Military Strategy with a Confederate Maryland

Inspired by all these "capitol" threads, has anyone ever discussed the Union military strategy if Maryland secedes?
I assume the Virginia front becomes the Maryland front. The terrain is not significantly different from Northern Virginia; it's all the same Piedmont plateau. If marching south through central MD, there are a number of E-W rivers to be crossed, and it seems to me MD rivers tend to be located in gorges more frequently than northern VA rivers.
You've also got a discontented Baltimore running across union supply lines, but I guess they had that anyway.
At the very least that Potomac crossing will be hell.
What would the campaign be like? Would it be as difficult as Virginia turned out to be, or are we talking about just a slight headache before the Virginia quagmire?
I assume Baltimore is nothing but chaotic riots at this time, Confederate sympathizers clashing with Federal troops in the streets (which happened on a smaller scale OTL.) Washington is probably evacuated, but left garrisoned and remains in Union hands under a probably rather ineffective siege.
Do the Union even attack Maryland, or cross into Virginia at Harpers Ferry and keep the Potomac on their flank? Perhaps couple this with a naval landing in Southern Maryland and Annapolis, try to isolate the state from the rest of the Confederacy?
How about the Confederates? The position in Maryland is tenuous, but the potential rewards are enormous. Not only do they strike a symbolic blow by capturing DC, but they can take the industrial powerhouse of Baltimore, which I believe was one of the two or three biggest centers of industry in the entire country at the time. Also, there's the Naval Academy at Annapolis.
Still, its army is small and untested at this point. Do they take the risk and fortify MD?
Anyone see any different possibilities? I'm extremely curious to know what people think. Also, if this has been discussed before, could you please point me in the direction of that discussion?
Thanks

Grey Wolf

Donor
The Confederates wouldn't need to TAKE Baltimore, simply to hold it, which I assume the Maryland militia would be doing as a priority ?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Inspired by all these "capitol" threads, has anyone ever discussed the Union military strategy if Maryland secedes?
I assume the Virginia front becomes the Maryland front. The terrain is not significantly different from Northern Virginia; it's all the same Piedmont plateau. If marching south through central MD, there are a number of E-W rivers to be crossed, and it seems to me MD rivers tend to be located in gorges more frequently than northern VA rivers.
You've also got a discontented Baltimore running across union supply lines, but I guess they had that anyway.
At the very least that Potomac crossing will be hell.
What would the campaign be like? Would it be as difficult as Virginia turned out to be, or are we talking about just a slight headache before the Virginia quagmire?
I assume Baltimore is nothing but chaotic riots at this time, Confederate sympathizers clashing with Federal troops in the streets (which happened on a smaller scale OTL.) Washington is probably evacuated, but left garrisoned and remains in Union hands under a probably rather ineffective siege.
Do the Union even attack Maryland, or cross into Virginia at Harpers Ferry and keep the Potomac on their flank? Perhaps couple this with a naval landing in Southern Maryland and Annapolis, try to isolate the state from the rest of the Confederacy?
How about the Confederates? The position in Maryland is tenuous, but the potential rewards are enormous. Not only do they strike a symbolic blow by capturing DC, but they can take the industrial powerhouse of Baltimore, which I believe was one of the two or three biggest centers of industry in the entire country at the time. Also, there's the Naval Academy at Annapolis.
Still, its army is small and untested at this point. Do they take the risk and fortify MD?
Anyone see any different possibilities? I'm extremely curious to know what people think. Also, if this has been discussed before, could you please point me in the direction of that discussion?
Thanks

I can't see the Union letting the state in which their capital is located in secede. Not only would that make things awfully precarious for Washington, but it would also make them look horrible on the world stage and give the CSA a definite morale boost. Therefore, the most likely thing I can see happening in Maryland is some form of guerrilla warfare. Once the state legislature secedes, the federal government declares them all traitors and moves to have them arrested. A number of them may escape to the South, but I can see most of them being caught.

After that, the feds would flood Baltimore, Washington, and other cities with federal troops. I can especially see Washington under a flood of blue. The US might evacuate their Congressmen and President to a more habitable state--say, Pennsylvania--but there would be an incredibly strong Union presence in Maryland until the end of the war. Because of that, I can see the secessionists taking to the hills and the smaller towns in Maryland and fighting hit-and-run battles with federal soldiers that overwhelmingly outnumber them. This would, of course, lead to Union reprisals, etc. etc. etc.

