Yellowstone December 1941

Slumbering for hundreds of thousand years, the Yellowstone Caldera decides to erupt in late December of 1941, just days after Pearl Harbour.

How will the eruption interfere with WWII? How will it influence the world at large, how will it influence the US in special?

Well Yellowstone would not end the world but well Germany will make peace and try to hold out against any bad things and well you know....

ye gods

well, if this happens, the allies are well and good effed up the a. the USA is cut in half at best, with ashfalls in excess of ten to twenty feet across the breadbasket, and even places like Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit covered in a smothering blanket. Millions would die in the affected areas, and even the east coast would be severely impacted. Same thing in Canada too, except worse because the snows would start almost immediately after the worst of the ashfall ceases. I imagine the maritimes might be a little better off than the rest of the nation.

i am not sure how yellowstone would affect the pacific coasts, but i am pretty sure there would be little to no communication with the east except by sea, as the passes would be blocked very soon after the initial eruption by ash and then snow.

the world would be plunged into an ice age like we can't even imagine and millions of people would die from famines and such, through 1942, and possibly even into 1943. i shudder to think of what would happen to the world really. well, at least the northern hemisphere. i imagine the British government evacuating to south africa and india, and some form of accommodation is reached with germany and italy, because the war would be untenable after such an event.

it is really hard to say what would happen exactly. i can't imagine the war with japan cooling down anytime soon, but what i do imagine is that Russia would certainly enter the war, eager to relocate her freezing millions (those left alive anyway, lol) in the comparatively warmer chinese and japanese lands, specifically manchuria and maybe even korea.

ugh, too many variables making me crazy, lol.

Yellowstone is a Supervolcano http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano
wen if erupt then is USA... dead and later the rest of world.
it blow more of 1000 km³ of lava, rock, Ash and Dust in Atmospere

in first 3 days of eruption it covers east USA and Canada
under 1 cm of volcanic ash, causing mass destruction in the nearby vicinity and killing plants and wildlife across the continent.
the US ecomomie collaps, survirors try to get west or south of USA

some week after eruption vulcanic ash reach Europa and England
in time of Blitz Krieg over England
the Ash Damage pistion engine of Bomber and Fighter planes
so they crash down, ALL Aircraft, the rest stay on the ground.

Japan can try to Invade West USA, but they will have other problem
ther Aircraft have same problem because
the Vulcanic ash is now all over world, this trigger a "Vulcanic Winter"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_winter

worldtempertur drop 1-2°C down, its rain volcanic sulphur and sulfur dioxide
killing plants and wildlife across the World.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
in case of Yellowstone it triggers a New Ice Age

in the end hunders of millions Humains gona be Death

Interesting idea for a time line, actually. I agree with others that WW2 would grind to a standstill, the question is who would take how much advantage of it?

Doubtless the USA will be history at this point. The German war for "Lebensraum" may become justified after all if the surviving industrial nations have to start fighting over limited food supplies and unaffected (or less affected) areas to grow food and to evacuate to. Many nations in Southern America were very pro-Nazi, or even allied with Germany, iirc (it's too early on a Saturday for me to bother digging through history texts) and this may be a decisive advantage. Japan may be able to seize vast territories in the pacific (depending on when the eruption takes place exactly) and they could use slave labor in the occupied territories (China etc) to survive.

Russians are used to harsh winters, but whether a volcanic winter would push them over the brink is hard for me to say. If they survive, and if southern areas are less affected, then the USSR could extend south, not west, after WW2.

You should read up on the Toba event (which pretty much pushed primitive mankind to the brink of extinction) and I think there are a couple of documentaries exploring how a supervolcano would affect our modern world. Personally, I am convinced that our technology would make an event like this survivable; but mankind would be in for one grim chapter in history especially if it happened during WW2 with half the world being ruled by such cruel regimes.

Wow. Its amazing the differing opinions people can have on this sight. I suggested Yellowstone erupting in 1908 a few weeks back and everyone said the effects on the climate would only last a couple of years!

Personally, I think this thread has a more realistic idea of what would happen.

