1941, Friday 05 December;

They had arrived on Thursday, about half past six in the evening. The big Catalina, one of five newly acquired by RAF 205 Squadron, touched down in Manila Bay at the end of a 12-hour flight from Singapore. It taxied over to a mooring buoy, where a harbour launch waited, engines idling. The launch took Vice Admiral Layton, his CoS, Capt Collins RAN, and Phillip's Staff Officer, Plans, Cmdr Goodenough RN, to a quayside. There an aide was waiting with a car to take them to the Comandancia, a hotel chosen by Admiral Hart.

A couple of hours later, shaved and showered, and in clean clothes, they were driven to the Manila Hotel where Hart was based. They met him in a private dining room, where he greeted them, first formally by salute, then with a warm smile and handshakes. Hart's other guest was Lt General Douglas MacArthur, C-in-C of US Army forces in the Philippines. It had been a pleasant meal, an ice breaker, to make everyone comfortable, with easy light conversation. Then Hart bade them all goodnight, and let them retire to their hotel, to sleep off the long journey.

The conference, held in the Marsman building, was supposed to start at 11.30 AM the next morning, after a late breakfast, but had been delayed, not convening until nearly 1 PM. The meeting had been born out of the idea, from both Roosevelt and Churchill, that the two navies needed to work together where they could, although Hart and Layton had met before. Layton and his aides were ushered into the room by a US Marine. All present were in their dress uniforms, the whites of the naval officers contrasting with the blood stripe down the blue trouser legs of the Marine orderlies. Besides Admiral Hart and his Navy staff, and the British trio, General MacArthur and a small Army staff were also present. The Dutch had been invited but the short notice meant they hadn't been able to attend.

MacArthur had started the meeting, firstly apologising on behalf of Admiral Hart for the delay, and then sidelining him, by beginning to detail the defences, both provided and planned for the Philippines. His assessment was that the air danger was small, the American and US trained Filipino army could cope with an invasion, and the Japanese could mount one only operation at a time, Malaya or the Philippines. Furthermore, the planned expansion of his forces over the next few months would make them even stronger by next spring. If the Japanese tried it, he'd make them sorry. It was mostly a monologue from MacArthur, although Layton had spoken when asked if the British had considered basing their fleet here in Manila with the US Navy. Leyton had diplomatically replied "We will surely look to take full advantage of any offer if events allow." Thankfully, MacArthur finished with the clock striking 4.30 PM, exclaiming that he'd love to stay but important pressing matters were dragging him away. Everyone stood as MacArthur rose to leave, shook Layton's hand and nodded to Hart, then departed with his aides.

Hart now took over. "Gentlemen, we'll take refreshment now, papers away please. Lieutenant Dawsey, you may call the waiters in. It's only a buffet, and I'm afraid we've lost a bit of time. So with your blessing I'd like to try and gain some back as we've a lot to do. We'll reconvene at 5 PM sharp. Admiral Layton, may I have a word in private with you, please?"

Hart took Leyton's arm and gently led him to an adjourning room, closing the door behind them. "Geoffrey, I can only apologize. Douglas and I have been friends for more years than I'd care to remember, but I'm afraid this command of his has somewhat brought about a regrettable change in him. He didn't use to be so overbearing."

"My dear Tommy, that's quite all right. I understand: I had some inkling that he was somewhat difficult from what Lord Gort told me after he was here last. Thankfully, I don't really have much to do with the chap, that's Gort's affair. I don't think what goes on with the Army should spoil our relationship. We're good friends and we think alike. However, as you said out there, there is quite a lot to get through today, and events are pressing forward at pace, even as we speak."

"Yes, just my thoughts too. Come over here by the window, let me open these two, and enjoy some fresh air. There's Manila Bay, Geoffrey, crammed with merchant shipping. Twenty-eight miles in front of you, at the neck of the bay, lies Corregidor Island, with Fort Mills on it. Along with the other smaller forts, it commands the entrance to the bay. Nothing comes in or goes out without Fort Mills' say-so. Now if you look left, the coastline runs about ten miles before it curls back a couple of miles on the peninsula, so eight miles from us is the Cavite naval dockyard. That is where MacArthur is proposing you station your fleet."

