A Nation, Divided: The Price of War and Freedom.

He drives a hard bargain.

And I thought everybody had forgotten this TL already. :p
In any case, Jefferson's the President now, and undoubtedly, he's likely to sympathize with the rebels, or so I would think.

But what I'd like to know is, how would Britain and France react to the downfall of Spanish Louisiana? I have a few ideas of my own though I'm still working on them and don't know how plausible they are.

Free Lancer

Banned
Try to claim it for themselves since it looks like Spain has lost all control of the Region they can’t legally claim ownership of the land

For the British I believe it will be the prospect of gaining new lands for the ones lost to the US, furthering their interests with the Native Indians, and blocking off the US from all western expansion.

For France I believe it would be the prospect of a new American Empire.

Try to claim it for themselves since it looks like Spain has lost all control of the Region they can’t legally claim ownership of the land

For the British I believe it will be the prospect of gaining new lands for the ones lost to the US, furthering their interests with the Native Indians, and blocking off the US from all western expansion.

For France I believe it would be the prospect of a new American Empire.

Thanks Free Lancer, for your comment. :)

Spain hasn't lost all control just yet, given that it's currently the late fall of 1797 as of this writing, but they definitely will eventually.

In any case, I do believe that the crisis in Louisiana would be bound to greatly piss off Spaniards, since the French are becoming more and more sympathetic to the rebels and given that Napoleon is soon to arrive on the scene much, much, earlier, I do suspect that whatever friendship may have existed between Republican France and Royalist Spain is about to come to a screeching halt; I think he'd would be more than happy to take advantage of this.

Finally! Here's post #5.

Sorry for the wait, folks. :eek: Post number 5 is funally up, though. Spain's claims on Louisiana have essentially been forfeited to France at this point, and everyone's waiting for the next move. How they'll react to their loss, though, is anyone's guess, and will be featured in the next post.

Chapter 1-A Different Election.
Part 5: A Little Problem in Louisiana, America Reacts.

The following was taken from “Louisiana: The Land, Its People, and Its Culture.”, by John Halbert.
Midwest Press, Kansas City, 1966

Word of the collapse of the government in Louisiana reached America about as quickly as New Orleans had fallen. Many in the American political establishment had suspected that a collapse was inevitable: though news was often hard to come across, when it did reach America, it usually came from the frontiersmen, many of whom who lived in the north of the area.
Some described various incidents that had occurred and the numerous grievances that many people had with the bureaucracy in New Orleans, in newspapers across the nation[1].
One young Virginian who had ventured out to a patch of the Missouri River valley not far west of St. Louis hoping to make his fortune, recalled that due to his sympathy with the rebels, Spanish soldiers had put the torch to his farm and killed his livestock right around the harvest season in September, and not a thing was done to stop them or to give him compensation for his lost property, in an interview with a New York paper.

Another American farmer who had left Louisiana told a Richmond, Va., publication that his wife had been raped by another Spanish soldier after he refused to pay 'tribute' to the local military squad near the settlement were he lived, near today's Little Rock, Ark.
As more and more tales of the New Orleans bureaucracy gone mad began to flood into the United States, debates began to arise in Philadelphia regarding what should be done in Louisiana. Alexander Hamilton believed that U.S. intervention might backfire on the Jefferson administration should the French have gotten suspicious of America's actions. Others, such as Delaware's James Bayard, however, argued that the government had every right to intervene, not only because of the presence of American citizens in that region, but also to protect American shipping interests as well. He also stated his belief that if America wouldn't take advantage of Louisiana's collapse, then France and Britain most certainly would, and that failure to do so might also be seen as weakness on the
part of Philadelphia.

In any case, the debate would go on for some time. Only in December 1797 did Jefferson make his decision...

Philadelphia, Penn.
Dec. 22nd, 1797

“I'm sure you have finished read both of these documents, Mr. President?”, said the Secretary of State, James Madison. On the desk, were a pair of resolutions drafted by two factions of Congress: one that advocated direct intervention in Louisiana, and one that advised that that the American government instead take a stance of neutrality. Both sides were desperately vying for the President's support, and it was beginning to take a bit of a toll on Jefferson at the moment.

“Yes, I have indeed, Mr. Secretary.”, the President replied. He had spent an average four hours looking over each document, per day, since this last Thursday. And it was starting to exhaust him.

“And have you come to a decision, sir?”, Madison asked. Tensions had started to run high as the situation in Louisiana worsened. Most recently, a brawl broke out in Congress just two days earlier which required the removal of three Congressmen. Some arguments had broken out in the streets of some of the major cities as well, especially in New York, where a small riot had seen people on both sides of the debate come to blows. Perhaps it was no significant matter in the overall scheme of things but it did seem to have an effect on Jefferson's thinking.

“Well, Mr. Secretary...” said the President, “while I do indeed sympathize with those who have taken up the mantle of liberty and freedom, and do despise what the Spaniards have done in the name of law and order to them and our settlers[2], I also have come to understand that we cannot risk possibly damaging our relationship with the French, if we go too far, or starting another war with Great Britain should they become fearful for the security of their holdings in the Canadas and what they call 'Rupert's Land'. Therefore, I am afraid that we must keep an appreciable distance. However, we may be able to offer indirect aid to the rebels, whether American or otherwise, as well as assisting the safe passage of those of our citizens, and perhaps a few others as well[3], who would wish to return to these States.” Jefferson sincerely hoped that a compromise would please as many on both sides as possible; if this were to backfire, it could create even more disaster, for all involved.

“Alright then, Mr. President.”, replied Madison, “I shall inform Congress of your decision right away. And Godspeed.” He smiled as he started to leave.

“Thank you, James,” said Jefferson, “I think I'll need much in the way of good fortune in these coming weeks.”[4]

This was taken from “The following is from “Le Bonne Etat: A Complete History of Louisiana”, by Pierre Gustave Boulee.
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, 1988.

America Steps Back...and France Steps Forward.

