The Star Republic: An Official Timeline of Texas Secession

Highlander

Banned
I'm gonna take a shot at writing a timeline - something I've tried several times before, but never managed to get off the ground. So, please, any assistance would be grand.

1836 - Upon the centralization of the Mexican government, along with several other grievances, several territories rebeled. Most notably was the Republic of Texas. Upon the defeat of the Santa Anna and the Mexican army, the Texas militia captured Anna. He was released after promising to leave Texas independant.

1836 - Upon returning to Mexico, Santa Anna presents the treaty before the Mexican Congres. They are weary of it, almost immidiatly rejected the treaty. However, when Texas offered to change it's southern border and the British offered to mediate, the Mexican Congres grudgingly accepted (with egging on from Anna). Mexico recognizes it as a free republic, with the Nueces river as it's souther border. Sam Houston is made the first President. The Republic recieved diplomatic relations with the United States, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and the Republic of Yukatan.

1837 - Sam Houston moves the capital to Houston.

Last edited:

Glen

I'm gonna take a shot at writing a timeline - something I've tried several times before, but never managed to get off the ground. So, please, any assistance would be grand.

1836 - Upon the centralization of the Mexican government, along with several other grievances, several territories rebeled. Most notably was the Republic of Texas. Upon the defeat of the Santa Anna and the Mexican army, the Texas militia captured Anna. He was released after promising to leave Texas independant.

1836 - Upon returning to Mexico, Santa Anna presents the treaty before the Mexican Congres. They are weary of it, almost immidiatly rejected the treaty. However, when Texas offered to change it's southern border and the British offered to mediate, the Mexican Congres grudgingly accepted (with egging on from Anna). Mexico recognizes it as a free republic, with the Nueces river as it's souther border. Sam Houston is made the first President. The Republic recieved diplomatic relations with the United States, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and the Republic of Yukatan.

1837 - Sam Houston moves the capital to Houston.

Why would the Texians offer to move the border to the Nueces?

Most notably was the Republic of Texas. Upon the defeat of the Santa Anna and the Mexican army, the Texas militia captured Anna. He was released after promising to leave Texas independant.

I'm assuming the War for Independence played out as in RL.

Why would the Texians offer to move the border to the Nueces?

It's Texans and yes, it does seem rather odd that the victors would concede this historically disputed area. Perhaps a more detailed explanation of the negotiations that took place?

It's Texans and yes, it does seem rather odd that the victors would concede this historically disputed area. Perhaps a more detailed explanation of the negotiations that took place?
actually it was texians, texans didnt come into use until after texas was annexed by the US

Glen

I'm assuming the War for Independence played out as in RL.

actually it was texians, texans didnt come into use until after texas was annexed by the US

I refuse to accept that due to its akward nature.

It was indeed Texian at the time. I actually like it, but in any case aesthetics do not trump history....except maybe in Alternate History.;)

They were Texians at the time. It would be important to also keep in mind how many were Anglos and how many were Mexicans. The history, and myths, of the Alamo are greatly white washed - in more ways than one.

It sounds good, but it escapes me of the importance of recognition by the Netherlands.

It would be more correct to state that the state of Texas (Tejas) rebelled and formed the Republic of Texas.

I agree with the other posters here. Historically, during 1836 and up to the day of annexation the people of Texas were called, and called themselves, Texian.

Also, I don't think the Texians would have any reason to abandon the Rio Grande boundary. The only way I could see them accepting the Nueces is if Mexico for whatever reason accepts the British offer of mediation. That would scare Washington into telling Texas that it would back the Texian claim to the Rio Grande if they would be annexed to the USA instead of the UK. And the Texians wanted annexation to the Union more than they wanted Dominion status in the British Empire or even continued indepedence -- at that time, the Republic didn't even have 40,000 people in it (30,000 whites), compared to Mexico's 7 million.

One should not over rate British influence in Mexico. It was practically none, since there were practically no British investments and little trade with Mexico in the 1830s.

That's right. OTL, the Mexican government poured scorn on the mediation offer from the British, figuring that they'd force the Texians to come to their senses and submit to Mexico City's terms. What arrogance.

Darkest

Banned
Get rid of Houston before the US annexation goes through. With him will congregate a party of individuals that want nothing other than to join the US, and will campaign on these ideas. Take down Houston, his side will weaken, and most of the attention will go to Lamar, with his nationalist, independent, expansionist platform.

Highlander

Banned
Get rid of Houston before the US annexation goes through. With him will congregate a party of individuals that want nothing other than to join the US, and will campaign on these ideas. Take down Houston, his side will weaken, and most of the attention will go to Lamar, with his nationalist, independent, expansionist platform.

Ah, that would make more sense - perhaps I'll change that.

As for the border, I got it from this passage from Wikipedia.

Texas tried to gain recognition from Mexico as an independent state, putting the Nueces River as the territorial limit on the negotiation table, to no avail.