USA's Flag if CSA victory

Hm, rather than drop the stars and admit a loss, what about going back to the thirteen stars and thirteen stripes? "Reviving the spirit of 1776" or something.

I don't think a radical change is likely, though red stars has the humor value of being associated with Communism in OTL.

The horizontal tricolor posted by robert is eerily similar to the pan-slavic tricolor.

If that had been adopted by the US, how would that have effected the post-WWI pan-slavic movement?

Hm, rather than drop the stars and admit a loss, what about going back to the thirteen stars and thirteen stripes? "Reviving the spirit of 1776" or something.

I don't think a radical change is likely, though red stars has the humor value of being associated with Communism in OTL.

Wasn't the red star originally a symbol of the Roman god of war Mars, and it was adopted by the red army because of it?

Thande

Donor
Lest this turn into yet another argument about why slavery is great, as P would say, I'll actually post the red-star variant so we can see what it would look like.

This assumes that Kentucky and Missouri are not in the CSA, that the OTL states admitted to the Union 1860-65 still do so, and that Virginia is considered a separate state to West Virginia.

Screen PNG.png

Thande

Donor
I like the stars chosen, but I don't think it looks good enought to use beyond some propaganda.

Well in reality yes but I thought you were deliberately asking for things more different from OTL - as said above, in all likelihood they'll either just take the stars off or perhaps accelerate the admission of states from territories to make up the numbers.

Well in reality yes but I thought you were deliberately asking for things more different from OTL - as said above, in all likelihood they'll either just take the stars off or perhaps accelerate the admission of states from territories to make up the numbers.

Indeed I am, but it still looks ugly to me :p With any luck, in a few hours I'll have my actual comp back and can begin making some of my own, specificly the centered union flag.

Breaking tincture...

Red on blue breaks tincture, if that's important.

Breaking tincture can be important, not because of heraldic traditions, but because it's usually harder to see the distinctions and make out what's what.

Look at signs today, both road signs and business signs, and you'll see that heraldic rules are usually followed.

Interesting question - agree with Imajin they'd keep the 13 stripes. As for the rest, I can think of several possibilities:
  • Keep pre-Civil War flag to symbolise enduring commitment to Union
  • Speed up process of admitting states from western territories until it fits the number of pre-war states
  • Get rid of the stars altogether and replace them with one big star or some other symbol to avoid the number question (and perhaps emphasise the increasing federalism as opposed to states' rights)
  • Take the CS states' stars off, though this will probably be unpopular. Or colour them red to represent "lost states" that will one day be regaind, if you're in a vengeful mood.

Basically I totally agree with Thande...

Highlander

Banned
I think the CSA has a greater chance of completely changing the format of their flag, but this is just a crazy idea I had: what about an inverse American flag? As in, blue field with stars, and stripes in the canton?