An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Vince

Monthly Donor
Fantastic update! :)

I'm constantly fascinated by the consequences of the Roman punitive campaign during Theodor's folly. Admittedly this is in part combined with the issues in the foreign office, but whilst I understand the anti-Roman sentiment here, it does seem a bit rich all things considered.

Vauban and the HRE attack the Romans, which is the Triunes helping the Germans invade the Romans - defacto making them Triune Allies in that regard, so the fact that there is no "why the hell were you that stupid Germany?" sentiment visible leaves me a bit less than impressed with the Lotharingians here, and definately feeds into the idea of an unspoken double-standard, regardless of justification. It's a really interesting aspect of the narrative intentional or otherwise, but I still want to glare at the Lotharingians.

I did specifically check to look at what peace overtures were made/what happened at the time, and in fairness Elizabeth did try and end the war, and D3 is at fault here, ironically he's failed on the two big balance of power changes in Europe, with Henri winning both - damn. One specific bit that stood out was the subsidy idea that was proposed - and I think this is where I'd be curious to know what the Lotharingians were pushing for, if they had any understanding of the Roman mindset as a result of that war they'd have to be able to tell that any policy like that would get nowhere in Constantinople at the time, so I'd be curious to know what they had done to create a peace.

I might have missed it re-reading, but it'd be interesting reading to know whether there was any proto-Italy resolution conversations regarding Germany, and what the Lotharingian perspective on that war was, especially their opinion of the HRE essentially leveraging Triune and Polish support for a war

Though, whilst I've Lotharingia on the mind, I'm curious, the whole "wars beyond the line" treaty, I forget which it is, does that apply to the Triunes and Lotharingia too? Just because with the Lotharingians being somewhat anti-Roman, I can't imagine that has no risk of causing a flashpoint in Rhomania in the East, which would be an ironic twist to essentially cause the long-feared Triune-Roman war on the far side of the world.

I can't exactly blame the Romans at this point for upsetting the balance of power. They're still seeing red at Theodore and Germany for devastating their homes and want them to suffer. I would honestly expect the concept of Schadenfreude to originate in Greece and not Germany in this TL.

I'm likening Henry to be the Trinue equivalent of Andreas. As in like Andreas, Henri made massive gains for his country only to have it experience turmoil after his death.

How are the Siddi dynasties doing in India? Is Janjira state vassals of Vijaynagar or have been co-opted into the administration/army and been given lots of autonomy? Also, have links between them and Ethiopia been restored, given it's involvement in the subcontinent and their common Abyssinian heritage?

Preview of europe.jpg

Alright so I have more or less finished mapping Europe and have implemented the new Triune borders as of the newest update, Vassalized Lotharingia can be seen In light pink. Perhaps I am a bit biased seeing as I made it but I think Europe came out looking pretty good all things considered, obviously the little bits of Africa and Asia that are shown look pretty rough as I have barely started working on them. I also tried to give Vlachia more of Hungary hopefully it looks a bit better now. When I'm done with the entire world I aim to create a comprehensive color key to help people identify which country is which.

As always let me know how you think I can improve this map and make it more accurate, It's a project of mine that I'm quite committed too and it's been cool to try and hone my skills and attempt to make a map that (somewhat) mirrors the quality of the miraculous timeline it's based off of.

@Frame thanks for the map, that's awesome!

It is weird but with the map in this detail you can really get a sense for the relative sizes that in pure narrative form you could be forgiven for missing. The sheer size of Hungary considering it's position pre-war, the shockingly small size of non-Bohemian/Bavarian HRE.

Is it possible to get a version of that map with the different alliance blocs highlighted by any chance? Whilst it is probably easy enough for some readers, it'd be interesting to see the balance of alliance blocs in Europe at the moment.

@Frame thanks for the map, that's awesome!

It is weird but with the map in this detail you can really get a sense for the relative sizes that in pure narrative form you could be forgiven for missing. The sheer size of Hungary considering it's position pre-war, the shockingly small size of non-Bohemian/Bavarian HRE.

Is it possible to get a version of that map with the different alliance blocs highlighted by any chance? Whilst it is probably easy enough for some readers, it'd be interesting to see the balance of alliance blocs in Europe at the moment.
Yeah i can totally do that!

Is there anyway that the HRE borders can be clearly drawn after the Lotharingian conquests? It's not completely necessary but it would be nice to compare the territory of the HRE compared to OTL.

