A Better Name For The War Of 1812

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canadian War of Independance (meaning from the US of course)

Even more of a misnomer than that which I proposed, as Canadian "independence" could really only be dated from 1867 at the earliest, and from British parliament even then.

The Toronto Burning Campaign. ;)

Kill with fire! :mad:

attachment.php

I prefer the second one. My current history text book (I'm in Advanced Placement Sophmore US History) refers to the war as such, because really if they had lost there'd be no America.

Ugh, no. See dj's post. VVVVVV

There wasn't any threat of annexation at all. The most Britain ever even thought about was the Old Northwest (to make an Indian Protectorate out of) and maybe New Orleans...

Britain had neither the will nor the desire to occupy the rest of the states. You can't really fight a war of Independence when you are already independent and you invade the other country...

I vote for "The War of the Sixth Coalition, North American Theatre". You guys were the bad guys in that war. Get over it.

Your history course/text book sucks, really badly

My high school APUS history book used the same tagline for the war. We must have used the same one.

Churchill says, "[The Battle of New Orleans] led to the belief that the Americans had decisively won the war, and it created an evil legend that the struggle had been a second War of Independence against British tyrrany."

My suggestions:
The Great Lakes War
The Northwestern War
The Great Distraction (British POV, from Napoleonic mischief)
The Grand Adventure (American POV, referring to the bold but fruitless invasions of Canada)

I vote for "The War of the Sixth Coalition, North American Theatre". You guys were the bad guys in that war. Get over it.

Sorry, but America was not allied to Napoleon, except by virtue of the fact that both France and America were independently at war with Perfidious Albion and her Canadian lap-dogs. ;)

War of the 6th coalition, seconded.

Said Second Coalition being Russia and Uk.

France and US were co-belligerent against Uk only, not allied.

And France was obviously the good side in that war; it was really spreading enlightment values through Europe in those years. :D:D:D

Faeelin

Banned
And France was obviously the good side in that war; it was really spreading enlightment values through Europe in those years. :D:D:D

Enlightenment values consist of a police state run by a general, who appoints his siblings on the thrones of other nations out of a sense of territorial aggrandizement?

No wonder Metternich and co. tried so ruthlessly to suppress it.

Enlightenment values consist of a police state run by a general, who appoints his siblings on the thrones of other nations out of a sense of territorial aggrandizement?

I always imagined the Napoleonic Wars kind of like like the World Wars in that Britain being the bastion of democracy (in America's place, not that she didn't exist) and funding all the less desirable allied nations...

Even more of a misnomer than that which I proposed, as Canadian "independence" could really only be dated from 1867 at the earliest, and from British parliament even then.

Dominion status didn't really change much, the colonies (or at least most of them, not sure on all) were self-governing before that.
A more accurate term would be 'The War of Canadian Freedom' but you know how this forum feels about the F word. The point is they managed to avoid being conquered by the US and were allowed to decide their own fate of staying with Britain.

It was still much more enlightened than any other regime on continental europe ( Uk may be an exception depending on what you count; on some points Uk was better, on some others Napoleonic france was ) when you look at things like civil rights, rule of laws, importance of birth, wealth and ancestry and equality before the laws.

It was destroyed by the tyrans because it was an exemple they feared would induce their subjects to revolt, even if it was a somewhat blemished exemple :D:D:D

"Everything for the people, nothing by the people"

Everywhere Napoleon went he stopped the oppression of religious and cultural minorities, and built huge public works.

It was still much more enlightened than any other regime on continental europe ( Uk may be an exception depending on what you count; on some points Uk was better, on some others Napoleonic france was ) when you look at things like civil rights, rule of laws, importance of birth, wealth and ancestry and equality before the laws.

It was destroyed by the tyrans because it was an exemple they feared would induce their subjects to revolt, even if it was a somewhat blemished exemple :D:D:D

Very true. If you had to pick a dictator or autocrat to be ruled by in that age, Nappy definitely was your man. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.