Hart gave a small sign, and gently shook his head. "Geoffrey, what I am about to tell you now must remain between us. If MacArthur, or even Roosevelt, hears of it, I'm finished, up on the beach."

"Not a word shall reach the wrong ear, Tommy. You have my word, not just as a fellow sailor, but as a friend: mum's the word, as we say."

"Thank you. It's complete madness, Geoffrey. The fact is I'm moving everything I can out of here. Otherwise the bay will become the graveyard of the Asiatic Fleet. The defences MacArthur so loudly trumpets are pitiful. He's completely delusional. If the Japanese attack, we're gonna take a hammering. And I don't buy into his idea that the Japanese have to choose one of us. The fact is I think they can take on both of us.

"I'm not saying that Manila could never be used. In time, if we have it, the planned Army, and most importantly Air Force reinforcements, along with an established early warning system with these new radar sets they're sending us, could provide us with a good defence. But as it is, pretty much all my surface fleet is away, a few ships still to go, either in southern Philippine waters, or over off the east coast of Borneo, with the Dutch. I'm still keeping the submarines and their supporting vessels here. I think over a fairly short period of time, their bite will really be felt. We need to confirm our areas of operations. It wouldn't do to have either of us sink the other's submarine."

"Yes, I quite agree," Layton replied. "When hostilities break out, I'll pull back my two submarines currently basing out of Hong Kong, and we'll work on the old agreement. Everything north and east of Vung Ro Bay, just above Cam Ranh Bay, is yours, everything below, mine. And I say 'when', Tommy, because that big convoy of transports, covered by an impressive task force, is not coming down south for tea. The Japanese very much mean business. Phillips has ordered Hong Kong cleared of all merchant ships as a precaution, and he's also asked Helfrich for the two promised Dutch submarines."

"So, you all think war's coming too Geoffrey. Ah, it must be, surely. I mean, by god, what other reason would they be doing it for, occupying Thailand?"

"Well, that's Gort's nightmare, simply an occupation of Thailand, and nothing more, goading us to make a wrong move, become the aggressor, and start a war with Japan, with you still sitting on the sidelines. Would Roosevelt declare war? Could he? Would the American people support that? There's still a strong isolationist movement in your country!"

"The idea of the US defending the British Empire, propping it up, doesn't sit well with many too, Geoffrey. Roosevelt made it quite clear: no American boys fighting other people's wars!"

"Christ, what a mess, Tommy. How did we get here? The only thing I can say with certainty is I won't be worrying about it much longer. Now that Tom Thumb has arrived, I'm being recalled. Quite what their Lordships have in mind for me, I don't know yet, but it won't be running the Navy out here. What about you? Will you stay here?"

"I'm not sure to be honest. So long as I have an operational base here, I guess I will, but I have no idea how long that will be."

"And then, full back to Singapore, or Surabaya?"

"Or even Darwin. Geoffrey, is Surabaya going to be any better than Cavite in two months' time? As for Singapore, well. that's stretching my lines of supply even further. The Navy isn't keen on that idea, although Washington might have other ideas."

"How much will you send south, Tommy?"

"Well, the reason for us delaying today's meeting was the arrival this morning, of two China gunboats, Oahu and Luzon, with Rear Adm Glassford aboard. I was down at Cavite with Rear Adm Rockwell, my new Naval District commander, to meet him. The boats took a battering sailing through a typhoon; I'm half surprised he didn't lose them. Nevertheless, it's yet more work for Rockwell's Naval Base. I told him 'Get as many ships seaworthy as possible, cut corners where you can.' We got Houston away to Panay Island nice and quickly, but only half her planned upgrade was done. Four 1.1" anti-aircraft quad-mounts were added, but the radar unit and four searchlights had to be left unfitted. The four destroyers of DesDiv 59 are in various stages of refit. Now he's trying to get them ready."

"Destroyers, well now, they're on my list of things to ask about, Tommy. Phillips is desperately short of them, and few of them are modern, Force Z is barely covered. Are you able to help in this matter?"

"Yes, I can help, Geoffrey. But first let me reiterate: if I lend him a division of my old four-stackers, they must remain together, and not be disproportionally put at risk. I can't let the Royal Navy fight to the last US destroyer."

"I fully understand, and if the shoe was on the other foot, would propose that myself. The help won't be abused."

