For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

Personally I would support a suspension of the ban on unequal taxation in order to rebuild the Midwest. If the West didn't pay in blood the least they can do is pay in dollars and cents.

Between the profile of Smedley Butler, leadership by the Progressives like La Follette and Olson, and very active International Brigade activity plus the sheer amount of suffering and warcrimes inflicted by the Natcorp forces, I'm guessing the Midwest is going to be a hotbet of left-wing radicalism and hostility towards fascism in the aftermath of the war with a heavy distrust of the military and federal government (adding in the resentments between Midwest and East as well as disgust with the West's cowardice).
This is about where I'm going. Radical leftism in the Midwest is meant to be a contrast to what Albany is doing. Obviously, Republicans will always have this deep distrust of corporate and military control of things. Simultaneously, they will resent federal control and industrial capitalism.
Now that I think of it, the aftermath of this Second Civil War in general, even if it's not a regional secession war, is probably creating/reinforcing stronger regional identities based on different experiences of it. The Northeast and Midwest have different relations with the Federal government in the 2ACW, and of course the West and South's lives are going to be even more different. I don't know if there would be a separate regional identity that forms as the tide turns against the Natcorps, but maybe.
Yup, lots of regional chauvinism. After all, like you said, there's many different experiences depending on what region one lives in. It's more multipolar than the first American Civil War, of course.

I do wonder how many of those Canadians are volunteers versus "volunteers", the Canadian Government will desperately want Chicago to stand as a buffer between them and the Natcorps, ditto with New England and the Midwest. Come to think of it, has Canada made any attempts to reach certain "arrangements" with the neutral West? Nothing overt of course, but material aid to shore them up in case things go bad to worse for the Republicans in the East, Canada will want its army focused on Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes and the West maintaining their neutrality in the face of Natcorps pressure would secure the Western Provinces, for a time at least

I do wonder how many of those Canadians are volunteers versus "volunteers", the Canadian Government will desperately want Chicago to stand as a buffer between them and the Natcorps, ditto with New England and the Midwest.
We've planned out the Dominion's role in the conflict, and as you might imagine, it'll be particularly important in keeping the Republic solvent against the Natcorps. Canada's other calculus is that the more invested it becomes in keeping the Republic floating, the more it really needs the Republic to win so as not to put the Natcorps within range of Ottawa, hence requiring more investment.
Come to think of it, has Canada made any attempts to reach certain "arrangements" with the neutral West? Nothing overt of course, but material aid to shore them up in case things go bad to worse for the Republicans in the East, Canada will want its army focused on Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes and the West maintaining their neutrality in the face of Natcorps pressure would secure the Western Provinces, for a time at least
I hadn't given this a lot of thought to tell the truth, but no I hadn't imagined that Canada would have deals beyond, say, taking advantage of the trade situation. There certainly would be presumptions of non aggression, though.

Great update! I, again, have to congratulate you on the level of detail, something I appreciate immensely. The devastation is of course appalling. I hope those fascists get what's coming to them soon.

A common doctrine adopted by the Natcorp commanders in the Second American Civil War was to err on the side of aggression and assume that, as Ulysses S. Grant once said, that “the enemy had been as much afraid of me as I had been of him.”
Ugh, it actually makes me angry to see fascists comparing themselves with Grant. Grant once declared: “If we are to have another [civil war], I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition, and ignorance on the other.” Here we can see that "superstition, ambition, and ignorance" are (almost) all on the Natcorp side.

Great update! I, again, have to congratulate you on the level of detail, something I appreciate immensely. The devastation is of course appalling. I hope those fascists get what's coming to them soon.
Thanks! That means a lot, I tried hard to make these chapters feel like they're lived in.
Ugh, it actually makes me angry to see fascists comparing themselves with Grant. Grant once declared: “If we are to have another [civil war], I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition, and ignorance on the other.” Here we can see that "superstition, ambition, and ignorance" are (almost) all on the Natcorp side.
Steals the quote
In all seriousness thanks for sharing, I had no idea Grant (one of my personal favorite leaders in U.S. history, up there with Lincoln himself) had said that and I think that captures the story that we're trying to tell very well.

Admittedly am surprised that Eisenhower is staying with Mac out of a sense of personal loyalty. Thought the two generally loathed one another.

