The Eagle's Nest, An Alternate 1812 French Invasion Of Russia TL

The Eagle's Nest - Chapter 0
CHAPTER 0:

June 24, 1812, on the banks of the Niemen. On the bridges, 650,000 soldiers are advancing. The Grande Armée begins the Russian campaign. Napoleon's objective is simple and predictable: to penetrate very quickly and maneuver effectively into enemy territory in order to confront and defeat the opposing army in a decisive battle. Even though the vast majority of continental Europe is under French rule, time is running out. In less than five months, the local weather will prevent any coherent movement and put logistics in great difficulty.

1715457353744.png

As expected, the French advance was swift. In less than five weeks, the Grande Armée had already covered half the route that separates it from Moscow. However, five years of relative peace had allowed the Russian army to learn from its mistakes and those made by all the European powers enemies of the French Empire. This time Russian generals avoided direct confrontation for as long as possible. The main army, commanded by Barclay De Tolly, retreated, taking advantage of the immensity of the territory at his disposal. This strategy seemed to be paying off. French logistics continued to stretch and losses from illness or desertion were more than worrying. On July 26-27, the French army attempted a maneuver to envelop De Tolly's troops in Vitebsk. The latter preferred confrontation this time, because of the disorganization and demotivation caused by the continued retreat and also because of the pressure from the Tsar and his court. However, the fighting was only slightly intense and abruptly stopped by the orderly departure of the Russian army. Napoleon had tactically won, but he decided to take a break in order to reorganize his exhausted troops. Meanwhile, De Tolly had to deal with a seemingly more aggressive commander, General Pyotr Bagration.

On August 12, the Grande Armée resumed its advance. The French objective was always to encircle the main Russian army. This time the action took place in Smolensk. Bagration and his troops were massed there. Supreme Commander Barclay De Tolly was ordered by the Tsar to defend the city and did so. A slowdown in French troops had allowed the Russians to prepare defensively. On August 16, Napoleon ordered several of his troops to attack head-on. With artillery support, the attack was a success, but a very violent fire broke out in the evening in Smolensk and the entire army of De Barclay had just arrived to lend a hand to that of Bagration. During the night, the Russian command decided to retreat and abandon the city. While the city was reduced to ashes by the flames and on the morning of August 17 the vanguard of the Grande Armée occupied what remained of the buildings, the Russian troops crossed the Smolenka and outstripped their enemies.

—​

August 18. The bulk of the forces of the Grande Armée arrive in the ruins of Smolensk. Napoleon ordered a break for the day. While the soldiers feed, rest and bury their dead comrades, the Emperor reflects in his camp. He asked to be alone so he could meditate on the situation. He weighs up: his troops marched at full speed for almost two months and crossed hundreds of kilometers of hostile and ravaged territory. His forces are exhausted, logistics are more and more catastrophic as they advance inland, and it is impossible to obtain supplies locally because the regions crossed are poor and ruined. Worse, the Russian army is far away and has so far shown itself to be faster than the French army. While the enemies seem ready to fight to the end, the Tsar has decided to take refuge in St. Petersburg, far from the main target that is Moscow. Furthermore, the Russian winter is only three months away from beginning. After making his calculations, Napoleon shakes his head before muttering “Those damn Russians! ". In the evening, the Emperor announced to his generals that the Grande Armée was stopping at Smolensk until next spring. The troops are informed that the break will be extended for at least another week and that they should prepare to camp here for an extended period of time. As this August day ends, the Emperor explains his choice to his subordinates by summarizing everything in a simple sentence: ‘We have all of Europe with us!’. And an undeniable argument: ‘Only a fool would risk the best army in the world in a hazardous campaign when the war is already won in advance!'.

—​

Side Note: This is my first TL on this site, so don't hesitate to give advice, opinions and criticism (remain cordial if possible ;-) )! This chapter 0 was first made to give the context and present the PoD of this TL (The Grande Armée stopping its campaign in Smolensk to wait until next spring). The next part, which will cover the end of the rest of the year 1812, will surely be published soon. Oh, and also let me know what you think of the map I made. Visual points are very important IMO as soon as we talk about military strategy and battles, so I’ll surely continue creating these maps for the next chapters.