The long and short of it is that Maryland would not be a good, happy place to live during the 1860s.

The Confederates wouldn't need to TAKE Baltimore, simply to hold it, which I assume the Maryland militia would be doing as a priority ?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I suppose that depends on what Union troops are in the area. The troops involved in the Baltimore Riots were New Englanders for instance. There weren't that many troops at the start of the war, but they were all heading towards DC.
The militia could easily destroy the bridge over the Susquehanna to keep the city from being reinforced, and if I were a Union sympathizer in Bmore I think the writing on the wall would be pretty clear: escape while you can. Maybe head to Annapolis or DC?
Still, the navy might ferry them across in a few days' time. The resources of the Navy are close at hand, and this makes river crossing easier for the Union, and supplying the front from the Confederacy quite difficult. The only bridges across the Potomac are at DC and Harper's Ferry, both surely in Union hands.
And cutting the Susq. bridge only stops the flow of men from New England, New York, New Jersey and east Pennsylvania. All other troops are coming from the west of the river, and the undoubtedly pro-Union west of Maryland is surely going to aid them at least as far as Hagerstown.
As far as I can see it does the militia no good just holding Baltimore; it's not particularly defensible, and as an industrial center it's no help unless the South can access it. At the time, you'd have Union troops holding all the bridgeheads on the Potomac, the Union navy swarming in the Chesapeake, and the makings of the future Army of the Potomac bearing down on them from the northeast and northwest, delayed optimistically one month while they regroup across the terrain and strategize.
I suppose what I would do is try to take out DC as quickly as possible to link up with the Virginians, then move on Annapolis to worry the navy. Meanwhile leave the mob to take care of Baltimore, hoping that the Union treats it gingerly to buy time.
After this I might push on Harpers Ferry, hoping to safeguard Virginia and use it as a base to raid Western MD, cutting the rail links from the western states. This might divert the Union from their attempts at Bmore.
Meanwhile, if the Union does attack Baltimore, it'll be house-to-house fighting, with somewhere between 10-30,000 Baltimorans in the fray.

I can't see the Union letting the state in which their capital is located in secede. Not only would that make things awfully precarious for Washington, but it would also make them look horrible on the world stage and give the CSA a definite morale boost. Therefore, the most likely thing I can see happening in Maryland is some form of guerrilla warfare. Once the state legislature secedes, the federal government declares them all traitors and moves to have them arrested. A number of them may escape to the South, but I can see most of them being caught.

After that, the feds would flood Baltimore, Washington, and other cities with federal troops. I can especially see Washington under a flood of blue. The US might evacuate their Congressmen and President to a more habitable state--say, Pennsylvania--but there would be an incredibly strong Union presence in Maryland until the end of the war. Because of that, I can see the secessionists taking to the hills and the smaller towns in Maryland and fighting hit-and-run battles with federal soldiers that overwhelmingly outnumber them. This would, of course, lead to Union reprisals, etc. etc. etc.

The long and short of it is that Maryland would not be a good, happy place to live during the 1860s.

Yes, clearly MD seceding would be bad for the Union, but then Northern Virginia was not a good, happy place to live during the 1860s OTL.
This is why Lincoln put the state under martial law for the duration of the war and shut down the state legislature before it could even vote on secession.
But if MD secedes early enough, there simply aren't many Union troops to be had, and they all have to come from elsewhere. You're right, DC would clearly get the lion's share of reinforcement (though just to nitpick, DC is not a part of MD.) The question is can they make it into the city in significant numbers before the lines are cut?
The navy could ferry them in from up and down the coast, but then you're just reinforcing a besieged city.

Anyone put into the equation of the Eastern Shore/Delmarva Peninsula?

Well I personally was not around on the Eastern Shore during this time, but we would have a somewhat divided Eastern Shore of Maryland. On one hand there are slavery supporters, on the other hand, their is just opposition to Baltimore, which may turn things around into a Delmarva or East Virginia state.
Forces out of Delaware could seize things in the East Shore, yet still capabale of guerrilla forces messing things in.
In the Gettysburg series (Grant Comes East) it does mention Pro-Union Marylanders of the General Assembly fleeing over to the Eastern Shore, but does not go far into it.

Anyone put into the equation of the Eastern Shore/Delmarva Peninsula?

Well I personally was not around on the Eastern Shore during this time, but we would have a somewhat divided Eastern Shore of Maryland. On one hand there are slavery supporters, on the other hand, their is just opposition to Baltimore, which may turn things around into a Delmarva or East Virginia state.
Forces out of Delaware could seize things in the East Shore, yet still capabale of guerrilla forces messing things in.
In the Gettysburg series (Grant Comes East) it does mention Pro-Union Marylanders of the General Assembly fleeing over to the Eastern Shore, but does not go far into it.

Considering it's all large agricultural plantations on the Eastern Shore, I would think they would be 1) overwhelmingly sympathetic to the Confederacy and 2) just as easily overwhelmed by even a token force from Delaware. Though maybe MD going confed pushes Delaware over the edge as well?
I don't think the Eastern Shore is substantial enough to be its own state; I suppose if things go bad for the Union and they have to sue for peace they might be able to claim Delmarva as a state. The western counties might join West Virginia as well.
(Side note: MD really should've asked for VA's Eastern Shore counties as the price for staying in the Union, if for no other reason than I find them geographically annoying :p)

Considering it's all large agricultural plantations on the Eastern Shore, I would think they would be 1) overwhelmingly sympathetic to the Confederacy and 2) just as easily overwhelmed by even a token force from Delaware.
Sympathys on the Eastern Shore and Delaware were about 60/40 US/CSA
Also, while Susseex county was sympathetic to the CSA, and even sent some troops to fight in the CS Army(The "Delaware Grays")the CS sentiment was outweighed by the Union sentiment in New Castle county, and Wilmington, which had close ties to Phillidelphia, and didnt want to lose those to a downstate secession movement led by what they saw as backwoods bumpkins.
Also there werw only about 1000 slaves in DE at the time, and the majority were down here in Sussex, with like 100 in Kent, and less than 10 in New Castle, and most of those were probably down near the Kent border.

Though maybe MD going confed pushes Delaware over the edge as well?
This is actually quite likley, there is acually a whole book written on the subject, called, oddly enough "Delaware in the Civil War"
In the book it says that the politicians from Delaware siad, baisicaly
"We were the first state to join the Union, therefore we will be the last state to leave it." But, they also had close ties to MD, considering it a sister state, and if MD had secceded, DE most likley would have as well.

I don't think the Eastern Shore is substantial enough to be its own state; I suppose if things go bad for the Union and they have to sue for peace they might be able to claim Delmarva as a state. The western counties might join West Virginia as well.
Hmm, no matter how good the war goes for the CSA, I see DE becoming a CS state as totaly ASB. Whille they might seccede, the Union still gets it back in 1864/5, and,well, lets just say I wouldnt want to live in my home state at that point.

(Side note: MD really should've asked for VA's Eastern Shore counties as the price for staying in the Union, if for no other reason than I find them geographically annoying :p
Amen to that!
I've never quitew understood why Accomack and Northampton are even a part of VA,on the local news they are allways complaining that the goverment in Richmond overlooks them and their needs, and there is a movement form the to hook up with MD even today.

Hmm, no matter how good the war goes for the CSA, I see DE becoming a CS state as totaly ASB. Whille they might seccede, the Union still gets it back in 1864/5, and,well, lets just say I wouldnt want to live in my home state at that point.

I meant it's more likely that the Union could have occupied the Delmarva peninsula even in a Confederate victory scenario, and negotiated for the whole region to remain in the union as one state. Of course if this happens and the western counties of MD break off to join WV, that doesn't leave much of a state left in the middle. Ah well, it'd still be bigger than Rhode Island.

If Maryland leaves I think that the Union will reconsider the entire war. I think Lincoln (or someone on his cabinet?) said that if 8-9 states leave the rebellion would fall apart, if 12-13 states leave it would be a success, and anything in between would be a war. I would also be interested in how Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Arizona, and others would react.

If Maryland leaves I think that the Union will reconsider the entire war. I think Lincoln (or someone on his cabinet?) said that if 8-9 states leave the rebellion would fall apart, if 12-13 states leave it would be a success, and anything in between would be a war. I would also be interested in how Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Arizona, and others would react.
New Mexico and Arizona werent states yet, there were still the single territory of New Mexico.
I've heard somthing about the territorial governemnt declaring secession in 1861/2, but I dont know if its ture.