The news of America's refusal to intervene in the Louisiana Revolution was met with mixed feelings. While men such as Charles Langlade, the famed Metis trader, believed that the struggle would be much more challenging without American help, others, such as the sugar baron Etienne De Bore, stressed that America's involvement might possibly have backfired and exacerbated an already messy situation, and that continuing the rebellion without much, or any, outside help, might be the most beneficial scenario in the long run. Whatever the case, Jefferson's decision shocked many on both sides, and arguments would continue to erupt for some time; it certainly hadn't helped that many feared that Britain & France could take advantage of what could be seen as U.S. weakness, either. Jefferson, however, informed both parties that regardless of who took control in Louisiana, the American government would assert their rights to use the waterways of the Mississippi as much as any other nation in that area, and any attempts to subvert this would be seen as a provocation to war regardless of who might be the guilty party.

Despite the concerns of a major war should the Louisiana conflict spiral out of control, the United States was fortunate enough in one respect; the French were likely to be far more sympathetic than the British to their desires. In the fall of 1797, a young Corsican nationalist by the name of Napoleon Buonaparte, later anglicized to Bonaparte, had come to power as the first President of the French Republic[5]. Bonaparte, long a republican before his ascent to prominence, had been sympathetic towards the Americans in the fight for Louisiana, but he also desired to keep France's empire in North America alive for a time yet. In February, 1798, he sent an envoy to Washington in the hopes of gaining the respect and trust of the Americans, and to begin negotiations concerning the fate of Louisiana...

The following was taken from “Louisiana: The Land, Its People, and Its Culture.”, by John Halbert.
Midwest Press, Kansas City, 1966

Starting in February, 1798, the French and American governments negotiated a permanent term of settlement for Louisiana, the main part of which would last over a year[6]. Finally, on March 18th, the main part of the agreement was completed, and the terms were as follows.

1.) Settlement- Any Americans who wished to settle in Louisiana were allowed to do so, but on one condition: There was to be no slavery, and any American who brought indentured servants of any race with him had to release them after a certain period of no more than a decade, the exact period of which to be decided by the local government of their new home. Also, any American convicted of a serious crime could be deported at any time, without consent.

2.) Navigation-American traders were given the right to use the Mississippi as much as any Frenchman or Briton, but those living in Louisiana itself were subject to a small income tax, partly to help offset the cost of the damages caused by Rebellion of 1797.
3.) Land Rights outside Louisiana itself - The French agreed to gradually the newly acquired land of West Florida to the Americans, within a decade of April, 1799.
4.) Voting Rights-All American men about the age of 21 who qualified for voting would be allowed to do so, just as any native Louisianan.

The final and most important part of this agreement was signed on the 23rd of July, 1799.
The Americans and Frenchmen agreed on a charter proposition, that ensured that French ownership would be guaranteed for a period. The Americans suggested that the contract of ownership be divided into 3 sections and separate terms be applied to different areas of the colony. The French hesitated for a time, but President Jefferson's solution involved a system based on how strategically & economically important each region was to both of the powers, allowing for the French to inject their own input. This system, in its final form, after having undergone the necessary adjustments[7], went as follows:

1.)All territory north of the Missouri River and the 40th Parallel-10 year charter, renewable 3 times.
2.)Any territory West of the 100th Meridian west-10 year charter, renewable 3 times.
3.)Any territory East of the 100th Meridian and north of the Arkansas down to the 35th parallel North-15 year charter, renewable twice.
4.)South of the 35th to 31*31' North(Upper Louisiana)-25 year charter, extendable by 5 years, no more than 5 times.
5.)Lower Louisiana-30 year charter, may be extended by 10 years, twice.

After the end of the grace period, however, France would no longer be able to guarantee Louisiana's territorial security and could be subject to American annexation, at least, ideally, if both parties agreed to such. France could also, if necessary, end the contract early, if they needed to sell Louisiana. America, on the other hand, could disregard the contract if the French violated their end of the agreement by any means.
This compromise was understood as a fair deal by all, and went into effect with the signing of the Treaty of Richmond in September, 1799...[8]

[1]As they likely would have.....most Americans don't take kindly to the oppression and maltreatment of civilians, especially not if the victims are their countrymen....

[2]Jefferson still remembered the bad old days when the Brits had been haranguing those people who had been advocating for America's independence, so you can see why he would feel sympathy for the rebels in Louisiana.

[3]Not too many of them, though, especially certain types of people......Jefferson can't afford to piss off his fellow planters, you know.

[4]Things won't turn out as badly as he had feared, though. You'll see why.

[5]Well, you saw it here first: Napoleon has indeed risen to the top of the pile in the still-young French Republic. Will he become, and perhaps even remain, an emperor? Wait and see.....=)

[6]Diplomacy sometimes takes time to get things done.

[7]These are rather generous terms, IMO; I'm not sure if John Adams would have approved of the same scheme that Jefferson has just done ITTL.

[8]Richmond was chosen by President Jefferson thanks to its status as the first (post-colonial) state capital of Virginia.

So, there you guys have it. Hope you liked this one. :D

Any thoughts, comments, etc.? I might try to do something with a European perspective, if you guys are really interested.........:D

Good post, CaliBoy1990.

Keep up the good work!

I appreciate the kind words. :) And sorry I haven't updated in so long. :eek:

I can however, say this: Look out for what happens with Napoleon in the future and how the Spanish react to losing Louisiana to their former friends. I can tell you, it won't be pretty.

Hope this gets somebody interested.

I certainly rather like this. it's based on a novel idea and it's going in a rather interesting direction.

I'd wholeheartedly encourage you to develop this further.

Good work, an interesting idea. But...

The final and most important part of this agreement was signed on the 23rd of July, 1799.
The Americans and Frenchmen agreed on a charter proposition, that ensured that French ownership would be guaranteed for a period. The Americans suggested that the contract of ownership be divided into 3 sections and separate terms be applied to different areas of the colony. The French hesitated for a time, but President Jefferson's solution involved a system based on how strategically & economically important each region was to both of the powers, allowing for the French to inject their own input. This system, in its final form, after having undergone the necessary adjustments[7], went as follows:

1.)All territory north of the Missouri River and the 40th Parallel-10 year charter, renewable 3 times.
2.)Any territory West of the 100th Meridian west-10 year charter, renewable 3 times.
3.)Any territory East of the 100th Meridian and north of the Arkansas down to the 35th parallel North-15 year charter, renewable twice.
4.)South of the 35th to 31*31' North(Upper Louisiana)-25 year charter, extendable by 5 years, no more than 5 times.
5.)Lower Louisiana-30 year charter, may be extended by 10 years, twice.

