Earlier Israeli King

Keenir

Banned
What if, after his victories against the Midianites, Gideon is proclaimed a king by the men of his tribe and the other tribes who had fought under him?

Assuming that the other tribes accepted his overlordship, then Gideon might have made a good king. Although he had proven himself in battle and men obviously were willing to follow, effectively leading that fractious bunch known as the Children of Israel would be a task that try the patience of Job. Gideon would be a better king than Saul, who was probably a manic depressive. Samuel made a booboo when he anointed this man. [And for all you skeptics, please refrain from claiming that Gideon, et al. didn't exist. For the moment, let's assume that Judges and Samuel have some historic reality.]

This is somewhat ASB. Israel was...*goes to check bible* Gideon became judge, and I doubt that he'd purposely destroy the system that gave him power.

This is somewhat ASB. Israel was...*goes to check bible* Gideon became judge, and I doubt that he'd purposely destroy the system that gave him power.

Unless of course "promotion" would give him even more power.

There is another issue, all the warriors Gideon "sacked". Yes, he might claim that it was the word of the Lord, but there would be a lot of men who would be peeved that they were there when the Midianite were defeated because of Gideon's right sandal up their backside. And it is on record that the Tribe of Ephraim weren't exactly pleased with Gideon the Judge. If faced with Gideon the King they might go beyond words.

Keenir

Banned
Israel was...*goes to check bible* Gideon became judge, and I doubt that he'd purposely destroy the system that gave him power.

how did the system change in OTL? (seriously, I'd like to know)

There is another issue, all the warriors Gideon "sacked". Yes, he might claim that it was the word of the Lord, but there would be a lot of men who would be peeved that they were there when the Midianite were defeated because of Gideon's right sandal up their backside. And it is on record that the Tribe of Ephraim weren't exactly pleased with Gideon the Judge. If faced with Gideon the King they might go beyond words.

hm.

I figured Gideon's Kingdom of Israel wouldn't have all the tribes -- but the Tribe of Ephraim might break away from the Kingdom and form their own, drawing other tribes of Israel into them. A shorter "united" period, true.

Hm, maybe Saul ends up as the Uniter of the Kingdoms.

see i try to stay away from this sort of thing, cause im christian and speculating on the Bible is a little verboten, buut the system changed (in response to Keenir's question) cause the people of Israel basically badgered God into it (1 Samuel 8), and a really gruesome crime forced the people of israel to want one (Judges 19 - 21). The crime according to the Bible had no direct effect on the Israelites wanting a king, but my personal feeling is that its there in the Bible as a sort of lead up to the israelites wanting a king by showing the chaos that was endemic in israel before the kings took control. Hope this helps explain the reasons why the kings came to be.

how did the system change in OTL? (seriously, I'd like to know)
The Israelites asked god for a king. Why? Well, the bible says that they got jealous of all of the other civilizations because they had kings. At least, that's what the good book says.