An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Hmm, they have the moral high ground? Where they got that stupid bul***** idea is beyond me. First they invade Rhomania who mind you wanted none of that shit in the first place. Then when they got pushed back and got slaughtered for their arrogance, they proceeded to "pussy" up on their most threatening neighbour (the one who kept f****** invading them for their most valuable province) .

I'm sorry for the rude comment but I sure hope that alot more Germans realise that their the ones who f**** up in the first place.

They stepped into a sleeping behemoth, one who has been trying not to be a bad guy, I sincerely hope that their civil wars will be of immense one big **** up kind of like the otl Russian revolutions. They deserve that much.

Hmm, they have the moral high ground? Where they got that stupid bul***** idea is beyond me. First they invade Rhomania who mind you wanted none of that shit in the first place. Then when they got pushed back and got slaughtered for their arrogance, they proceeded to "pussy" up on their most threatening neighbour (the one who kept f****** invading them for their most valuable province) .

I'm sorry for the rude comment but I sure hope that alot more Germans realise that their the ones who f**** up in the first place.

They stepped into a sleeping behemoth, one who has been trying not to be a bad guy, I sincerely hope that their civil wars will be of immense one big **** up kind of like the otl Russian revolutions. They deserve that much.

Honestly, there is part of me that hopes when they talk to the Russians as if they're such victims they'll just get side eye from the people who got raided by the Mongols at the idea that burning Ulm is such a tragedy. Let me check - they have Ryazan, Kolomna, Moscow, Vladimir, Rostov, Uglich, Yaroslavl, Kostromoa, Kashin, Ksnyatin, Gorodets, Galich, Pereslavl-Zalessky, Yuriev-Polsky, Dmitrov, Volokolamsk, Tver, Torzhok, Kozelsk, Kitezh (which was submerged into a lake, somehow). 2 cities, Novgorod and Pskov survived. (In fairness, I'm not sure if any of this was butterflied away as it was after the PoD)

"Ah, yes, your people suffered when you invaded someone for your own vanity, pity, oh, you want us to hate the Romans for this? Please get over yourselves, come back when you've had over a dozen burnt this way."

The Germans have a genuinely delicate sentiment of warfare, apparently, partially because they've never faced the worst of it. Meanwhile the Russians and Romans have faced the Mongols, Timur, Shah Rukh. Whilst the Romans were certainly being cruel for cruelties sake, if you compared it to the experiences of Russia and the Romans against the East, it is negligible. It actually reminds me of the update about D3 not having the ambition to be as cruel as he could be - if D3 was a Roman Timur then it would be Bavaria not Ulm.

Basically, I'm doubtful that the Germans will get much sympathy to their east - perhaps in Hungary and Poland - but possibly much more to their west. I'm curious how many will see it as simple whinging though, I expect more than the Germans expect.

The Germans do have a point though. They invaded Rhomania and despoiled Macedonia and Bulgaria for a specific objective: making dat Wittelsbach lady Empress in her own right.

What was the point of Ulm and Wenneden? The Romans were clearly uninterested in the actual situation in Germany, so long as Rhomania was made safe from further German attacks. That could have been achieved in 1634 itself, Germany was already beaten. The events of 1635 were, in the Germans' eyes, Romans punching Germany despite its near-collapse just to make the Triunes' desires even easier.

To the Germans, the Triunes at least had some kind of honour in their war for Lotharingia.
The Romans had none, beating the Germans even when it was clear that they had lost, for no reason other than to perpetrate the very barbarities the Romans say they despise.
I don't know about you, but you seem to forget that the point of Ulm and Wenneden was to bring "Fire and Blood" to the Germans for their arrogant transgression that lead to the the deaths of 800,000 Romans not counting the miss birth-rates and other lesser death rates. Though it was not what the Demetrios had planned, the Romans in all forms of society had enough of the Latin invasions, they need to release that stem of immense hatred for people who kept attacking them just because they think that they are "right".

Triune Honor? I sure hope that alot of the Germans living on the western side of the rhine along other people who fought against the Triunes, remember what they exactly did years ago before the foolish endeavor of their Fake Emperor Theodore. Theodore has been told many times over to not go to war with Rhomania, it weakened their western border and endangered Lotharginians into fighting the Triunes by themselves alone.

If not many people do remember, I still hope that some will remember the events that lead to their catastrophic situation, well I think the Hohenzollern brothers (Bone-Breaker sons) will pretty much remember that. Considering that they stole the Duchy on Brandenburg (not really since they have a claim on those lands), suffice to say they do remember who made it possible, they hated the house of Wittelsbach enough. That they choosed Ottokar of Bohemia to lead the HRE (Fake).

