it (to boot the Roman empire has barely supported his CURRENT territories).

OTL Australia's subpurpose as a penal colony is still possible. But I agree that there is a lack of economic incentive in the early 17th century to keep it afloat. Perhaps in many decades, the new Roman Wu trade, flush with commercial success and a new identity, encourages and helps the Rhomans to reclaim their homeland which with new innovative agricultural techniques (especially considering the untouched Western Australia) and a steady influx of convicts from territories under integration like Mesopotamia, Maghreb and unruly Latins might just be enough.:p

OTL Australia's subpurpose as a penal colony is still possible. But I agree that there is a lack of economic incentive in the early 17th century to keep it afloat. Perhaps in many decades, the new Roman Wu trade, flush with commercial success and a new identity, encourages and helps the Rhomans to reclaim their homeland which with new innovative agricultural techniques (especially considering the untouched Western Australia) and a steady influx of convicts from territories under integration like Mesopotamia, Maghreb and unruly Latins might just be enough.:p

That cultural melting pot though. Mesopotamian, N.African, Latin, Wu, Nan and Greek. That is either some crazy beautiful cultural merge, or ethnic warfare in the making.

That cultural melting pot though. Mesopotamian, N.African, Latin, Wu, Nan and Greek. That is either some crazy beautiful cultural merge, or ethnic warfare in the making.

eh, that actually isn't that different from what we see today. Remove the Brits from Australia and you pretty much are describing the ethnic composition of modern Australia. I think the Wu (Chinese), N.Africans (Lebanese OTL), Italians and Greeks will do just fine;) and learn to love chucking some good ole' shrimp on the barbie just as much.