An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

in the stage between they will be especially vulnerable and German not a good example because they are the diffrent example. Also won't Russia be a better example with Peter the great doing similar stuff. Why woudln't it go the way of russia a vast multi-ethnicc state with minitory that hate it
?
What do you mean? Peter the Great did not industrialize Russia. Russia didn't even get rid of serfdom until a century and a half after his time, and even then it tried to maintain social and economic stratification right up to the Bolshevik Revolution.

The Empire on the other hand has cultural & ethnic majority in the Greek-speaking peoples, has incredibly high literacy for a pre-industrial state further pushing the Imperial Greek culture, allows social mobility for well-to-do commoners, has high administrative efficiency, has extensive road networks and shipping routes throughout its core territories, and is building up strong university & schooling traditions roughly analogous to 19th century Germany.

Going by your argument I can say that it won't go the way of Russia since Russia is a different example.

?
What do you mean? Peter the Great did not industrialize Russia. Russia didn't even get rid of serfdom until a century and a half after his time, and even then it tried to maintain social and economic stratification right up to the Bolshevik Revolution.

The Empire on the other hand has cultural & ethnic majority in the Greek-speaking peoples, has incredibly high literacy for a pre-industrial state further pushing the Imperial Greek culture, allows social mobility for well-to-do commoners, has high administrative efficiency, has extensive road networks and shipping routes throughout its core territories, and is building up strong university & schooling traditions roughly analogous to 19th century Germany.
nvm

Within a 2 day march of those coasts, a field army of 200,000 can be sustained, particularly if suitable arrangements are made in advance. I recommend that the aplekton [1] at Abydos be enlarged…”
Well that's ominous, sounds like the Allies have pushed into Thrace. Constantinople is the anvil, while the hammer will swing in from across the straits?

It's interesting that the army has expanded so rapidly, how aware are the Allies of these developments? Seems like Demetrios is winning the intelligence war, would be disastrous for the Allies if they reach Constantinople only to find that the Roman army has doubled in size.

Roman taxpayers are divided into four brackets. Anyone who paid less than 16 hyperpyra in tax that year keeps their peacetime rate, which Demetrios thinks is fair since this is the socioeconomic group that is providing most of the new recruits for the army and navy. The other brackets are 17-30, 31-80, and 80+ hyperpyra, with each higher bracket having their tax upped by a larger percentage.

Naturally those in the higher brackets (which make up less than 25% of the taxpaying populace) are outraged but Demetrios promises that this is merely a wartime expedient that will be canceled once the crisis has ended. He is telling the truth as this is not the tax reform system he drew up for Andreas III. He doesn’t think this is the proper time for such major revamping as he has planned; he can’t afford any stalling in the money flow.
Demetrios will certainly repeal this tax when the war ends, wink wink. Governments using wartime expenses to pass through major taxes is nothing new. Major taxes in some of the Western nations these days were "temporary" taxes implemented during WW1/WW2 for example.
Incidentally Theodor hears of the grumbling and sees that as further evidence that if he manages to break into the heart of the Empire, he’ll get the internal support he needs to secure his claim.
I love this incomprehension on Theodor's part. He honestly believes this war can be won. It's almost endearing, in a pathetic kind of way.

Theodor is going to be horribly overstretched, he must be struggling to replace his losses. The farther he advances his shaky supply line is more overstretched, and more garrison troops used. A major defeat outside of Constantinople, he will have a fleeing army disintegrating before his eyes, returning to territory already plundered of food.

Will these major reforms along with the newfound &/or reinforced confidence in their military and financial situation encourage a baby boom in the Empire after the war?

Last edited:
I just noticed your signature. :D Love the callback. How long have I been oblivious to it?

You’re not oblivious at all, it’s a recent addition. The pdfs you’ve been releasing for the patreon inspired me to reread the whole thing! I had forgotten he was first mentioned as second-in-line to the crown of Lombardy x'D I wonder if the “king of the cows” will ever avenge him... *cough* Vijayanagara *cough*

Great update, love all the stuff Demetrios is doing to make the Empire a logistical juggernaut.

