Alternate Names for Australia

Saphroneth

Banned
This maybe a little off topic, but is there any aboriginal names for the continent? :confused:

Probably quite a lot, since there was no unification of the First Nations in any way.

Actually... "Antarctica" means literally "opposite the bear". Could you have "Encarmine" for the continent, named for the red surface?

Saphroneth

Banned
Even this is suppose to be alternate British names, do you have a proper translation for "Java La Grande".

La Grande is just "the big". So "Big Java" or "Greater Java".
Actually...
Great Guinea? Greater Noetia (from Notus, god of the south wind) with OTL New Zealand being Lesser Noetia?

Doesn't Portuguese explorer, Ferdinand Magellan, in 1521 claim the island for Spain and name it Philippine, in honour of King Philip II of Spain.

Or?

Is it not called Janszoonia after the Dutch Explorer who first saw the island and built the first settlement New Amsterdam.

According to Robert Hughes, Locac, or Luchach, was one of the names given to a hypothetical Southern Continent before Australia was discovered. I can imagine the name being Latinized to something like "Lucacia."

Aha! That explains the reasoning behind something I've known for a while. I belong to the Society for Creative Anachronism, whose members divide the world up into a number of geographical kingdoms in which we play our roles. The kingdom that includes Australia and New Zealand is called Lochac. Now I guess I know why. :)

Well I guess I just didn't read it right.

In any case, does anyone know any English explorers who were sailing the Pacific during the 16th or early-17th centuries?

There weren't any. The British only really got there in the 18th Century. James Cook is the one most associated with Australia.

Driftless

Donor
how about four ecks :p

As in XXXX?

250beer.jpg