Great start!
While the enemies seem ready to fight to the end, the Tsar has decided to take refuge in St. Petersburg, far from the main target that is Moscow
Napoleon didn't aim at Moscow AFAIK, he was pursuing the Russian armies who were retreating towards Moscow but his only objective was to crush the Russian armies in a battle and force the Tsar to make peace.
In the evening, the Emperor announced to his generals that the Grande Armée was stopping at Smolensk until next spring.
Not certain if logistics allow it, will it be forced to retreat to the Duchy of Warsaw at some point?

Last edited:
Great start!

Napoleon didn't aim at Moscow AFAIK, he was pursuing the Russian armies who were retreating towards Moscow but his only objective was to crush the Russian armies in a battle and force the Tsar to make peace.
You're right for the first weeks of the campaign. But around the End of july, when the Grande Armée was at Vitebsk, Napoleon was more and more convinced that threatening Moscow was the best option to provock the Russian Army into an open battle. It was logical, because the Russians were clearly running away from the fight N wanted, so better target their main city (even if not the capital) to let them no reason to keep retreating. Of course this is OTL (as everything is before August 18).
Not certain if logistics allow it, will it be forced to retreat to the Duchy of Warsaw at some point?
TBH, I hoped someone would point that out. Smolensk was in ruins and too far away from French logistical points which go from Vilna to Vitebsk. I'm not gonna spoil, I'm just gonna Say 2 things. A) Napoleon is more worried and cautious ITTL while being still ambitious and 'napoleonic', let's Say, regarding tactics. B) The Russians will keep using about the same strategy that IOTL.
Napoleon dying Russia.
Basically, the French failing at crossing the Berezina River would be the worst scenario ever. You would have the GA completely destroyed and N captured. OTL You just had like 90% of the GA destroyed and N reputation shattered.

You're right for the first weeks of the campaign. But around the End of july, when the Grande Armée was at Vitebsk, Napoleon was more and more convinced that threatening Moscow was the best option to provock the Russian Army into an open battle. It was logical, because the Russians were clearly running away from the fight N wanted, so better target their main city (even if not the capital) to let them no reason to keep retreating. Of course this is OTL (as everything is before August 18).
It's still not his main objective, it's a mean to achieve the decisive battle he wanted and if he stays in Smolensk then he definitely isn't aiming at Moscow, at least for the moment.
A) Napoleon is more worried and cautious ITTL while being still ambitious and 'napoleonic', let's Say, regarding tactics
He was "Napoleonic" during the entire campaign and it didn't work which was why he wasn't very "Napoleonic" IOTL Borodino.
Basically, the French failing at crossing the Berezina River would be the worst scenario ever. You would have the GA completely destroyed and N captured. OTL You just had like 90% of the GA destroyed and N reputation shattered.
The whole Empire would be destroyed immediately, I ask myself what would do what remains of the French leadership (especially the remaining generals in Iberia).

It's still not his main objective, it's a mean to achieve the decisive battle he wanted and if he stays in Smolensk then he definitely isn't aiming at Moscow, at least for the moment.
True. IOTL, Moscow was just a mean to provock the Russian Army into battle (at least until mid-september, when N convinced himself that taking the city would 'force' the Tsar to begin peace talks, which was more wishful thinking than anything else because even the Austrians didn't give up in 1805 and 1809 when Vienna fell, it was the military defeat that brought them to the peace table). ITTL he's clearly not aiming at Moscow but at preserving his army for the next year as he had understood that Russia was too big for his logistics to follow his troops' movement.
He was "Napoleonic" during the entire campaign and it didn't work which was why he wasn't very "Napoleonic" IOTL Borodino.
From a certain point of view it could be considered 'napoleonic' to stop the advance to lure his ennemies into a battle with a seemingly weakened army (e.g: Austerlitz). I don't say this is the case ITTL, but the Russians could think so. Russian geography impeded classic Napoleonic tactics as being that swift and 'risk-lover' was near suicidal in this context. This is why he had to change a bit, but just a bit. If he had abandonned most of his preconceived ideas, he would have decided as ITTL.
The whole Empire would be destroyed immediately, I ask myself what would do what remains of the French leadership (especially the remaining generals in Iberia).
Ironically, it could have ended better for the Bonaparte dynasty, as Austria would have supported Napoleon's young son with Marie-Louise as a regent. The French Empire would have been dismantled, but Nappy's legacy would have continued through his family. I think the French generals would have sued for peace, knowing well they had no chance to win.

