Frank Miller's 300

This could be AH.

Namely what's the POD to get a huge black man with 3,000+ body piercings onto the Persian throne under the name Xerxes?

Seriously, it does look awesome.

You know, my first thought after seeing the trailer was "I don't remember Gollum serving in the Persian army. Am I reading the wrong translation of Herodotus or something?"

You know, my first thought after seeing the trailer was "I don't remember Gollum serving in the Persian army. Am I reading the wrong translation of Herodotus or something?"

I think that's Ephialtes, the Greek traitor.

SPOILERS

He's a tragic figure--his parents fled Sparta to avoid having to kill him and he spent his whole life wanting to be a Spartan. He shows up wearing his father's armor at Thermopylae, but is turned away because he's too short--he cannot effectively shield his fellows. He attempts to kill himself, but fails at that and ends up going over to the Persians.

I think that's Ephialtes, the Greek traitor.

SPOILERS

He's a tragic figure--his parents fled Sparta to avoid having to kill him and he spent his whole life wanting to be a Spartan. He shows up wearing his father's armor at Thermopylae, but is turned away because he's too short--he cannot effectively shield his fellows. He attempts to kill himself, but fails at that and ends up going over to the Persians.

The spoiler in question is some utter BS.

There only one reason I can't wait for 300, besides being a fan of the book.

Hearing Gerard Butler shouting out "Madness? This....is....SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"
Is there a better line in all of cinematic history?

you know, in general, I don't mind historical movies straying from the facts if it makes a cool movie. "Last of the Mohicans" got the battle at Fort William Henry totally wrong, but it was a great movie anyway. But... I can't forgive the war rhino in 300; it's just incredibly dumb. How seriously would you take "Last of the Mohicans" if the Hurons had war grizzlies?

Still, I'll probably see the movie anyway, and enjoy most of it. I'll just look away during the war rhino scene.

you know, in general, I don't mind historical movies straying from the facts if it makes a cool movie. "Last of the Mohicans" got the battle at Fort William Henry totally wrong, but it was a great movie anyway. But... I can't forgive the war rhino in 300; it's just incredibly dumb. How seriously would you take "Last of the Mohicans" if the Hurons had war grizzlies?

Still, I'll probably see the movie anyway, and enjoy most of it. I'll just look away during the war rhino scene.

This isn't a historical movie though. It's fantasy that happens to use historical elements, much like a lot of David Gemmel's work or "A Knight's Tale".

MrP

Banned

Teach you to read it in translation, then. ;) :p

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I expect a total lack of historicity, but since I'll be viewing it as a comedy, that'll be a bonus. :D

I can't wait to see it either. It seems that the makers are more interested in the mythical depiction, rather than being 100% historically accurate, which is fine by me when you consider there isn't much historical evidence to base it on anyway considering we're talking Herodotus afterall...

This isn't a historical movie though. It's fantasy that happens to use historical elements, much like a lot of David Gemmel's work or "A Knight's Tale".

well, it's based on a real actual event... it's not a 'period piece', historical fiction, anything like that... it's depicting people who actually existed fighting a battle that really happened.... granted, it's a bizarre semi-mythological version. I really don't mind when these types of movies stray from utter historical fact, it usually makes a better movie. The war rhino is just a bit much....

Last of the Mohicans has War Grizzlies in it? Oh man, I'm all for that.

well, it's based on a real actual event... it's not a 'period piece', historical fiction, anything like that... it's depicting people who actually existed fighting a battle that really happened.... granted, it's a bizarre semi-mythological version. I really don't mind when these types of movies stray from utter historical fact, it usually makes a better movie. The war rhino is just a bit much....

Time put it best, its the movie of a comic about a movie, or words to that effect. When Miller was five years old, his parents took him to see the 1962 version of The 300, and the comic was his "adaption" of that movie.

War Grizzlies would be so fucking bad ass.

Ibn Warraq

Banned
How seriously would you take "Last of the Mohicans" if the Hurons had war grizzlies?

I think it would have been really cool.

Yes, I can see your point but with many historical movies I'm willing to simply ignore such flaws and enjoy the ride.

More movies have been made about Dr. Wong Fei-Hong than any other historical figure. I'm a huge fan of the Drunken Master movies, the Once Upon a Time in China movies, and also loved the Iron Monkey. I know they're not even remotely historically accurate, but I don't care.

Similarly, Braveheart wasn't even close to being historically accurate and never pretended to be. Mel Gibson said, "this movie isn't about William Wallace, it's about the legend of William Wallace." In fact, I'd be willing to bet 300 is alot more accurate than Braveheart. Most Scotts didn't seem to care about Braveheart's flaws and I've never heard anyone from China complain about either Once Upon a Time in China or Drunken Master II, so I see why we should get all that uptight about a movie that's clearly meant to be an action movie.