I'm loving Demetrios. While warrior Emperors were great in the past, in this age states need administrators, not generals.

The D3 gun is OTL a British gun developed in the 1720's, technology is developing nicely.

Roman Empire is going modern!

-Centralized Banking System
-Fractional Reserve Banking
-Stock Markets
-National Newspapers
-Semaphore Telegraphs
-Tax Brackets
-National Post System
-War Bonds
-Interchangeable Parts
-Standardization of Units of Measurement
-Proto-Industrialization

This is great.

You’re not oblivious at all, it’s a recent addition. The pdfs you’ve been releasing for the patreon inspired me to reread the whole thing! I had forgotten he was first mentioned as second-in-line to the crown of Lombardy x'D I wonder if the “king of the cows” will ever avenge him... *cough* Vijayanagara *cough*

Great update, love all the stuff Demetrios is doing to make the Empire a logistical juggernaut.

I'm loving Demetrios. While warrior Emperors were great in the past, in this age states need administrators, not generals.

The D3 gun is OTL a British gun developed in the 1720's, technology is developing nicely.

The Roman empire looks like they are still like the super power(elephant) in Europe, Far stronger than during Andreas Niketas time.

During Andreas Niketas time, the weight Rome was throwing around was due to Andreas Niketas capability. Even at the Battle of Cannae, Andreas never outnumbered the Latins to this degree. If I remember correctly, Andreas was outnumbered and outgunned(more cannons) by the Latins. He won it thru flanking the Latin position than the full force of the Empire.

The Roman empire looks like they are still like the super power(elephant) in Europe, Far stronger than during Andreas Niketas time.

During Andreas Niketas time, the weight Rome was throwing around was due to Andreas Niketas capability. Even at the Battle of Cannae, Andreas never outnumbered the Latins to this degree. If I remember correctly, Andreas was outnumbered and outgunned(more cannons) by the Latins. He won it thru flanking the Latin position than the full force of the Empire.
Don't worry, the inevitable catastrophic defeat Romans will get soon should fix that issue.

Deleted member 67076

A part of me fears the economy will overheat and be substantially damaged that way more so than the actual wartime crunch. Although I suppose both are likely to be linked.

The HRE and the UKs are still bigger than the Romans, in population and material resources. The Romans are just better able to harness and utilise theirs. Once Latin institutions catch up, they'll easily out match anyone in Europe, save for a reunited Russia.

The HRE and the UKs are still bigger than the Romans, in population and material resources. The Romans are just better able to harness and utilise theirs. Once Latin institutions catch up, they'll easily out match anyone in Europe, save for a reunited Russia.
Unlikely to last, industrialization will hit their populations the same and the Roman Empire is larger, soil exhaustion will give way to tractors and fertiliser. Turkey with Anatolia alone has a population of near 90 million today, certainly the Empire will surpass that and most likely all other European states bar Russia TTL.

Unlikely to last, industrialization will hit their populations the same and the Roman Empire is larger, soil exhaustion will give way to tractors and fertiliser. Turkey with Anatolia alone has a population of near 90 million today, certainly the Empire will surpass that and most likely all other European states bar Russia TTL.
The Empire's ethnic policy will play a large role as well. We know that the Western European nations will adopt scientific racism and treat non-European ethnicities as secondary citizens at best, while the Roman Empire classifies people based on their culture.

The Empire's ethnic policy will play a large role as well. We know that the Western European nations will adopt scientific racism and treat non-European ethnicities as secondary citizens at best, while the Roman Empire classifies people based on their culture.
You're treating it like this is a predetermined thing. There's still the possibility of cultural change in both the Romans and the broader European culture.

You're treating it like this is a predetermined thing. There's still the possibility of cultural change in both the Romans and the broader European culture.
Perhaps, but we know from the future POV snippet that the Roman Empire considers everyone that speaks Greek "Imperial Greek", no matter what they look like. The Triune historian was expressing disgust at the "backward" Greek propensity to ignore modern things like blood purity.

Ofc that could be the historian's bias coming through, but having a highly placed academic to spout that kind of hard racism implies much.