Let me note here that over the top and implausible are entirely different beasts. I'm finding the German reaction perhaps not rational but entirely plausible.
Probably. As was said in this thread before, what may be described as implausible in alt history may have actually happened in real history. Real life is often implausible, and people aren't rational.

Basically, I'm doubtful that the Germans will get much sympathy to their east - perhaps in Hungary and Poland - but possibly much more to their west.
Coming from Balkans, I'd say German envoy would probably find a very fertile ground for anti Roman sentiment. Polish nobility (or at least king, be it's likely he influenced nobility) was zealously Catholic even pre-war, and Roman schismatics are probably their greatest bogeyman now - after all they just devastated parts of Catholic Germany and gave a large chunk of Polish territory to Vlachs.

Facts tend to be ignored when nationalistic and religious hate rages.

Coming from Balkans, I'd say German envoy would probably find a very fertile ground for anti Roman sentiment. Polish nobility (or at least king, be it's likely he influenced nobility) was zealously Catholic even pre-war, and Roman schismatics are probably their greatest bogeyman now - after all they just devastated parts of Catholic Germany and gave a large chunk of Polish territory to Vlachs.

Facts tend to be ignored when nationalistic and religious hate rages.
Territory which the Vlachs previously had, and which I think has more Orthodox populations. What are they going to do declare another war? The Romans, Russians, Prussians and Vlachs have both peaced out with Poland. They only took what they needed back and didn't take any additional territory with Polish ethnicity. The Germans are now completely botched up so the Polish allying with them wouldn't make sense considering their neighbor on the east (The Russians ofcourse) have finally settled down their grievances. Allying with the East is much more beneficial to Poland's already problematic geography, invading from the east is much, much more easier than the west will ever be.

Besides the current royal family of the Polish Throne is a grandson of one of the most powerful Russian states, who is also of course backed by other Russian Great lords, who mind you is also supported by the Romans due to his service during the Great Latin War.

I said the Germans had a point. I didn't say it is a particularly good one.

The point I was actually trying to make is that the Germans and Romans are blaming each other for waging war (plus, the Romans think Latins are bloodthirsty warmongering barbarians, while the Germans think Romans are bloodthirsty genocidal hypocrites, oooooh, I wonder what later eugenics will make of that), at a time when war is still very much a kind of diplomacy, which is dangerous, because it's exactly this kind of deep-seated irrational hatred that spawns the kind of madness that was the Second World War, and the seventeenth century, while still a lil early, is TTL still a good time for such hatreds to gestate, to be released sometime in the nineteenth century, if my opinions on diplomacy and technologial development in the future turn out to be correct.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind, so either kill the other guy entirely, or take a lesson in forgiveness (i.e. magnanimity, which is a trait sorely lacking in some people TTL). The Romans already have centuries of horrible atrocities that they hold the West responsible, and now the West has atrocities that it holds Rhomania responsible for. I think it is inevitable that this cycle of hatred fuels a World War unlike any ever seen, even in OTL.

I'm not saying that blaming the Germans for starting the war is wrong (they, or rather Theodor, did, and that's that), but saying that they deserve Ulm because they perpetrated the destructions of Macedonia and Thessaloniki and sundry other invasions in the past is like saying that 14 million Germans deserved to be driven from their homes because the Nazis started WW2, murdered 17 million people and the Kaiser started WW1 because he felt like it. Both sides' actions were unfair, it's a slap in the face to the people of Germany, especially in TTL since this time it wae basically just Theodor, and while in the aftermath of WW2 Germany was neutered throughly, TTL Germany still lives to fight, and will never forget this.

So, please, stop with the 'they really deserved it' preaching, that's just the Roman argument and we know it all too well already. It may soothe the ego of Romans, but do nothing else. In earlier times, Latin writers may have viewed Roman backlash against Latin atrocities in Rhomania as legitimate; but not after Ulm, no, not after Ulm. Venice was thought to be a one-off thing before; I can easily see the West think of the Romans as regular mass-murderers, especially after the unpleasantness of Mesopotamia.

Remember, long ago, that the French king lost the war against England and Burgundy because his troops massacred Autun (in a fashion quite similar to Ulm) and no one at all liked him for it, so the West is not quite being special with the Romans.

Now, faulting the Romans for this is almost as stupid as faulting the Germans, for pretty much the same reasons, so let us just agree that this was a very bad time for both and be on our way.

Blaze

Banned
Let's not forget that one of the original reasons for the worsening of the relations between Greeks and Latins, pre- Fourth Crusade was a "small" event called Massacre of the Latins, that by all accounts was a pretty horrid affair.
So the rhomans have a really thin to non-existent "glass-ceilling" regarding moral high ground against the Latins

I said the Germans had a point. I didn't say it is a particularly good one.

