Communist Iceland

Inspired by my own Insanity, how could we get a Communist Iceland, with a POD no earlier then 1941, that does not involve a Soviet invasion of the country.

ninebucks

Banned
You'd need a Communist America first. A Communist America with a view to interfere in the governmental structures of the defenceless states in its sphere of influence.

I agree wiht ninebucks

This seems like a unrealistic one,I dont see how this makes any sense.But yes,if you can get a Communist America,you probably also have Commie Europe,so Red Iceland too I guess.

Hapsburg

Banned
Alright, I got it:
Iceland does not secede from Denmark in 1944, and instead remains, albeit grudgingly, a part of the Danish kingdom. However, postwar, after promises of independence from King Christian X come to naught, they rebel in 1945. A short, yet bloody, conflict in Iceland from 1945 to 1947 causes Icelandic independence under a republican constitution. However, communists overthrow the interim republic in a coup, with the popular support of Icelandic nationalists. Thus, the People's Republic of Iceland is formed in early 1949. The Icelandic Army is formed as a compulsory service force for the defense of the Republic. However, in an attempt to curry favor with the other powers, it slides away from Russian influence, and join the Non-Aligned Movement.
The PRI persists until 1976, when the conflict with Britain over fishing rights and territorial waters erupts into full-blown war between Iceland and the United Kingdom. After a bloody three-month conflict, Iceland is occupied by British forces, and eventually restored as a parliamentary democratic republic in 1981.

Maybe if Britain also becomes Communist (in the 20s). They could prevent a US takeover (and help Iceland becoming Communist in the 1st place).