There was a knock on the door, and a young ensign entered and saluted. "Begging your pardon, Admiral Hart, Sir, but I have a signal from Singapore for Admiral Layton." Hart nodded, and the ensign handed the paper to Layton, saluted again and left. Layton waited for the door to close, then turned to Hart and asked "Do you mind me reading it now, Tommy?"

"No, not at all," Hart replied. "Be my guest, Geoffrey."

Layton opened the envelope, and read the message, then looked up at Hart. "We have moved to a first degree of readiness; Phillips has put Thracian on a four-hour notice to sail from Hong Kong with the last military personnel to be evacuated. Force Z may sail in the next 24 hours!"

Hart looked thoughtful, and said, "Geoffrey, I'll order the sailing of DesDiv 58 for Singapore immediately, for service under Phillip's command, if I have your word they'll be used as one unit and you don't spare your own destroyers. And tell Phillips, if he sails, I wish him luck."

Layton gave a small smile. "Thanks, Tommy. Let's shake on it. Your help is much appreciated."

"I suppose we'd best get back to our meeting, Geoffrey. There's a lot of planning to do, and little time to do it."
Question, Des Div 57 was the unit sent OTL, they with their tender Black Hawk were at Balikpapan, Borneo, DesDiv 58 was with the Squadron CO in DD Paul Jones and the CL Marblehead at Tarakan, Borneo much further away.

wow that is really not much AAA when you think about it in comparison to a single US late war AA Unit. heck even the typical Division had nearly 400 50cal machine guns.
This was an ad Hoc set up, each 3" battery was manned by 1 platoon from each of the rifle companies of th Marine Rifle companies, and the AAMGs were manned by the Weapons company. The 2 Independent Marine Battalions were at full strength plus. HQHQ Company, 3 Rifle Companies, and a Weapons Company. Since April 1941 Hart had stopped forwarding replacements to the 4th Marines in China. He was afraid the Sate Department would dither about pulling the Regiment out in time. As is the Marines arrived from China on December 4th, barely enough time to integrate the Olongapo Battalion as 3rd Battalion and move the extra men to fill out 1st and 2nd Battalions out. As is 2oo Marines ad a skeleton crew on the PG Oahu were captured because State Department did dither and delay. The State Department, very wrongly believed that the Peking and Tensin Marines would be classed as diplomatic personnel and exchanged . They were not ! Those marines were the first American military personnel to enter the Hell of the Japanese POW system.

Source? The G3M came into service in 1935 so it would be well known it could carry torpedoes.
There were over 100 G3M and G4M stationed by the IJNAF on Formosa in addition to over 200 Vals, Kates, Claudes, and Zeros. Had Hart moved the Asiatic Fleet to intercept the Japanese invasion force that is what they would have faced with no air cover.

Nah. He wasn't expecting aerial torpedoes.
He wasn't expecting aircraft carrying aerial torpedoes to be able to reach him. That's the critical point - Torpedoes are big and heavy beasts, and there's a hard limit to what a particular engine power (fairly well known) could lift off the ground. Within that weight you need to allocate aerostructure, fuel, crew, weaponry, armour, etc.

The mistake made by the British (and indeed everybody else) was in assuming that the Japanese would come to the same conclusion that they themselves (and indeed everyone else) had, that a balanced design was necessary to give acceptable crew survivability against first-class opposition. In reality the Japanese decided to trade off armour/aerostructure and defensive weaponry against fuel capacity, giving a long ranged but very vulnerable aircraft. My view is that later war experience showed this to be a mistaken design trade-off, but it's one that fits in with Japanese doctrine of the time.

At this point Italian aviation was using multi-engine planes as torpedo bombers successfully as were the RAF and the Luftwaffe so this capability should not have been a surprise. It has been my understanding from reading multiple sources that he simply did not fear the possibility of losing his capital ships to air power.
His whole plan was meant to deliver his force outside what he believed to be the air threat envelope by daylight. It was meant to be a surprise night strike against the Japanese landing convoy. And he planned to hightail it as soon as it seemed like the element of surprise was lost. Which he did when spotted from the air. He managed to lose the shadowers in evening fog and overnight effectively disappeared from the Japanese eye. The Japanese strike actually very nearly never found him. They had been far to the south and were on their return flight, quite low on fuel. In fact, Phillips came very close to not being spotted at all, as the scout plane that found him was out of position and low on fuel itself.

