The Conch Republic

This happens

The Conch Republic was born on April 23rd of 1982 in response to a United States Border blockade of the Florida Keys. Since the United States Government insisted on treating the Keys like a foreign country; Key West Mayor Dennis Wardlow seceded from the Union, declared war, surrendered, and demanded foreign aid. During the intervening years the U.S. never reacted to the secession, thereby establishing sovereignty for the Conch Republic under International Law Governing "adverse possession between sovereign nations".

(taken from http://www.conchrepublic.com/republic_position.htm)

Now, what if they (The Conch's) would have pressed thier case and actually been recognized as a real country?

? uh... part of the country seceeds and the US ignores it?! You remember that little thing called the American Civil War that was fought for the principle that things like this couldn't be done?

Hey, I'm just saying. They said they Seceded, Declared War, Surrended (Like 30 minutes later after assualting a Coast Guard cutter with stale Cuban Bread) and asked for Foreign Aid. The US backed off, and removed the boarder crossing. But the Keys never recended the declaration of Secession, and the US never told them too. And so far over 18 countries currently, in real life, accept the Conch Republic Passport. They even had the paperwork filled out to send to the U.N., but they never mailed it in our timeline.

I dunno, had it been a serious attempt, things would have got messy. Not in our day could the US assult the Islands without messy international consequenses. It could have ended up where the US didnt recognize their indepencence, but didnt do anything to stop it.

THis brings up an interesting question...

What if my town wanted to succed (i dont think we would want to, although we want our nereby town to, stupid commies). What if our town council declared ourselfves independant. What would the state/feds do? My town is landlocked, wich would complicate things.

WHat would happen?

WngMasterD said:
THis brings up an interesting question...

What if my town wanted to succed (i dont think we would want to, although we want our nereby town to, stupid commies). What if our town council declared ourselfves independant. What would the state/feds do? My town is landlocked, wich would complicate things.

WHat would happen?

All the neccessities of life, from power, food, water, etc will be cut off. Your little nation will shrivel on the vine and you'll all come back begging to be apart of America. sad but true.

But at least you'll be in one of those quirky little fun fact books on american histroy.

"Said town SECEDED from the USA on January 22, 2005 for an entrity of ten days and two hours, before a coup d'etat toppled the existing counciling body and the new gov't reentered the union."

Last edited:
You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to

There is apparently some confusion on this board between the words

SECEDE, defined as "To withdraw formally from membership in an organization, association, or alliance."

and

SUCCEED, defined as "1. To come next in time or succession, follow after another, or replace another in an office or a position; 2. To accomplish something desired or intended."

The two words are not the same. Just FYI for those of you who don't know.

Psychomeltdown said:
All the neccessities of life, from power, food, water, etc will be cut off. Your little nation will shrivel on the vine and you'll all come back begging to be apart of America. sad but true.

But at least you'll be in one of those quirky little fun fact books on american histroy.

"Said town SECEDED from the USA on January 22, 2005 for an entrity of ten days and two hours, before a coup d'etat toppled the existing counciling body and the new gov't reentered the union."

HA! So an AMISH town could become its own little nation with out any problems.

As a democracy any part of the country should be allowed to secede.
Florida Keys does not have much in the way of strategic or resource value so there is no reason for the USA to want it.

I don't think it was a serious secesion from what I know of the incident anyway, it was just a big publicity stunt to bring the attention of the rest of the country to the government treating them unfairly.

Leo Caesius

Banned
WngMasterD said:
HA! So an AMISH town could become its own little nation with out any problems.
Muwhawhawhawhaw... yes, our plans are coming to fruition. Soon, liebchen, all will be clear!

-Amos Stoltzfus, Amish Supervillain

Leej said:
Florida Keys does not have much in the way of strategic or resource value so there is no reason for the USA to want it.

I'd say they're fairly strategic in that Key West would be good point from which we could strike Cuba... ;)

Like any Carribean Country, they could have a large Tourism industry (Which is thier primary industry right now). But they could also supply off-shore banking. All while still being connected to the mainland by a highway system.