America Eterna: The History of the Federal Kingdom of America-My First Official TL

Parliamentary System yes, Labour maybe.

Leaving my politics aside, on a purely sociological level, the existence of a monarchy and a titled nobility in a country tends to predicate the existence of mass based labour politics. Not to be hostile, but that's what the research suggests. The existence of entrenched feudal structures historically have served as a catalyst for mass opposition. In Britain, it was the fight against the influence of the House of Lords and titled nobility that build a political labor movement. And, if Louis Hartz is to be believed, it was precisely America's liberal, republican traditions that made the existence of labor politics impossible in the US.

Now, I disagree with his central thesis (I wrote my term paper for my parties and election's class critiquing his thesis), but I don't deny that it is an important factor in the grand scheme.

Leaving my politics aside, on a purely sociological level, the existence of a monarchy and a titled nobility in a country tends to predicate the existence of mass based labour politics. Not to be hostile, but that's what the research suggests. The existence of entrenched feudal structures historically have served as a catalyst for mass opposition. In Britain, it was the fight against the influence of the House of Lords and titled nobility that build a political labor movement. And, if Louis Hartz is to be believed, it was precisely America's liberal, republican traditions that made the existence of labor politics impossible in the US.

Now, I disagree with his central thesis (I wrote my term paper for my parties and election's class critiquing his thesis), but I don't deny that it is an important factor in the grand scheme.

America is going to wind up with what I am tentatively calling "Republican Monarchism".

Wolfpaw

Banned
Wolf,

I know it's a bit tardy to bring this up, but I was wondering something. You mentioned that the FKA is going to develop Republican Monarchism. Does this mean that, instead of a parliamentary system developing, a more republican one shall? Basically the current American system (with a few alterations, of course) but with a ceremonial monarch?

I only ask because it seems to me that by the time Washington accepts the crown, republicanism and congressionalism is already thoroughly ingrained into the American style of governance. Would they really surrender it in favor of parliamentarianism just because they have a monarch?

My (somewhat irritatingly) anal critique aside, I'm really enjoying this and cannot wait until your next update!

-Your fellow lupine

Wolf,

I know it's a bit tardy to bring this up, but I was wondering something. You mentioned that the FKA is going to develop Republican Monarchism. Does this mean that, instead of a parliamentary system developing, a more republican one shall? Basically the current American system (with a few alterations, of course) but with a ceremonial monarch?

I only ask because it seems to me that by the time Washington accepts the crown, republicanism and congressionalism is already thoroughly ingrained into the American style of governance. Would they really surrender it in favor of parliamentarianism just because they have a monarch?

My (somewhat irritatingly) anal critique aside, I'm really enjoying this and cannot wait until your next update!

-Your fellow lupine

I still plan on having a Parliamentary system and the monarch does have some powers. But the Supreme Court (or High Court whatever I may call it) and the Congress (both the House and the Senate [which is the House of Lords]) have cheques on the King and the King on them.

But the way I plan to have it go down is while the King is head of state the King concerns himself with foreign and military affairs (and some financial ones too-mainly do to Hamilton's example) while the Proconsul (OTL's Prime Minister/President) concern's himself with domestic issues. Although the King attends Cabinet meetings.

As to the public accepting it: basically if George Washington is for it they'll go for it.

Nice. I'd love to contribute a .5 to this sometime.
Sure go ahead. Just PM and we'll work out the details.

Wolf, I think that the King will have major control over early FKA government but have a king anger them to the point that they slowly take more and more power away from the King like what Parliament did to Charles II. Also Wolf, If America is going to be a fusion of Monarchy and Democracy expect France to retain Louis 16 as King instead of killing him, warrent he will be only cerimonial but he wont be dead, this might cause Napoleon never to rise above the rank of General or you could have him become Marshal of France after sucessfully putting down revolts against Louis 16 and then marry Louis 16th daughter and Civil War it up between Louis 17th and Napoleon following Louis 16th death. That one seems more interesting but much more difficult to accomplish

Wolf, I think that the King will have major control over early FKA government but have a king anger them to the point that they slowly take more and more power away from the King like what Parliament did to Charles II. Also Wolf, If America is going to be a fusion of Monarchy and Democracy expect France to retain Louis 16 as King instead of killing him, warrent he will be only cerimonial but he wont be dead, this might cause Napoleon never to rise above the rank of General or you could have him become Marshal of France after sucessfully putting down revolts against Louis 16 and then marry Louis 16th daughter and Civil War it up between Louis 17th and Napoleon following Louis 16th death. That one seems more interesting but much more difficult to accomplish

I haven't thought about that quite yet. But I had figured that there would be gradual reform over time to where by 2009 the King is still part of the government but the Proconsul has a lot more power.

As to the French Revolution. A Revolution was bound to happen at some point. IOTL the ARW just helped in a big way.

The thing is that the Bourbons were too corrupt to reform and when they tried it was too late. There will be a Revolution and there will be blood.

Well, I have always believed that reform was possible until 1789, when Louis 16th offically sided with the 1st and 2nd Estate over the 3rd Estate. Louis made an excuse to disband the Estates General after it appeared like the 3rd Estate was going to reform the Estates General and destroy the power of the 1st and 2nd Estate. Louis 16th disbanding this meeting led to the Tennis Court Oath and that set in motion the revolution... Louis 16th had been called Good King Louis up until this moment because many peasants felt that Louis was a pawn of the nobles but after his public siding against the 3rd Estate that was no longer the case. Had Louis 16th done what Louis 15th had done which was side with the peasants over the nobles it is likely he would have kept his head and revolution adverted for at least a few years.

Well, I have always believed that reform was possible until 1789, when Louis 16th offically sided with the 1st and 2nd Estate over the 3rd Estate. Louis made an excuse to disband the Estates General after it appeared like the 3rd Estate was going to reform the Estates General and destroy the power of the 1st and 2nd Estate. Louis 16th disbanding this meeting led to the Tennis Court Oath and that set in motion the revolution... Louis 16th had been called Good King Louis up until this moment because many peasants felt that Louis was a pawn of the nobles but after his public siding against the 3rd Estate that was no longer the case. Had Louis 16th done what Louis 15th had done which was side with the peasants over the nobles it is likely he would have kept his head and revolution adverted for at least a few years.

Well I still want a French Revolution, if nothing else for the effects in Europe.

If I may ... how about Representative, Popular or Consulary Monarchism (Republican sound to unmonarchal, even antiroyalist).

Those do sound better. I just pulled the term "Republican Monarchism" out of my ass.

:D I never said there wouldnt be a French Revolution just one at a later date, which will give you more room to choose what happens

I think it will be at approximatley the same time as OTL. But the campaign against Napoleon will end rather early thanks to Andrew Jackson.:D

But TTL is not for Francophiles. Or Russophiles and to a lesser degree Austrophiles.

I would still like to see Bonapart-Bourbon on the French Throne following Napoleon's defeat caused by Napoleon marrying Louis 16th oldest daughter or a Bonapart-Romonav. A Bonapart on the French throne just seems so interesting

I would still like to see Bonapart-Bourbon on the French Throne following Napoleon's defeat caused by Napoleon marrying Louis 16th oldest daughter or a Bonapart-Romonav. A Bonapart on the French throne just seems so interesting

Would the British allow that though?

Wolfpaw

Banned
Still I need France along with Russia and Austria to play the perennial bad guys.

They can still be baddies. They were blatantly expansionist and (largely) reactionary powers, after all. And you could always just have Charles X hold on to the throne after France's experiments with revolution and Bonapartist adventurism. He was the last monarch to try and reinstitue Legitimism as official French policy.