Aaron Burr's Texas

Here's a short TL I wrote up tell me what you think

Part I The Rebirth of Aaron Burr

Introduction
Upon the expiration of his term as Vice President of the United States, Aaron Burr found himself broken in fortune and virtually in exile from the states of New York and New Jersey. In desperation he fled to Philadelphia Pennsylvania and began earnestly seeking a way to emigrate from the United States and escape the reputation he had earned himself. It was in this spirit of desperation he met with Jonathan Payton, an old classmate from Princeton and began to set in place a series of events that would shake the continent to it’s core.

The Burr Plan
The centerpiece of Payton’s and Burr’s plan was a 40,000 acre plot of land in what was the Bastrop area of Spanish Texas leased to Aaron Burr. Burr hoped to take possession of the land and maintain an army with which to claim the land in the inevitability that the United States and Spain went to war. Moving in secret Burr gathered to himself a core group of followers and with the support of a number of higher officials Burr and his group of around 100 armed men crossed into Spanish Texas and took possession of the 40,000 acre property leased to Aaron Burr in 1806.

Aaron Burr’s Texas
Upon arriving in Texas, Burr found himself revitalized having escaped the emotional baggage he had left behind in the United States. Almost immediately Burr began preparing for what he saw as an inevitable war between Spain and the United States. Yet he was careful not to abandon the country he’d come from. Prior to arriving in Texas Burr had forged ties with the then governor of the Louisiana Territory, James Wilkinson. However Wilkinson soon found himself publicly criticized for his heavy handed governance of the territory. Through much persuasion on Aaron Burr’s part Wilkinson resigned from his post and migrated west to join Burr on his land in Texas to be replaced by Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame.

Yet even though Burr no longer had an ally in Louisiana to funnel him settlers and supplies the number of Anglo colonists continued to increase as word soon spread about ample land in Texas. It wasn’t long before Burr had attracted a veritable army of mercenaries and freebooters eager to gain lands in Mexico and Texas. The war of 1812 would also prove to be a boon to Burr seeing that soon after it’s conclusion numerous veterans would emigrate to Texas to join him there.

One thing that Burr did not expect to happen was the beginning of the Mexican war of Independence in 1810. Yet this revitalized Burr was quick to take advantage of it feeding the rebels with one hand and aiding the Spanish with the other. As a result of walking this razor thin line Burr was able to not only increase the number of Anglo settlers in Texas but weaken the Spanish regime at the same time.

For nearly 11 years the war waged on and off and as the years pressed on Burr’s position in Texas grew stronger and stronger as more and more Americans dissatisfied with the status quo arrived in Texas to secure the area. Finally in 1821 the Mexican war of independence reached it’s conclusion with Agustin D’Iturbide defeating the Spanish and signing the Treaty of Cordoba in which Spain recognized the independence of the new Mexican state.

Throughout all this, the aging Aaron Burr watched intently waiting for his moment to arrive. Finally as the months went on the Mexican nation declared itself a monarchy appointing Agustin D’Iturbide as the first Emperor of Mexico in a stop-gap measure until a European Monarch could be found to assume the throne. That of course was all Burr needed and soon after the Texan Revolution had begun.

The Texan Revolution
As the Mexican War of Independence began to wind down Aaron Burr began to prepare for what he saw as an excellent chance to recoup his fortunes. Upon holding the Convention of 1822 it was decided that the Republic of Texas would declare independence from the newly formed Empire of Mexico. Though the population of Texas was barely 10,000 people Burr had been preparing for the war since arriving in Texas and moreover was positive of American support.

Upon declaring independence from Mexico on August 1st 1822 Burr moved quickly mobilizing militia and convincing the majority of Mexican troops in Mexico to defect and join the fledgling Texan forces. Several garrisons refused however, resulting in the first few battles of the Texan War of Independence. Fresh from these victories Burr and his forces began to posit for US support however no official support came. Hundreds of volunteers however flocked to Texas to join their brothers in their battle for independence.

Meanwhile in Mexico City, Emperor Agustin I came before congress and put forward a declaration of war on the nascent Republic of Texas. And though the vote was a success Agustin soon found himself hampered by the meddling of Congress. As the first troops began to march north to put down the rebellion Agustin dismissed the 1st Congress of Mexico turning the Mexican Empire into an absolute Monarchy once again.

Yet even as dissent grew across Mexico over Agustin’s actions the Texan War of Independence was ongoing. The actual fighting could be simplified to 2 battles even though a plethora of other skirmishes occurred. The first of these battles The Battle of the Nueces resulted in a massacre of 150 Texan and Tejano troops under the command of Harman Blannerhasset one of Burr’s original compatriots.

Yet things were not to go exactly as Agustin planned. Having just recently signed a formal document declaring the independence of the Texan Republic Aaron Burr heard of the massacre on the Nueces and immediately marshaled all available forces to himself marching south to engage the Imperialist Mexican forces under General Antonio a fierce loyalist. The two armies met on the Brazos River culminating in the Battle of the Brazos.

The Battle of the Brazos would be an event that would define Texas for a long time. General Antonio had been chosen by Agustin for his loyalty not his skill and as a result had divided his forces. As a result the Texans could now engage the Imperial Mexican forces on even terms. Adding to the Texan advantage was the element of surprise and their desire for vengeance for the victims of the Nueces massacre. “Remember the Nueces!” would become a rallying cry for the rest of the war.

Due to these factors the Battle of the Brazos was resulted in a fantastic victory for the Texan forces under Aaron Burr. Adventurers such as Jim Bowie, and Davy Crockett also managed to distinguish themselves. As the Mexican army retreated in disarray it met up with another section of the Army under General Santa Anna who had accompanied the army as an advisor albeit an unhappy one.