I don't follow this at all. What does it actually mean? France is to have control for a while, then an automatic cession to the U.S.? Who's going to evict the Spanish officials?

Good work, an interesting idea. But...

I don't follow this at all. What does it actually mean? France is to have control for a while, then an automatic cession to the U.S.? Who's going to evict the Spanish officials?

Hey Rich, thanks for commenting.

Well, what I intended was for the control to be guaranteed to the French for a set period, based on how important the noted area was, or might have been to them, and then, after that, negotiations could begin if France wished to be rid of the territory, since the leadership at the time was unsure if they'd be able to hold on to everything.

The only way the treaty could be broken, is if either power broke it thru aggression, or if the French wished to sell Louisiana early on.

I'll try to explain this better whenever I can. Hopefully, that'll be sometime in the near future. :eek:

This TL's still alive!

Hey, everybody. I thought I might show you where I've been planning on taking this(Hint: it involves the Caribbean, and revolutionary slaves.....).

Taken from “The Republican Empire: The Colonial History of the New France. Volume 1, 1798-1844”, by Jean-Claude Robineau. © 1971, University of the Seine, Paris.[1]

The French interest in colonization was not a new thing by the time the Revolution had succeeded; Indeed, France's stakes in the business were about as lengthy as those of any of the other Great Powers; it can be traced all the way back to 1524, when King Francis the First, sent the Italian merchant, Giovanni da Verrazano to try to find a suitable route to the Pacific Ocean. Though Verrazano never found such a passage, he did discover many new lands for France, which he named Nova Gallia, in honor of the country that sponsored him. 10 years later, Jacques Cartier followed in his footsteps, exploring Newfoundland and the St. Lawrence River, is what is now Quebec; he later founded the first European settlement in the Americas, Cap-Rouge, though it was abandoned after only a year. Other early French settlements on the continent included Port Royal, Fort Caroline, St. Croix, and Fort Saint Louis.

French settlers had also made their homes in the Caribbean, of which France owned much of it at various times in the 17th Century. One of the most important settlements was the town of Cap-Francois in Saint-Domingue(now Haiti). It served as the colony's administrative capital from 1711 to 1770, when it was moved to Port-au-Prince; the city was also one of the primary trading hubs for coffee, sugar, cotton, and even indigo, throughout much of that century. In fact, Cap-Francais became such a wealthy place that many grand buildings began to take shape in the city, eventually earning it the nickname of the “Paris of the Antilles”.

By the middle of the 18th Century, France claimed territory from Louisiana to what is now central and eastern Canada in the Americas, making it's holdings the most extensive of all the colonial European nations at the time.

[snip]

….However, though, the prosperity wasn't to last forever. The French and Indian Wars had caused France to lose her North American holdings to the British and the Spanish, thus denying her the port of New Orleans, as well as the fact that the nation also had to deal with the loss of her many forts throughout the former New France....

[snip]

One of the biggest problems France had to face towards the end of the century, and early the next, was the increasing discontentment amongst the Blacks in Haiti....In 1789, the Republican National Assembly drew up the Rights of Man, which proclaimed: "Man is born and remains free and equal in rights". After the passage of the Declaration, many planters revolted and tried to take control of the colony. However, this only served to rile up even more dissent amongst the blacks, in fact, so much so, that many began to revolt openly against the rule of the aristocrats.

However, though, this wasn't a new problem: In 1751, a slave named Mackandal escaped from his plantation and had terrorized the whites of the island for several years; he was adept at making poisons and was also an effective and charismatic guerrilla leader who united many Maroon bands under his command, and even setting up many secret organizations amongst the slaves on the plantations, something that would later inspire others in the future. He and his men sacked and torched countless plantations, often killing the owners in the process. Only in 1758 was he captured and brought to trial; he was later burned at the stake for his deeds[2].

It was partly due to the Mackandal Revolt[3] that in that same year, that the white gentry began to restrict the rights of the Blacks, both free and slave, as well as that of the Mulattoes to an extent, as well as creating a tri-level system of rigid class divisions:

At the top tier, you had the grands blancs, or the white elite, who made up only about 10% of the population in 1790, les noirs, the enslaved Blacks, at the very bottom, and of course, you had the affranchis, the middle tier comprised of a wider section of society including the free Blacks and Mulattoes, who made up only 5% of the population, combined, in 1790[4].

And also, an interesting thing to note is that even though the slaves made up over 80% of the population by that time, the majority of them had actually been born in Africa; the harsh working conditions in Haiti at the time ensured that many Blacks died early deaths, making it mandatory to keep importing new workers from Africa. However, though, in 1791, the outbreak of the the Haitian Revolution would soon change the entire face of the land as it was known.....

This excerpt was taken from Encyclopedia Britannica, 16th edition, Volume 8.
(c) 1992, The Britannica Company, London, England, U.K.

Haitian Revolution (1791-1802)- The Haitian Revolution was a slave revolt in the French colony of Saint-Domingue, now Haiti, which not only culminated in the elimination of slavery in the area, but also the founding of the People's Republic of Haiti, on 17 April, 1802[5]; so far, it is only one of two slave revolts to have successfully produced a new nation, and was one of only three nations to successfully achieve long-term independence from a European colonial power before the start of the 19th Century.
It is also generally considered to have been the most successful revolt of slaves and other indentured persons in the early Imperial Age, as well as one of the key defining moments in the history of Africans in the New World[6].

This excerpt is from “Haiti: Land of Voodoo, Land of Revolution.”, by Felix Willson.
(c) 1966 Trammell & Sons Publishing, Savannah, Ga.