The point I was actually trying to make is that the Germans and Romans are blaming each other for waging war (plus, the Romans think Latins are bloodthirsty warmongering barbarians, while the Germans think Romans are bloodthirsty genocidal hypocrites, oooooh, I wonder what later eugenics will make of that), at a time when war is still very much a kind of diplomacy, which is dangerous, because it's exactly this kind of deep-seated irrational hatred that spawns the kind of madness that was the Second World War, and the seventeenth century, while still a lil early, is TTL still a good time for such hatreds to gestate, to be released sometime in the nineteenth century, if my opinions on diplomacy and technologial development in the future turn out to be correct.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind, so either kill the other guy entirely, or take a lesson in forgiveness (i.e. magnanimity, which is a trait sorely lacking in some people TTL). The Romans already have centuries of horrible atrocities that they hold the West responsible, and now the West has atrocities that it holds Rhomania responsible for. I think it is inevitable that this cycle of hatred fuels a World War unlike any ever seen, even in OTL.

I'm not saying that blaming the Germans for starting the war is wrong (they, or rather Theodor, did, and that's that), but saying that they deserve Ulm because they perpetrated the destructions of Macedonia and Thessaloniki and sundry other invasions in the past is like saying that 14 million Germans deserved to be driven from their homes because the Nazis started WW2, murdered 17 million people and the Kaiser started WW1 because he felt like it. Both sides' actions were unfair, it's a slap in the face to the people of Germany, especially in TTL since this time it wae basically just Theodor, and while in the aftermath of WW2 Germany was neutered throughly, TTL Germany still lives to fight, and will never forget this.

So, please, stop with the 'they really deserved it' preaching, that's just the Roman argument and we know it all too well already. It may soothe the ego of Romans, but do nothing else. In earlier times, Latin writers may have viewed Roman backlash against Latin atrocities in Rhomania as legitimate; but not after Ulm, no, not after Ulm. Venice was thought to be a one-off thing before; I can easily see the West think of the Romans as regular mass-murderers, especially after the unpleasantness of Mesopotamia.

Remember, long ago, that the French king lost the war against England and Burgundy because his troops massacred Autun (in a fashion quite similar to Ulm) and no one at all liked him for it, so the West is not quite being special with the Romans.

Now, faulting the Romans for this is almost as stupid as faulting the Germans, for pretty much the same reasons, so let us just agree that this was a very bad time for both and be on our way.
Wilhelm didn't start the ww1 though, ww1 started very confusing because all the countries that started to fight early had "very" complicated relationships. So blaming the Germans for starting ww1 is not applicable.

I agree that both sides certainly did many horrific acts, but I certainly don't believe that the Germans in this TTL should have the high ground on the argument. They started the conflict high in their horses and got smacked for it, plus it's not as if the Romans weren't punished for their aggressive behavior on western europe. The Romans will certainly remember that what they did was too far, but the deed is already done and they know that now. Their an empire with a history of making alot of stupid and brutal mistakes that costed them "alot". If anyone knows what the Germans are feeling right now, its them.

Last edited:
Romans and Germans. Always will fight each other Only I hope this time, the Romans wipe the Germans clean off the earth
I sincerely hope they don't Rhomania is best off defending it's allies and it's own territory in europe and consolidating it's future conquests in asia. The days of Augustus are long over, Germany in some form is here to stay and bogging themselves down in Europe just to get revenge again would be a horrible mistake

Yeah, this is at least partly the Roman's own fault (even if the war itself isn't). These are all supposed to be Christian nations; and yet both nations have forgotten some of Jesus Christ's most important teachings.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Matthew 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

So when Arles and co hear Roman excuses of "well they attacked us!" they just point to Mattew 5 and inform them that God (the guy the Basileus is the vicegerent for) says that that isn't a excuse.

Cryostorm

Donor
Well the Germans and the West will get their wish of little to no Rhoman involvement in Central and Northern Europe for a good generation or two. As to the German's feelings my personal feeling is if they don't want the consequences of war don't start one with a peer power.

Romans and Germans. Always will fight each other Only I hope this time, the Romans wipe the Germans clean off the earth
That's a really terrible opinion to have, to be frank. Even if the Romans and Latins (especially the Germans right now) actively hate each other, genocide is clearly something to be avoided. Even D3 did not desire this outcome of mass murder when confronted with chemical gas chambers on the Arabs/Latins.
----
The cycle of hatred continues it seems. While the Romans are mostly withdrawing from the European stage and their hatred for the Latins has been tamed, for the most part, the Germans clearly are left with seething hatred for Romania after the massacres at Ulm. This is clearly not good for the Romans, as the Germans will inevitably drag them back into another war in Europe once more. The fact that German national identity is being formed around a shared sorrow for the loss committed in the Great Latin War and the massacres of Ulm is both sad and very concerning, as they can easily blow this out of proportion with their revanchism, causing them to commit an even greater atrocity than what happened at Venice, Genoa, or Ulm. Let's hope that the Romans or the Germans/Latins do not reach towards that outcome as an eye for an eye will turn the whole world blind...with blood.