Having heard of the events in Mexico City, Santa Anna was eager to return home. As the Texan army appeared on the horizon Santa Anna rode forth and began negotiations. Upon meeting with Aaron Burr Santa Anna agreed to a cease fire and agreed to recognize Texan independence in exchange for Texan aid in ousting Agustin. Seeing that Texas had nowhere near the strength to engage Mexico in a prolonged conflict Burr agreed and sent a force of 400 men under Davy Crocket south with Santa Anna with the promise of more once Congress had approved it.

The Mexican Civil War
As Santa Anna’s forces aided by Davy Crocket marched south the news of the rebellion against Agustin I spread and soon numerous army commanders and governors flocked to aid Santa Anna. However during the initial phases of the Texan Revolution, Agustin had been quick to consolidate his power amongst the army resulting in a Royalist army being mustered in response to Santa-Anna’s army.

These armies met in the Battle of Mexico City in which the Republicans under Santa-Anna and aided by the Texans under Davy Crocket defeated the Royalists forcing them to retreat towards the more conservative areas. As Santa Anna entered Mexico City and proclaimed the Mexican Republic he negotiated the Treaty of Mexico City in which Mexico recognized the independence of Texas and granted it all lands north of the Rio-Grande.

A New and Free Republic
As 1822 drew to a close and Aaron Burr was inaugurated as the 1st president of the Texan Republic, he found his fortunes reversed from what they had been 17 years ago. In 17 years Burr had built himself a new state and if he would be able to bring it into the Union he would not recoup his fortunes and then some. He would be able to leave a legacy that would endure for ages.

I think adding Bowie and Crockett may be a little too premature. Figure out what they were doing in 1822, since it may be radically different than what they were doing in 1836.

Some preliminary research I did shows that both Bowie and Crocket could have participated in Burr's rebellion.

Crocket resigned from the militia in 1818 and did show some interest in travelling prior to becoming a congressman. It's quite possible he could catch wind of Texas prior to heading off to Washington and desire to as he did later in OTL "Explore texas before I'm dead."

As for Bowie he tried to sign up to fight in the war of 1812 but did so too late. It's quite conceivable that being right next door in Louisiana Bowie could have easily been wooed to travel to Texas to join Burr's colonists.

Now the question is what would be Monroe's response to Burr's rebellion?

Keenir

Banned
Now the question is what would be Monroe's response to Burr's rebellion?

Monroe would probably be thrilled! after all, it's a ready-made ally whose interests lie in keeping the European Powers out of the Americas.

ps: mind you, I personally doubt Burr would rebel from the USA. but I'm contributing to this thread despite my opinion on that matter.

I'm glad you're doing a Burr TL as he is (so I'm told) a distant relative.
Curious: Bur in OTL helped found the Tamany machine and did a lot for Irish immigrants. Will his Texas be taking a lot of Irish immigrants? Also, what's the status of California: still firmly Mexican or have Anglo settlers started to trickle in?

AJNolte: Yeah I'm looking into the Irish make up a sizeable portion of the early Texan settlers. California's gone pretty much like OTL but then again I haven't done much research.

Keenir: I'm more interested in Monroe's response to Burr's Texas wanting to join the United States. He's just come off the Mississippi compromise after which in OTL no new states were added until 1836 with Arkansas and Michigan. What would happen when Burr wants his nation to join the Union? (I'm going off the assumption that he originally wanted to aid the US by emigrating in a potential war against Spain and in no way rebel against it.)

Any other thoughts on Texas' early entrance into the US would be welcome

This is in an Interesting TL u got yourself here Fearless Leader...I do have an question though...Does Aaron Burr's Tejas support the Fredonia rebellion of 1826/1827 when it comes into play? And Also...can we get a more clear show on how the Bastrop Territory is being developed under the Burr Admistration? And if u can, break the tl down by year so it doesn't seem so broad?

Historico: Well first off, there won't be a Fredonia rebellion due to an alternate settlement of Texas. As for the development of the Bastrop region I can't give anything concrete but by the time of the Texan revolution it's developed into a small city nicknamed "Burrsville" which later develops into the capital of TTL's Texas. As for a year by year breakdown here goes...

POD:1805: Aaron Burr begins secretly laying out a plan to emigrate to Spanish Texas along with a select few in hopes of recouping his fortunes in the inevitable war between Spain and the United States. He is not caught

1806: Burr arrives on his land in the Bastrop region with 100 followers and their families and begins to settle down. Revitalized by the move Burr begins to send out agents to the United States to draw more people to Texas. James Wilkinson former governor of Louisiana is convinced to join Burr in Texas.

1807-1810: Anglo settlement in Texas begins to grow slowly but surely under Burr.

1810: Manuel Hildalgo and his followers revolt against the conservative junta in Spanish Mexico beginning the Mexican war of Independence. Burr takes advantage of this by playing both sides off of each other to strengthen his hand.

1812: The US under Madison invades Canada beginning the War of 1812. Burr takes advantage of this by inviting all dissenters to Texas. Following the wars conclusion a number of veterans and adventurers will make their way to Texas as well.

1810-1821: Mexican War of Independence: During this time Anglo settlement in Texas grows by leaps and bounds. Aaron Burr works covertly supplying American weapons to the Mexican rebels in the south while suppressing Mexican Rebels in Texas with Anglo militia. Thousands of Americans arrive in Texas during this time.

Late 1821/ Early 1822: Mexican War of Independence ends due to an unlikely alliance between the radicals and the conservatives. Agustin D'iturbide is crowned Agustin I interim emperor of the Mexican Empire.

August 1822: Congress of 1822 held in Burrsville Texas, under the leadership of Aaron Burr the Anglo and Tejano settlers of the region decide to break away from Mexico for their own good. Thus beginning the Texan Revolution.