Deleted member 191087

Woo boy, just finally caught up with this timeline after being occupied with the Holiday season. Great work as always Angry! Anyhoo, if you don’t mind, I’d like to ask a few questions now:

1: How’s the international relations of Long’s South like? I’m interested in how, for example, Mexico and Central America is reacting to him.

2: How are Black, Native, Jewish and Catholic Americans doing under the NatCorp controlled areas particularly. Obviously Catholics are going to be treated like shit and persecuted considering one of the main reasons for the coup was strong anti-Catholicism and Jewish Americans could come close to with the more anti-Semitic NatCorp figures (I.e Ford mostly) probably pressuring Mac into looking into the “Judeo-Bolshevik” threat. As for blacks and natives, I’d could be either more or the same of how it was before (so still shitty) or perhaps even worse, seeing as these are fascists after all.

3: Speaking of which, how are Natives also doing under Republican control? With how integrated the armed forces are, I’d see a lot of them getting higher positions than would’ve had before and maybe hopefully that could set the seed for better things to come for them since this war did help change for example Patton’s previous views, although that’s just me being really hopeful and optimistic.

4: Now that a big portion of the country is in engulfed in war and more specifically, now that Hoover is busy hunting suspected leftists everywhere he thinks they may be, I wonder this chaos will lead to an even bigger wave of gangsters running a much with all the chaos going around in the war torn areas. Like maybe even some very small gangster fiefdoms here and there like Philadelphia, who knows. It’s also interesting how the mob is handling all of this stuff, outside from obviously Luciano and Lansky which you implied might make a cameo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo boy, just finally caught up with this timeline after being occupied with the Holiday season. Great work as always Angry! Anyhoo, if you don’t mind, I’d like to ask a few questions now:

1: How’s the international relations of Long’s South like? I’m interested in how, for example, Mexico and Central America is reacting to him.

2: How are Black, Native, Jewish and Catholic Americans doing under the NatCorp controlled areas particularly. Obviously Catholics are going to be treated like shit and persecuted considering one of the main reasons for the coup was strong anti-Catholicism and Jewish Americans could come close to with the more anti-Semitic NatCorp figures (I.e Ford mostly) probably pressuring Mac into looking into the “Judeo-Bolshevik” threat. As for blacks and natives, I’d could be either more or the same of how it was before (so still shitty) or perhaps even worse, seeing as these are fascists after all.

3: Speaking of which, how are Natives also doing under Republican control? With how integrated the armed forces are, I’d see a lot of them getting higher positions than would’ve had before and maybe hopefully that could set the seed for better things to come for them since this war did help change for example Patton’s previous views, although that’s just me being really hopeful and optimistic.

4: Now that a big portion of the country is in engulfed in war and more specifically, now that Hoover is busy hunting suspected leftists everywhere he thinks they may be, I wonder this chaos will lead to an even bigger wave of gangsters running a much with all the chaos going around in the war torn areas. Like maybe even some very small gangster fiefdoms here and there like Philadelphia, who knows. It’s also interesting how the mob is handling all of this stuff, outside from obviously Luciano and Lansky which you implied might make a cameo.
Hello! Angry’s partner and the other half of the Pattonverse here!

So, Mexico is caught in a bind here, because it’s formally still recognizing Smith as the rightful president, but it shares a border with two quasi-independent American states, the neutral West and Long’s South. Texas has continued the Mexican Repatriation at a fierce pace amidst Huey giving the state governments much more leeway than they’ve enjoyed in almost a century, and given Huey’s expeditions in the Caribbean, they are not particularly fond of him. By and large, the South is simply the elephant in the room that everyone is doing their best to ignore.

By the point in time we’re at, the Second Great Migration has not happened, and the war will seriously alter internal migration patterns for years to come. Much of the NatCorp military districts have formalized the de facto segregation that existed throughout the interwar North, and as military control is most harsh in the cities, where most Black Northerners were at this time, they’re having a rough go of it. The same for Jews and Catholics, as Henry Ford has Hoover’s ear and is whispering antisemitism into it. Religious expression in general has been harshly curbed by the regime, as the distrust for the clergy is something that the NatCorps have picked up from their German allies.