Archibald

Banned
the Ash Damage pistion engine of Bomber and Fighter planes
so they crash down, ALL Aircraft, the rest stay on the ground.

You have a good point here! WWII without airpower ??!!! :eek: no way!

Well, without air power the war wouldn't turn out to be that different to WWI, through I guess it would stop to a grinding halt in early 1942. The Nazis are defiantly going to scrouge up every single bit of grain for the Germans, while let everyone else to rot.

Cue to massive uprisings in the invaded areas. So all military power would be bound to keep the invaded areas under control, so no invasion of Russia.

Wow. Its amazing the differing opinions people can have on this sight. I suggested Yellowstone erupting in 1908 a few weeks back and everyone said the effects on the climate would only last a couple of years!

Personally, I think this thread has a more realistic idea of what would happen.

I guess you didn't use the right time period. If one is to say 'What if something like this happens during WWII', everyone will most likely go and look up how it will screw up Nazi Germany. :p

Interesting idea for a time line, actually. I agree with others that WW2 would grind to a standstill, the question is who would take how much advantage of it?

I think because of the massive chaos in the US they would not want to fight a war. Pearl Harbour was a massive blow which mobilised the American People however if millions are dieing in US cities I think it would be easily forgotten.

Possibly a Separate peace? With the Japanese believing the Eruption was a divine sign?

Japan with a free hand in the Pacific is the price to pay for the US looking exclusively inwardly for the next few years I suppose.

Japan with a free hand in the Pacific is the price to pay for the US looking exclusively inwardly for the next few years I suppose.

It wouldn't be for the next few years though. It would probably take at least several decades for the United States to recover from a natural disaster of this magetitude.

mattep74

Kicked
Considering that most of the human race had trouble surviving in the BBC made Supervolcano that takes place now i say that the human race would forgett all about war for quite a while and try to survive.

If you remember the ending of Supervolcano, it wasnt the ash that caused most long term effects, it was the gas that leaked into the atmosphere and we got a new ice age.

What happens would be completely dependent on how big the eruption is. It's a monster that puts feet of ash across the Midwest, the USA now has a huge problem - and the force of a blast that size would demolish everything from the West Coast to the Mississippi River. Tens of millions of dead in the US alone, and their ability to fight the war would be completely shattered.

The Japanese, reliant on oil from America and have major weather changes as a result of the big one, are not gonna fight on either. Invading anything beyond the Phillippines is completely ASB - the resources are not there.

Germany is completely up a creek without a paddle. The Russian winter of 1941-42 caused them a lot of pain in OTL, and this one is gonna be a LOT colder and hasher. Any of their aircraft will be really in trouble with their engines - and won't be flying as a result.

Famine would grip most of the Northern Hemisphere. North America and Europe are already blasted to kingdom come, Russia will be freezing solid soon. The war slackens off badly.

Tens if not hundreds of millions of people go south as fast as they can. The US will probably outright annex Mexico, Cuba and some parts of Central America for themselves.

Britain's government moves to a British colony in Africa or India, so watch for parliament recovening in Bombay, Salisbury, New Delhi or perhaps Sydney, Melbourne or Cape Town. British people go south in numbers. Australia's population jumps massively, while the white populations of South Africa, Rhodesia and East Africa skyrocket. A big stack of British land in India, too. Canadians would have to go somewhere, too - they probably join the British exodus, and gather in South Africa and Australia. This exodus landing in South Africa dooms apartheid and the Afrikaners.

The French try to take back their colonies in North Africa but don't have much success at it. Most of the French leaving France land in West Africa or Madagascar.

A bunch of others go to South America, as well. Argentina and Brazil are long independent by WWII, but they gain substantially. Argentina (and Brazil to a lesser extent) would become one of the world's chief food growers after this.

The world changes completely. Germany may be a dominant European power, but that is only temporary - the Brits and French will return, probably by the late 1940s or early 1950s. The Southern Hemisphere, particularly Africa, will be much, MUCH better developed. Racism will exist for a long while, but the countries would likely gain independence if not along the lines of OTL not all that much later.