Late August/Early September 1822: Initial battles of the Texan Revolution see numerous Mexican troops defect to the Texan army while the remaining are driven out of the country. Agustin I asks the Supreme Congress for a Declaration of war and gets one. General Antonio a fierce royalist is sent north to crush the rebellion, Santa-Anna accompanies as an observer.

Late September 1822: Annoyed by Congress' meddling in the War Agustin dismisses the Congress to the dismay of the radical faction of the populace. General Antonio engages and captures a portion of the Texan army at the Battle of the Nueces resulting in the massacre of 150 Texan prisoners.

October 1822: Texan Declaration of Independence signed by Aaron Burr and numerous others. Hearing of the Battle of the Nueces, Burr marshalls as many troops as he can and heads out to engage General Antonio engaging him at the Battle of the Brazos river. The result is a decisive Texan victory and the capture of General Antonio. Santa Anna takes control of the remnants of the Mexican Army and promises to recognise Texan independence in exchange for aid in ousting Agustin I. Burr agrees sending a 400 man expeditionary force under Davy Crocket to aid Santa Anna.

November 1822: Battle of Mexico City, Royalist Forces led personally by Agustin I engage Liberal forces under Santa Anna resulting in a Liberal victory. This marks the beginning of the Mexican civil war. Aaron Burr and the Texan congress meet in Burrsville. Diplomats from the USA begins to arrive in Burrsville.

I read on this board and elsewhere that gold had been discovered in California earlier but the Jesuits hushed it up. I'm sure Burr would be interested...:)

I decided to rewrite Part I in light of new research. This revised version fits actual events and the character of the historical figures better IMO.

The Rebirth of Aaron Burr v.2.0

Part I: The Birth of a Nation

Introduction
Upon the expiration of his term as Vice President of the United States, Aaron Burr found himself broken in fortune and virtually in exile from the states of New York and New Jersey. In desperation he fled to Philadelphia Pennsylvania and began earnestly seeking a way to emigrate from the United States and escape the reputation he had earned himself. It was in this spirit of desperation he met with Jonathan Payton, an old classmate from Princeton and began to set in place a series of events that would shake the continent to it’s core.

The Burr Plan
The centerpiece of Payton’s and Burr’s plan was a 40,000 acre plot of land in what was the Bastrop area of Spanish Texas leased to Aaron Burr. Burr hoped to take possession of the land and maintain an army with which to claim the land in the inevitability that the United States and Spain went to war. Moving in secret Burr gathered to himself a core group of followers and with the support of a number of higher officials Burr and his group of around 100 armed men crossed into Spanish Texas and took possession of the 40,000 acre property leased to Aaron Burr in 1806.(1)

Aaron Burr’s Texas
Upon arriving in Texas, Burr found himself revitalized having escaped the emotional baggage he had left behind in the United States. Almost immediately Burr began preparing for what he saw as an inevitable war between Spain and the United States. Yet he was careful not to abandon the country he’d come from. Prior to arriving in Texas Burr had forged ties with the then governor of the Louisiana Territory, James Wilkinson. However Wilkinson soon found himself publicly criticized for his heavy handed governance of the territory. Through much persuasion on Aaron Burr’s part Wilkinson resigned from his post and migrated west to join Burr on his land in Texas to be replaced by Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame.

Yet even though Burr no longer had an ally in Louisiana to funnel him settlers and supplies the number of Anglo colonists continued to increase as word soon spread about ample land in Texas. It wasn’t long before Burr had attracted a veritable army of mercenaries and freebooters eager to gain lands in Mexico and Texas. The war of 1812 would also prove to be a boon to Burr seeing that soon after it’s conclusion numerous veterans would emigrate to Texas to join him there.

One thing that Burr did not expect to happen was the beginning of the Mexican war of Independence in 1810. As the revolutionary forces began to gain power Burr too began to prepare to at long last recoup his fortunes. By the time the Mexican War of Independence arrived in Mexico with the Gutierrez-Magee (2) expedition Burr had a force of around 200 heavily armed and highly trained men with him. Aaron Burr was finally ready to enter into his destiny.

The Siege of Goliad and the Battle of Medina
Calling itself the Republican Army of the North, the Gutierrez-Magee expedition crossed from the “Neutral Ground” in Louisiana into Texas on August 7, 1812, and soon captured Nacogdoches, and Trinidad de Salcedo. On November 7th the Republican Army of the North arrived in La Bahia (OTL Goliad) where they met up with none other than Burr’s expedition. Burr’s intervention and familiarity with the Spanish Royalists in the region allowed the Republican Army to capture the fort of La Bahia in a bloodless coup. This made Aaron Burr quite popular amongst the army leading to his prompt ascension to it’s leadership.

Having taken Goliad and amassed an army of around 2000 men (3) Burr decided to march on San Antonio to force the commander General Joaquín de Arredondo to commit to a decisive battle. The two forces met twenty miles south of San Antonio in a sandy oak forest region then called el encinal de Medina on January 15th 1813. The resulting battle would determine the fate of this infantile Republic of Texas formed only weeks before.

Encamped no more than 6 miles apart from each other, two armies engaged each other at 11:00 in the morning, as Republican scouts discovered the royalist position and opened fire. A short engagement saw the Republicans take the worst by far and begin a full fledged retreat. Seeing this Arredondo ordered a full advance, confident that victory was at hand. Meanwhile Aaron Burr, upon hearing of this promptly chose his battleground and prepared breastworks in preparation for the Spanish advance.

Arredondo’s force arrived soon after the breastworks were finished and not knowing the full strength of the Republican position pressed the attack. However there were far more than a few scouts hiding behind the hastily erected breastworks. Under Burr’s orders the Republicans waited until they could “see the whites of their eyes” before opening fire. The result was horrific, all at once the hillside burst into smoke as the Royalists dropped like flies. Several more volleys followed resulting in horrific casualties for the Royalists. Upon receiving a serious wound Arredondo ordered a full scale retreat marking an end to the first phase of the battle. However the retreating royalists soon found themselves flanked by Republican cavalry and promptly surrendered. Before the end of the day Burr’s forces had mopped up the remains of Arredondo’s forces and marched into San Antonio waving the Burr Flag a single white star set on an Emerald background.

