The Falklands War...in 1770

Thande

Donor
Some details here

A decent POD might perhaps be an earlier death or incapacitation of Louis XV, as Choiseul wanted war but was dismissed by the King.

What I find most interesting is what would happen in America in the event of such a war, as all the troubles of the 1760s were coming to a head. Do the Americans reunite behind the Crown if there's a war with France and Spain, at least for a while (especially if the French and Spanish raid the American coast and the colonials decide it might be quite a good idea to pay taxes for defence after all :D ), or, alternatively, do they use the war as an opportunity to declare independence?

And who do you think would emerge victorious, the Franco-Spanish or the British? Bearing in mind that 10 years later in OTL the Franco-Spanish (and Dutch) were quite successful against a Royal Navy complacent after the victories of the Seven Years' War. And does that depend on what the Americans do? I suspect they'd be less likely to want to side with France and Spain if France and Spain were already fighting Britain before American independence, but I suppose they could just try and declare independence with neutrality and hope the war distracts Britain enough to prevent us doing anything about it...