…..One of the primary crops on the island of Hispaniola was, and still remains today, sugar cane. In the 1730s, some French engineers discovered that complex irrigation networks could significantly boost the yields of sugar cane and certain other crops, and the idea quickly became popular with planters. It worked so well that by the end of the 1740s, Saint-Domingue, as well as nearby Jamaica, were the primary producers of the world's sugar; coffee, cocoa, indigo, and cotton plantations also benefitted greatly from this method of growing but they weren't as profitable as sugarcane was at that time....

Slavery in general was, unfortunately, usually harsh, but the worst conditions were often found on the sugarcane plantations. The white planters, particularly many of the the wealthy ones, were outnumbered by their slaves(and other servants) by a factor of at least ten to one overall, and constantly lived in fear of slave rebellions; many white masters used the threat of physical violence to maintain control and limit the possibilities of such a scenario; often times, slaves who tried to escape or otherwise disobey their masters were subject to whippings and beatings, or sometimes, even torture by castration or burning, intended to be both a personal lesson for the offender, and as a deterrent for other slaves who might attempt the same.[7]

Surprisingly, Louis XIV, the “Sun King”, actually did create a series of legislations, called the “Code Noir”, in 1685, in an attempt to stop excessive violence; unfortunately, the laws were often ignored, and many slavers who had previously abused their slaves, continued to do so anyway.

However, though, the short-term efficiency that these abuses may have had in deterring slaves, often came with a steep long-term price; many slaves found ways to successfully escape their prisons, and joined the bands of already renegade slaves, often in the mountains & forests of the area, outside tangible control, but some also fled to some of the various towns in the land, and blended in with the other blacks(Though some masters did tolerate short-term leaves from their plantations).[8]

The Maroons, as these renegades were called, were notorious for sacking and burning plantations and often killing the men who owned them. One ringleader, Francois Mackandal, was particularly feared for his own brand of brutality towards the planters in the days before the Revolution, and terrorized the countryside for 7 years before being executed. However, though, 30 years after him, there was another Haitian guerrilla leader whose reputation would exceed Mackandal's. His name, was Jean-Jacques Dessalines[9].

Not much is known about his early life, except that his parents most likely came directly from Africa, and that he was named Jean-Jacques Duclos by his father, who himself had adopted the surname from his owner, Henry Duclos[10].

Jean-Jacques spent the first 30 years of his life on the Duclos plantation as a laborer, and later on, a foreman, before being bought by a free black man known as Dessalines(his first name is not known to us today); Jean-Jacques, and his two brothers Joseph and Louis, all adopted the surname; Jean-Jacques stayed with him for about three years.

However, though, it was in the spring of 1791 when Dessalines decided that he wished to join the Great Uprising, which had already begun to spread across the Plaine du Nord. He had been feeling somewhat embittered towards both the white elites and those amongst the gens de couleur whom he felt were enabling the perpetuation of the slavery system, but had kept his sympathies to himself until that point. Now, however, he wanted to act. He volunteered his services to Jean Francois Papillion, one of the two main ringleaders of the revolt(the other was Georges Biassou), and was assigned to Santo Domingo to fight the Spanish troops there. It was there, that he met the rising commander, Toussaint Breda[11], himself once a slave.....

This excerpt is from “Toussaint L'Ouverture: The George Washington of Haiti”, by Peter Clemson. (c) 1977 Ozarka Press, Little Rock, Ark., U.S.A.

….L'Ouverture's earliest years have largely been passed down to us by oral tradition and some of his personal writings, instead of established literature at this point in history, but most historians agree that he was born in the Haut-de-Cap region of Saint-Domingue on May 20, 1743. His father, Gaou Guinou, surprisingly, was not a commoner, but had actually been the son of one of the kings of Arrada, a small fort city in West Africa; his spouse, re-christened Pauline, was his second wife.

L'Ouverture was largely brought up by his godfather Pierre Baptiste[12], whom some historians believe may have been a Creole; L'Ouverture himself was quite fluent in the Creole Patois, and also had a decent command of French as well.
Baptiste gave him a rather fine education, and Toussaint, in his memoirs, recalled his learning days with much fondness; he claimed that Baptiste's kindness also inspired him to further his studies, and by adulthood, was familiar with the writings of men such as Epictetus and Machiavelli, the Italian prince, as well as Abbe Raynal, a French writer and abolitionist. He may have also attained a Jesuit education, according to British historian Chris Reynard: some of his medical knowledge was commonly applied in Jesuit hospitals back in Europe[13].

Until a few decades ago, it was believed that he had remained a slave until the Revolution, but the 1949 discovery of a marriage certificate in an old church in Port-au-Prince revealed that he had been freed in 1776, when he was 33, though maintained ties with the Breda plantation until the Revolution. He had also briefly been a planter himself, though he abandoned the venture at some point before the end of the century.[14]

Toussaint married one Suzanne Simone Baptiste, either his godfather's daughter or his cousin, in 1782 and had several children with her; perhaps his most famous offspring was his youngest daughter, Placidia; she was born in 1809, and became a writer in New York City, and an early cultural representative of the Black American community[15].....

Taken from “The Republican Empire: The Colonial History of the New France. Volume 1, 1798-1844”, by Jean-Claude Robineau. © 1971, University of the Seine, Paris.

…..As Saint-Domingue became more and more unstable, the French government feared that things might take a horrific turn; indeed, even the famed abolitionist man of letters, Guillaume Reynal, warned of an “impending storm”, or, rather, a general revolt of the slaves, in 1780. Possibly partly in the hopes of preventing anarchy in it's most profitable colony, the new Republican government declared, in May 1791, that wealthy black freemen could enjoy the same rights of citizenship as white men did.
However, though, when news of this reached Saint-Domingue, many planters refused to comply with the new legislation; this, many historians believe, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

On the evening of 21 August, 1791, Abbe Raynal's fears came true: a week earlier, Dutty Boukman, a formerly Jamaican slave and houngan, had initiated a Vodou ceremony in the Bois Caiman area of the island, giving the Maroons the signal had been waiting for.....

Sorry for the lack of footnote info but I'm still working on this chapter. More will be coming soon, though. :D

Last edited:
Hey there, folks. I thought I might do a little something inspired by a scene in Male Rising.....but set in Ireland, and plans & ideas I'd like to share with you in that regard.

