WI Texas stays in the Union in ACW?

Last one about this for tonight, I pormise, but just finished watching ken brun's the civil war, and it gave me ideas.
So anyway, in 1861 when the Deep South seceeded, Texas wanted to join them, but their govenor, Sam Houston, was against it; anyway, houston was deposed as govenor, and Texas secceeded anyway........
But, What if Houston had stayed in power? Would Texas have stayed in the Union? Or perhaps might have they seceeded and Re-formed the Republic of Texas?

Jasen777

Donor
1861 is too late to keep Texas from doing anything other than joining the Confederacy. Sam Houston can't stop them. He was only dumped after they had seceded after all.

of all the CSA states, TX is the least likely to vote against secession... they voted in favor of it by a larger margin than any of the other states...

Even with Sam Houston as governor, I think TX would have seceded. Houston probably would have blocked any procedures against the vote on secession if he could, but he would probably have been deposed by the secessionists.

Because the anti-slave people refused to come out and vote. They thought it was illegal.

I would be interested in the source for this

I had heard that Texas was the Southern state where there was least doubt that most white guys wanted sessession, but do not know the details.

If there was a significant movement that opposed slavery and therefore sessession which chose to boycott (I know the word did not exist in the 1860s but the concept did) the sessession vote was there a chance that they could have won.

That would make this something other than ASB whcih was my first thought on seeing the heading.

By the way if a potential majority decided to boycott a vote it says something about their political managment skills.

of all the CSA states, TX is the least likely to vote against secession... they voted in favor of it by a larger margin than any of the other states...

Wasn't Texas the only Confederate state that didn't have a regiment of its citizens fighting for the North??

Jasen777

Donor
Ok, say that the Abolitionists in Texas decide to vote and vote against secession. What happens?

There were few abolitionists in Texas, and there was not enough pro-union people to make a difference if they all did show up.

DelawareConfederate said:
What if Texas sceededs anyway, and the abolitionists pull a West Virginia?

That would be difficult. West Virginia was in a good location to receive support from the Union. The only region that was majority pro-Union in Texas was part of the hill country that was heavily German settled (with whom there were some "incidents"). They're not in a position to receive outside help.

That would be difficult. West Virginia was in a good location to receive support from the Union. The only region that was majority pro-Union in Texas was part of the hill country that was heavily German settled (with whom there were some "incidents"). They're not in a position to receive outside help.
What if they recive help from, say Mexico, or one of the European nations?

Jasen777

Donor
Mexico has it's own problems (to put it nicely).

The region is not on the coast, and so would be difficult for any European country to help. Which would be weird for any European country to decide to do. And even then they only really have the numbers to be little more than a nuisance.

If you really want to mess up Texas during the Civil War the best thing to do might be the encourage the Comanches in West Texas (the Union is really the only one in position to do this and it's not exactly a precedent the want to encourage). They did push the Texas frontier back during the war since the army had to pull out of the border forts and so many of the Texan men were elsewhere.