Germany with Denmark

How could we, during the time of German Unifacation, could we get a Denmark that is part of the German Empire. What effects would such an aquisition have on the rest of the world.

How could we, during the time of German Unifacation, could we get a Denmark that is part of the German Empire. What effects would such an aquisition have on the rest of the world.

Have Bismarck go for all of Denmark not just the duchies.
Germany would get her highquality navy early. That would open up for Germany in the Caribbean - West Indies and in the Indian Ocean - Nicobar Islands as well as the OTL colonies.
Could make for some interesting WWI when it occurs.:D

I guess the US would snatch Danish Caribbea instead of letting it go to a new superpower.

But other for the navy (which Germany could get without annexing Denmark too), it wouldn't be worth it - the Danes wouldn't like to live under German rule and might rebel (maybe in the equivalent of TTL 1866 and 1871).

I guess the US would snatch Danish Caribbea instead of letting it go to a new superpower.

But other for the navy (which Germany could get without annexing Denmark too), it wouldn't be worth it - the Danes wouldn't like to live under German rule and might rebel (maybe in the equivalent of TTL 1866 and 1871).

Denmark joined Germany = Superpower, I knew we were underrated!!!
But they'd get the naval tradition as a bonus. Anyone can build ships and set sail...
Depends upon how they'd be treated. If treated nicely - a little better than Slesvig, they might just bow heads and comply. Treated like Alsace-Moselle - probably revolt when given the opportunity and perhaps supported by the Swedes. You know - Scandinavism.

Last edited:
I guess the US would snatch Danish Caribbean instead of letting it go to a new superpower.

Why? How do they justify this? Wouldn't that mean war with Germany, which I have a hard time seeing the US do just a few years after the Civil War for just a tiny group of Carribean islands?

...it would really give germany an advantage during the great war...they would totally control the baltic and have a larger population base to draw soldier from, not to mention food and other resources too...it could just be enough to "break" to the balance and give the Central Powers the upper hand...

now here is a thing for thought...what would have happened if somehow Switzerland could have been joined with germany too...

...it would really give germany an advantage during the great war...they would totally control the baltic and have a larger population base to draw soldier from, not to mention food and other resources too...it could just be enough to "break" to the balance and give the Central Powers the upper hand...

now here is a thing for thought...what would have happened if somehow Switzerland could have been joined with germany too...

If WWI wasn't butterflied away, which seems likely to me.

Perhaps WWI specifically would have been butterflied away, but with the entagling alliance systems a major war sometime in the late 19th or early 20th century was all but inevitable. Assuming that the blocs remain similar to OTL, if Germany had both Denmark and Switzerland as part of the Reich, it mmight be enough to tip the balance.

Perhaps WWI specifically would have been butterflied away, but with the entagling alliance systems a major war sometime in the late 19th or early 20th century was all but inevitable. Assuming that the blocs remain similar to OTL, if Germany had both Denmark and Switzerland as part of the Reich, it mmight be enough to tip the balance.

It is pretty unlikely to take Switerland as who wants to invade a mountainous, heavily armed, neutral country?

That's far from reality. The Frontists (Swiss nazis/fascists) were kind of popular for some time, but the biggest success they ever had was 30% in one cantonal election. The Swiss neither wanted to fight for Hitler's Greater Germanic Empire nor give up their century-old democracy.

Susano

Banned
That's far from reality. The Frontists (Swiss nazis/fascists) were kind of popular for some time, but the biggest success they ever had was 30% in one cantonal election. The Swiss neither wanted to fight for Hitler's Greater Germanic Empire nor give up their century-old democracy.

Err... you know Im a great fan of the Swiss democracy model, but lets not get overboard. At the time when that happened, Swiss democracy wasnt even a single century old.
And, yes, the Frontists were Nazis, but pretty much Swiss Nazis.

if germany absorbed denmark they would most certanitly gain Greenland and Iceland. i think the United States wouldnt be so happy with German territory so close to their waters. would this contradict the monroe doctrine for im not sure. this would also make the british more fearful for more ports=stronger navy.

...if germany has control of greenland for several years before the ww2 the war of the North Atlantic might have gone differently...with air power over most of the ocean.at least for a while

if germany absorbed denmark they would most certanitly gain Greenland and Iceland. i think the United States wouldnt be so happy with German territory so close to their waters. would this contradict the monroe doctrine for im not sure. this would also make the british more fearful for more ports=stronger navy.

The Monroe doctrine only deals with the establishment of new colonies in the Americas, not the transfer of existing colonies to another European Power. Besides, as I pointed out earlier if Germany takes over Denmark during the 1864 war then the US is going to be a bit distracted by the civil war they're fighting to do much about Germany getting the Danish West Indies.

If the US did want to get rough about enforcing the Monroe Doctrine, the French invasion of Mexico and Spanish invasion of the Dominican Republic were both going on at this time, and were both very blatant violations of the Monroe doctrine that would be far more likely to provoke some sort of reaction.

...if germany has control of greenland for several years before the ww2 the war of the North Atlantic might have gone differently...with air power over most of the ocean.at least for a while

It might just not come to that - the WWI peace treaty would see to that. German u-boat bases in southern Greenland and Iceland in WWI!!!
The Allies might just re-create Denmark to get rid of that in the future.

It might just not come to that - the WWI peace treaty would see to that. German u-boat bases in southern Greenland and Iceland in WWI!!!
The Allies might just re-create Denmark to get rid of that in the future.

Assuming they win;)

Or, assuming that such a war even takes place.