Status
Not open for further replies.
Not very good at infoboxes, but here's GOPocalypse
Edit: Wow, kept the 1992 in lol

2016%20Alt%20Election_zpsk4raa09j.png

Last edited:

Chicxulub

Banned
Here is how the 2015 Canadian Federal Election would have turned out if it was held at the peak of NDP support, specifically on August 24, 2015.

p87oJlL.jpg

So, did these three once I saw a news article pop up about how Trump's candidacy could possibly have thrown the GOP's control of the House of Representatives into contention after everyone had written it off until 2022.

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened.

That's very possible. Mulcair is an ultra-moderate with policies identical to the Liberals. The two could certainly see an approchement.

Except there's apparently bad blood between Mulcair and Trudeau, and with the NDP already having a plurality of seats I don't think they'd feel the need to bring the Liberals into government with them, even if it means a majority.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
He's Jewish, so no.

"Son of Polish Immigrants", my ass.:mad:

I know. But there is a huge, huge, HUGE difference between "Jew from Poland" and "Polish"; f'r example, I had a teacher who caused a Polish-American scholarship fund to rewrite their rules when they realized they'd paid for a Jew's tuition.

Then again, I may just be still irrationally angry about that "son of Polish immigrants" statement.

You know, there was someone who thought just the way you do knocking around in Europe about 80 years ago.

Be EVER so grateful that I am assuming this is just a brain cramp and not what it looks like.

You ever pull this again and you are in Coventry.

Kicked for a week.

I take a lot of issue with your 2008 map, but it's good otherwise.

I agree. The Clintons were popular among blacks, and Hillary probably could have won Virginia, although probably not North Carolina. She would have also probably won in Missouri (Obama barely lost in it IOTL, and Clinton would probably win it by a narrow margin, and maybe even Arkansas, although I don't think that's terribly likely.

I agree. The Clintons were popular among blacks, and Hillary probably could have won Virginia, although probably not North Carolina. She would have also probably won in Missouri (Obama barely lost in it IOTL, and Clinton would probably win it by a narrow margin, and maybe even Arkansas, although I don't think that's terribly likely.

I imagine Virginia, North Carolina and Missouri were close, but ITTL Clinton ran a worse campaign than OTL Obama. She failed to energize the youth and black vote to the extend that Obama did and was dogged by her support for the Iraq war. With a more hawkish opponent, McCain got to flex his war-hero status more and wasn't weighed down by Palin thanks to Hillary's lockdown on the women's vote leading him to reluctantly pick a "safe" VP. Indiana flips blue by a whisker thanks to Bayh.

I Like Ike
Or, How the American People Liked Ike So Much they Voted Democratic for Twenty-Eight Years

Eisenhower does not announce he's a Republican nor his candidacy and does not run as a Republican in 1952, leading to overwhelming Taft wins in the primaries. As a result, Eisenhower announces he is running for the presidency as a Democrat immediately after Truman drops out, wishing to stop the seemingly inevitable victory of Taft the isolationist. He sweeps the Democratic primaries and, despite some lack of political knowledge such as not knowing that the presidential candidate chooses his running mate, wins the nomination of his party at the DNC. Taft also wins the nomination of his party, despite alienating many moderates with his pick of Arthur Vandenberg, a former isolationist, as his running mate. Eisenhower attacked Taft for his and his running mates' isolationism and for his various comments against American participation in the Cold War, moves that alienate many Republican moderates and in fact lead to some comparisons between Taft and Henry Wallace. In reaction, Taft attacked the Democratic Party, not Eisenhower as he knew he could't attack a war hero, for involvement in Korea and government. However, this was a bad strategy. The revulsion many Americans held for the Democratic Party did not extend to their candidate; in fact, as Eisenhower was a military man, they believed he would do what made military sense in Korea. The polls showed Eisenhower as having an enormous lead, a result that relieved many Democrats. Taft proved to be either too heavy-handed in his attacks against the Democrats, or too isolationist in terms of foreign policy and was unable to make up for his many disadvantages. He also took care to distance himself from Truman by neglecting to mention him in his speeches, instead stressing either Taft's isolationism or his military experience and how it would fix the situation in Korea. In addition, Eisenhower ran many radio and television ads specifically to gain the female vote, focusing on Eisenhower's military experience and how he would do "what was right" in Korea in addition to education and inflation, topics that would appeal to women. He also ran his famous "I Like Ike" ad, a cartoon.

Eisenhower_Democrat.png

The result was a landslide Democratic victory. Unlike four years ago, there were no "Taft beats Eisenhower" errors, but many were shocked at the scale of Eisenhower's victory. His victory was expected, but not with anywhere near 489 EV. He won by a larger margin that FDR in 1940. Of course, only time would tell if Eisenhower would prove to be successful, or fail as badly as his predecessor. Notably, on election night, CBS used UNIVAC, an "electronic brain", to predict the election using voting patterns, to predict the outcome. It predicted Eisenhower to get 459 EV and that Taft would get 72 EV. Naturally, CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite laughed off the prediction almost as soon as it was reported as ridiculous and talking about how computers were flawed, but as the election went along UNIVAC would be proven right. This showed to the nation the accuracy of computers.

Eisenhower_Democrat.png

Status
Not open for further replies.