The Biden Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions so far:
How's the economy?
How do people feel about Biden's withdrawal? A sound decision from a sound man or a sign that the office is in shaky hands?
Is the more liberal Supreme Court fueling the rise of the conservative movement or putting a damper on it?
Where's the environmental movement compared to OTL?
How is the African American community doing compared to OTL? Thinking specifically of whether anything to ramp up tensions like the Rodney King Riots, and also how the Dellums situation is playing in the culture.
Did the Biden presidency do anything to speed up the defection of the Solid South from the Democratic Party?
Any changes in enviromental policy?
Any changes in immigration policy?
How are sports potentially different?
Pop-culture changes? - Anything specific?

The Observer - a final list of your request would come a bit later, after the '92 election.

Questions so far:
How's the economy?
How do people feel about Biden's withdrawal? A sound decision from a sound man or a sign that the office is in shaky hands?
Is the more liberal Supreme Court fueling the rise of the conservative movement or putting a damper on it?
Where's the environmental movement compared to OTL?
How is the African American community doing compared to OTL? Thinking specifically of whether anything to ramp up tensions like the Rodney King Riots, and also how the Dellums situation is playing in the culture.
Did the Biden presidency do anything to speed up the defection of the Solid South from the Democratic Party?
Any changes in enviromental policy?
Any changes in immigration policy?
How are sports potentially different?
Pop-culture changes? - Anything specific?

The Observer - a final list of your request would come a bit later, after the '92 election.

Indeed, although cabinet members might be possible now. No problem with a legislation list coming bit later.

I knew somehow it wouldn't be Richards, but I imagine Bentsen will be seen as an underwhelming choice, barring an OTL mirror of the Jack Kennedy debate bit.

I imagine Bentsen will be seen as an underwhelming choice, barring an OTL mirror of the Jack Kennedy debate bit.

I hadn't considered this, but that's quite right. Bentsen was considered dull and forgettable until his debate with Quayle, and without a good zinger he's likely to remain that way in public consciousness.

And of course, Quayle himself has avoided the embarrassment the debates brought and he remains a rising star in the Republican Party.

I find this rather interesting; without their Veep debate, the perceptions— and political futures— of the two men has changed dramatically. It's a rather good example of how pervasive the butterfly effect can be. Good job, Whanztastic.

Time Heals No Wounds

---

Richards Awards Medal of Freedom to Biden, Oprah

“President Cecile Richards presented the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, to former President Joe Biden and 15 others on Wednesday, the award’s 50th anniversary and the Biden’s 71st birthday.”

“While in Washington, D.C., the former President Biden began the day by bringing muffins to furloughed workers at the Department of Environmental Protection at the Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Federal Building, which was renamed after Biden earlier this year.”

a_250x375.jpg

“’These are the men and women who in their extraordinary lives remind us of the beauty of the human spirit,’ Richards said at the White House.”

“Biden received the award for his public service in office, and afterward as the founder of the Biden Initiative.”

“He remembered what his parents had to do on behalf of him and he wanted to make sure he made life better and easier for so many people across the country,” Richards said of Biden.

---

“Casey spurns Dem Party Line”

“Controversy still swarms about the Democratic National Convention. Conflicting statements have been made by the DNC, the Cuomo Presidential campaign and Pennsylvania Governor Bob Casey about Casey’s role next month at the Party’s convention at Madison Square Garden.”

2027169393.JPG

“Casey, who is a vocal pro-life supporter, has been brought into direct conflict with the rest of his party after the Supreme Court ruled against abortion restrictions he has enacted as Governor. Key in the votes against the Governor were Biden Administration appointments.”

“When asked about if he supports the Democratic presidential ticket and endorses pro-choice Governor Mario Cuomo, Casey stated, ‘I align with 99.9 percent of my party’s platform. I do oppose abortion with all my heart, but I support the ticket, unequivocally.’”

“Despite the comments made by Casey, Republican candidate, and former Governor of Pennsylvania himself, Richard Thornburgh, has openly commented on the pro-life/pro-choice riff forming this election cycle. Current national polling shows the Republican ticket marginally ahead of nationally.”

Okay, Biden and Cecile Richards. There are either 2 or 3 presidents in between them. Preferably 2 for me.

Well I'm thinking that Cuomo loses, Biden wins in 1996, His VP in 2000, then a Republican for 8 years, and then Cecile Richards.

So I think, there will be 3 new presidents in between

I forget who Biden's appointed to the court. Great update with bits of the past and what happened today.

Dale L. Bumpers (William J. Brennan, Jr. retired 1989)
Amalya Lyle Kearse (Thurgood Marshall retired 1990)
José A. Cabranes (Byron White retired 1990)
Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Harry Blackmun retired 1991)

Jimmy Carter (1977 - 1981)
Ronald Reagan (1981 - 1989)
Joe Biden (1989 - 1993) [first term]
Richard Thornburgh (1993 - 1997)
Joe Biden (1997 - 2001) [second term]

My guesses for now.

Cabinet List real quick? So the new theory is that Biden pulls a Cleveland. Interesting. But still rooting for Cuomo/Bentsen 1992, with two terms in The White House. Please make that happen Whanztastic.

And no Clarence Thomas in sight. Just another thing to commend this TL.

You know, my best friend works in that building and got super-pissed that she didn't get a muffin. In fact, she didn't know anyone who did get one. We theorized that those are just the muffins Biden carries around every day for his own personal consumption.

Hmm, curious what's going on with Casey. It's mostly OTL, except of course the Biden appointees overturning PA's abortion restrictions. I can only guess that we're about to see a move that will sink Cuomo's chances for good and turn the Democratic base against the Third Way moderates.

