An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Is that a good thing for Russia or a bad thing? Taking that many mouths away from needing to be fed in Russia itself, or draws too many peasants away from the land who are farming. I think myself there should be plenty of second and third sons not really needed on the land during bad harvests. What do you think.
I think it will generally be good for Russia in the short term. The possibility of getting involved in a protracted war that is costly in lives and treasure is low. They'll come out of it with increased prestige and a neighbor indebted to them that they theoretically will have some influence on setting up borders and trade concerns to their own liking. Long term it's hard to say what this effect will be. Russia in OTL didn't become the big scary bear that Europe was ready to unite to oppose until the 20th century. They could be painting a target on their back much earlier here. Or they could simply secure all their borders since they have friendly powers to the south already and have a chance for unprecedented internal development.

Blaze

Banned
I think it will generally be good for Russia in the short term. The possibility of getting involved in a protracted war that is costly in lives and treasure is low. They'll come out of it with increased prestige and a neighbor indebted to them that they theoretically will have some influence on setting up borders and trade concerns to their own liking. Long term it's hard to say what this effect will be. Russia in OTL didn't become the big scary bear that Europe was ready to unite to oppose until the 20th century. They could be painting a target on their back much earlier here. Or they could simply secure all their borders since they have friendly powers to the south already and have a chance for unprecedented internal development.
Earlier, even by the mid XVIIIth century there was fear of what Russia could do , altough that only became fully apparent by the XIXth, especially with the Crimean War and it´s effect of the general populance state of mind of the other european powers.

Altough, since Europe is still preoccupied and will be occupied by the Big bad Triune "lion,", the same way it was opposed to France in the XVIIth century, and Russia is on it´s way to oppose them, they will certainly have a honeymoon period with the other powers in the way of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Last edited:
Earlier, even by the mid XVIIIth century there was fear of what Russia could do , altough that only became fully apparent by the XIXth, especially with the Crimean War and it´s effect of the general populance state of mind of the other european powers.
There was fear, but it didn't turn into any kind of unified front the way it did in the 20th century. The Crimean War was very much a one off event to prop up the Ottomans as much as to contain Russia.

Does anyone know if there is some alternate way to get access to the maps for the first paet of this timeline, since they no longer work in that thread?

Does anyone know if there is some alternate way to get access to the maps for the first paet of this timeline, since they no longer work in that thread?
Ask whoever posted them? The one I made for the eastern med in 1550 is still on my computer, for example, so maybe the others are similar?

Ask whoever posted them? The one I made for the eastern med in 1550 is still on my computer, for example, so maybe the others are similar?
Now I'm curious to see that one again. Maybe it's worth it to create a parallel map thread where people can post and threadmark the maps for this timeline. Of course I say that having made none of them and thus having no work to put in, so feel free to let me know I should sit down and be quiet.

Now I'm curious to see that one again. Maybe it's worth it to create a parallel map thread where people can post and threadmark the maps for this timeline. Of course I say that having made none of them and thus having no work to put in, so feel free to let me know I should sit down and be quiet.
Sadly my building is without power so I can't do that right now. If I haven't reposted it in 5 or 6 hours feel free to badger me about it.

Sadly my building is without power so I can't do that right now. If I haven't reposted it in 5 or 6 hours feel free to badger me about it.
There will be no badgering. I appreciate the fact that you created it in the first place. You don't owe us anything more. I hope your power issues get resolved soon.

@Daylight Savings here you go, the 1550 map. Though I don't remember what the legend was.

Age of Miracles, Eastern Med, 1550.png

@Evilprodigy thanks. Very cool. Crazy to think about how much the size of Hungary has fluctuated through their ups and downs. And since we had talked about it recently nice to have the visual reminder of Roman control of Crimea.

Egypt is too divergent culturally to be re-integrated. They will remain tied to Rhomania because they can't stand up to them on their own, and benefit greatly from the relationship. But they will remain a despotate and operate independently in that position.

Georgia is absolutely a sizeable and strong middle tier power. They also benefit from being almost entirely surrounded by allies. And now that Persia is looking like they are going to play nicely for the most part in the future I think there's a solid chance that they develop in a minimally militaristic manner as we enter modernity. The ability to sell Caucasus oil to Russia is going to provide a nice financial boost when we get to that point and I expect they will end up as a somewhat stable business haven in a messy world come the 19th and 20th centuries. Their only real threats are internal. If we get a rise in nationalism you may see the various populations they now rule seeking more autonomy or even independence.

Egypt is too divergent culturally to be re-integrated.
That didn't stop the Romans before in otl lol. Augustus in Egyptian iconography had himself depicted as another Pharoh maintaining continuity with past Egyptian rulers. There's no reason Rhomania couldn't do something similar with how Egypt currently is. Plus its a large enough polity that it could develop to eventually challenge Constantinople considering how the Heraclians used to to depose Phocas.

The ability to sell Caucasus oil to Russia is going to provide a nice financial boost when we get to that point and I expect they will end up as a somewhat stable business haven in a messy world come the 19th and 20th centuries. Their only real threats are internal. If we get a rise in nationalism you may see the various populations they now rule seeking more autonomy or even independence.
Nationalism as an ideology was a consequence of the Enligtenment/French Revolution. This tl has pretty much long since butterflied away the circumstances of otl's early modern era.