An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

The isles could always pull an Al Andalus and ask to become a Roman vassle to protect their independence

I like this because it gives the romans additional bases/naval power in the western med which essentially turns the med into a Roman Lake (mare nostrum) - if the Roman could get Gibraltar or a Morocco port like Tangier on the other side of the strait that would seal with deal

I like this because it gives the romans additional bases/naval power in the western med which essentially turns the med into a Roman Lake (mare nostrum) - if the Roman could get Gibraltar or a Morocco port like Tangier on the other side of the strait that would seal with deal
Idk I feel like the Roman effort would best spent in the Spice trade in the Indian oncean than fighting pirates 24/7

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Idk I feel like the Roman effort would best spent in the Spice trade in the Indian oncean than fighting pirates 24/7
Yeah, there is no real reason for them to want the Western Mediterranean since with Carthage-Malta-Sicily-Calbria under Rhomania the Eastern Mediterranean, which is far more wealthy and has actual trade, is completely locked up. Anything else is best sent east to secure Rhoman strategic and economic goals while the Marinids and Spanish annoy each other.

What do Rhomans think of Hungarians? I find it hard to believe that they would trust them considering their rocky history

What do Rhomans think of Hungarians? I find it hard to believe that they would trust them considering their rocky history

They won't probably trust each other for a long while (at gut level), but for the Hungarians the alliance has already paid off handsomely (and will prevent German revanchism for a long time), same for the Romans, but in the longer run (a comfy buffer is always welcome). Clearly any veteran can't be asked to love the "allies".

They won't probably trust each other for a long while (at gut level), but for the Hungarians the alliance has already paid off handsomely (and will prevent German revanchism for a long time), same for the Romans, but in the longer run (a comfy buffer is always welcome). Clearly any veteran can't be asked to love the "allies".

I'm curious in the long term to see how that relationship develops. The Hungarians are basically the frontier of the Roman World in Central Europe, like the Vlachs in Eastern Europe. Whilst the Vlachs have a long history of friendship, I wonder if the Hungarians will develop anything of the kind.

I'd also be curious to see where the Hungarians ambitions go next. It might take a generation, but it doesn't seem absurd to me to see the Hungarians engineer a scheme to rise to power in Bohemia/SE Germany somehow, and dominate that region.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Of all the countries in Eastern Europe I wonder about the long term sustainability of Poland, it now has no, or almost no, coast line and no clear path for expansion as south brings the whole Rhomanian world on them and east and north does the same with the Russians. West may bee viable short term but long term Germany is just stronger and any short term gains will result in Germany aiming their sights for them.

Honestly long term Poland might be best off voluntarily joining either the rebranded HRE/German Empire or united Russian Empire as a highly autonomous kingdom.

So was Serbia reintegrated into the domain of Rhomania post war of Rhoman Succession, or were they allowed independence? I mean, after the 'battle' of Thessaloniki its not like Rhomania couldn't have reconquered Serbia with such a modern military of the time. Unless they've been reduced to vassalage?

Btw, @Frame, I believe you are missing the Southern Wu who have taken the Sydney area of Australia and the Northwest of Australia. I don't know if they delved into the interior other than consolidating some native tribes, otherwise I love the map. Good work!

Also, @Basileus444 would it be possible for you to list the main books used for the writing of this truly awesome TL?

Don't tell the Poles that, they'll make you a head shorter. And then they'll kill the Dowager Regent for selling Poland out and trigger a civil war.

What Poland needs is a strong defensive alliance to shore up one of their two fronts so that they can focus on one. Used to be that Poland's alliance with the HRE kept the west peaceful while freeing the Poles to invade the Russians and Lithuanians, but Theodor's suicide of the HRE has changed everything.

These are the current strategic conditions relevant to Poland:
-HRE collapsing and Germanies fending for themselves
-Scandinavians attacking Germany
-Scandinavian peace treaty with Prussia and Russians
-Carpathians and Sudetes separating Poland from war-exhausted Hungary and HRE-focused Czechs
-Roman ascendancy in recent years
-increasing Russian/Lithuanian recovery and cooperation
-Prussian war exhaustion

Given these circumstances, it's clear that the Germanies, Prussia, and Scandinavia pose no real threat to Poland in the foreseeable future while the easterners do. Thus Poland would be better off making a definitive and lasting peace treaty with the Zemsky Sobor member states to keep the Orthodox states peaceable. Outstanding territorial disputes have already been settled, so Poland can now work to improve trade and cultural ties with the east to discourage any desire for military adventures against Poland for fear of disrupting the profitable status quo. This will naturally draw Russian attention away from ideas of contentious western expansion and instead towards the Muslims and the relatively empty expanses of Siberia.

The strengthened economy and lack of threat to the east can then allow Poland to focus their military attention exclusively to the west, where they can strike out at the disunited Germanies and start taking strategic locations to shore up the western frontier. For instance Danzig/Gdansk (who owns this now?) is a key port city that'll allow Poland to cut a whole load of middle men out of the Polish grain export to Western Europe right when demand will start skyrocketing due to the wars and early capitalists turning the land over to cash crops. If the Polish Crown can dominate that it'll make them rich enough to solidify their position for generations to come.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
So was Serbia reintegrated into the domain of Rhomania post war of Rhoman Succession, or were they allowed independence? I mean, after the 'battle' of Thessaloniki its not like Rhomania couldn't have reconquered Serbia with such a modern military of the time. Unless they've been reduced to vassalage?