In Between the Lines #1: A Little Something from the Emerald Isle.

(Author's Note: I am happy to admit that this was inspired a scene in Jonathan Edelstein's excellent story, Male Rising.)

County Meath, Ireland
June 21, 1992.

It was a lovely summer evening in the Irish countryside today; a little bit of fog began to develop around much of County Meath as the air cooled down and the air got a little moister, making the atmosphere seem almost ethereal.

Sean Patrick O'Kennedy was an academic by trade; he was one of the brightest minds educating budding young adults at County Dublin's most well-regarded public university. With him, were his youngest daughter Deidra, 16, and fresh out of high school, nephew Sam, aged 10, and nieces Casey and Keili, aged 8 and 6. They were trying to find one of Ireland's most recognizable landmarks, but Sean hadn't been to the area in a long while and was wondering if he'd gotten lost. And then he saw a bus go by, with “Emerald Sightseeing Tours, Dublin”, painted in big green letters on the side. Sean decided to follow the bus, briefly accelerating as much as his aging jalopy's four-cylinder engine would allow, and then just coasted the rest of the way. Sean was in his middle fifties and a couple hours' drive could sometimes take quite a bit out of a man his age, but he didn't mind.

About a half-hour later, they arrived at the park they had been searching for. “We're here, everyone.”, Sean announced cheerily. The kids all smiled and jumped out of the car. A 10-minute walk on the footpath lead to a stone engraving marker, detailing the park's history and cultural significance; and this place might just have been the most important place in all of Irish culture outside Blarney Castle...

“So this is the Hill of Tara!”, Deidra said, in pure awe and amazement.

“Yes indeed, my darling, it is.” said Sean. “Does anyone know happened on this day, many years ago?”.

“The start of the Second Revolution, right?”, Deidra replied.

“Yes, very good, Deidra. It was on this day, 88 years ago, that the Republic of Ireland was born, right here on the Hill of Tara.” 'I wonder how the Hill had looked to Dad, when Grandmum and Granpa had carried him up here on that summer morning?', Sean wondered. His father Albert had been only six years old when it had all started, and his grandparents Johnny and Laura both in their forties then; Laura had been seventy-three when Sean was born but still as sharp as a tack, and was all too eager to tell the story of the role she and Johnny had played in the Emerald Revolution. 'This is truly holy ground.', Sean thought, 'It was only fitting that Ireland was to be reborn on the very spot which was the home of the High Kings of old.”. And he smiled. Nearly every modern Irish family had their story to tell about what they'd done during the Revolution, and could recall where their parents, grandparents, or even great-grandparents had stood up and said, 'Enough!'.

Except the Hill of Tara wasn't just the meeting spot for the Revolutionaries to lay out the Gilmore Plan; it was the holiest site in all of Ireland, where High Kings once gathered to be crowned, and where the country's first constitution was written up.

“Well, kids, how's about a little story?”, Sean said, as they all sat down on the grass. The younger ones chatted excitedly as the prospect.

“Okay now, settle down a bit,”, Sean said, gently, “and I'll get started. It involves your grandpa Johnny, grandma Laura, and Bobby Tone....”

“Who's Bobby Tone?”, said Sam, in wonderment.

“I'll get to that in a second, Sam, don't you worry.” Sean said, with a nod.

“Did this happen during the Revolution?”, asked Deidra.

“Some of it, dear, yes, but not all. Their story starts in the 1880s, but the real story of how Ireland came to be an independent state of its own, actually started many years before that. That Bobby Tone fellow I mentioned? Well, he was the first ever Prime Minister of Ireland, and the second Taoiseach. He was also the great-grandson of the man who is considered by many to be like the George Washington of Ireland, Theobald Wolfe Tone. Wolfe Tone, as he is known, was born in 1763 in Dublin, the son of a farmer. He was a lawyer by trade and had become interested in revolutionary beliefs a little later on in his adult life....”
“So why did he become a rebel?” Casey asked.

“Well, Casey, there were some things happening in Ireland at the time that many people didn't like. Tone wanted to solve these problems peacefully and so he founded the United Irishmen in 1791. Sadly, however, the British weren't happy with the man and tried to pit the Irishmen against one another by using religious sectarianism and intolerance.....”

“That's terrible!” Keili interjected.

“Yes, I know, isn't it?”, Sean replied. “But sadly, that's how it happened. Things got so bad, in fact, that Wolfe Tone even tried resorting to getting the French government to back the removal of the pro-British government in what he hoped would be a bloodless revolution.”

“And I guess it didn't work out?” asked Sam.

“Sadly, it didn't, Sam. Even with 300,000 men backing him and his friends,though they fought valiantly, Wolfe Tone and his allies simply couldn't stop the tide of the British counter-attack; Tone's Rebellion ended in Dublin, the city of his birth, and many of his friends were either jailed or hung.”, Sean replied.

“What happened to Mr. Wolfe Tone?”, asked Keili, always the inquisitive kid at her age.

“Ah, now this part of the story has a happier ending. Wolfe Tone was able to escape to America with the help of a few friends. He spent the next 20 years in Boston before finally coming back home to Ireland; the new British government forgave his past trespasses, and he eventually helped set up the first major reforms in modern Ireland, which helped lay the groundwork for the democratic and egalitarian Ireland that we all know today.”

The kids listened intently all the while. Deidra, in particular, had become enthralled with her father's retelling of Irish history, and had begun to consider if perhaps, she, too, could become a historian like her dad. And she knew exactly where she wanted to start her research.....the life of Wolfe Tone, and his impact on Irish history.

So, you guys liked it, I hope? I cooked it up as a special St. Patrick's day treat. :D

Chapter 2-Dawn of the New Century.
Part 1: The Birth of Haiti, and trouble in Ireland.

Foreword

As the 19th Century began to dawn on the world, new rivalries came to light and new challenges arose for many nations, whether or not they were ready to face them.

The United States elected its second president, Thomas Jefferson, in 1797. Jefferson, though universally respected as a Founder and well-regarded on domestic policy by even some Federalists, has met a significant amount of criticism on foreign matters as of late, particularly over the Louisiana issue. However, though, many have also praised him for his willingness to compromise and Jefferson hopes to win one more term in office this year; his chief opponent, John Adams, has not had a strong showing and as of April, no other suitable candidate has stepped forward.