The Battle of Medina was over and the infantile Republic of Texas had won some much needed breathing room. Yet the war was not over not by far, and the Republic of Texas was soon to be confronted by a series of conflicting interests that threatened to tear it apart.

1: The POD in this TL, Aaron Burr and co-conspiritors make it to Texas without being arrested.

2: A real expedition in OTL

3: OTL's battle of Medina pitted 1400 Republican militia against 1800 Royalist troops. In TTL not only do they have their original forces but they have Burr's fillibusters, deserting Royalists from the Fort at La Bahia, troops who would have been casualties at La Bahia (a 4 month siege OTL), and various Indian allies (gathered in OTL but gathered quicker due to Burr's preparation in TTL).

Coming soon: Part II and the effects of Texas on Mexico and the USA.

Part II: The Long Night

Fresh from it’s victory at the Battle of Medina, the Republican Army of the North’s morale couldn’t be higher. Pretty soon the flag of the infantile Republic of Texas flew from every house as the local Tejano populace embraced the Texan Revolution wholeheartedly. Yet even though spirits were high, General and acting president of the Republic of Texas Aaron Burr realized that if the republic were to survive, it would have to defeat the forces of Spain. Due to Texas’ small population Burr found himself incredibly limited in how he proceeded to conduct the war. His only option was to lead his army south and aid the Mexican rebels under Jose Morelos in their fight against their mutual enemy.

Consolidation and Offensive
Following the Battle of Medina and the capture of San Antonio, Burr’s army moved quickly focusing on consolidating their position north of the Rio Grande river. Royalist garrisons surrendered in droves with many choosing to join the Texan Army in exchange for the promise of lands after the war. These royalist garrisons were soon replaced by republican garrisons as Burr prepared to lead an army south to aid Morelos in his fight against Spain.

With the majority of Texas pacified, Burr marshaled the Republican army of the North and began to make his way south in Spring 1813. As the RAN left San Antonio it’s total numbers rested at around 2500 complete with artillery and cavalry arms and consisting of whoever dared to join. Encountering no opposition north of the Rio Grande, the RAN moved further south towards the city of Salito.

Upon crossing the Rio Grande, the fires of revolution spread throughout Northern Mexico. Every day hundreds of eager revolutionaries joined up with the RAN causing a logistical nightmare for the RAN’s quartermasters. It was during this time however that several Royalist defectors within the RAN rose to prominence. Chief of which was a man by the name of Antonio de Santa Anna a former subaltern in the Royalist army of General Arredondo. Santa Anna used his considerable charisma and organizational skill to weld the hundreds of eager revolutionaries into an army.

The first part of Burr’s march south resulted in little actual fighting. In a matter of months most of the local troops had either defected or fled south leaving Burr in charge of the largest free portion of Mexico during the year 1813. The only real battle occurred around the port of Tampico lasting 4 days as Burr’s army aided by local revolutionaries drove the royalist forces out of the port. Before long, the port city became a nexus for the arms trade as dozens of smugglers began bringing in supplies of foreign muskets, powder, and artillery.

Yet the Viceroy of New Spain wasn’t sitting idly by. Dismissing the threat from Jose Morelos an army was mustered and sent north to deal with these troublesome northern rebels. The key objective of their offensive being to stop the troublesome flow of arms to the Mexican rebels through the port of Tampico. Texas’ long night was about to begin.

The Long Retreat
As the Royalist Mexican army marched northward the RAN couldn’t be better. Estimates of it’s strength prior to the arrival of the Royalist Army were around 10,000 though most of that was irregular. General Burr was primarily focused with setting up the basis of a revolutionary government in Tampico to govern the newly captured Mexican territories leaving the conduct of the army to General Wilkinson and General Santa Anna. Morale couldn’t be higher, yet the RAN was soon to discover it’s luck had run out. In September 1813 the Viceroy’s Royalist Army arrived on scene and began reasserting Spanish control over the region.

Forced to defend a large area with inadequate troops the RAN was defeated in several pitched battles throughout 1813. Yet guerilla warfare was prolific and succeeded in slowing down the Royalist progress significantly. The definitive battle of the “Southern Rio Grande Campaign” took place just north of Saltillo and saw the RAN defeated in a decisive battle and forced into a headlong retreat leaving much of it’s newly acquired artillery behind.

Following the defeat at Saltillo, revolutionary fervor dipped to an all time low. Thousands fled north as the brutal Royalist government brought the boot down. Burr’s nascent revolutionary government in Tampico boarded a ship under the command of Texan privateer Louis D’Aury and sailed north to Galveston where they established a government in exile for Mexico. These revolutionary bureaucrats would prove quite important in the latter phases of the war.

War Returns to Texas
“They shall not pass!” declared Aaron Burr to a demoralized Republican Army of the North as they completed crossing the Rio Grande river. Convinced that the Royalist army would not be able to maintain it’s position south of the Rio Grande Burr was determined not to allow the Royalists any foothold north of the River.

Almost immediately Burr set about reorganizing the RAN in addition to sending out letters begging for arms for his troops. However the Royalists were determined not to give the RAN any breathing room. Before long the Royalists were trying to ford the Rio Grande resulting in the legendary “Northern Rio Grande Campaign”, though in reality the campaign was fought on both sides of the Rio Grande.