Btw, @Frame, I believe you are missing the Southern Wu who have taken the Sydney area of Australia and the Northwest of Australia. I don't know if they delved into the interior other than consolidating some native tribes, otherwise I love the map. Good work!

Also, @Basileus444 would it be possible for you to list the main books used for the writing of this truly awesome TL?
They are an independent kingdom but deeply tied to Rhomania, they have a garrison in Belgrade and give them rather good tariffs on trade since they essentially control all of the Balkan coast and the upper Danube.

The Wu collapsed a couple centuries ago with the wealthy leaving and the poor assimilating into the Aboriginal population, which is really going to drive future geneticists crazy I bet.

Last edited:

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Don't tell the Poles that, they'll make you a head shorter. And then they'll kill the Dowager Regent for selling Poland out and trigger a civil war.

What Poland needs is a strong defensive alliance to shore up one of their two fronts so that they can focus on one. Used to be that Poland's alliance with the HRE kept the west peaceful while freeing the Poles to invade the Russians and Lithuanians, but Theodor's suicide of the HRE has changed everything.

These are the current strategic conditions relevant to Poland:
-HRE collapsing and Germanies fending for themselves
-Scandinavians attacking Germany
-Scandinavian peace treaty with Prussia and Russians
-Carpathians and Sudetes separating Poland from war-exhausted Hungary and HRE-focused Czechs
-Roman ascendancy in recent years
-increasing Russian/Lithuanian recovery and cooperation
-Prussian war exhaustion

Given these circumstances, it's clear that the Germanies, Prussia, and Scandinavia pose no real threat to Poland in the foreseeable future while the easterners do. Thus Poland would be better off making a definitive and lasting peace treaty with the Zemsky Sobor member states to keep the Orthodox states peaceable. Outstanding territorial disputes have already been settled, so Poland can now work to improve trade and cultural ties with the east to discourage any desire for military adventures against Poland for fear of disrupting the profitable status quo. This will naturally draw Russian attention away from ideas of contentious western expansion and instead towards the Muslims and the relatively empty expanses of Siberia.

The strengthened economy and lack of threat to the east can then allow Poland to focus their military attention exclusively to the west, where they can strike out at the disunited Germanies and start taking strategic locations to shore up the western frontier. For instance Danzig/Gdansk (who owns this now?) is a key port city that'll allow Poland to cut a whole load of middle men out of the Polish grain export to Western Europe right when demand will start skyrocketing due to the wars and early capitalists turning the land over to cash crops. If the Polish Crown can dominate that it'll make them rich enough to solidify their position for generations to come.
From what I can tell all of Prussia and Pomerelia, including Danzig/Gdansk, is in Prussian and therefore future Russian hands. Plus North Germany is far from tired and can actually defend it's lands since it has been mostly untouched and by the time Poland recovers so too will have Germany.

Here’s my wacky prediction map for Europe. I was probably a bit overgenerous to Rhome but a fanboys gonna fanboy

Edit: crap forgot the Rhine war was a thing lol. Just imagine Lothringia as pink

Attachments

• 904D2CCD-ED5A-43C4-AB19-874CA0DE1DA9.jpeg
    904D2CCD-ED5A-43C4-AB19-874CA0DE1DA9.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 487

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Here’s my wacky prediction map for Europe. I was probably a bit overgenerous to Rhome but a fanboys gonna fanboy

Edit: crap forgot the Rhine war was a thing lol. Just imagine Lothringia as pink
Personally I would go less in Mesopotamia and more in North Africa but that is just me.

I know it’s been hinted that the Romans are gonna go for Mesopotamia but I’m amazed after centuries of difficulty in Syria/Levantine and Egypt that anyone in the government/military would countenance such a move. Like if D3 says he’s gonna take some level of control there it’s cause for a coup

I know it’s been hinted that the Romans are gonna go for Mesopotamia but I’m amazed after centuries of difficulty in Syria/Levantine and Egypt that anyone in the government/military would countenance such a move. Like if D3 says he’s gonna take some level of control there it’s cause for a coup
Yeah that’s true they’d be much better off keeping Mesopotamia as a neutral/friendly buffer

Personally I would go less in Mesopotamia and more in North Africa but that is just me.

Same. Mesopotamia is only connected to core Rome by land with many angry muslims on it, Maghreb at least has sea lines of communication. At this tech level it's much easier empire to maintain.

The attacker in this case is a quite large and disciplined peasant band, led by a red-bearded ex-sergeant named Friedrich Zimmermann, who has turned the farmers and laborers under his command into capable bushwhackers and skirmishers in a surprisingly short time.

Looks like Friedrich is shaping up to be the German Andreas Drakos. Now that peace has been made with Romans I'd imagine he'd venture West with his ever growing army, with south east Germany ravaged the best way to survive is to wage guerrilla warfare on the Triunes and seize their supplies.