As for Natives, they are very few and far between in the conflict zones, predominantly living in the neutral Western states. That said, they are present in small numbers in the Republican army. The Onondaga, in particular, have earned recognition, as their reservation was under direct attack in the Battle of Syracuse, and they fought valiantly as part of Patton’s defense of the city.

Lastly, we haven’t decided if it’ll merit its own entry or not, but organized crime will have quite a role to play in this conflict. I can’t give anything away, but look forward to some very interesting dynamics!

Deleted member 191087

Hello! Angry’s partner and the other half of the Pattonverse here!

So, Mexico is caught in a bind here, because it’s formally still recognizing Smith as the rightful president, but it shares a border with two quasi-independent American states, the neutral West and Long’s South. Texas has continued the Mexican Repatriation at a fierce pace amidst Huey giving the state governments much more leeway than they’ve enjoyed in almost a century, and given Huey’s expeditions in the Caribbean, they are not particularly fond of him. By and large, the South is simply the elephant in the room that everyone is doing their best to ignore.

By the point in time we’re at, the Second Great Migration has not happened, and the war will seriously alter internal migration patterns for years to come. Much of the NatCorp military districts have formalized the de facto segregation that existed throughout the interwar North, and as military control is most harsh in the cities, where most Black Northerners were at this time, they’re having a rough go of it. The same for Jews and Catholics, as Henry Ford has Hoover’s ear and is whispering antisemitism into it. Religious expression in general has been harshly curbed by the regime, as the distrust for the clergy is something that the NatCorps have picked up from their German allies.

As for Natives, they are very few and far between in the conflict zones, predominantly living in the neutral Western states. That said, they are present in small numbers in the Republican army. The Onondaga, in particular, have earned recognition, as their reservation was under direct attack in the Battle of Syracuse, and they fought valiantly as part of Patton’s defense of the city.

Lastly, we haven’t decided if it’ll merit its own entry or not, but organized crime will have quite a role to play in this conflict. I can’t give anything away, but look forward to some very interesting dynamics!
Thanks for the answers! Looking forward to what you guys have in store for us. Don’t have to stress, we’ll be waiting.

Deleted member 191087

Alright, so not to be a bother but I have two questions for you @GaysInSpace, if you wouldn’t mind:

1: How are the other would-be presidents in this timeline doing, such as Truman, JFK and Gerald Ford doing, alongside some other important politicians such as Hubert Humphrey, Nelson Rockefeller, Robert Taft and Eugene McCarthy?

2: With the fact that chapter 4 opened up with an in-universe quote from Prescott Bush and it was regarding Mac, I take it that he’s a NatCorpist too then? If so, I hope that this doesn’t mean that he’s grooming young George H.W. Bush into becoming a fervent NatCorpist and even if that’s not what’s happening, I can’t imagine it’ll be any nice to for poor George to be reminded that he’s a “son of traitor”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so not to be a bother but I have two questions for you @GaysInSpace, if you wouldn’t mind:

1: How are the other would-be presidents in this timeline doing, such as Truman, JFK and Gerald Ford doing, alongside some other important politicians such as Hubert Humphrey, Nelson Rockefeller, Robert Taft and Eugene McCarthy?

2: With the fact that chapter 4 opened up with an in-universe quote from Prescott Bush and it was regarding Mac, I take it that he’s a NatCorp too then? If so, I hope that this doesn’t mean that he’s grooming young George H.W. Bush into becoming a fervent NatCorpist and even if not that won’t happen, I can’t imagine it’ll be any nice to for poor George to be reminded that he’s a “son of traitor”.
Happy to answer!

So, Truman is dead, he has been killed in the NatCorp purges, that was in The Blind Leading the Blind. JFK is a kid at this point in time, but we have plans for him! Gerald Ford is still in Nebraska, safely neutral, but again, plans.

As for good old Rocky, he is currently serving on the board of Chase Bank, one of the few intact major corporations, as the whole of the Rockefeller family has thrown their lot in with the Republicans, though this isn’t without skepticism on both sides.

Humphrey is working in his dad’s drugstore in South Dakota, and McCarthy is graduating from college in 1935 in Minnesota, and with his strong pacifist principles, he will refrain from joining the war effort, instead continuing on to get his master’s in economics.

Yes, Prescott Bush has gone to the dark side, and quite high up in the ranks, as well. I can’t give away much more, but the Bush dynasty will never come to pass.