Nah. He wasn't expecting aerial torpedoes.
Not an unreasonable assumption given the range. In fact, most of the attack was actually armed with bombs which were dropped at level and did very little damage.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Admiral Phillips was both personally brave and a competent Naval Commander, however he had IOTL a major problem. Not only was he commanding a totally inadequate force, lacking as it did an accompanying aircraft carrier , to provide much needed organic air support. It didn’t have the requisite numbers of anti air destroyers or an anti aircraft cruiser or two, let alone the cruisers and standard destroyers, that the two capital ships required. Add to this he was operating in the shadow of two other Admirals, William Whitworth, who had taken a battleship into a Norwegian fiord in Narvik, and A B C, Andrew Cunningham, who stood by the Army in Crete, no matter the odds. So while the sensible thing to do was stay in harbour in Singapore and wait until he had a clear idea of what was happening, and a firm plan arranged for the provision of air cover. He instead in the finest traditions of the Royal Navy sailed out towards the sound of guns metaphorically and did his very best to support the Army. In his own mind had no option, he had to put to sea, ITTL given that he will not be under as much pressure as he was IOTL, and with the RAF being under a far superior commander, there is the possibility of him being provided with limited air cover. And with a very competent Land commander in the person of Gort, there is a good possibility that he will be asked to remain in Singapore until the situation has become clear and the two of them can formulate a combined plan going forward. Phillips is not as free ITTL, as he was IOTL to make decisions and policy, he has to consult with at least three others, the Governor, Gort and Park.

RR.

My view is that later war experience showed this to be a mistaken design trade-off...
Not just your view, but an established fact. G4Ms (and their crews) suffered horrendous casualties in the face of massed defensive firepower. And of course the supreme irony is that the man responsible for conceiving the G4M concept (Admiral Yamamoto) lost his life riding in one.

He knew what the RN could do/had done for sure, but didn't think the Japanese were capable of equalling that, much less surpassing that. Also there is nothing to indicate he felt he was on a suicide mission. Certainly the air on board both his vessels was not one of fatalism.
From memory, Admiral Sir Henry Leach (1st Sea Lord during the Falklands Conflict who essentially told Maggie to man up and understand that the RN's ships were there to go to war) remembered his father (Captain John Leach, Prince of Wales) as melancholy about his chances of survival on their last meeting - Henry was a Midshipman and due to be posted to Prince of Wales until his father got command and his posting was changed to HMS Mauritius instead. They met for the last time two days before POW sailed to her fate.

And with a very competent Land commander in the person of Gort, there is a good possibility that he will be asked to remain in Singapore until the situation has become clear and the two of them can formulate a combined plan going forward.
Umm, Philips is at sea executing Operation PICADOR, by agreement with Gort. Gort BTW is not just "Land Commander", he's GOC Far East Command, which includes Malaya Command and RAF Far East.

Not just your view, but an established fact. G4Ms (and their crews) suffered horrendous casualties in the face of massed defensive firepower. And of course the supreme irony is that the man responsible for conceiving the G4M concept (Admiral Yamamoto) lost his life riding in one.
No other nation's aircraft ever had to fly into the sort of defensive firepower that the USN was able to put up in 1944-45, which is why I'm a little reluctant to treat this as a fact rather than opinion.
  • When HMS Illustrious was attacked by Fligerkorps X in January 1941 she was armed with 8x twin 4.5" DP guns and 6x Octuple Pom-Pom. For the time this was an extremely powerful AA armament.
  • When USS Franklin was attacked in March 1945 (a far weaker attack than that on Illustrious as it happens) she was armed with 12x single 5" DP guns (I assume with proximity fuses), 32x 40mm Bofors - fewer barrels but far more effective than the Pom-Pom, and 46x 20mm Oerlikon guns. Due to the nature of the ship, many other ships in the fleet were rather better armed.