From a certain point of view it could be considered 'napoleonic' to stop the advance to lure his ennemies into a battle with a seemingly weakened army (e.g: Austerlitz). I don't say this is the case ITTL, but the Russians could think so. Russian geography impeded classic Napoleonic tactics as being that swift and 'risk-lover' was near suicidal in this context. This is why he had to change a bit, but just a bit. If he had abandonned most of his preconceived ideas, he would have decided as ITTL.
If most of his army is there he doesn't look weak, at Austerlitz he was outnumbered and it played into Nap's hands that the Tsar forced Kutuzov to attack, the Grande Armée still outnumbers the Russians by a lot in TTL Russian Campaign. The best Nap can hope is that Barclay is forced to fight Napoleon and that he manages to defeat the Russians, which is already not very likely.
Ironically, it could have ended better for the Bonaparte dynasty, as Austria would have supported Napoleon's young son with Marie-Louise as a regent. The French Empire would have been dismantled, but Nappy's legacy would have continued through his family. I think the French generals would have sued for peace, knowing well they had no chance to win.
Apart from Murat who would keep his Kingdom, I don't see the others remaining in high enough positions; the Kingdom of Naples was not very important to the GP but the rest of the Napoleonic Empire definitely was.
There's no way the British let the French Empire survive, restoring the Bourbons was one of the main goals of the Coalitions, Nap II won't be put on the throne by the ones who dethroned his father.

If most of his army is there he doesn't look weak, at Austerlitz he was outnumbered and it played into Nap's hands that the Tsar forced Kutuzov to attack, the Grande Armée still outnumbers the Russians by a lot in TTL Russian Campaign. The best Nap can hope is that Barclay is forced to fight Napoleon and that he manages to defeat the Russians, which is already not very likely.
That's why I said it wasn't like Austerlitz, but it could still make the Russians a bit paranoid for a very short period of time. As IOTL Barcaly time as the supreme commander of the Russian Army is coming to an end. I think the identity of the new S.C is well-known, but what will be interesting is what could realistically do the Russians. Contrary to many beliefs, the Russian Army retreating and escaping the GA for months was more a matter of improvisation and luck than deliberate strategy. Indeed, when you have such an army following you, you retreat, even more when you have the good geography to do so, but if this army stops following you, and that your Tsar keeps telling you that it is the time to strike, you will surely comply and at least try something offensive.
Apart from Murat who would keep his Kingdom, I don't see the others remaining in high enough positions; the Kingdom of Naples was not very important to the GP but the rest of the Napoleonic Empire definitely was.
There's no way the British let the French Empire survive, restoring the Bourbons was one of the main goals of the Coalitions, Nap II won't be put on the throne by the ones who dethroned his father.
Yeah, the Empire would be dismantled and France would be limited back to its pre-1792 borders, but Nappy II could replace his dead father. First, because he's very young, so he's not a threat at all (he was not even 2 in 1812). As for the British, they were far from being enthusiastic at seeing the Bourbons come back (they were traditional rivals after all). IOTL they chose them by default. Prussia is too weak to carry weight, while Austria would actively support it as Nappy II is half-Habsburg and his mother is Francis I's own daughter. Russia would oppose it, but is too far away from Western Europe to impose its will. I don't say this a 100% sure scenario, but it's at leat a 50% one.

That's why I said it wasn't like Austerlitz, but it could still make the Russians a bit paranoid for a very short period of time. As IOTL Barcaly time as the supreme commander of the Russian Army is coming to an end. I think the identity of the new S.C is well-known, but what will be interesting is what could realistically do the Russians. Contrary to many beliefs, the Russian Army retreating and escaping the GA for months was more a matter of improvisation and luck than deliberate strategy. Indeed, when you have such an army following you, you retreat, even more when you have the good geography to do so, but if this army stops following you, and that your Tsar keeps telling you that it is the time to strike, you will surely comply and at least try something offensive.
The Grande Armée still outnumbers the Russians so they cannot try anything offensive, IMO what will happen is the Tsar tells Barclay to fortify whatever city he is in at the moment and to hold his ground like he did at Smolensk.
First, because he's very young, so he's not a threat at all (he was not even 2 in 1812).
There's no way they're keeping the son of the one that conquered all of Europe literally a few months ago.
As for the British, they were far from being enthusiastic at seeing the Bourbons come back (they were traditional rivals after all). IOTL they chose them by default.
Britain always had the goal of restoring the Bourbons, not because they love them but because they're the legitimate monarchs of France; they never recognized Napoleon's Empire and wouldn't want to do so after he is defeated.
Prussia is too weak to carry weight, while Austria would actively support it as Nappy II is half-Habsburg and his mother is Francis I's own daughter. Russia would oppose it, but is too far away from Western Europe to impose its will.
Prussia and Russia have the two largest armies in Europe at that point and they already are allies on Prussia getting Saxony and Russia gaining all of Poland; Austria meanwhile is the only one who potentially supports this (there still would be a lot of persons who would protest such an outcome) and is not in a position to enforce this as they are quite weak at this point

