DOWN THESE MEAN STREETS: Accounts of alternate crime, mystery & thriller adaptations.🕵️‍♂️

A little program slide (or telop as I believe they're called in the US) for an early 60s show starring Sebastian Cabot and Bill Bixby.

View attachment 681213
Great casting. Although I'm not sure if Archie is the type to wear sweaters.
I'd have loved to have seen Orson Welles or Robert Morley in an adaptation.
Greenstreet and Bogart would have been the perfect pairing for me. If ever they do a new adaptation, they need to get Ryan Reynolds to be Archie.

Incidentally, this might be of interest to you if you've not seen it.

Do you have a link to this thread? It sounds interesting.
There was a older version of it back in 2012.
I try to get you a link.
But I had to stop working on it due to issues in real life.

Most of my references are for the new version that I am working on .
But I have not gotten around to posting it yet.

Great casting. Although I'm not sure if Archie is the type to wear sweaters.

I was acutely aware of the sweater thing, but the pose was just right and frankly, having sat through Lionel Stander's take on the role, a sweater is a minor consideration.

I bought a DVD collection of pilots just to get that Wolfe show. I since found out there's a blu-ray and I'm considering it.

In my mind, the ideal Archie would have been James Garner.

Which Actor would be the best choice to play John D McDonald's Travis Mcgee ?
What Actress would be a good Modesty Blaise ?
How about casting for the role of Max Allen Collin's Nate Heller?

Recently, while daydreaming on the bus, I imagined a US Modesty Blaise pilot from c.1973.
Martine Beswicke as Modesty
Don Knight as Wilie
John Williamsas Sir Gerald Tarrant

Which Actor would be the best choice to play John D McDonald's Travis Mcgee ?
What Actress would be a good Modesty Blaise ?
If he was blonder, I'd like Tom Selleck for McGee. Or give David James Elliott a dye job.

For Modesty, Cathy Lee Crosby comes to mind (based on her in the 1974 film).

Go back a bit further, if you can prevent her OD, what about Marilyn as Modesty?

If he was blonder, I'd like Tom Selleck for McGee. Or give David James Elliott a dye job.

For Modesty, Cathy Lee Crosby comes to mind (based on her in the 1974 film).

Go back a bit further, if you can prevent her OD, what about Marilyn as Modesty?
Some good suggestion for McGee.

I had not thought about Cathy Lee Crosby.
I have to consider her.

Marilyn would be great but the first book was in1966.
So she be a bit old for the role.

Marilyn would be great but the first book was in1966.
So she be a bit old for the role.
Yeah, that was my worry, too. She was my first notion, with the right look, but the timing's wrong.

For around 1967-8, what about Dagmar? (IDK if she can actually act...) Pippa Steele? (Ditto.) IDK if she'd make a good blonde (nor am I convinced of her acting ability), but Raquel Welch comes to mind, too. And Tuesday Weld keeps popping up, though I'd say she's too cute to sell the toughness you'd expect; also maybe too young to be credible.

Yeah, that was my worry, too. She was my first notion, with the right look, but the timing's wrong.

For around 1967-8, what about Dagmar? (IDK if she can actually act...) Pippa Steele? (Ditto.) IDK if she'd make a good blonde (nor am I convinced of her acting ability), but Raquel Welch comes to mind, too. And Tuesday Weld keeps popping up, though I'd say she's too cute to sell the toughness you'd expect; also maybe too young to be credible.
In the comics which came first , Modesty has black hair.
d35i8j3-33f1533b-78ca-481f-9a23-74c62f1fcccc.jpg

But for some reason most the actresses I thought of were redheads
I have considered Gia Golan, Luciana Paluzzi , Sharon Farrell , and Senta Berger for films in the 60's and early 70's.
Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Khan as Modesty in a series of Late 80's Hong Kong Action films

Last edited:
In the comics which came first , Modesty has black hair.
d35i8j3-33f1533b-78ca-481f-9a23-74c62f1fcccc.jpg
Somehow, I thought she was blonde. Maybe that's because of the OTL movie.
I have considered Gia Golan, Luciana Paluzzi , Sharon Farrell , and Senta Berger for films in the 60's and early 70's.
Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Khan as Modesty in a series of Late 80's Hong Kong Action films
Except Michelle Yeoh, I don't get a picture of any of them (let alone know if they've got the talent), so I couldn't comment... :oops:

Somehow, I thought she was blonde. Maybe that's because of the OTL movie.
They hire a blond for Modesty for the movie in the OTL,
Not sure why .
The actress just has not impressed me in the role.
It seem like Modesty was being played for Comedy ,
xcept Michelle Yeoh, I don't get a picture of any of them (let alone know if they've got the talent), so I couldn't comment... :oops:
You would recognize the 60;s actress if you seen them,
Gia Golan, was the Female Lead in the film My Man Flint.
Luciana Paluzzi was the villainess in the James Bond Movie Thuderball,
Senta Berger did the female lead in the Quliller Memorandum as well as the Matt Helm Film "The Ambushers and appeared in one of the Man From Uncle Movies .
Sharon Farrell is the most obscure of the Actresses and the one that you can be excused for not knowing ,
She never played a major film role but I seen her in a couple of Man From Uncle Episodes as the female villain, She was a better actress then she ever got credit for and would be a very strong characters based on her performance on the show. She was latter a regular on the 70;s TV shows .

The Cash Carter Mysteries (1999-2001)
f3802108413e03366d5e7f7fda2cd6c2--gene-wilder-funny-comedians.jpg

The Cash Carter Mysteries
(1999-2001)
(2 Seasons, 18 episodes, 2 TV movies)
Aired on the A&E network
Created by Gilbert Pearlman and Gene Wilder
Produced by Craig McNeil, Steven Paul and Antony Root
Music by John Morris

CAST:

• Larry "Cash" Carter (Gene Wilder)
  • Det. Tony Rossini (Mike Starr)
  • Mimi Barnes (Cherry Jones)
A short lived A&E period mystery series, co-created by Gene Wilder. Set in 1930s Connecticut, the series focuses on Cash Carter, a veteran theatre director turned amateur sleuth.

Last edited: