Jewish Russia?

I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but I have to ask about it. According to the Primary Chronicle, Vladimir I sent groups of diplomats out to investigate Eastern and Western Christianity, Islam, and Judaism; the ones sent to Constantinople gave the most favorable report, so he converted his people to Easern Orthodox. Now, I know that it was the most likely religion for him to convert to, with the Byzantines as trading partners and his grandmother having been a convert, but what if he had chosen Judaism? I'd think it wouldn't made much of a difference until Russia came into contact with the West, where a stable Jewish state, never mind one as big as Russia, might change history considerably. Perhaps a Crusade, or a similar war, into Russia? Or maybe Judaism becoming the dominant religion throughout Eastern Europe?

Its a lot more difficult that that. For one, I recall that most Eastern Europeans at the time hated Jews. For another, size doesn't mean power. Just because you have a big country, doesn't mean the other countries are impressed by it.

Perhaps the Khazar Khanate has a more complete conversion to Judaism? From the late 800's on, you get a great number of Jewish merchants, missionaries, etc. coming to the nascent Principality of 'Rus, giving them a leg up on the Muslims and Christians...hmm. How big were the early Russians on pork?

Borders wars existed OTL between the Poles and their Orthodox neighbors to the east, and I don't see this being particularly worse or better in the pre-Crusades era: it's not like they're going to get much help from the Germans or the French. I dunno how much their cultural isolation is going to hurt them in the first couple centuries - what did Russian "military tech" look like 1000 AD compared to it's neighbors? How much had it advanced by the 1200's?

Assuming we haven't butterflied away the Mongol invasions, Russia should look rather ripe for crusading Teutonic Knights and Poles after the 1240's (and then there's those pesky Lithuanians. What odds they convert to Judaism early in this TL to get allies against the Baltic crusade?). It's hard to say how well they'll do - again, I'm not sure how much their cultural isolation from both the Christian and Muslim worlds will retard their military skills compared to OTL. (I'll note that OTL, the Russians being "fellow Christians" didn't prevent the Knights from trying to take Novgorod. Indeed, will they crusade against Jewish Russia that much more energetically than against "heretical" Russia? The Ottoman empire OTL got along even worse with Shi'as than it did with Christians.)

Jewish legal and political influences: will a Russia under a Jewish monarch undergo the sort of devolution that it did OTL? Is there anything in medieval Jewish law and tradition that might push for primogeniture? (And we haven't even considered what a more solidly Jewish Kazhar state might come up with in terms of modifications of Jewish tradition, being an established state with needs rather different than a Diaspora. Quite possibly the Judaism of "Jewish Russia" is different enough that the Jews of Europe condemn it as heresy.)

BTW, Russia wasn't that "big" a country until recent times - geographically extensive, yes, but very thinly populated. Historical estimates are that the population of European Russia (including the Ukraine) didn't surpass France until the 18th century.

If Russia survives the 13th and 14th centuries to reemerge as a united kingdom, it may not be that different from OTL: a terribly backward and isolated state, looked upon perhaps like Safavid Persia - a useful ally against the Turk. (Thought: Russia reunified not by Moscow, but by a Jewish Lithuanian dynasty?) Whether it can ever overcome the severe cultural barriers to modernizing with European help as Russia did OTL, that's another question. (Although it's hard to see a Jewish Priest-King looking back to the glories of Solomonic Israel doing a Peter the Great in the shipyards of Amsterdam, Peter was hardly the model of a Byzantine emperor himself).

All rather improbable, perhaps. But I will admit to being tickled pink by a mental image of King Peter III of Russia leading an invasion of the Ottoman empire in the 1850's to liberate Jerusalem and rebuild the temple...

