The Ottoman Empire and The Victorious Central Powers

What would the Ottoman Empire look like if the central powers had won WW1. With its territory reclaimed would it be able to stave off its defeat, or still collapse just as it did in OTL?

They'd certainly get Russian border areas like Kars and Ardahan, and maybe Cyprus, the Dodecanes and Crete. Kuwait would an idea too.

What would the Ottoman Empire look like if the central powers had won WW1. With its territory reclaimed would it be able to stave off its defeat, or still collapse just as it did in OTL?

We've actually covered this in enormous detail in multiple past threads if you do a search.

It the CP won, how would the Ottomans be staving off defeat? By definition they have won.

The situation for the empire would depend upon when the victory occurred. If it's early, the Ottomans will end up with their territory in 1914, and will also probably get the Dodecanese back.

If it's later in the war, they will need to reestablish their authority in areas occupied or in rebellion, but these are very minor - the area around Basra, and the Hijaz. If Russia collapses, the Ottomans will gain probably gain Caucasian territory.

Under no conceivable circumstance will the empire collapse. People sat around for centuries waiting for the empire to collapse, but it never did, and had to have territory violently wrested from it. And it didn't "collapse" in OTL - politically and militarily it remained on its feat without interruption, although it did become a Republic - and that was largely because the British violated the Armistice and occupied Istanbul. In a victorious scenario, that won't happen.

The Brits had occupied large parts of the Ottoman Empire in 1918. Now if the Germans win by crushing the Allies in France - might the Brits support the Arabs to declare independence, to hurt the OE, similar as the Japanese did in WW2?

If the Ottomans won, there would be no Armenians left. Seriously? Why does everyone love the Ottomans so much? Just kill the stupid country!! If it lived, it would become wealthy with oil money, and maybe use that cash to move on to murdering the Kurds, or someone else they deside they don't like.

The Brits had occupied large parts of the Ottoman Empire in 1918. Now if the Germans win by crushing the Allies in France - might the Brits support the Arabs to declare independence, to hurt the OE, similar as the Japanese did in WW2?

Any peace settlement would have to be comprehensive and include Entente withrawal from all CP territory, including the Ottoman Empire. Once the war is over, there is no incentive for the British to antagonize the Ottomans - quite the opposite, as there is much to be gained by rebuilding relations to protect Britain's investments and rights to oil concessions - the British position in this regard in 1914 was very strong. As most of the elite considered joining the CP a huge mistake from the start, this should be too hard, and until 1918 the British didn't do anything that would permanently poison relations.

In any case, it would be very easy for the Ottomans to defeat any Arab revolts - the numbers involved were very small.

wouldnt they get egyptian and north african territories back from britain and france too?

I don't think so - Egypt was declared independent of the empire in 1914 and I don't see it returning to Ottoman control - but a victorious empire would certainly have a degree of influence there and this would encourage the Egyptians to remove themselves from British control.

Superdude

Banned
If the Ottomans won, there would be no Armenians left. Seriously? Why does everyone love the Ottomans so much? Just kill the stupid country!! If it lived, it would become wealthy with oil money, and maybe use that cash to move on to murdering the Kurds, or someone else they deside they don't like.

You are now ignored.

I don't think so - Egypt was declared independent of the empire in 1914 and I don't see it returning to Ottoman control - but a victorious empire would certainly have a degree of influence there and this would encourage the Egyptians to remove themselves from British control.

How about Libya then?

How about Libya then?

That's a good question - that would depend on what happened to Italy - if it stayed out, then it would keep it - if it entered on the side of the Entente and got badly smashed, then it might have to give it up. If it joined the Entente but didn't really get smacked, then it would probably just have to give up the Dodecanese. If the Hapsburgs were in occupation of large stretches of Venetia, Libya would probably have to be surrendered.

It might be a bit hard for the Ottomans to hold it - after failing to defend it in 1911, the peoples of Libya might have little use for them.

In any case, this would be an extremely low priority for anyone on the CP side, who would just want the war over. For the Ottomans, the Aegean is much more important, as is anything in the Caucasus.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
That's a good question - that would depend on what happened to Italy - if it stayed out, then it would keep it - if it entered on the side of the Entente and got badly smashed, then it might have to give it up. If it joined the Entente but didn't really get smacked, then it would probably just have to give up the Dodecanese. If the Hapsburgs were in occupation of large stretches of Venetia, Libya would probably have to be surrendered.

It might be a bit hard for the Ottomans to hold it - after failing to defend it in 1911, the peoples of Libya might have little use for them.

In any case, this would be an extremely low priority for anyone on the CP side, who would just want the war over. For the Ottomans, the Aegean is much more important, as is anything in the Caucasus.

Didn't the Senussi effectively boot the Italians out of all of Libya except for Tripoli and a few coastal enclaves during the war ?

Damn, I've forgotten the second part I was going to tag onto that...

Er... Having a stressful day !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I've wondered if the Germans would grab the Suez Canal area whilst allowing the Orromans to snatch the Sinai. These changes ofownership, however, would only happen if the Central Powers won definitively.

The Senusi and others - and after fending largely for themselves, it's hard to imagine them wanting Ottoman overlords back. Best case some sort of loose affiliation.

Didn't the Senussi effectively boot the Italians out of all of Libya except for Tripoli and a few coastal enclaves during the war ?

Damn, I've forgotten the second part I was going to tag onto that...

Er... Having a stressful day !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf