Washington Caught Crossing the Delaware

Xen

Banned
As the British entered winter headquarters in 1776 they had killed or captured over 5,000 of the rebels and controlled much of New York, and New Jersey, and was in a good position to resume operations in the spring, with the rebel capital of Philadelphia in their sights. The Continental Congress fled the city tails tucked between their legs, and the situation for the American Rebels looked bleak. The army melted to 5,000 men fit for combat duty, with many of its enlistments expiring at the years end.

Washington hoped to take to the offensive and attack the German mercanaries in New Jersey by crossing the frozen Delaware. Unfortunatley for the rebels, Washington was spotted by a British sailor and captured. The army began to experience massive desertions. When the British resumed its campagin in the spring, the American army was in no position to stop them, Philadelphia fell without a shot being fired. The last major battle resulted in the rebel defeat at Wilmington, Delaware. Most of the American army was either killed or captured, and the desire to continue the fight was destroyed.

The British turned their focus to the war in the south, defeating the rebels in short order. It is worthy to note, the war in the south was in many ways a civil war, fought between American Loyalists and American Rebels. The fighting ended in the south 1778 marking the end of the Rebellion, and restoring America’s loyalty to the Crown.

The leaders of the American Rebellion either fled or were captured by the British, those who swore alleigence to King George III were allowed to return home, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington both took this route. Thomas Jefferson fled to France where he was arrested by King Louis XVI and executed for his liberal writings in 1788.

The American Colonies were divided into several military zones led by British military commanders. The colonies were dissolved and reorganized in 1785, and led by military governors until 1790 when civilian rule was returned.

Britain turned its focus to Europe, and the French Revolution. In spite of the failure of the American Colonists to win their independence from Britain, the ideals that sprung from the Rebellion captured the hearts and imaginations of many Frenchmen who tired of King Louis authoritarian rule. Louis and his wife were beheaded in 1793; the dauphin had been secretly snuck out of the country by his uncle, living safely in London under the protection of the British monarchy.

Six years would pass until the rise of the greatest threat to ever face Europe would come to the helm and seize control of France. The name Napoleon would soon be spoken and feared by the greatest monarchs of Europe.

Xen said:

The British turned their focus to the war in the south, defeating the rebels in short order. It is worthy to note, the war in the south was in many ways a civil war, fought between American Loyalists and American Rebels. The fighting ended in the south 1778 marking the end of the Rebellion, and restoring America’s loyalty to the Crown.

Basically quite a plausible british victory scenario, but New England should still be in rebelliion at this point - and representing a much tougher nut to crack than the South, where I'd expect it to take a little longer to fully restore order.

IN Europe i have to wonder why the French revolution still seems to occur substantially as in OTL, despite French neutrality in the ARW. there's also the issue of the War of The Bavarian Succession, if France isn't occupied in the Americas I'd have thought she would at least try to intervene.

Matthew Craw said:
Basically quite a plausible british victory scenario, but New England should still be in rebelliion at this point - and representing a much tougher nut to crack than the South, where I'd expect it to take a little longer to fully restore order.

IN Europe i have to wonder why the French revolution still seems to occur substantially as in OTL, despite French neutrality in the ARW. there's also the issue of the War of The Bavarian Succession, if France isn't occupied in the Americas I'd have thought she would at least try to intervene.

"The Hessians are tipped off at Trenton" is the POD for my British North America ATL as well! :D

Very little would change with the War of Bavarian Succession, as France will still stay out (viewing the alliance with Austria as defensive and not offensive.)

Even so the French Revolution won't happen, in 1789 anyway, and the lack of debts from the American war could fuel French colonial adventures in South Africa and Australia...

OTOH, the Partitioning of Poland would make an excellent opportunity for a general European war in the late 1790s-early 1800s time frame, and just in time for a French financial crisis too...