How's the Third Way philosophy doing ITTL, by the way? We've seen its two greatest proponents (Bill Clinton and Tony Blair) derailed at this point. Two greatest proponents in the English-speaking world, anyway.

Time for Reflection

---

“Prezgeek.com ‘92 Q&A”

Hey all, I’ve been getting a few questions about the ’92 election lately, given the name Biden is again being mentioned in Presidential politics, and I thought I’d take a break from my typical format to answer some of these questions directly. So, here we go.

How was the economy?

The economy during the ’92 election was fair, but not great. Economic growth had been stagnant since Reagan left office, and unemployment was six and a half percent in late 1991. The number slowly began to fall but wouldn’t go beneath six percent during the campaign. Fun fact – when Ronald Reagan asked the American people if they were “better off than they were four years ago”, on the average they had been – even though the year of ’79 to ’80 saw job losses, unemployment was lower than it was in 1976. The same could not be said of 1992, with unemployment a percent higher than four years prior.

The message of the Cuomo campaign had to be “better than we would be”, meaning that the Biden Administration had saved the country from a bigger recession, a tough sale.

How did people feel about Biden's withdrawal? A sound decision from a sound man or a sign that the office is in shaky hands?

The decision of President Biden to not run for reelection in 1992 was met with mixed reactions. He was a generally well liked figure, who had just led the country through the Yugoslav War very successfully. But, with his decision not to run frustrated many people. The American public seemed to not understand just how serious Biden’s aneurysm was and could have been. It is difficult to engage in counterfactuals, but Biden has said in recent years that he thought having to campaign and run the country at the same time could have killed him.

So while the general mood was disappointment or frustration, there was of course the partisan reaction from Republican groups who were either gleeful the rather popular sitting President was not running again. Beyond that, there were vitriolic voices who criticized the President for “abandoning his post”, one notable example being California Congressman and later Presidential candidate Bob Dornan.

Did the Supreme Court decisions have any impact on the election?

The four Biden appointments between 1988 and 1992 served as a wake-up call for some on the right, who had “sat out” the 1988 campaign, not supporting the “moderate” ticket of George HW Bush and Lynn Martin. While in some circles Ron Paul, how had been the Libertarian Party candidate in 1988, was being cursed as a spoiler, the Biden Supreme Court appointments made many realize that every election matters, and that just one term can have effects lasting decades.

But according to exit polls, the Supreme Court was rarely on the minds of the actual voters. Far and away the primary reasoning provided by voters for making their choice was “the economy”. For most people, the choice of Justices is usually an idea far removed from the idea of picking a President, it seems. But the “liberal” Biden appointments did lead some on the right wing to think that maybe compromise on a candidate was okay, or at least better than loosing it all.

What ecological considerations had an impact with the voters in 1992?

Following the Exxon Valdez spill, the images of which galvanized the public with an environmental spirit again after a seeming lull during the Reagan years, the Biden Administration accomplished a great deal, the most visible example being the promotion of the Environmental Protection Agency into a Cabinet post as the Department of Environmental Protection. In fact, they may have accomplished a bit too much. By 1992, the American people were placated by the actions taken and the environmental groups had seemingly spent all their political capital.

Where did the African-American community stand in 1992?

As had been the tradition since FDR, the African-American community was far and away supportive of the Democrats in 1992. President Biden had been called ‘the first black President’, due to his extensive outreach efforts and other reasons. William Gray, former Speaker of the House, had been brought into the White House as the first Chairman of the Cabinet. Despite the achievement, under the surface, tensions were rising, as would be seen in the 1993 riots. Urban decay and manufacturing job loss was hurting the African-American community particularly bad. And although the Biden Administration had made some reforms, the War on Drugs still an oversized impact on African-Americans. But in 1992, those frustrations were still just a simmer. 1992 would be of note for the election of two African-American Republicans to the U.S. House, both also former football stars – J.C. Watts from Oklahoma and O.J. Simpson from California.

Did the Biden presidency do anything to speed up the defection of the “Solid South” from the Democratic Party?

People like to talk about how the Democrats lost the white, southern vote in the early ‘90s, I disagree with that narrative. They lost it in 1980 with Reagan, and once Reagan was gone, the Democrats did not do much to win it back. While the Democrats continued to support unions, with the gradual but unstoppable decline of American manufacturing jobs, due to outsourcing and greater automation, the party had less appeal to the general public. The nomination of Cuomo over several DLC and southern candidates did nothing to convince “Middle America” that the Democratic Party cared for them, despite Lloyd Bentsen as running mate.

What role did immigration policy play?

In hindsight, the general lack of focus of Democrats on immigration hurt Democrats, but by 1992 immigration was not a major national focus, but rather limited to the border states where illegal immigration had a noticeable impact.

I hope that answers some of the queries you may have had. Feel free to reach out to prezgeek.com with any further questions!

Ahh, thanks for that! All adds up to lackluster news for Cuomo, but he certainly can't be counted out. The campaign could still shift either way if anyone sounds a sour note. On the fundamentals, you have to give it to Thornburgh, but I doubt anyone's really excited about him. He seems like a classic case of okay favorables, low unfavorables. Whereas Cuomo's probably seeing both high favorables and high unfavorables.

The Juice in the House, that's a bit :eek:
There are a few clues in this post that the GOP is a bit more pragmatical than OTL, and I hope that's the case. I kind of hope OJ's not just a setup for a scandal, but I'd understand if that's what you have in mind. It'd be great to see the GOP maintain a higher degree of moderation and tolerance than IOTL. Maintaining a moderate African American caucus would go a long way to help keep them sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.