WI Henry dies in the joust and Anne gives birth to a son

Queen Katherine's Shade
"She is here. I can feel her presence. I don't know if she wants to aid me or curse me," Queen Anne Boleyn.

Nearly thirty years ago, Queen Katherine rode out to face the Scots. And now her successor or usurper depending on who you asked was now doing the same thing. However, this wasn't just an invasion by an old king trying to do right by his allies. This was an attack that would determine her son's right to rule. Luckily, most of the nobles who would side with King James had already defected or been attained because of the Pilgrimage of Grace.

However, she would be a fool to think things would be easier. As she had done the last time, she had Elizabeth and King Henry moved to somewhere safe. The Duke of Kent, the Duke of Norfolk, and the Duke of Wiltshire led her army, but she made a speech to the soldiers, reminding them that that her late husband had declared Elizabeth and by extension, Henry his true heirs. She then thanked them as a mother and as a queen for fighting to protect her son's inheritance. She assured them that if she could she would fight beside them.

The soldiers cheered her, chanting her name before they left for battle. Anne would later note in her letter to her sister that the men might not fight for her, but they would fight tooth and nail for her son. She also added that while she spoke to the soldiers, she had been struck by a premonition. She didn't know how or why, but she was certain that Queen Katherine of Aragon had been beside her as she made her speech.

The battle of Solway Moss was embarrassingly one-sided. The Scots had inferior weaponry and there was infighting among their commanders. Meanwhile, the Duke of Norfolk had fought several battles and his old age had done little to dim his tactical mind. It helped that several of the Scottish soldiers perished in the bog, unfamiliar with the terrain.

To make matters worse for the Scots, King James fell ill with his wife having given birth to a daughter. Once King James died, his infant daughter became Queen Mary of Scots. And it didn't take long for Anne to smell oppertunity. Perhaps it was time for her son to get a bride.

Last edited:
Would you believe it just occurred to me how perfect it would be. As a bonus I can have her be Mary I of England too.
At least, there will be no Rough Wooing. Honestly, what was Henry VIII thinking when he did that? ...Actually, no, I doubt that he thought that through before doing that.

Last edited:
Would you believe it just occurred to me how perfect it would be. As a bonus I can have her be Mary I of England too.
YES! And henry, Henry I of scotland, it's only fair.

Suggestion for their firstborn son and heir: William. After the Conqueror and the Lion. To beging the process of true union.

At least, there will be no Rough Wooing. Honestly, what was Henry VIII thinking when he did that? ...Actually, no, I doubt that he didn't think that through before doing that.
Henry not thinking things through is something will always happen. It is a fact of life.
YES! And henry, Henry I of scotland, it's only fair.

Suggestion for their firstborn son and heir: William. After the Conqueror and the Lion. To beging the process of true union.
Oooh, I like it. William the Third of Britain and Scotland.

The Agreement of the Dowager Queens
"Somewhere in Heaven, Longshanks must be quite pleased," George Boleyn commented.

Queen Marie de Guise hoped to flee to France with her baby daughter, but unfortunately, by the time she was out of confinement, the English army were on the doorstep of Fotheringhay Castle. Marie knew that if she was not careful her daughter could be replaced with the Earl of Arran. She needed to strengthen her daughter's throne and if she could not have her marry the son of Dauphin Henri, the king of England was the next best thing. Therefore she sought to speak to Queen Anne, hoping they could speak woman to woman, mother to mother, widow to widow.

Anne and Marie met in private with only a few lords in attendance. The negotiations dragged out for three days with the point being most deliberated was where Mary would live. Marie and the Scots obviously wanted the baby queen to be raised in Scotland but Anne and her advisors feared that Mary would be smuggled to France if they did not have her in England under the care of a trusted subject.

After arguing about it for quite sometime, they at last came to a compromise. Mary would live in Scotland until she turned ten. She would be given an English governess and Margaret Douglas's husband, Thomas Howard, would be given the Earldom of Moray. When she married King Henry, he would be declared King of Scots and in exchange Mary would be known as the Queen of England, Ireland, and Wales, allowing them to be co-monarchs.

It was an unusual agreement that no one was quite satisfied with. However, it was agreed that was as good as it was going to get. With her son's bride secured, Anne returned to England where upon she greeted her beloved daughter and son. "A Scottish queen for my sweet boy and a French duke for my darling girl," Queen Anne proclaimed. "I am most happy."

Last edited:
@Violet Rose Lily ! Amazing comeback!

And yay! Mary of scots is secured for Henry IX! The British isles will at last be united!

And george is quite right! Longshanks is rejoicing that his work is at last complete!