The Grande Armée still outnumbers the Russians so they cannot try anything offensive, IMO what will happen is the Tsar tells Barclay to fortify whatever city he is in at the moment and to hold his ground like he did at Smolensk.
It could be the case if Nappy did stay at Smolensk until next spring. But you know, things tend to change quicly and people can change their mind...
There's no way they're keeping the son of the one that conquered all of Europe literally a few months ago.
I'm sure Austria would have no problem doing that and the UK would have only asked for more concessions (in the colonies for example).
Britain always had the goal of restoring the Bourbons, not because they love them but because they're the legitimate monarchs of France; they never recognized Napoleon's Empire and wouldn't want to do so after he is defeated.
IMO the biggest problem would be the French elites. Are they ready to be ruled by a Habsburg for 15 years and then by a young man with only little legitimacy.
Prussia and Russia have the two largest armies in Europe at that point and they already are allies on Prussia getting Saxony and Russia gaining all of Poland; Austria meanwhile is the only one who potentially supports this (there still would be a lot of persons who would protest such an outcome) and is not in a position to enforce this as they are quite weak at this point
Actually, Austria was the one with the biggest army, except maybe Russia. More importantly, Austria had at the time way more diplomatic influence than Prussia which had lost all its army and like half of its territory during Tilsit in 1807. As for reluctance from the part of people in Austria, Metternich and Francis I were in favor of keeping Nappy II as Emperor of France, that's why they hesitated to attack France during 1813 when Prussia declared war without much hesitation.

It could be the case if Nappy did stay at Smolensk until next spring. But you know, things tend to change quicly and people can change their mind...
Attacking an army which outnumbers you seems like a suicidal idea and Napoleon always marched his armies together in the Russian campaign so I doubt occasion arises.
I'm sure Austria would have no problem doing that and the UK would have only asked for more concessions (in the colonies for example).
The UK would very much oppose it, it would be the son of Napoleon I and if only Austria pushes for it, a plan of Austria to have a puppeted/allied France both of which are unacceptable.
The main goal of Britain was to create peace in the continent as to prevent any situation like what just happened in the last 20 years, Nap II remaining in power goes against this will. The UK is about as enthusiastic for a Napoleonic France as it was IOTL.
IMO the biggest problem would be the French elites. Are they ready to be ruled by a Habsburg for 15 years and then by a young man with only little legitimacy.
Another problem is that you would have to make the Emigrés come back in France, now imagined how the common people will love that a Habsburg is letting nobles taking back their land, the situation in post-Napoleonic France is terrible and Marie-Louise will be blamed for it, look at how long Louis XVIII survived on the throne.
Actually, Austria was the one with the biggest army, except maybe Russia. More importantly, Austria had at the time way more diplomatic influence than Prussia which had lost all its army and like half of its territory during Tilsit in 1807. As for reluctance from the part of people in Austria, Metternich and Francis I were in favor of keeping Nappy II as Emperor of France, that's why they hesitated to attack France during 1813 when Prussia declared war without much hesitation.
I'm pretty sure that Prussia had a lot of troops which combined with Russia's were enough to make any armed confrontation against them in the Polish-Saxon crisis impossible.
Metternich and Francis might but I doubt all of the Austrian leadership was fine with it.

Last edited:
Attacking an army which outnumbers you seems like a suicidal idea and Napoleon always marched his armies together in the Russian campaign so I doubt occasion arises.
I Guess you'll have to wait until the next update to make me talk about this more (I don't wanna spoil). Meanwhile, be sure I'm gonna take your recommandations into account.
The UK would very much oppose it, it would be the son of Napoleon I and if only Austria pushes for it, a plan of Austria to have a puppeted/allied France both of which are unacceptable.
The main goal of Britain was to create peace in the continent as to prevent any situation like what just happened in the last 20 years, Nap II remaining in power goes against this will. The UK is about as enthusiastic for a Napoleonic France as it was IOTL.
This is a very interesting subject but I'm not gonna further expand on this as this is off-topic here. But that's true your points and mine are IMO equally valid. If You want to create a Thread yourself to talk about this, You Can be sure I would be a part of it ;-) .

