An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

For a non muslim population in Northern Mesopotamia and the Levant perhaps they could try relocating Italian Latins to the region kind of how they used to send Bulgarians to settle parts of Asia minor. Although admittedly it seems a bit impractical

I don't know if this has already been answered but do the Rhomans see being a Latin as a religious or an ethnic label. For example if a German immigrates to Egypt or Syria and converts to Orthodox do they stop being a Latin or are they simply considered "a Latin that practices the correct Christianity"?
I believe if you adopt Orthodoxy you can be treated as fully Rhoman regardless of where you are from. I think this mindset is one of the Rhoman empires biggest strengths ttl

There is no greater honor than to receive a badge of office from the Chakravartin, the Universal Emperor.

Small side note: I don't know if you already know this, but Chakravartin does not actually mean 'Universal Emperor' AFAIK. It means 'Wheel-turner', in the context of the Dharmachakra, the Wheel of Law... which was a Buddhist thing AFAIK. If the Indian Emperor had a main title, it would likely have been 'Samraat': 'Emperor'. India never really had anyone claiming universal empire after the Mauryas.

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
For a non muslim population in Northern Mesopotamia.
Would they need to move all that many people into Northern Mesopotamia? While they are certainly Sunni Muslim the area is going have a relatively small population of Arabs compared to the Levantine territory, most being a variety of Kurdish, Armenian, Turkmens, Azerbaijani, and other minorities. I figure that area will quickly be filled by more Armenian and East Anatolian Greeks and Turks with enough from Greece proper to fill it up without needing to import foreign settlers.

Last edited:
How many people would they need to move all that many people into Northern Mesopotamia? While they are certainly Sunni Muslim the area is going have a relatively small population of Arabs compared to the Levantine territory, most being a variety of Kurdish, Armenian, Turkmens, Azerbaijani, and other minorities. I figure that area will quickly be filled by more Armenian and East Anatolian Greeks and Turks with enough from Greece proper to fill it up without needing to import foreign settlers.
Yeah good point, much less expensive and a more reliable population

Cryostorm

Donor
Monthly Donor
Also, in regards to immigration to other parts of the world, I feel like outside of the recently conquered territories the majority of Rhoman and Despotate citizens will either go to the Rhomania in the East or to Mexico, Mexico being one of the few, i.e only, new world nations it gets along with. For the other Orthodox nations Russia will likely have very few leave as it pushes east while Georgia and Vlachia will likely split between Rhoman territories, Russian territories, and Mexico as well. In fact Mexico could do very well in getting and promoting a reputation as the western home of Orthodox Christians which would secure a large, and skilled, migrant pool.

Last edited:
Gotta ask why the immigration to the new world? The move made by Demetrios III was more based on military and diplomatic actions to have an listening post to Mexico against the triunes. I'd figure like others that most immigration will be more internal one in the levant and northern Mesopotamia. After all Rome's policy in securing land requires more or less on being Roman and orthodox, that started after the ToT. Islam has no place on Rome at this point in their period, so I don't see a reason for them to immigrate on a far away land where diseases run rampant. Only once antibiotics start to develop should they even start to consider such a thing.

Gotta ask why the immigration to the new world? The move made by Demetrios III was more based on military and diplomatic actions to have an listening post to Mexico against the triunes. I'd figure like others that most immigration will be more internal one in the levant and northern Mesopotamia. After all Rome's policy in securing land requires more or less on being Roman and orthodox, that started after the ToT. Islam has no place on Rome at this point in their period, so I don't see a reason for them to immigrate on a far away land where diseases run rampant. Only once antibiotics start to develop should they even start to consider such a thing.

Not to mention even from a logistical standpoint the OTL USVI (site of the New World Rhoman colonies) can't exactly hold a ton of people especially compared to the Levant.

If Rhomamia makes another colony (maybe around OTL Buenos Aires/Uruguay if no one has claimed it yet) that's a different story but then you run into the very real problem of projecting power all the way across the Mediterranean and Atlantic. A Rhoman colony of substantial size is a very inviting target to the Spanish/Triunes/whomever.

Though the area is much smaller and consequently the era it takes place in much shorter I do wonder if Rome will develop something akin to the Wild West mentality in those territories and how that might influence the Roman state.

I, for one, am hoping for French immigrants to the region and for local dialects of Greek and Arabic to have French influence. Instead of major economic events along the frontier regions, why not give the same names from OTL to religious gatherings and geographic landmarks?
“Rendezvous” won’t refer to a convention of fur traders but of Latin pilgrimages to holy sites in Palestine like the Hajj for Islam led by local Catholic clergy (Ioannes Colter, Jedidiah Sideros, etc)
The Tetons as a name in Latin Christendom for the Taurus mountains in colloquial parlance?

Bonus points if Amerindian immigrants come to the region and ITTL Washakie is a Roman...

I, for one, am hoping for French immigrants to the region and for local dialects of Greek and Arabic to have French influence. Instead of major economic events along the frontier regions, why not give the same names from OTL to religious gatherings and geographic landmarks?
“Rendezvous” won’t refer to a convention of fur traders but of Latin pilgrimages to holy sites in Palestine like the Hajj for Islam led by local Catholic clergy (Ioannes Colter, Jedidiah Sideros, etc)
The Tetons as a name in Latin Christendom for the Taurus mountains in colloquial parlance?

Bonus points if Amerindian immigrants come to the region and ITTL Washakie is a Roman...
Ok I don't think that's a good idea, anyone choosing that option would be courting political suicide.

@floppy_seal99 @JSC I think regarding a "Wild West" mentaility, I doubt that will emerge in Syria, but it does have potential via Mexico.

One of the biggest advantages the Romans have in the New World is that they have allies there in Mexico. Considering the presence of the Triunes, it wouldn't be bad strategy for the Romans to establish something in OTL New Orleans, not a significant settler-colony, the Romans haven't really the infrastructure to maintain that, nor the spare demographics - but instead as a European-style port to form an alliance network with the various Mississippians. It makes sense to do something similar on the mouth of the Rio Grande to trade with the Pueblo, essentially diplomatic stations and trade ports to allow easy money in propping up native tribes in the same way the Iroquois were.

It'd also be a rather interesting twist, considering that ITTL the Rhomans are known in the Old World for the Great Crime, that in the New World, they're known for being the most humane of the Europeans.

The main question is what the Romans would trade - Guns into the region, for sure - but would they then buy raw materials from the natives and make new guns, and potentially export sugar? They can grow sugar on site in Alt-NO, but all I can think to do is purchase extra sugar for sending back to the Empire Proper from the rest of the Caribbean - just need to figure out what the Mississippians would be able to sell, since there isn't the same abundance of furs.

I think the Rhomans are bound to have a somewhat negative image in north america since they will be the last to abolish slavery i believe

You know thinking about that Wild West comment, I can't help but wonder whether or not Rhomania develops a bit of a Manifest Destiny thought process toward Persia. The empires of that region have been fierce opponents of the Empire for pretty much forever so if an opportunity for conquest presented itself and Rome goes further down the rabbit hole of xenophobia and imperialism, there might be a push to "put down the eternal enemy" or something along those lines, right?

You know thinking about that Wild West comment, I can't help but wonder whether or not Rhomania develops a bit of a Manifest Destiny thought process toward Persia. The empires of that region have been fierce opponents of the Empire for pretty much forever so if an opportunity for conquest presented itself and Rome goes further down the rabbit hole of xenophobia and imperialism, there might be a push to "put down the eternal enemy" or something along those lines, right?
An urge to re-create the empire of Alexander is not off the table for the Rhoman far-right.