No other nation's aircraft ever had to fly into the sort of defensive firepower that the USN was able to put up in 1944-45, which is why I'm a little reluctant to treat this as a fact rather than opinion.
  • When HMS Illustrious was attacked by Fligerkorps X in January 1941 she was armed with 8x twin 4.5" DP guns and 6x Octuple Pom-Pom. For the time this was an extremely powerful AA armament.
  • When USS Franklin was attacked in March 1945 (a far weaker attack than that on Illustrious as it happens) she was armed with 12x single 5" DP guns (I assume with proximity fuses), 32x 40mm Bofors - fewer barrels but far more effective than the Pom-Pom, and 46x 20mm Oerlikon guns. Due to the nature of the ship, many other ships in the fleet were rather better armed.
As an example the Asiatic Fleet; Cruisers; USS Houston 8 x 1 x5'/25 AA (TF=Timed Fuses) 2 x 1 x3"/50 AA(TF) 4 x 4 x 1.1"(28mm) MAAA(IF=Impact fuse) 8 x 1 x .50Cal AAMG, USS Boise 8 x 1 x 5"/25 AA(TF), 4 x 4 x 1.1"MAA(IF) 8 x 1 x .50 cal AAMG, USS Marblehead 6 x 1 x 3"/50 Cal AA(TF) 6 x 1 x .50cal AAMG. Destroyers, 1-2 x3'/23 cal MAA (TF) 4-8 x .50 cal AAMG .

Source? The G3M came into service in 1935 so it would be well known it could carry torpedoes.
No, they'd never seen them drop torpedoes. The first time they saw that was the during the sinking of the Repulse & Prince of Wales. Up till that moment they had no idea the G3M Nell crews had been trained for torpedo attacks. Clearly it came as a profound surprise. That was just one of the many surprises the Allies had waiting for them.

No, they'd never seen them drop torpedoes. The first time they saw that was the during the sinking of the Repulse & Prince of Wales. Up till that moment they had no idea the G3M Nell crews had been trained for torpedo attacks. Clearly it came as a profound surprise. That was just one of the many surprises the Allies had waiting for them.
Prior to 1941, the IJNAF had never conducted combat torpedo drops using their twin engined land based bombers. No Allied observers would have been present to witness the training drops. Came into service in 1935, sure. But there is absolutely zero evidence that Allied intel knew anything beyond 'this plane exists'. Indeed, more than one Allied pilot misidentified G3Ms and G4Ms as 'Japanese flown Heinkel 111s' or 'Me 110s' during the South East Asian campaigns and expressed amazement at their speed. This to me indicates Allied intel knew next to nothing.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
While Allied intelligence might have no firm intelligence that the G3M was torpedo capable, everyone else had been developing twin engined torpedo bombers from the mid thirties, and I believe they thought the Japanese had that capability, just that the range the aircraft had was far greater than expected.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Its still better than the one Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, had.

(You want to guess what sailors called Phillip, Prince of Greece and Denmark)
Hi edgeworthy, the one I know is Big Bubble, from the cockney rhyming slang of bubble and squeak. He was at the Battle of Cape Matapan, on the battleship HMS Valiant,

Last edited:

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Question, Des Div 57 was the unit sent OTL, they with their tender Black Hawk were at Balikpapan, Borneo, DesDiv 58 was with the Squadron CO in DD Paul Jones and the CL Marblehead at Tarakan, Borneo much further away.
Hi Butchpfd, whoops, my bad! Yes its 57 that's going.

Hi Butchpfd, whoops, my bad! Yes its 57 that's going.
Figured that.. also remember that there is 20, 000 pounds of US aerial ordinance in Singapore, which will fit just fine on any of the PBYs which at this time had a bomb load of
3,000 lbs,, for a reduction of 40% in max range. Cache would include bombs up to 500 lbs. 325 lb depth Charges, and possibly Mk XIII aerial torps. My money would be on mostly depth charges but possibly maybe a half dozen torps. But at this time PBY-5s could not carry 2 torps, usually 1 torp. and 1,000 lbs of bombs on the other wing

Hi edgeworthy, the one I know is Big Bubble, from the cockney rhyming slang of bubble and squeak. He was at the Battle of Cape Matapan, on the battleship HMS Valiant,
I know that the Royal Marines used ...
"Phil the Greek"
And they tended to be ardent Royalists. Young Princess Elizabeth was an extremely popular pin-up.
(Yes, there was a time when Elizabeth II was a sex symbol)