Last edited:
The Eagle's Nest - Chapter I
CHAPTER I:
Map Chapter I, TL1.png

Just a few days after the decisive choice was made by Napoleon, he had to admit that Smolensk was not suitable as the main place of hibernation for his army. In fact, the devastation suffered by the city during the terrible fire meant that the soldiers were deprived of shelter and that logistics were deprived of infrastructure. In addition, the city was geographically too close to the center of gravity of the Russian army, which raised fears of continued harassment by the Cossacks. This is why the Grande Armée set out again, this time to move back towards Vitebsk. Having left on August 25, the army arrived at its new destination on the 29th. This town had remained almost intact and was perfectly located to receive the supplies which the French troops were so lacking.

Meanwhile, Russian troops had retreated following the fighting at Smolensk on August 16-17 and had moved far enough away to be able to forestall any French advance. The supreme commander of the Russian army, Barclay De Tolly, was dismissed from his position by the Tsar who replaced him with the experienced Mikhail Kutuzov. Alexander I expected him to do what his predecessor could not: hold on to the ground and agree to fight the Grande Armée when ordered to do so. Indeed, it now seemed clear that the invaders' objective was to march towards Moscow. Reconnaissance had certainly reported that the enemy troops had stopped at Smolensk, but this had also been the case following the battle of Vitebsk without this being lasting. Everything indicated that it was a short break. However, new reports came to destroy this theory. Indeed, it was reported that the French had retreated, and more precisely to go to Vitebsk. At the end of August, the news hit the Russian command like a bolt of lightning. Some rejoiced at this apparent end to the chase that had been the war since it began two months ago. Others, Kutuzov in particular, believed at first that it could be a ruse on the part of Napoleon, the memories of Austerlitz coming back to his mind. He quickly realized that it didn't make sense. Despite everything, his army was still weak and could not victoriously confront the Grande Armée as it stood. It was then decided to settle in Vyazma, in order to be able to anticipate any possible French movement then reorganize and amass new troops.

As September began, Napoleon was busy creating a defense on a coherent front. He recalled reserves from the Duchy of Warsaw and created a strategic quadrilateral based around four points: Polotsk, Vitebsk, Borisov and Vilna. Thus, it effectively protected his logistic lines from incessant attacks by Russian light cavalry. With the reinforcements which had just crossed the Niemen, he garrisoned all of these four towns and reinforced the front where the vast majority of the last fighting of this year was to be concentrated. Indeed, since July Riga had been besieged by Etienne MacDonald's X Corps. The latter had now failed to confine the Russian troops behind the city walls. In fact, Riga was not even surrounded and was still supplied. In addition, the Riga garrison had just been reinforced by the Army of Finland and had managed to repel the Prussians, allied with the French, from several key sectors. It is in this context that MacDonald saw his troops double, going from 25,000 to 50,000. On September 28, the French decided to attack again. They forcefully attacked the strategic town of Jelgava, which they retook with astonishing ease while capturing many Russian soldiers and cannons. The lack of coordination between the two Russian commanders greatly helped them [1]. Continuing their momentum, they crossed the Dvina at Tome and managed to outflank totally surprised and isolated Russian troops. In a short time, the noose tightened on Riga, which found itself surrounded when Rumbula fell. French siege guns could now pound the city's demoralized garrison. While the Russians hoped for help from Peter Wittgenstein and his troops, the fighting taking place around Polotsk prevented any reinforcements from arriving [2]. Finally, the Riga garrison surrendered on October 19, 1812 to MacDonald who took the city without it being destroyed, the soldiers and the inhabitants refusing to burn their own shelters and houses.