Limited by poor supply lines the Royalist army had a hard time maintaining any beachhead north of the Rio Grande. Conversely the RAN was far too demoralized and disorganized to drive the Royalists back from their positions in formerly independent Mexico. Though the Royalists and the RAN engaged numerous times over the course of the campaign the real battles were fought in the occupied territories where guerilla’s were driven back and firm supply lines were established.

By September 1814 the Royalists had inflicted numerous defeats on the Mexican forces south of the Rio Grande providing their Northern Army a firm supply line and allowing it at long last to defeat the RAN and end the revolutionary menace on it’s Northern Borders. What followed was a concerted drive by the Royalists against Burr’s “Rio Grande Line”. Unable to mass enough forces to defeat the Royalists the RAN was soon reeling from a decisive defeat at the definitive Battle of the Rio Grande.

As Burr and his troops retreated in disarray towards San Antonio the Royalists marched northward their morale higher than it had ever been. The fates of the revolutionary governments of Texas and Mexico entered their darkest hour. With Morelo on the run in the south and with Burr defeated in the north it seemed as if the fires of revolution were about to be put out across new Spain.

The Alamo
Yet Texas wasn’t completely unprepared for the onslaught of Royalist troops. As Burr retreated north towards San Antonio the Royalist army came under increasing attacks from Texan guerillas’ calling themselves “Rangers”. These Texas Rangers severely limited the effectiveness of the Royalist army and managed to give the defenders of the Republic much needed breathing room.

Royalist actions following the crossing of the Rio Grande were typified by gross underestimation of the Texan fighting spirit. Garrisons that should have only held out a few days resisted for weeks this being a result of better preparation on the side of the Texans and a distinct fighting spirit. Yet nothing captured the imagination of the world than a single engagement spanning 4 months between 1814 and 1815 than the Alamo.

Originally a Jesuit mission located south of San Antonio, the Alamo was chosen due to it’s strategic location to be fortified and garrisoned following the initial victory of the RAN at the battle of Medina. Following Aaron Burr’s defeat at the battle of the Rio Grande this garrison of 20 men was soon beefed up by remnants of the RAN under General Wilkinson of Louisiana fame and Mexican forces under General Santa-Anna. With nearly 500 men behind the stone walls of the mission cum military forte, the Alamo was prepared for a protracted siege.

As the Royalists began to stretch their supply lines the forces of Aaron Burr were busy reorganizing. Raids became ever more frequent on the Royalist army. Moreover in Mexico proper Jose Morelos had reorganized resistance and was striking back once again at the forces of the Viceroy. In the Caribbean, Spanish shipping was once again the target of choice for pirates and privateers as the Republic of Texas began offering letters of Marque to whoever would take them. Galveston soon became a center of pirate activity a “second Port Royal” in many ways.

Yet the months that bridged 1814 and 1815 were defined not by the ever increasing raids but by the defiance of the Texan garrison south of San Antonio in the Alamo. Faced with Thousands on either side the defenders bravely resisted even as the mission crumbled around them. Several attempts to storm the mission were beaten off with heavy casualties resulting in the Mexicans preferring to starve out the defenders of the Alamo.

The story of American, Tejano, and Mexican troops fighting side by side captured the imaginations of the populace in America and Mexico leading to a massive rise in support for the Revolutionaries. Increased activity south of the Rio Grande resulted in the Royalist army reaching the end of it’s supply line allowing the Texan forces time to reorganize. Before long a reformed Republican Army of the North once again under the command of Aaron Burr marched south and in a stunning move lifted the siege of the Alamo in one of the most decisive victories of the Texan revolution. The green and white banner of the Republic flew proudly over the Alamo and the RAN as the Royalists retreated in disarray. The republic had survived it’s darkest hour and the stage was set for the beginnings of a new stage in the war.

Part III: The War Widens

March of 1815 saw the Mexican War of Independence take on a whole new form as the reformed Republican Army of the North swept down on the beleaguered Royalist forces surrounding the Alamo breaking the legendary 4 month siege. This victory coupled with a resurgence in activity in central Mexico brought the war into the beginning of it’s third and final stage.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico
The Texan victory at the Alamo inspired the world and gained a great deal of face for the forces advocating for Mexican independence. Before long thousands of American filibusters had joined up with the Republican army along with hoards of other adventurers such as Jean Lafitte, and names that would become legendary later like Rezin and James Bowie.

With renewed strength and fervor Burr began an aggressive campaign to drive the Royalists from Texas. Before long he’d amassed an army of 3000 and was poised to cross the Rio Grande and retake Mexican lands south of the Rio Grande. This was allowed by the complete destruction of the Royalist Army at the second battle of the Rio Grande which saw the Texans completely demolish the Royalists in a 5 hour long pitched battle, one of the bloodiest in Texan history.

This battle was accompanied by large scale uprisings South of the Rio Grande aided by the Revolutionary Mexican government landing in Tampico with the aid of Jean Lafitte and Louis D’Aury. Nothing seemed to be able to stand before the Texan forces, they’d weathered the best the Spanish had to offer and had come out unscathed. More over since the conclusion of the war of 1812, the flow of arms and volunteers from the US was far more than it had been during the revolution itself.

Yet events were about to be set in place that would see another combatant come onto the scene threatening to enlarge the war dramatically.

Enter the Eagle
Ever since the initial fillibustering expedition, relations between Spain and the United States had been terse. As the war of 1812 began to draw to a conclusion and public opinion drifted more and more towards the Texan and the Mexican freedom fighters the inevitable war between Spain and the US that Burr predicted was finally coming to pass.
Finally on June 23rd 1815 everything fell through, before long the United States of America under President James Madison declared war on the Spanish Empire beginning the Spanish American War and widening the Mexican War of Independence.

