Dear Pesky Partners... - A Nintendo-Philips Timeline

Chapter 13: Sonic’s Sequel Situation (Mid 1991 Part 2)
(Ayyyy, we made it past 100 posts! A shorter chapter here, as it's mainly just trying to set up a butterfly for later.)
Sonic’s Sequel Situation (Mid 1991 Part 2)

(Note: The only major difference with Sonic 1 in this timeline is that the “Press Start Button” bug was fixed, and it actually appears on the game’s title screen. Otherwise, it is identical to the OTL game.)

The launch of Sonic the Hedgehog in the West was nothing short of a success. Not only was the game reviewing well, but selling incredibly well, too. Indeed, by the end of the year, Sonic had sold over two million copies worldwide. Sega had finally found their mascot to rival Nintendo’s Mario. So it was only natural that they’d want to make a sequel as soon as possible.

But that would be much harder than Sega had anticipated. Shortly after Sonic 1’s release, the development group, Sonic Team, was at risk of disbanding. Yuji Naka, the lead programmer and sometimes considered the “creator” of Sonic, had become increasingly dissatisfied with Sega. He felt that management didn’t support Sonic Team nearly enough, resulting in the game taking a longer time and more effort than necessary to finish. Naka also believed his paycheck wasn’t nearly high enough for the work he had poured into the game. All of this made him want to quit his job with Sega and go somewhere else for work.

So when Ken Kutaragi first heard of Yuji Naka’s struggle, he met with him privately and gave Naka an offer: come and join Sony. They were, after all, in need of creative game developers, since Sony Computer Entertainment was fairly small at the time. At the time, they were mainly working on a Columbo point-and-click game for the Mega CD as a launch title, and a Japanese advertising campaign featuring Columbo as the system’s spokesperson. But if Sony wanted to be truly successful with video games, they needed original ideas. Kutaragi assured him that Sony would give Naka whatever resources he needed to make games, as well as a higher salary, and Naka was instantly sold.

Upon announcing his intentions to quit Sega and work for Sony to Sega’s higher-ups, Sega of Japan actually backed down and decided to meet Naka’s demands themselves. Of course, this was all out of Sega of Japan’s usual pettiness. If Yuji Naka left Sega for Sony, then there was a good chance other Sega developers would follow his example, potentially draining Sega of their workers. Sega didn’t want Sony to have too much control over them, and begrudgingly agreed to support their own developers more.

Yuji Naka continued working for Sega of Japan, and Sonic Team was kept alive. Finally, work on Sonic 2 could truly begin. Initially conceived as yet another cartridge game, Sega wanted a Sonic title that could demonstrate the advanced capabilities of the Sega CD. Yuji Naka realized that the add-on would allow for the team’s more ambitious ideas to be fully realized, and so development shifted to the CD. In particular, Sonic Team wanted time travel to be a major element of Sonic 2, and the higher storage capacity of CD’s would allow them to add more zones. Naoto Oshima, the main artist of Sonic 1 and the person who designed Sonic himself, began making a port of Sonic 1 to the add-on, which served as a base for the sequel. The timing was perfect, too; Sega realized that Sonic 2 could be the Western pack-in title for the Sega CD upon its Holiday 1992 release. And that would guarantee a successful start to the add-on, seeing how successful Sonic 1 was.

As for Ken Kutaragi, he didn’t mind that Yuji Naka wasn’t going to work for Sony. In fact, he was more than happy for him, as Sega would actually start treating their employees with more dignity. When Kutaragi first began working with Sega of Japan in 1989, he was shocked by how much disunity there was at the company. And he felt a lot of it was due to the management acting more on emotions rather than on logic. Kutaragi blamed Sega of Japan’s management for why the Mega Drive was in a distant third place behind the PC Engine and Super Famicom in Japan. Instead of trying to iron out their own issues, Sega of Japan wanted to begin sabotaging their America division as well as their allies. Sony had to do some real heavy lifting if they wanted to make the Mega Drive and Mega CD a success in Japan, and Kutaragi hoped to slowly influence SoJ’s company culture to make their job easier. It seemed to be working, though, and hopefully Sega and Sony's relationship could last.

Next time, we'll be playing with super power as the SNES launches in North America. See you there for the finale of Act I!

Chapter 14: Now You’re Playing With Power: Super Power! (Late 1991 Part 1)
Now You’re Playing With Power: Super Power! (Late 1991 Part 1)

A TV advertisement for the SNES and Super Mario World.[1]​

“Mr. T-Spin: when it comes to classic tetris i MUCH prefer playing snes tetris, that way i dont get carpal tunnel from rolling all the time lol
JesterJohnny: Oh please, I know you’re envious of our better piece randomizer.
Mr. T-Spin: not as big of a deal when i can properly react to pieces falling at max speed thanks to the bumper technique
Soupigi33: Days without NES vs SNES Tetris debates: 0”
- From the harddrop.com forums, circa 2013. The “Bumper Technique” exploits a bug in SNES Tetris where pressing right and the R bumper or left and the L bumper at the same time moves the falling piece twice as fast, which is incredibly useful once you reach max speed.