In France, Napoleon has begun to consolidate his power base, and has declared himself to be First Consul of the French Republic. While popular for having further united France, Msr. Bonaparte faces some interesting challenges ahead.

Firstly, reacquiring Louisiana seemed to be a smart decision a few years ago, but already, some complications have arisen: The Spanish were still technically the legal owners of the territory when it seceded and have not at all been pleased with the French that they took advantage of that. As of this year, the alliance is officially over. Britain, too, has become wary of the Louisiana conundrum and London has begun to fear that the French may next move their hungry eyes northwards, towards Rupert's Land in particular.

Also, there is still some resentment amongst the other European powers, Austria in particular, and most agree that they would like to see any monarch back in power over there, even if they happen to be a Bourbon. To them, Napoleon represents the increasing mortality of the old Continental order, and many fear that if France can hold its own for long enough, then their own domestic power shall become endangered, perhaps even leading to their own downfall, as what happened to Louis XVI in 1789. Making the paranoia worse is the fact that Napoleon has indeed begun to develop a vision of a republican Europe. However, though, there does remain the slight little inconvenience of the situation in Haiti....

Great Britain was inducted into the United Kingdom in the summer of 1797 and it's power on the world stage continues to increase. However, though, Britain has become a little concerned about America's ambitions as of late and is keeping a close watch on the Canadas and the Maritime colonies in particular. London is also warily eyeing the new state across the Channel, hoping that Napoleon doesn't decide that now would be a good chance to invade the British homeland.

The Dutch have recently begun to lose South Africa to the Britons(they have already lost the Cape) but are hoping to gain more profit in the East Indies. They are, however, getting worried about an increasingly belligerent France, which only complicates manners.

Not much is really happening in South America at the moment, though a young Simon Bolivar has become a student of Don Simon Rodriguez, a renowned educator with a strong love of liberty.......

And in that deepest and most remote of continents, Australia, the first real wave of European settlement is about to begin..........

Taken from “The Republican Empire: The Colonial History of the New France. Volume 1, 1798-1844”, by Jean-Claude Robineau. © 1971, University of the Seine, Paris.[1]

The French interest in colonization was not a new thing by the time the Revolution had succeeded; Indeed, France's stakes in the business were about as lengthy as those of any of the other Great Powers; it can be traced all the way back to 1524, when King Francis the First, sent the Italian merchant, Giovanni da Verrazano to try to find a suitable route to the Pacific Ocean. Though Verrazano never found such a passage, he did discover many new lands for France, which he named Nova Gallia, in honor of the country that sponsored him. 10 years later, Jacques Cartier followed in his footsteps, exploring Newfoundland and the St. Lawrence River, is what is now Quebec; he later founded the first European settlement in the Americas, Cap-Rouge, though it was abandoned after only a year. Other early French settlements on the continent included Port Royal, Fort Caroline, St. Croix, and Fort Saint Louis.

French settlers had also made their homes in the Caribbean, of which France owned much of it at various times in the 17th Century. One of the most important settlements was the town of Cap-Francois in Saint-Domingue(now Haiti). It served as the colony's administrative capital from 1711 to 1770, when it was moved to Port-au-Prince; the city was also one of the primary trading hubs for coffee, sugar, cotton, and even indigo, throughout much of that century. In fact, Cap-Francais became such a wealthy place that many grand buildings began to take shape in the city, eventually earning it the nickname of the “Paris of the Antilles”.

By the middle of the 18th Century, France claimed territory from Louisiana to what is now central and eastern Canada in the Americas, making it's holdings the most extensive of all the colonial European nations at the time.

[snip]

….However, though, the prosperity wasn't to last forever. The French and Indian Wars had caused France to lose her North American holdings to the British and the Spanish, thus denying her the port of New Orleans, as well as the fact that the nation also had to deal with the loss of her many forts throughout the former New France....

[snip]

One of the biggest problems France had to face towards the end of the century, and early the next, was the increasing discontentment amongst the Blacks in Haiti....In 1789, the Republican National Assembly drew up the Rights of Man, which proclaimed: "Man is born and remains free and equal in rights". After the passage of the Declaration, many planters revolted and tried to take control of the colony. However, this only served to rile up even more dissent amongst the blacks, in fact, so much so, that many began to revolt openly against the rule of the aristocrats.

However, though, this wasn't a new problem: In 1751, a slave named Mackandal escaped from his plantation and had terrorized the whites of the island for several years; he was adept at making poisons and was also an effective and charismatic guerrilla leader who united many Maroon bands under his command, and even setting up many secret organizations amongst the slaves on the plantations, something that would later inspire others in the future. He and his men sacked and torched countless plantations, often killing the owners in the process. Only in 1758 was he captured and brought to trial; he was later burned at the stake for his deeds[2].

It was partly due to the Mackandal Revolt[3] that in that same year, that the white gentry began to restrict the rights of the Blacks, both free and slave, as well as that of the Mulattoes to an extent, as well as creating a tri-level system of rigid class divisions:

At the top tier, you had the grands blancs, or the white elite, who made up only about 10% of the population in 1790, les noirs, the enslaved Blacks, at the very bottom, and of course, you had the affranchis, the middle tier comprised of a wider section of society including the free Blacks and Mulattoes, who made up only 5% of the population, combined, in 1790[4].

And also, an interesting thing to note is that even though the slaves made up over 80% of the population by that time, the majority of them had actually been born in Africa; the harsh working conditions in Haiti at the time ensured that many Blacks died early deaths, making it mandatory to keep importing new workers from Africa. However, though, in 1791, the outbreak of the the Haitian Revolution would soon change the entire face of the land as it was known.....

This excerpt was taken from Encyclopedia Britannica, 16th edition, Volume 8.
(c) 1992, The Britannica Company, London, England, U.K.