Though many opposition members at the time, New England Federalists, opposed the war in actuality it was the best possible move for the United States. The entry of the US into the Mexican War of Independence increased tension in the Congress of Vienna. Spain wanting the Holy League to intervene in it’s disastrous colonial situation. However Britain was wary of the Holy League gaining too much power, especially in the Americas and prevented any such action by the Holy League thus beginning Anglo-American rapprochement.

Upon entering the war, the United States set itself up for one of the largest land grabs in it’s history. Whether it managed to pull it off was in doubt until the very end. Almost immediately the US began massive ship construction and began occupying Florida. Before long the US was operating at a fever pitch of nationalist fervor and thousands of men were enlisting to head south and fight the Spanish menace.

Total War
With the entry of the USA into the Mexican war of Independence morale surged among not only Aaron Burr’s troops but the troops of Jose Morelos as well. The entry of the US also marked a Mayan uprising in the Yucatan which was promptly supported by both the Americans and the British resulting in the proclamation of the Mayan republic to the dismay of Madrid.

The Caribbean soon became a battleground as American ships and privateers engaged the Spanish Navy in a quest for dominance. Meanwhile Aaron Burr soon found himself reinforced by none other than the infamous Andrew Jackson as the Americans joined Burr’s forces in their march to Mexico city.

Throughout the remainder of 1815 and 1816 war raged across Central America. The fires of revolution were lit and burning out of control. All the while Great Britain held back the wrath of the Holy League that sought to put out the fires of revolution allowing Latin America to win it’s long deserved freedom.

Many historians and analysts point to the meeting of Texan and American forces under Andrew Jackson and forces under Jose Morelos as the turning point of the war. For upon uniting the two armies successfully defeated the bulk of the Royalist forces at the Battle of Mexico city. Various revolutionary governments that had sprung up across New Spain were gathered and unified into the Supreme Congress of Mexico. In the months that followed the Revolutionary Army of Mexico proceeded to drive out the remaining Royalist opposition while opening negotiations with Spain.

Though the military implications of the US in the Mexican war of independence was clearly important to their overall victory. One cannot dispute the commonly under rated political implications. Without the influence of American politicians there is no way that the upper class’ fear of class warfare would have been abated and there’s no way that democracy would have taken hold in such a strong way. The Americans may not have won the war but they certainly won the peace.

On May 15th 1817 the Treaty of London was signed marking an end to both the Spanish American War and the Mexican war of Independence. Mexico and the Mayan Republic were both granted full independence even though the latter was little more than a British satellite state. America however proved to be the biggest winner in this situation gaining not only Florida, but California and land between it and the claims of the Republic of Texas in exchange for significant remuneration. The treaty was signed by James Madison for the USA, Jose Morellos for the Mexican Republic, Chief Charles Vars for the Mayan Republic and Ferdinand VIII for Spain.

The war was over, the forces of liberty and democracy had won out and Aaron Burr had more than recouped his fortunes as he was paraded through Mexico, Texas and the USA as a military hero. The future had never been brighter for Aaron Burr, or for North America for that matter...

Thanks for the new installments...This TL really has got me thinking about some of the possiblities...

1. Would the ever so ambitous Aaron Burr decide to formulate the new Texas Republic to that of an empire much like that of the Emperor Agustin regime over Mexico?

2. Can we get some Maps, If it's not to much?

North America Post Mexican War of Independence/Spanish American War​

Key
Dark Blue-US state
Light Blue-US Territory
Dark Red- Texas (Admitted as a US State)
Pink-Rio Grande Territory
Red-British North America
Light Green-Mexico
Dark Green- Russian Alaska
Yellow- Spanish Holdings
Grey- Oregon Territory-Disputed

(A Quick and Dirty Map for y'all Nothing else has changed too much)

Part IV: The Era of Good Feelings

As the Mexican War of Independence and the Spanish American War finally drew to a close in 1816, James Madison’s term drew to a close. In his 8 years in office, Madison had lead the country through 2 horrific wars, one of which asserted the republic’s independence from Britain while the other secured vast portions of New Spain for future expansion of the United States. The latter also causing a rapprochement between America and the UK as the mighty British lion stood between the revolutionaries and the wrath of the Holy League. America had emerged bloodied but stronger than ever which would prove to have effects on the rest of the world.

The Election of 1816
With the rapprochement between the US and UK feeding New England’s insatiable appetite for trade and with massive US, Texan, and Mexican successes in the war the Federalist party collapsed. Little opposition was made when the Democratic Republicans nominated James Monroe for president. Monroe would be inaugurated February 1817 ending the extremely successful presidency of James Madison.

Florida
Even though the USA had successfully suppressed pro-Spanish forces in Florida during the Spanish American War, tensions began to skyrocket after the Peace of London resulting in Andrew Jackson and numerous veterans of the Mexican Campaign waging an intense campaign against the Seminole people. The Seminole war was a long and bloody affair that lasted from 1816-1818. It finally reached an end when the Seminole people agreed to head west of the Mississippi to settle the “Indian Territory” (OTL Oklahoma) with Andrew Jackson lauded as a legendary war hero.

Texas
The conclusion of the Mexican (and by extension Texan) war of Independence finally established the independence of the young Texan Republic. 1817 saw Aaron Burr under the mantle of the Texan Party take power in the first Texan presidential elections. Numerous issues plagued the nascent Burr administration including massive war debt and the slavery debate that would plague the continent for the next few years. Burr’s administration would be defined by these issues and his handling of the Republic’s first few years would prove crucial.

The entire issue of Slavery would be dealt with first by the Burr administration. Having been fed the class equality of the Mexican revolutionaries the Texan population, which was for the most part Hispanic was clearly anti-slavery. In addition Texas found itself with an excess of freedmen, slaves who’d joined up with the RAN during the War of Independence. These two factors came against the forces of war heroes James Bowie and Jean Lafitte. Yet there was one man, Major John Freeman who pushed the argument over to the abolition side. Freeman had been one of the original members of the RAN joining up at his masters request when the Gutierrez-Magee expedition crossed into Texas. He would fight for the duration of the conflict eventually achieving the rank of Major during the conflict. His eloquent argument for the anti-slavery camp turned the tide in the debate causing the Burr administration look at means of emancipation.