While limited quantities of the system had gone out to certain regions on August 23rd, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System truly launched on September 1st, 1991[2] in North America. Bundled with a copy of Super Mario World and two controllers, the console retailed for $199. Compared to our timeline, the SNES launches to a bit more success, in part due to Nintendo and Philips hyping it up more prior to the system’s launch. However, the NES was still going very strong at the time, and Super Nintendo sales wouldn’t really pick up until the holiday season. The two companies largely shrugged off the console’s lackluster initial launch once December 1991 rolled around.

The SNES launched with 7 games: Super Mario World, F-Zero, Super Pinball, Pilotwings, SimCity, Gradius III, and Tetris. As the first three were already covered in a previous update, we’ll skip over them. I also won’t mention SimCity, as it’s practically identical to the OTL game.

All About Pilotwings
Platform: SNES
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Released: December 21st, 1990 (JP); August 23rd, 1991 (NA); April 11th, 1992 (EU)

Pilotwings is a flight simulator game for the SNES that makes extensive use of the system’s Mode 7 capabilities. Not much is different about the game compared to our timeline; however, there’s one additional mission late in the game that has you fly the attack helicopter through two rings and then land it on a frozen runway. The performance is smoothed out as well, but otherwise, it’s the same Pilotwings that we all know and love.

All About Gradius III
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami
Released: December 21st, 1990 (JP); August 23rd, 1991 (NA); April 11th, 1992 (EU)

Gradius III is a port of the arcade shoot ‘em up to the SNES. Thanks to the Super Nintendo using a faster 10 MHz processor here, Gradius III doesn’t suffer nearly as badly from the immense slowdown that it does in OTL.[3] Slowdown does still occur, but only on rare occasions. For that reason, Gradius III reviews a lot better and is considered a more faithful port than it was in our timeline.

All About Tetris
Developer: Philips P.O.V. Entertainment Group
Publisher: Philips Interactive Media

Tetris is a port of the iconic block puzzler to the Super Nintendo. Unlike other versions of Tetris released on Nintendo consoles, which were developed by Bullet-Proof Software, SNES Tetris was made by Philips P.O.V. Entertainment Group. The single biggest improvement over OTL’s CD-i Tetris is that there are two rotation buttons instead of only one. The game’s theming is very Russian, similar to a lot of other ports at the time and different from CD-i Tetris using digitized photographs of landscapes and its more relaxed atmosphere. SNES Tetris features your standard endless A-type mode and B-type mode, where you have to clear a certain number of lines to move on to the next level. There’s also a 2-player competitive mode that you can play against a human or computer-controlled opponent, something that Nintendo’s NES Tetris notably lacked[4]. Four different music tracks can be selected to play, as well as the ability to turn the music off.

It’s Tetris, and a pretty solid version of it at that. Tetris is bound to sell well no matter what console it comes out on, and that’s certainly true for SNES Tetris. As time went on and a competitive classic Tetris community formed, a lot of debate about whether NES or SNES Tetris was the superior version. For a long time, SNES Tetris games would go on for much longer than NES Tetris games did as it was much harder to get pieces to the edge of the screen at max speed in NES Tetris. That was until the discovery of rolling in 2010, about 10 years earlier than in OTL and caused by the NES/SNES Tetris rivalry. Today, NES and SNES players have a much more friendly rivalry, and competitions are regularly held for both games.

Footnotes:
[1] Random bit of trivia regarding this commercial: you might notice that at 0:06, Mario walks on level paths that haven’t been opened up yet! This was done using a debug mode script that’s left unused in the final game, but was enabled by default in the localization prototype. You can use the Game Genie codes 0ABB-6D9D CEBB-6DBD B4BB-6D2D to re-enable this feature.
[2] The intended release date in OTL, before being pushed back to September 9th. However, Nintendo officially recognizes August 23rd as the console’s release date.
[3] While there is a ROM hack that fixes the slowdown in OTL, it makes use of the SA-1 enhancement chip to solve the problem. Coincidentally, the SA-1 is clocked at 10.74 MHz, so I think the game’s slowdown was caused less by bad programming and more by the SNES’s slow processor.
[4] The Tengen version, meanwhile, had both 2-player competitive and cooperative play.

END OF ACT I
And there we have it! The end of this timeline's first act! But don't go anywhere just yet, as we're only just getting started. I want to quickly say thank you to everyone who has been reading Dear Pesky Partners up to this point. I've been absolutely floored by all of the positive encouragement and comments from you guys. Since this is my first timeline, your kind words have encouraged me to go further ahead with this timeline. Of course, none of this would be possible without the contributions of Cherry, Shiny, @Nivek and @CourtlyHades296 so give a round of applause to them as well!

When we start Act II, we'll take a look at the Sega CD's Japanese launch. I'll see you then!

(Oh, and just one more thing... you see, I've got a very special bonus update planned for Christmas. It might come before Chapter 15, it might not... but definitely keep an eye out for it.)

Of course, none of this would be possible without the contributions of Cherry, Shiny, @Nivek and @CourtlyHades296 so give a round of applause to them as well!
Thanks for the kudos and thanks to you for such hard work and amazing work so far, Waiting for the next chapter buddy

Wonder if Sony working with Sega will change Nakayama's priorities? He was arcade centered and wanted to open locations to host Sega's high end arcade machines. Meaning a whole lot of money was dedicated to arcade operations in the budget.

Wonder if Sony working with Sega will change Nakayama's priorities? He was arcade centered and wanted to open locations to host Sega's high end arcade machines. Meaning a whole lot of money was dedicated to arcade operations in the budget.

An arcade company investing in arcade...what a surprise.

But the mess what the consumer business (ir home consoles )was all Sega anyway

I don't see Sony affecting Sega's arcade hardware, at least not yet. Sony will certainly make arcade versions of some of their games for Sega's arcades (a title that I think would work very well in that setting is Psygnosis's WipeOut.) But they're definitely affecting Sega's decision making quite a bit. Sony's large size means that, if the Sega CD does well, Sega could partner with them in other ventures; namely TV and movies. So it's important to Nakayama and other executives to keep Sony happy and trust their judgment, while also not divulging too much control to them so that Sega isn’t bought out.

BONUS: SNES-CD Game Box Art Template!
Merry Christmas, everyone!

As previously mentioned, I have a very special Christmas gift for you all. And even though we haven't reached the SNES-CD launch just yet, I wanted to give you all a taste of what's to come, so here's a template for SNES-CD game box art!
SNES-CD Box Art Template.png
This template was done by me, and I'll be making some in-universe game boxes using it. You are free to use and edit it, too! Well, with certain stipulations, of course...

Notices Regarding Use: If you edit this template and use it for a timeline that isn't Dear Pesky Partners, or you post it offsite, please credit me! That isn't required if you edit it for use in this timeline and end up posting it to this thread, though. And if you wish to submit a box art to this timeline, send me a PM first. That way, I can see if there's anything wrong with it before you post.

I have attached a .zip that includes a .pdn file for easier editing, as it has separate layers. Extract the ZIP and then import the .pdn into paint.NET - I don't have Photoshop, so my apologies in advance to all of the Photoshop users out there!

Expect Chapter 15 to release later this week. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas today!!!

Attachments

• SNES-CD Box Art Template.zip
    55.2 KB · Views: 108
I don't see Sony affecting Sega's arcade hardware, at least not yet. Sony will certainly make arcade versions of some of their games for Sega's arcades (a title that I think would work very well in that setting is Psygnosis's WipeOut.) But they're definitely affecting Sega's decision making quite a bit. Sony's large size means that, if the Sega CD does well, Sega could partner with them in other ventures; namely TV and movies. So it's important to Nakayama and other executives to keep Sony happy and trust their judgment, while also not divulging too much control to them so that Sega isn’t bought out.
I was thinking whether Nakayama revaluated his priorities between the console and arcade business. Especially when it comes to opening physical locations. More for allowing a cushion for the console business when the future economic situation costs it to lose money.

I was thinking whether Nakayama revaluated his priorities between the console and arcade business. Especially when it comes to opening physical locations. More for allowing a cushion for the console business when the future economic situation costs it to lose money.
the thing is if you read everything about Sega...The consoles were demanding as much(even more) money as they earned, that's why the board was so bitterly divided, Anaemic sales in japan till the Saturn didn't help either but that was the piece of the puzzle that lacked...SEGA was an arcade company that first made a few consoles, once people got a new shiny toy, they abandoned them...Plus Nakayama is not the KEY, he is OKAWA, he genuinely loved SEGA even when it was a genuine money sink(anyone else has dropped post saturn and cut losses)

Last edited:

As previously mentioned, I have a very special Christmas gift for you all. And even though we haven't reached the SNES-CD launch just yet, I wanted to give you all a taste of what's to come, so here's a template for SNES-CD game box art!
This template was done by me, and I'll be making some in-universe game boxes using it. You are free to use and edit it, too! Well, with certain stipulations, of course...

Notices Regarding Use: If you edit this template and use it for a timeline that isn't Dear Pesky Partners, or you post it offsite, please credit me! That isn't required if you edit it for use in this timeline and end up posting it to this thread, though. And if you wish to submit a box art to this timeline, send me a PM first. That way, I can see if there's anything wrong with it before you post.

I have attached a .zip that includes a .pdn file for easier editing, as it has separate layers. Extract the ZIP and then import the .pdn into paint.NET - I don't have Photoshop, so my apologies in advance to all of the Photoshop users out there!

Expect Chapter 15 to release later this week. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas today!!!
Cool!

Man how did you make that Template Look so good. It looks way better than The One I'm Trying to make For my TL. Also Merry Christmas