An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

They will not beg. The Ethiopian state does not depend on shipping fees to Suez to live and have enough clout to still attract Roman ships to unload spices on their local ports for local consumption even if they then chose to go around the Cape, where they would be subjected to ruinous fees of any Latin power that controls the ports along the way.
Firstly, I do not think Ethiopian consumption is high enough to make up for the potential lost tariffs. Ethiopia is less populous, poorer and less developed than Rhomania.
Secondly, as far as I know, Ethiopia currently has two major sources of revenue: the coffee trade and the Red Sea trade, and the second is by far the more valuable. When Ethiopia has a fleet to maintain in the Indian Ocean, they need as much income as they can get.
Thirdly, did I not say that this idea would mostly be used as a bargaining chip? The Ethiopians likely won't want to sour their relations with their largest trade partner and most powerful neighbour, so this whole threat is mostly meant to be the forewarning. It isn't like either the Romans would want to go ahead with it nor the Ethiopians find out if the Romans would go ahead with it.
Lastly, given that Roman merchants in the east have suffered heavy losses in the east, provided that the government gives them (the ones who weren't committing tax fraud at least) the tax break they want, they're not in any good position to argue.

I'd expect it to be closer to France. The State is, and will remain, the biggest capitalist in the country.
Capitalist? I'm not sure I follow. Wasn't the objective of the ttl to make the state government (imperial) powerful? You don't go capitalism because it weakens the government and the nation to constant habitual infighting.

Unless of course your suggesting the otl approach of the mainland China in regards to capitalism?

Capitalist? I'm not sure I follow. Wasn't the objective of the ttl to make the state government (imperial) powerful? You don't go capitalism because it weakens the government and the nation to constant habitual infighting.

Unless of course your suggesting the otl approach of the mainland China in regards to capitalism?
The French state has historically had an easy trigger finger with nationalisations and retains large stakes in many industries. In addition, in many strategic fields, there remained monopolistic state companies, that have only been forced to open up to competition due to European pressure.
I could talk about Orange (historically France Télécom), the reorganisation of EDF and GDF, and the stakes in Renault for example.

Huh what kind of question is that? Why would Roman entreprisers use the cape route? The red sea, nile river, Mediterranean sea combo is the fastest route to delivering good from an eastern market to a western one. Your inviting unmitigated danger by forcing Roman traders to head southwards, where in the north its already safer.

Because from the point you have an 1000t teak built merchantmant there is no technical reason you cannot sail directly from Indonesia to Constantinople? And in doing so the money that would had gone into the pockets of multiple middlemen stay in your pockets? Where's the danger of unmitigated disaster exactly?

Because from the point you have an 1000t teak built merchantmant there is no technical reason you cannot sail directly from Indonesia to Constantinople? And in doing so the money that would had gone into the pockets of multiple middlemen stay in your pockets? Where's the danger of unmitigated disaster exactly?
I think your underestimating the resolves of privateers in that long ass journey to the cape. Not to mention Barbary Pirates once they actually enter the Mediterranean sea.

Vince

Monthly Donor
I'm going to take a WAG (wild-assed guess) and say that the third financial crisis has something to do with all the outstanding bonds from war.

This is going to be interesting that D3 dies with all these budget issues and Ody won't even consider going to the capital to address them. Sounds like somebody like Athena could be the Emperor in all but name for everything non-military related.

I'd add the caveat here that unless I've missed it, we might not have what we'd call Capitalism ITTL - but almost certainly we'd have the government as a hugely important Commercial Actor, akin to State Capitalism IOTL. It makes sense with some of the natural monopolies in place (i.e. Red Sea transport, and that link in general, especially if it expands to use a modern canal) - I can't see them tolerating a private rail system, especially since they'd primarily want to use it for redeployments.

However, we're talking about an Empire with a broad and long history with its relationship with public and private interest - everything from selling tax rights in the Republic and Principate to the modern system of quinannual tax assessment. It could even go a route of essentially monopoly-licensing periodically - like imagine Walmart having an official monopoly on supermarkets.

I'm going to take a WAG (wild-assed guess) and say that the third financial crisis has something to do with all the outstanding bonds from war.

This is going to be interesting that D3 dies with all these budget issues and Ody won't even consider going to the capital to address them. Sounds like somebody like Athena could be the Emperor in all but name for everything non-military related.
That’s probably for the best. I like Odysseus and I don’t think he’s crazy or evil, but from what I’ve seen he strikes me as a “cutting the Gordian Knot in half” kinda guy for most problems. In war that’s a brutal but acceptable attitude. Even when dealing with bickering officials just taking a decisive approach cutting through all the BS can work well. Doing that with the Populous of Constantinople who he already dislikes would be very very problematic.

North Africa
Did Spain seize Ceuta, Tangiers or Melila like they did during OTL Reconquista?

Another common tax fraud is to purchase a villa on the Georgian coast of the Black Sea, spend a bunch of money on furnishings for said villa
Will Georgia and Ethiopia retain their premier tax haven status till the modern day? Or will they be replaced by federation partners like RITW?

Also, while we're on the topic of trade, can we talk about tariffs? I know Rhomania is staunchly anti-free trade, but has there been any talk about reducing tariffs at least between Orthodox Alliance partners?

Did Spain seize Ceuta, Tangiers or Melila like they did during OTL Reconquista?

Will Georgia and Ethiopia retain their premier tax haven status till the modern day? Or will they be replaced by federation partners like RITW?

Also, while we're on the topic of trade, can we talk about tariffs? I know Rhomania is staunchly anti-free trade, but has there been any talk about reducing tariffs at least between Orthodox Alliance partners?
I think the old thread did somewhat reduce tariff for most favored countries a.k.a the original orthodox alliance that shattered the blue or white horde I think on ttl present scythia.

I haven't posted a new map in a while so here's the newest version with a few tweaks here and there with the biggest addition being the inclusion of the theme subdivisions. Lemme know if there are any inaccuracies or anything you think I could add
IMG_0815.PNG

Pardon me if it has been mentioned before... But how do the Scottish feel about their place in the Scandinavian (or Empire of all the North) Empire?

Pardon me if it has been mentioned before... But how do the Scottish feel about their place in the Scandinavian (or Empire of all the North) Empire?
Excellent question, I do not think it has been mentioned. It has been a stretch for me that the Triunes have not over run Scotland by now. Seem like a prime threat to the English part of the realm that can be over run.

I remember in an update posted a while ago that both the scottish and northern english feel strong discontent with each other's respective occupying empire and feel a kinship between each other

I haven't posted a new map in a while so here's the newest version with a few tweaks here and there with the biggest addition being the inclusion of the theme subdivisions. Lemme know if there are any inaccuracies or anything you think I could addView attachment 589081
What web or program do you use for these kind editting? I've been wanting to make one for my proposition on a more stable border on the middle east.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
I haven't posted a new map in a while so here's the newest version with a few tweaks here and there with the biggest addition being the inclusion of the theme subdivisions. Lemme know if there are any inaccuracies or anything you think I could addView attachment 589081
nice map.
  1. i'm really hating ethiopia and Oman for that bordergore on the zanzibar coast.
  2. is that cyan country in west-south africa Kongo? what are they doing?
@Basileus444 quick question, is the mexican empire catholic or orthodox or what? and hat is the percentage of muslims in ethiopia?