Fantastic work as always Frame (This timeline would be a lot more confusing to track without visual maps, especially ones of this detail).

Is there anyway that the HRE borders can be clearly drawn after the Lotharingian conquests? It's not completely necessary but it would be nice to compare the territory of the HRE compared to OTL.

Fantastic work as always Frame (This timeline would be a lot more confusing to track without visual maps, especially ones of this detail).
I actually do have the borders of the Hre drawn although due to it's color its not really easy to make out. Ill try making the outline a bit thicker or a more different color to help it stick out

View attachment 608710
Alright so I have more or less finished mapping Europe and have implemented the new Triune borders as of the newest update, Vassalized Lotharingia can be seen In light pink. Perhaps I am a bit biased seeing as I made it but I think Europe came out looking pretty good all things considered, obviously the little bits of Africa and Asia that are shown look pretty rough as I have barely started working on them. I also tried to give Vlachia more of Hungary hopefully it looks a bit better now. When I'm done with the entire world I aim to create a comprehensive color key to help people identify which country is which.

As always let me know how you think I can improve this map and make it more accurate, It's a project of mine that I'm quite committed too and it's been cool to try and hone my skills and attempt to make a map that (somewhat) mirrors the quality of the miraculous timeline it's based off of.
Is Vlachian control of gallicia that really big?

I'm not sure but hopfully b444 can clairify
As far as I know the Gallician lands is only east of the carpathian mountains not on its north. The region would be the Slovakian lands, with either Hungary or Poland controlling it. I'm basing it on historical basis as well a few other games that I've played with.

I'm so glad Lotharingia is still alive in some form they are my favorite country in this tl besides Rhomania and her Despotates

Last edited:
I think the Hungarian-Vlach borders haven't changed since the 1634 map
But the borders do extend further westward in the 1634 map. It seems that Instead of following the downward course of the Mureș River, the Apuseni mountains are also included within the borders.

edit: also, can I suggest using a different colour for Lotharingia? The colour used seems quite similar to the Triunes (unless it's intentional)

Last edited:
edit: also, can I suggest using a different colour for Lotharingia? The colour used seems quite similar to the Triunes (unless it's intentional)
It's probably in a lighter shade of color similar to the Triunes due to their vassal status (This tends to be standard practice in maps when it comes to vassal/tributary states and their overlords).

It could certainly be a bit more distinct though since it's kinda hard to differentiate Lotharingia and France, possibly due to the light salmon color that the Triunes have.

It's probably in a lighter shade of color similar to the Triunes due to their vassal status
But Albrecht still has his royal crown and he hasn't sworn fealty to Henri. I know the last paragraph of the latest update outlines Henri's aims but I think they still remain long term goals rather than what has already been achieved.

I wonder whether Henri also directly annex every HRE member on the left bank like Cologne, Mainz and Koblenz?

But Albrecht still has his royal crown and he hasn't sworn fealty to Henri. I know the last paragraph of the latest update outlines Henri's aims but I think they still remain long term goals rather than what has already been achieved.
The most recent post from B444 suggests otherwise:
Albrecht III still has his crown, retreating to his holdings on the right bank of the Rhine. They are still respectable in size, but definitely a poor cousin to the lands he lost. His new capital of Amsterdam is described as a ‘moderately prosperous cheese-port’, a far cry from Antwerp, one of the three great marts of Christendom alongside Lisbon and Constantinople. Furthermore he is now a vassal of the Triune Emperor, Henri II.
As for his designs for the HRE, I agree that these have to be more long-term goals past the Lotharingian War, although I doubt he'll attempt to annex any more lands than he has now. More likely that he will create a network of vassal states in the Rhineland from his future conquests as stated in the post, though whether he has any ambition past this point is uncertain, like becoming Holy Roman Emperor or even destroying the HRE itself (both are unlikely but one can speculate).

My bad, I re-read it multiple times and still managed to miss those crucial 10 words. Thanks for pointing it out to me

More likely that he will create a network of vassal states in the Rhineland from his future conquests as stated in the post, though whether he has any ambition past this point is uncertain, like becoming Holy Roman Emperor or even destroying the HRE itself (both are unlikely but one can speculate).
Maybe his next big target will be the EOTN. To secure the North Sea, Scotland must be secured too. If he wants to make inroads in the Baltic, the EOTN must be taken down a notch or two.

Control of Scotland seems like the Triunes best bet to both satiate England by giving it some new subjects to exploit and because expanding anymore into the mainland is bound to cause a nasty coalition eventually