Eventually the First Texan Amendment was passed which saw a process of Gradual Emancipation be enacted in which existing Freemen were granted full citizenship due to their military service. In addition existing slaves could gain their freedom in two ways, by either purchasing loans and working off their debts in exchange for their freedom or by enlisting in times of war. In the later case the Texan government promised to pay a compensation fee for the services of the slave. This amendment was the effective death knell of Slavery throughout the world.

The other issue plaguing Texas, that over her massive war debts was alleviated by American diplomats who agreed to allow Texas to join the Union, assuming her war debts in exchange for a section of her territory being given to the Federal Government. Diplomats flew back and forth before finally the two sides reached an agreement. Texas would be admitted to the Union as a free state and along with the Rio Grande Territory. Aaron Burr would eventually become the first governor of Texas. To placate the pro-slavery faction within Congress Missouri was admitted as a Slave state. However Texan abolitionism was beginning to spread across the Union like wildfire with serious consequences to slavery in America.

The Election of 1820
1820 was indeed a very similar election to it’s predecessor. Monroe once again won not only the Democratic Republican nomination without any opposition but the Election itself was almost uncontested. Pro Abolitionist and Pro-Slavery parties made their appearance but none could match the might of the Democratic Republican Party.

The Rise of Rail
In 1812 Oliver Evans had published his thoughts on the future that lay in rail transport though nothing came of it at the time due to the Madison Wars, during the early years of Monroe’s administration Evan’s ideas attracted widespread attention. By the 1820’s the beginnings of a rail grid were beginning to spread across the Eastern States. Plans were laid for a transcontinental railway connecting the East to it’s new lands in California. By 1822 a rout had been planned resulting in the purchase of land from Mexico to achieve an easier rout. The Evans Purchase was the first territorial exchange between the US and Mexico. However both nations remained on amicable terms.

American Abolitionism
Two events the entry of Texas into the Union as a Free State and the Landslide election of 1820 dealt the final blows to slavery in the United States. Upon seeing their pro-slavery, pro-south parties defeated by the might of the Democratic Republican party the southern states began to re-evaluate the status of slavery within their territories. The “Texan solution” as it grew to be referred to became popular not only within the states themselves but the Federal government as well. It also allowed slaveholding states to count their slaves as full persons during the census to receive larger representation in the House. As a result of these factors Slavery began to slowly crumble throughout the Union as the various slave holding states began adding the “Texan Amendment” to their state constitutions Virginia being the first in 1822 and Mississippi being the last in 1834.

Mexico
Following the conclusion of the Mexican war of Independence morale couldn’t be higher among the Mexican people. With the uncompromising victory of Jose Morelos’ forces over the Spanish elite with the help of America Mexico was now awash in liquid assets left behind by the former ruling class. It was with these assets that Mexico paid off her foreign debts and began to solidify itself as a nation.

Morelos would set the bar for future Mexican presidents by only serving as President for one 5 year term resigning in 1822 and holding the first Mexican Presidential Election. Fears of an unfeasible democracy were abated as the close race saw International War Hero Antonio de Santa Anna win a narrow victory over the Royalist defector Agustin D’Iturbide.

President Santa Anna’s term would see Mexico come into it’s own as a nation with the founding of the Mexican Railway Company which began to link up all of Mexico’s various cities with railways starting in 1824. This coupled with a growing Mexican middle class and a burgeoning industrial sector would result in Mexico growing to become a strong and respectable nation in the years to come.

Conclusion
The Monroe era saw numerous new trends sweep the USA. The Madison doctrine was refined by James Monroe (OTL’s Monroe doctrine). Abolitionism took hold ensuring the end of slavery throughout the world. And America began to be connected by railway lines to and fro across the Union. Monroe would play a crucial role in consolidating the massive territorial gains of Madison and see the American “Manifest Destiny” come into being. Furthermore Monroe’s successful handling of several potentially divisive issues such as Slavery and Texan annexation ensured the prosperity of the American Nation for some time.

Part V: The Jacksonian Era

The election of former General Andrew Jackson in 1824 not only resulted in the formation of the Democrat and Republican parties but also ushered in the successor to “The Era of Good Feelings” the “Jacksonian Era”. Andrew Jackson’s two terms would begin the Democratic domination of the early part of 19th century American politics and would also see America’s unstoppable move west.

The Election of 1824
Upon incumbent president James Monroe’s announcement that he would not be seeking a third term the floor was opened up to numerous Democratic Republicans who wished to take his place. The DR primary quickly became bogged down between the supporters of former General and War Hero Andrew Jackson and career diplomat John Quincy Adams. The election of 1824 would eventually boil down to a conflict between these two resulting in one of the narrowest of victories for Andrew Jackson.

The feud between Jackson and Adams would be the unexpected death knell for the Democratic Republican Party. With the supporters of J.Q. Adams adopting the name “Independent Republicans” the supporters of Jackson became identified as “The Democrats. Thus the two parties that would dominate American politics for nearly 200 more years were founded. The Democratic Party had indeed had a good run, ruling unopposed for 16 years and seeing the American nation grow exponentially at the expense of it’s colonial neighbors. Indeed it was a fitting end for such a glorious party unmarred by gross failure.

The Move West
Jackson’s first term as President would be a tumultuous affair focusing primarily on pacifying America’s large Native American population. Though Jackson preferred to negotiate with the natives when at all possible he was not overtly opposed to utilizing force when needed. Numerous Indian wars would be fought throughout America revealing several talented young officers such as Zachary Taylor, Jefferson Davis, and Winfield Scott. However though the American military would be hailed as the victors of the Indian Wars it would be Sam Houston, Jackson’s minister of Indian affairs and political protégé who would win the peace by giving the defeated tribes generous deals in exchange for participating in the American nation.

The victories of American Dragoons and Houston’s negotiators would eventually result in the completion of the first of many Trans-continental railways linking New Orleans with the newly established city of San Fransisco in California Territory. And just in time too as in 1827 a poor Irish immigrant to California would stumble upon a most unusual mineral in a Californian river triggering one of the biggest events in early 19th century American history.

The Californian Gold Rush
Following the initial discovery of Gold in California on July 7th 1827 by Martin McFly California territory was soon swamped by thousands of immigrants eager to make their fortune prospecting for Gold in the barely populated territory. Clipper ships by the hundreds soon popped up in San Francisco bay disgorging hordes of American Prospectors. The Californian Gold Rush would be in essence the birth of one of the most prosperous states in the Union.

Yet things weren’t all fun and gold in California. The average prospector was a rowdy man, this coupled with poor conditions led to the formation of the Californian Rangers, a territorial police force designed to control the excesses of the Gold Rush. Founded in 1828 they would ensure a safe and productive Gold Rush occurred in California. They would also grow to become one of the most effective law enforcement agencies in the world resulting in the following ballad being coined...

“In the eyes of a Ranger
The unsuspecting stranger
Had better know the truth of wrong from right
‘Cause the eyes of the Ranger are upon you
Everything you do he’s gonna see
When you’re in Cali look behind you
Cause that’s where the Ranger’s gonna be...”

Contrary to popular belief almost all the gold miners coming to California territory came by either wagon train or clipper ship, the transcontinental railway having nothing to do with it. This was mainly due to it’s incomplete nature at the time, what with it not being completed until 1831 and by that time the Gold Rush had already reached it’s peak and was beginning to decline.

Election of 1828
Like his predecessors Jackson would be nominated once again by the Democratic Party to run for a second term. 1828 would quite literally be a re-match of 1824 and would revolve around many of the same issues. Debates surrounding Jackson’s dissolution of the First National Bank of America would dominate the discussion however Jackson’s inerrant popularity, and support from the South and West would end up winning him the election again just narrowly putting him ahead of John Quincy Adams yet again.

Foreign Policy
The key foreign policy moment of Andrew Jackson’s career would be the 1826 treaty of York which clarified Anglo-American borders in regards to not only Maine and Upper Canadian territorial disputes but also regarding the disputed Oregon territory granting the US all of Oregon south of the 49th parallel with said line of latitude serving as the border between American and British territories west of Upper Canada.

Andrew Jackson would also deal an important death knell to slavery worldwide as he committed federal forces to the enforcement of anti-slavery laws of local states. While this would infuriate pro-slavery pundits it simultaneously weakened their position undermining their fundamental stance of “state’s rights”. This coupled with William Wilberforce’s success in getting the British Empire to abolish slavery would be tantamount to ending the slave trade world wide.

Meanwhile, Jackson’s terms in office would also see the foundation of “The American Colonization Society” and the beginnings of a settlement in West Africa called Liberia. Liberia would soon become a haven for educated freedmen due to the numerous subsidies provided for any potential immigrants. Jackson’s promises of “A Free Education, A Free Trip, and Free Land” would lure numerous freedmen from their oppressed existences in the US to a new life on the African frontier.

Domestic Policy
Andrew Jackson’s two terms in office would see a number of important trends set. Jackson would be lauded as a hero amongst freedmen for his vigorous defense of their existing rights (due in no part to the exemplary performance of Freedmen in the Spanish-American War/Texan War of Independence) and his promotion of the American Colonization Society.

Andrew Jackson would also deal a death knell to the First Bank of America causing a severe economic downturn and “The Panic of 1827”. Though not the most popular of moves Jackson’s superb handling of the recovery saw Western and Southern states appeased creating enough momentum for a Democrat victory in 1828.

Jackson’s second term would see the American economy make a slow recovery while Jackson focused on raising up the common man in favor of the aristocrat and strengthening central government and the Union in general. Jackson’s domestic policies would become a hallmark for Democratic policies throughout the beginning of the 19th century. Jackson would also win the loyalty of numerous Native American tribes by honoring his word to them and protecting their new lands from settler incursions.

Jackson’s term would also see the patenting of the electronic telegraph by Joseph Henry who expanded upon work being done throughout the world. Soon telegraph lines would crisscross the continent linking the US to it’s newly acquired Pacific coast. This invention would be key in “Winning the West” as it allowed near instantaneous communication with various settlements. Joseph Henry would also begin his experimentation with electrical engines during this time.

All told the final years of Jackson’s administration would be spent grooming his political protégé Samuel Houston to assume the role of President upon the end of his second term. Due primarily to Jackson’s support Samuel Houston won the Democratic nomination in 1832 and would go on to win the upcoming election ending the “Jacksonian Era” and ensuring a bright future for all of America.

Jackson’s term would also see the death of Aaron Burr, former traitor cum national hero following his filibustering in Texas. Burr served for two terms as the governor of Texas before retiring to his ranch just outside of Bastrop Texas where he lived the rest of his life writing his memoirs which would become a national best seller following his death. His death was mourned by the entire state of Texas with said day eventually becoming a state holiday in the 20th century.

Mexico
As the rest of Latin America began to go to hell in a handbasket during these years Mexico remained relatively stable with Santa Anna and his successors ably ruling Mexico through these tumultuous years. Several insurrections were attempted during the late 1820’s in the Mexican Republic’s southern most provinces however the completion of the “Great Southern Railway” allowed the Mexican army to arrive on the scene quickly and put down said rebellions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright there you have it

Comments? Criticism? Anything?