Africa: 1900 - 1925
An Explosion in Cape Town
Blue Water - Pink Land
1280px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

-
Daily Mail
8th January 1900
Boers blow Cape Town, kill Rhodes and 17 others

The residents of Cape Town, Cape Colony, were disrupted in their activities by a loud bang and a blast of wind as an explosion rippled the city at around 11:30 yesterday, the bomb was coming from the Bank of South Africa's headquarters, where the Boer terrorist, Andries Marais, was waiting for Cecil Rhodes to exit the building with his entourage before pulling the trigger of the bomb, placed a yard or two from the magnate. The explosion was large, likely the largest explosion to ever rock the continent of Africa as the bank building was turned to rubble alongside many buildings which lie exposed to the blast. Prime Minister, Lord Salisbury condemned the Boers who planted the bomb and promised 10,000 British troops to go to South Africa and destroy the Boer. Rhodes' body has not been recovered although it is believed eighteen have perished in the explosion alongside some fifty wounded.

-
"We will not lie down and accept the statement that the Boers should own this land which our pioneers blessed, that treaty made true and which God has given to us, the British. The Boer must be driven out of South Africa, how many lives will Britannia sacrifice as the tribute to the savage, how many statesmen will be slain by the Boer bomb? I plead to you here, and to the millions in United Kingdom and the millions more in the realms, punish the Boers as you see fit, South Africa may perish!" - Joseph Chamberlain, speech to the House of Commons, 10th January 1900

-
"Steh zu deinen Brüdern, steh zu den Buren" (Stand by your brothers, stand by the Boers)- Pro-Boer demonstrators in Berlin, January 1900

-
"Ek glo dat daar geen ander manier is om die stryd van ons mense na Engeland te bring as om bomwerpers na Engeland te stuur nie" (I believe that there is no other way to bring the struggle of our people to England than send bombers into England) - Louis Botha, 1900

-
"I no longer have confidence in the Prime Minister's government, I can not bear as a man representing the fine people of Birmingham and a man of English stock to see my Right Honourable friend who I have befriended and stood with for so long stumble as Britons abroad die at the hands of the Afrikaner vespers, I will be forced to end the coalition government and take the Liberal Unionist party on a divergent course and I hope many of my Right Honourable friends in the Conservative rows see this, farewell." - Joseph Chamberlain, speech to the House of Commons, 1st February 1900

Last edited: