War of 1812 Prolonged

What if Britain rebuffed America's attempts at peace in late 1814 & decided to continue the war. Afterall it seemed that Napoleon had been defeated &, even though Napoleon made his 100 days come-back, he was nevertheless soon defeated at Waterloo. Britain thus decides that a number of things have to be settled with the United States once & for all, & that the US must pay high reparations for starting the war...

So how does the war continue & what battles can we expect?

Considering Britain's territorial claims, what may this AH USA look like after the war?

Or can the US push the British back? If so, what does Canada look like as a result?

Anything else?

If the British really decide to prosecute the war against the US to the full extent of their resources things are going to look very bad the US; Britain was still able to stave off the invasion of Canada and sack the US capital while focusing most of their attention on Napoleon after all. Against the full might of an undistracted Britain at the height of its power I doubt the US is going to come out ahead.

On the other hand, the British are exhausted after the long war with France, which was the main reason they were so eager for peace in OTL. If they choose to continue the war I doubt the British would push for much beyond making enough gains to clearly prove themselves the victors before settling for peace.

The British of 1815 are tired of war and news of an American victory at New Orleans will give them better position at the bargaining table, I doubt the US gains anythng more than they did in OTL. They *might* get Pacific Canada/Oregon claims, but not much else without another major battle or British desperation to end the war. If the UK decides to put the boot down, we lose much of New England, perhaps with Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and possibly even Massachusetts and Rhode Island becoming British or independent. The resulting US would have a longer term of slavery, and the Civil War might be delayed or avoided altogether. We might also have a future where much of Canada west of Sudbury becomes part of the US and expeditions into Central America and the Caribbean become more prominent, and anti-UK sentiment leads to a closer relationship with Germany down the road.

What about the Hartford Convention? In OTL, it was disgraced and collapsed when the peace treaty, which was spun into a sort of victory came through just as the convention made its demands on the Federal Government. If the war drags on, New England Secession might actually happen. The victory at New Orleans would dampen secessionist sentiment, but later defeats elsewhere might blow it up again.

Even if New England does not secede, eventual U.S. defeat is certain as long as the Brits are willing to keep it up, but the peace will inevitably lead to a revanchist USA spoiling for another round. As the relative strengths of the countries shift, this could mean bad things down the road for Britain.

What about the Hartford Convention? In OTL, it was disgraced and collapsed when the peace treaty, which was spun into a sort of victory came through just as the convention made its demands on the Federal Government. If the war drags on, New England Secession might actually happen. The victory at New Orleans would dampen secessionist sentiment, but later defeats elsewhere might blow it up again.

Even if New England does not secede, eventual U.S. defeat is certain as long as the Brits are willing to keep it up, but the peace will inevitably lead to a revanchist USA spoiling for another round. As the relative strengths of the countries shift, this could mean bad things down the road for Britain.
I'm Seeing an Independent New England Federation, Which May Ultimately Include The Canadian Maritime Provinces ...

Becoming The Battleground for an Allied Britain Defending Against a Slave-Holding USA ...

Can you Say American Civil War Writ Large?

So the British are going all out in 1815? Doesn't that mean Napoleon wins at Waterloo and kills the Duke of Wellington because too many British troops are in North America?:eek:

Once that happens the question is what won't the British concede to end the war with the US.:(

I'm Seeing an Independent New England Federation, Which May Ultimately Include The Canadian Maritime Provinces ...

Becoming The Battleground for an Allied Britain Defending Against a Slave-Holding USA ...

Can you Say American Civil War Writ Large?
Or Decades of Darkness. :D

So the British are going all out in 1815? Doesn't that mean Napoleon wins at Waterloo and kills the Duke of Wellington because too many British troops are in North America?:eek:

Once that happens the question is what won't the British concede to end the war with the US.:(

Actually the British go after the USA after Waterloo. In other words they wait until Napoleon is finally defeated.

Nice try though Grimmy ;)

Ah, but London was weary after a mere 26 years of war.

Besides, they had already won the war with the US. Remember who started the war as a land grab against Canada?:D

We could really steam the Brits and free Napolean from St Helena and having him play for our side.

Or eternally PO them if we drop him in Scotland...:eek:

We could really steam the Brits and free Napolean from St Helena and having him play for our side.

Or eternally PO them if we drop him in Scotland...:eek:

America barely had the Naval resources to defend their own coastline. How do you suggest they'd be able to travel to St. Helena and free Napoleon which was a deep British Naval base.

It would really require a war too much longer.
With Britain's full force against the US any form of regular resistance would quickly disintegrate.
The UK would still likely be easy on the US in the peace though- economic interests wanted a strong US to trade with.
I'd agree a breakaway New England could be likely though even before the peace.

corourke

Donor
It seems to me that the concessions the British would force would be out west -- Oregon territory and perhapschunks of the Louisiana Purchase. It's much less likely that Britain will demand New England, because there's simply no way the US would accept the loss of those states, especially in 1812.

Kaptin Kurk

Banned
A lot depends on whether or not the Americans have the will to go guerilla, like their father's did, although with France on her knees (and presumably staying there) and no other European powers willing to bite Britain in the back (would there be) things would still be quite grim for the Americans. New England going independent is likely, and crippling, although I could see a re-unification after the war....which might have ramifications for a civil war (I.E., legitimizing secession....but also creating a precident for re-unification after tempers have cooled, i.e., Lincoln wins - maybe - South goes independent. North doesn't fight...within two years a new Convention is called to negotiate re-union)

If the war continues than America in the long run is most probally screwed, but why continue the war? There really is not too much to gain from the war.

It would really require a war too much longer.
With Britain's full force against the US any form of regular resistance would quickly disintegrate.
The UK would still likely be easy on the US in the peace though- economic interests wanted a strong US to trade with.
I'd agree a breakaway New England could be likely though even before the peace.

That's it wouldn't need the war to go on much longer....I miss out words a lot lately.

Fortunately the people and government of England were exhausted after all those years of fighting in Europe and were as favorable to more warfare as they were to a law requiring the inclusion of a live scorpion in every pair of pants sold in England.

Otherwise a moderate effort by the UK would have been quite disastrous for the US. I started a TL where the US is better prepared and manages to take most of Canada and do more harm at sea before the US Navy (inevitably) goes down, then the British decide to set the matters straight in 1815, sending a strong fleet and 60,000 troops over after Waterloo. Yikes!:eek:

Britain doesn't car enough to do this but allowing by act of thread that they do then they would go for what they did OTL.

1815 would see a British attack and occupy Sacketts harbour.
The winter would see Erie attacked and the fleet there destroyed.

The British would build a fleet for operation on Champlain.

The British would also take another shot at new Orleans to erase the stain upon their honour.

The US would introduce an income tax or face a collapse of government finances, either way the populace won't be happy.

Peace comes sometime in 1816 with Britain taking part of Maine, Michigan, upstate New York (plus the Niagara region) and possibly a border running towards the Rocky mountains at a lower latitude.