In Saint Petersburg, Alexander I received the news of the fall of Riga with anguish. From now on the French had an intact point of support on the path which led directly to the capital. While the fighting at Polotsk had turned to the advantage of the Grande Armée, the Tsar recalled Wittgenstein's army towards Pskov so that it could spend the winter in shelter and strengthen itself. During this time, enlistment doubled in intensity, allowing the Russian army to make up its losses, although the new recruits severely lacked experience and sometimes adequate equipment too. In Vitebsk, Napoleon was busy writing letters and orders. As the Russian winter was about to begin, orders were given to the leaders of the Duchy of Warsaw to begin mobilizing their population in order to be able to provide significant troops to the Grande Armée by next spring. Indeed, the losses were catastrophic during this 1812 campaign. On June 24, the Emperor had been at the head of an immense army of nearly 450,000 soldiers when he crossed the Niemen. Five months later, only 320,000 soldiers were still able to fight, including around 50,000 in Riga, 150,000 in Vitebsk and the rest serving as garrisons in Polotsk, Borisov and Vilna. However, the losses were even more serious than they appeared, because in the meantime nearly 120,000 reserve troops had come to reinforce the Grande Armée during the months of September and October. This meant that in reality the Grande Armée of June 24 lost more than half of its troops in less than 6 months [3]. From now on, Napoleon only had 80,000 soldiers in reserves in the Duchy of Warsaw, hence the urgent need to mobilize new forces in Poland, but also in Prussia, which was asked to raise a new troop of 30,000 soldiers for the 1813 campaign, but especially in France, where the Emperor was considering returning for a short time during the winter in order to mobilize new soldiers. Despite the staffing problems, the logistical question seemed to be improving more and more. Indeed, the cessation of the advance of troops and the large garrisons allocated to the defense of the supply lines made it possible to streamline and protect the arrival of the resources that the Grande Armée so badly needed. In this month of November, as the first snowflakes fell in Russia and temperatures plummeted, the 1812 Campaign ended after claiming hundreds of thousands of victims on both camps, but already in Vitebsk, around Napoleon, as in Saint Petersburg, around the Tsar, it is said that the 1813 Campaign will not fail to make the vast Russian steppes bleed.

[1] Essen and Steinheil were the two main Russian commanders at Riga when these events occurred, both ITTL and IOTL. They often had coordination and communication problems. For example, at the Battle of Mesothen (September 26-October 1st), Essen’s troops retreated without even warning Steinheil of his departure, leaving him alone to face the Prussian troops. Here, the sudden arrival of 25,000 ‘French’ reinforcements sows panic in the Russian ranks, now largely outnumbered while they’re in the midst of an already difficult situation.

[2] IOTL, the 2nd Battle of Polotsk took place from October 18 to 20. ITTL, it takes place 2 weeks earlier, as Peter Wiitgenstein tries to drive the ‘French’ out of Polotsk before the arrival of new reinforcements. Keep in mind that Wittgenstein’s army itself was recently reinforced by almost 10,000 additional troops, instead of the 20,000 IOTL in mid-october. So, Wittgeinstein’s army fails at taking Polotsk, but even worse, it is forced to retreat and thus stops being a direct threat to the French troops in the region. Later, the Tsar sends this army at Pskov to hibernate, as we will see later in the text.

[3] Of the 450,000 soldiers who crossed the Niemen on June 24, only 200,000 were able to fight 6 months later, at the very end of 1812. Around 150,000-200,000 of them died, as most of the time being seriously injured during the campaign means death, and tens of thousands of them are prisoners of the Russians or simply deserted. It is a disaster, but IOTL it was way worse. In reality, the Grande Armée suffered 500,000 losses during the OTL 1812 campaign, and only 10,000-20,000 of them were able to fight when they crossed back the Niemen in mid-december.

Last edited:
From where did these troops arrive?
They arrived from the Duchy of Warsaw. According to the sources I read, the Grande Armée (450,000 soldiers crossed the Niemen in late June) had 200,000 troops in reserve in Poland. I calculated that if these troops were called to go to Riga by the very beginning Of September, they would arrive at Riga, to join MacDonald's Corps three weeks laters, around September 22-25.

They arrived from the Duchy of Warsaw. According to the sources I read, the Grande Armée (450,000 soldiers crossed the Niemen in late June) had 200,000 troops in reserve in Poland. I calculated that if these troops were called to go to Riga by the very beginning Of September, they would arrive at Riga, to join MacDonald's Corps three weeks laters, around September 22-25.
What was the quality of these troops? Because if they're troops of the Duchy of Warsaw itself then the quality must be very bad (the duchy was bankrupt and soldiers weren't paid for months).