Haitian Revolution (1791-1802)- The Haitian Revolution was a slave revolt in the French colony of Saint-Domingue, now Haiti, which not only culminated in the elimination of slavery in the area, but also the founding of the People's Republic of Haiti, on 17 April, 1802[5]; so far, it is only one of two slave revolts to have successfully produced a new nation, and was one of only three nations to successfully achieve long-term independence from a European colonial power before the start of the 19th Century.
It is also generally considered to have been the most successful revolt of slaves and other indentured persons in the early Imperial Age, as well as one of the key defining moments in the history of Africans in the New World[6].

This excerpt is from “Haiti: Land of Voodoo, Land of Revolution.”, by Felix Willson.
(c) 1966 Trammell & Sons Publishing, Savannah, Ga.

…..One of the primary crops on the island of Hispaniola was, and still remains today, sugar cane. In the 1730s, some French engineers discovered that complex irrigation networks could significantly boost the yields of sugar cane and certain other crops, and the idea quickly became popular with planters. It worked so well that by the end of the 1740s, Saint-Domingue, as well as nearby Jamaica, were the primary producers of the world's sugar; coffee, cocoa, indigo, and cotton plantations also benefitted greatly from this method of growing but they weren't as profitable as sugarcane was at that time....

Slavery in general was, unfortunately, usually harsh, but the worst conditions were often found on the sugarcane plantations. The white planters, particularly many of the the wealthy ones, were outnumbered by their slaves(and other servants) by a factor of at least ten to one overall, and constantly lived in fear of slave rebellions; many white masters used the threat of physical violence to maintain control and limit the possibilities of such a scenario; often times, slaves who tried to escape or otherwise disobey their masters were subject to whippings and beatings, or sometimes, even torture by castration or burning, intended to be both a personal lesson for the offender, and as a deterrent for other slaves who might attempt the same.[7]

Surprisingly, Louis XIV, the “Sun King”, actually did create a series of legislations, called the “Code Noir”, in 1685, in an attempt to stop excessive violence; unfortunately, the laws were often ignored, and many slavers who had previously abused their slaves, continued to do so anyway.

However, though, the short-term efficiency that these abuses may have had in deterring slaves, often came with a steep long-term price; many slaves found ways to successfully escape their prisons, and joined the bands of already renegade slaves, often in the mountains & forests of the area, outside tangible control, but some also fled to some of the various towns in the land, and blended in with the other blacks(Though some masters did tolerate short-term leaves from their plantations).[8]

The Maroons, as these renegades were called, were notorious for sacking and burning plantations and often killing the men who owned them. One ringleader, Francois Mackandal, was particularly feared for his own brand of brutality towards the planters in the days before the Revolution, and terrorized the countryside for 7 years before being executed. However, though, 30 years after him, there was another Haitian guerrilla leader whose reputation would exceed Mackandal's. His name, was Jean-Jacques Dessalines.

Not much is known about his early life, except that his parents most likely came directly from Africa[9], and that he was named Jean-Jacques Duclos by his father, who himself had adopted the surname from his owner, Henry Duclos[10].

Jean-Jacques spent the first 30 years of his life on the Duclos plantation as a laborer, and later on, a foreman, before being bought by a free black man known as Dessalines(his first name is not known to us today); Jean-Jacques, and his two brothers Joseph and Louis, all adopted the surname; Jean-Jacques stayed with him for about three years.

However, though, it was in the spring of 1791 when Dessalines decided that he wished to join the Great Uprising, which had already begun to spread across the Plaine du Nord. He had been feeling somewhat embittered towards both the white elites and those amongst the gens de couleur whom he felt were enabling the perpetuation of the slavery system, but had kept his sympathies to himself until that point. Now, however, he wanted to act. He volunteered his services to Jean Francois Papillion, one of the two main ringleaders of the revolt(the other was Georges Biassou), and was assigned to Santo Domingo to fight the Spanish troops there. It was there, that he met the rising commander, Toussaint Breda[11], himself once a slave.....

This excerpt is from “Toussaint L'Ouverture: The George Washington of Haiti”, by Peter Clemson. (c) 1977 Ozarka Press, Little Rock, Ark., U.S.A.

….L'Ouverture's earliest years have largely been passed down to us by oral tradition and some of his personal writings, instead of established literature at this point in history, but most historians agree that he was born in the Haut-de-Cap region of Saint-Domingue on May 20, 1743. His father, Gaou Guinou, surprisingly, was not a commoner, but had actually been the son of one of the kings of Arrada, a small fort city in West Africa; his spouse, re-christened Pauline, was his second wife.

L'Ouverture was largely brought up by his godfather Pierre Baptiste[12], whom some historians believe may have been a Creole; L'Ouverture himself was quite fluent in the Creole Patois, and also had a decent command of French as well.
Baptiste gave him a rather fine education, and Toussaint, in his memoirs, recalled his learning days with much fondness; he claimed that Baptiste's kindness also inspired him to further his studies, and by adulthood, was familiar with the writings of men such as Epictetus and Machiavelli, the Italian prince, as well as Abbe Raynal, a French writer and abolitionist. He may have also attained a Jesuit education, according to British historian Chris Reynard[13]: some of his medical knowledge was commonly applied in Jesuit hospitals back in Europe.

Until a few decades ago, it was believed that he had remained a slave until the Revolution, but the 1949 discovery of a marriage certificate in an old church in Port-au-Prince revealed that he had been freed in 1776, when he was 33, though maintained ties with the Breda plantation until the Revolution. He had also briefly been a planter himself, though he abandoned the venture at some point before the end of the century.[14]

Toussaint married one Suzanne Simone Baptiste, either his godfather's daughter or his cousin, in 1782 and had several children with her; perhaps his most famous offspring was his youngest daughter, Placidia; she was born in 1809, and became a writer in New York City, and an early cultural representative of the Black American community[15].....

Taken from “The Republican Empire: The Colonial History of the New France. Volume 1, 1798-1844”, by Jean-Claude Robineau. © 1971, University of the Seine, Paris.