New Mexico and Arizona werent states yet, there were still the single territory of New Mexico.
I've heard somthing about the territorial governemnt declaring secession in 1861/2, but I dont know if its ture.
Tucson and the southern part of NM Terr. joined the CSA. They did this as Texas agreed to sent Cavalry to protect them from the Apaches. As soon as the California Column arrived Tucson unsucceded:D.

Yes all of present day AZ and NM with a portion of NV (known as the Arizona Strip*) were known as The New Mexico Territory until 1863 when it was split in two with the AZ Strip being stolen by the new state of Nevada.

* The Arizona Strip is that portion of Nevada south of a the line that would exist if you continued the AZ-Utah border west to California.

Tucson and the southern part of NM Terr. joined the CSA. They did this as Texas agreed to sent Cavalry to protect them from the Apaches. As soon as the California Column arrived Tucson unsucceded:D.

Yes all of present day AZ and NM with a portion of NV (known as the Arizona Strip*) were known as The New Mexico Territory until 1863 when it was split in two with the AZ Strip being stolen by the new state of Nevada.

* The Arizona Strip is that portion of Nevada south of a the line that would exist if you continued the AZ-Utah border west to California.
With Nevada ...

Not Becoming a State Until 1864, Right ...

Battle Born and All that?

If Maryland secedes, the Gov't will surely move to New York/Hartford, b/c of the proximity of CSA militia. However Anapolis will still be kept for as long as possible. Remember Fort Sumter?

Would DC become the capital of the CSA then, to bring loyalty to Maryland and Virginia?

What about the Naval Academy's future, and direction of graduating classes?

How will the Union strategy change?

The CSA said that,even if they captured DC, they would never make it the capital.
Daivs said somthing about DC "rotting like the evvvviiiiill yankes"
Of coruse, I paraphrase....:p

If Maryland secedes, the Gov't will surely move to New York/Hartford, b/c of the proximity of CSA militia. However Anapolis will still be kept for as long as possible. Remember Fort Sumter?

Would DC become the capital of the CSA then, to bring loyalty to Maryland and Virginia?

What about the Naval Academy's future, and direction of graduating classes?

How will the Union strategy change?

Except Annapolis isn't exactly a fortress. The town is just a town and the Academy is basically a university. Granted it's all so close to sea level you could have the navy bombard any troops advancing up the causeways, but I have a feeling they won't try to save Annapolis, as it's not a strategic resource. Fort Sumter was blocking a harbor and couldn't serve that purpose any better than where it was. You could re-form the Naval Academy elsewhere.
Just looking through wikipedia, Eagleswood has promise as a temporary facility. If they did have to move permanently, I'd put it on Long Island Sound. It's relatively sheltered, and it puts more military resources close to New York City, which is a bit riot-happy in these times.
If DC isn't going to be a seat of government I'm completely perplexed as to what you do with it. Certainly the railroad and the navigable river make it somewhat important, but I see the city shrinking significantly after the war.
And then of course you've got these government buildings sitting there vacant. Two possibilities: one is that MD moves its seat to DC, which is fairly ridiculous considering the scale of DC and the size of MD. The second is some good ol'-fashioned plundering, Venetian-style. Entire buildings are shipped south, some to Richmond, maybe some to state capitals.
Maybe after the war each Confederate governor comes to Lee's mansion at Arlington, and they take it in turns to point at buildings to have them removed stone-by-stone and sent south to decorate lesser cities.:mad::(

I wonder if at some point pressure is exerted either accidentally or purposefully on the western theater (KY and TN). If so, the Union still stands a good chance of winning.

Unless of course the actions of Maryland prompted Kentucky to join the CSA (rather than split and join both).

Maryland succeeding early enough to avoid Lincoln's efforts to hold the state in the Union seems unlikely, given the trend of the Upper South shying away from secession until Lincoln calls for volunteers and thus threatens invasion.

If Maryland leaves I think it throws KY into genuine dispute and makes MO more likely to secede (domino effect would help). For military strategy, I think the Cumberland will become a major focus with Wheeling and Cumberland MD becoming major supply points. From there they will try to invade the Shenandoah while cutting off Baltimore and letting it starve. Railways to Washington will be a priority and Arlington will still be a graveyard. I think the war lasts 4-8 months longer and the CSA might occupy Washington briefly (<3 months if that) but it would be so early in the war that it would have little impact on the outcome. Of course, there is a chance that Pennsylvania would be more open as a battlefield for CS raiders and maybe even a full battle, but it would remain the exception, not the rule.