I think when it comes to the Triunes, the Spanish, or the Arletians in Nusantara, the Romans should act rather normally compared to their actions in Europe proper, so maybe we'll see some sanity return to Romania once they withdraw fully from Latin affairs.

The 17th century is halfway over and it's clear that we're hitting at a lull after the chaos that was the Great Latin War and the Italian Affair with Romania looking towards Island Asia while the Triunes are consolidating their gains in Lotharingia as others lick their wounds. However, the end is the important part of the story, as D3 said, and we might see some huge sparks fly once Odysseus takes the purple. I seriously can't wait for what is to come in 2021 and thank you B444 for everything.
----
EDIT: That von Nimitz, I hope his writing doesn't get put into actual action by the Germans. That's such a grandiose and farcical revenge plot that it'll burn Germany very, very badly if they actually try to play it out.
He's a philosopher and his ideas are clearly driven by the collective hatred of the Germans towards Romania, so I'd say that his idea for a pan-German crusade would be very popular. Let's hope that a more sane Emperor/Empress can prevent that sort of thing from happening.
----
Honestly we are very glad that a Roman Timur did not rise to the throne at such a turbulent time in history, because things would've been sent into the gutter if one actually got the reins.

I bet that there's some crazy Romanoboo ITTL that after discovering D3's inability to support the sodium hypochlorite project, made a timeline where D3 was a person that had ambition. That would be a rather dark piece of writing indeed.

Last edited:
Yeah we can hope for the HRE to be wiped off the earth but the german people are hardly responsible for the acts of their clusterfuck of a government. Hopefully the Romans will be able to distinguish people from the governments that opress and rule them in the future after all of the shit their gross nationalism has caused them

Yeah we can hope for the HRE to be wiped off the earth but the german people are hardly responsible for the acts of their clusterfuck of a government. Hopefully the Romans will be able to distinguish people from the governments that opress and rule them in the future after all of the shit their gross nationalism has caused them
The HRE under whatever leader doesn't to be doing too bad (The Wittelsbach Empress??) and I don't really blame the HRE itself for causing the Great Latin War and the woes that it's facing right now (A lot of people will rightfully point the blame at Theodor). However, it would be hard for any Roman to not separate the actions of the HRE/Germany and the German people with whatever stuff they will do against Romania because their response is directly tied to the ideas of revanchism and anti-Roman hatred currently seeping up from nobleman like von Nimitz as well as the lower classes.

Honestly, I don't think the Romans are completely immune from this gross nationalism either. While the Great Latin War and the Italian Affair have greatly tempered Roman aggression against the Latins, it's not like the war hawks or extremist factions in Romania have been completely excised from the Roman court and the people still really dislike Latins for the most part. A resurgence of Roman jingoism and aggression might be inevitable after Odysseus the Magnificent greatly magnifies Roman prestige and power, but who knows....they actually end up being less barbaric towards their Latin/Arab neighbors.

Actually, HanEmpire does make up a good point about how modern Roman education could seriously gloss over major atrocities that they committed like in OTL Japan because of nationalistic fervor. They might treat Ulm as a "minor case of brutality" even though it was a clear attempt at genocide against the Germans, which could cause some major friction between Germany and Romania if this trend continues for more recent conflicts in the modern era.

Let's not forget that one of the original reasons for the worsening of the relations between Greeks and Latins, pre- Fourth Crusade was a "small" event called Massacre of the Latins, that by all accounts was a pretty horrid affair.
So the rhomans have a really thin to non-existent "glass-ceilling" regarding moral high ground against the Latins
One might point to a handful of "minor" incidents prior to that

1. First Norman invasion of Byzantium
2. Violation of the treaty between the crusaders and Alexios in the 1st crusade on Bohemund's instigation and Antiochan war against the empire.
3. Second Norman invasion of Byzantium by Bohemund, backed by France (and likely pope Paschal II) in 1108.
4. Venetian attack against Byzantium when Ioannis II came to the throne.
5. Looting and attacks during the second crusade leading to open fighting between the imperial army and the Germans.
6. Third Norman invasion of Byzantium in 1147.
7. Sacking of Cyprus by Renault de Chatilon
8. Venetian war against Byzantium in 1172