…..As Saint-Domingue became more and more unstable, the French government feared that things might take a horrific turn; indeed, even the famed abolitionist man of letters, Guillaume Reynal, warned of an “impending storm”, or, rather, a general revolt of the slaves, in 1780. Possibly partly in the hopes of preventing anarchy in it's most profitable colony, the new Republican government declared, in May 1791, that wealthy black freemen could enjoy the same rights of citizenship as white men did.
However, though, when news of this reached Saint-Domingue, many planters refused to comply with the new legislation; this, many historians believe, was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, as it were[16].

On the evening of 21 August, 1791, Abbe Raynal's fears came true: a week earlier, Dutty Boukman, a formerly Jamaican slave and houngan, had initiated a Vodou ceremony in the Bois Caiman area of the island, giving the Maroons the signal had been waiting for. In only 10 days, the slaves had seized most of the Northern Province, while the whites were relegated to just a few isolated bands in terms of absolute control. Though many plantation owners had been prepared for such an eventuality, what they couldn't possibly have counted on was the tenacity of the slaves and the fact that more and more of them were joining in the revolts. Within only several weeks, as many as 100,000 blacks had joined the Maroons.....and by the end of October, 4,000 whites would have died in the violence. And by the spring of 1792, the revolting slaves controlled nearly a third of the island.....

…..To the credit of the French Republican government, they did take some seriously genuine steps to try to appease the situation; in 1794, the First Assembly of the Republic abolished slavery in France and all of its colonies, and even granted civil and political rights to all black men in the colonies, including Saint-Domingue; and despite the ongoing racial tensions, the government, and many Frenchmen, still welcomed abolition with some optimism, primarily because they hoped it would serve as an example for other countries, as well as a moral triumph over royalist England.

Even so, however, the French government still wasn't ready to give Haiti it's independence yet, and the violence would continue for several more years to come.....[17]

Somewhere in Haiti
Sept. 18, 1796

It was just another day of violence on this island formerly known as the Jewel of the French Empire. Jean-Jacques Dessalines stood atop a hill overlooking a now burning coffee plantation, one of many such ruins that could be seen in Saint-Domingue nowadays; seeing his handiwork pleased him greatly. And then, out of the nearby bushes, came one of his adjutants. “Sir?”, the man asked, a wiry older man who couldn't have been any younger than fifty.

Dessalines turned around. “Yes? What do you wish to say?”

“Sir,” the adjutant inquired, “some of our scouts have discovered more plantations that have yet to fall under our control. Shall we move out?”

“If what they say is true, then yes, we should. I think our work here is done, anyway.”, said Dessalines, with a smile on his face.

“Thank you, sir, I shall inform the others.”, said the wiry gray-haired adjutant, as he went back into the bushes, and headed back to their camp, a couple miles away.

Dessalines looked back one more time at the ruined plantation, and scowled. “You slavers really thought you could lord it over us black men from now until eternity, and that nothing could stop you, didn't you?”, he muttered, with a tinge of anger in his voice. “And when the first man stood up, you said to yourselves, 'How could these Africans, these savages, possibly do such a thing? They are but beasts in the forms of man!'. You laughed and you joked, but you also tortured us, you sniveling bastards.”, he thought to himself; it made him mad enough to spit on the ground in front of him.

But Dessalines lightened up a bit. “But it didn't last forever, did it? Though Francois Mackandal did indeed strike some terror into your hearts, it was men like myself, and L'Ouverture, who helped make your worst nightmares, and the dreams of Black independence, a true reality. And all of your boasting and delusions of grandeur have come to naught.”, he thought. “And now,”, he whispered openly, “We're the ones doing the laughing. Enjoy your new hell, you miserable bastards. You've earned it.” And with a slight chuckle, he smiled, turned away, and began to walk back towards the camp. [18]

Sept. 20, 1796

Toussaint L'Ouverture was a quite content man today; he had received some news that the American President, George Washington, might possibly be willing to consider meeting with a representative of the anti-Royalist black rebels[19]; while it was unfortunate that slavery continued to exist in America, L'Ouverture hoped that if Haiti could successfully become a functioning nation of its own, that the white Americans could begin to see the light. “Indeed so,” he thought, “it would be a truly wonderful thing if the people of the world's first successful nation birthed out of opposition to colonialism, could come to recognize the fruits of our own labor, and perhaps one day, view us as fellows; birds of a feather; comrades.”. Though he realized it would likely be a long and tough road to follow, he also had hope for the future, and faith in the Haitian Revolution, and the people who fought with him. “We shall triumph, over those men and institutions, who dared oppress us, the black people of the world. God willing, may it be so.”. And Toussaint smiled, for he knew the truth of the matter was at hand....[20]

[1]The University of the Seine is a fictional university in the very outer corners of Paris, well-known for being the first public university ever to be built in France.

[2]That didn't stop the other revolts, though. In fact, Mackandal will be known later on as the “First Martyr” of Haiti.

[3]Or so it'd be named in later years.

[4]Even OTL's South Africa didn't have that much of a disparity in most places.

[5]1804 IOTL.

[6]And perhaps beyond.

[7]But of course, we all know how that turned out.

[8]Or tried to, anyway, with varying degrees of success.

[9]Or maybe not. Even in OTL, nobody knows for sure.

[10]What happened to Duclos remains a mystery.

[11]A.K.A. L'Ouverture.

[12]Later to be a “patron saint” of sorts of the Haitian people, like his godson.

[13]Reynard, btw, is a fictional British historian who lives in the Sunderland area of the U.K.; you may see some of his writings later.

[14]Indeed so. Unlike certain American founders(yes, Jefferson, this means you), he actually came around to acting on his beliefs. Give him some credit. =)

[15]Yes, indeed, Toussaint had many kids IOTL. Placidia is someone you may hear more of in future installments.

[16]How does one translate that into French?

[17]Indeed so. How will Napoleon react to this? Wait and see.

[18]Dessalines would probably kill every single last planter on the island, given the chance to do so.

[19]Though Msr. L'Ouverture realizes that Philadelphia may not necessarily be willing to go too far all at once. He's prepared himself for that, however.

[20]Yes, quite, for the time of the planters is running very short indeed....

There you go, finally got part 1 finished. :D

I'd also like to see if anybody would like to help me out with Ireland here.....I know where I'd like to go but I'm not exactly how sure to get there. Any ideas?