Bruce

Keenir

Banned
Perhaps the Khazar Khanate has a more complete conversion to Judaism? From the late 800's on, you get a great number of Jewish merchants, missionaries, etc. coming to the nascent Principality of 'Rus, giving them a leg up on the Muslims and Christians...hmm. How big were the early Russians on pork?
*sigh* why do so many people assume that _pork_ (of all things) would kill any deal? if pork is an obstacle, the Rus' will develop their own form of Judaism....one that allows the eating of pork.(there is precedent)
All rather improbable, perhaps. But I will admit to being tickled pink by a mental image of King Peter III of Russia leading an invasion of the Ottoman empire in the 1850's to liberate Jerusalem and rebuild the temple...

Bruce

Tsar Peter III of Russia and Jerusalem. neat.

Interesting TL, but I don't see it realistically happening. I wonder what WWI and WWII would look like if Russia was an eminent Jewish power in the world. And what about the Communists, too?

Interesting TL, but I don't see it realistically happening. I wonder what WWI and WWII would look like if Russia was an eminent Jewish power in the world. And what about the Communists, too?
Gaaaah! WWI, WWII, Communism, basically everything, is different with such a POD. A early mistake in AH is to assume that nothing changes when you change something

Valdemar II

Banned
a Jewish ruler could still claim a right to rule derived from Rome.

They could still claim both it would not be taken serious by anyone, and seen as a big joke. Plus a Jewish Russia would lack the bond to roman adminstration Othodocs Russia had. It would be like a Indian (muslim) Prince taking the title Caesar.

Its a lot more difficult that that. For one, I recall that most Eastern Europeans at the time hated Jews. For another, size doesn't mean power. Just because you have a big country, doesn't mean the other countries are impressed by it.
According to this (in Russian) there were some slavs who converted to Judaism.

Keenir

Banned
They could still claim both it would not be taken serious by anyone, and seen as a big joke.

nobody laughed when the Ottomans took the title Caesar (from their Roman holdings) or any of the titles from pre-Islamic Persia.

Plus a Jewish Russia would lack the bond to roman adminstration Othodocs Russia had.

I thought we were talking about Russia, not Constantinople. :rolleyes:

It would be like a Indian (muslim) Prince taking the title Caesar.

no it wouldn't...because neither India nor the Mughals has any tie to Rome. whereas both the Jews and Russia* did.

* = tenuously as the OTL claim of "the Third Rome" was.

Valdemar II

Banned
nobody laughed when the Ottomans took the title Caesar (from their Roman holdings) or any of the titles from pre-Islamic Persia.

They would if the ottomans had taken title emperor of China

I thought we were talking about Russia, not Constantinople. :rolleyes:

The Othodocts faith was part of late Roman Adminstration

no it wouldn't...because neither India nor the Mughals has any tie to Rome. whereas both the Jews and Russia* did..

Neither did the Jews except as subjects of the Roman Empirer.

* = tenuously as the OTL claim of "the Third Rome" was.
It was as tenuously as the Ottomans

Keenir

Banned
They would if the ottomans had taken title emperor of China

:confused:

WTF ? why are you making strawmen?? the thread is about if a Jewish man, ruling Russia, can claim what pagans (and later on, Muslims and Christians) did in OTL.

The Othodocts faith was part of late Roman Adminstration

really? in Gaul and Iberia?

Neither did the Jews except as subjects of the Roman Empirer.

the Catholics were nothing more than subjects of the Roman Emperor, also...and yet they ended up ruling the successor states.

It was as tenuously as the Ottomans

and yet they lost it to nobody.

Valdemar II

Banned
:confused:

WTF ? why are you making strawmen?? the thread is about if a Jewish man, ruling Russia, can claim what pagans (and later on, Muslims and Christians) did in OTL..

Pagans never made that claim (outside Roman territorium), and I have never heard about muslims in Russia who made that claim

:really? in Gaul and Iberia?.
Yes of course, many serious historian call all christianity catholic and Orthodocts presplit christianity Orthodocts.

:the Catholics were nothing more than subjects of the Roman Emperor, also...and yet they ended up ruling the successor states..

Really I think the Roman Emperors after Constantin (with the proto-neo-pagan exception) would be surprised to hear that

:and yet they lost it to nobody.

the words have meaning but their are no contect:confused: