WWII Pacific- Portugal involved after Macau, East Timor overrun

WI the Japs decided in Dec 1941 to overrun the Portuguese enclave of Macau just as they did with Hong Kong, instead of OTL observing Portuguese neutrality ? Of course, OTL the Japs also invaded Portuguese (east) Timor after Australian and Dutch forces violated Lisbon's neutrality by crossing from Dutch west Timor to pre-emptively garrison ET against Jap invasion, and eventually led to untold suffering for the local East Timorese ppl due to Japanese depradations after the Japs did invade. The Portuguese were actually considering reinforcing their local garrison with troops from the African colonies, which didn't happen, but WI they had done so ? How would the Pacific War have looked with the Portuguese also fightin side-by-sde as combatants against the japs alongside ABDA (and not just the Portuguese officials and civilians in ET helping the Australian commandos and local resistance fighters during the Jap occupation) ? How about ripples in Europe and Africa re Portugal's relations with the Axis ?

I can't imagine the contribution being significant - but certainty it will make an interesting difference. Post war situation of Portugal is likely to be a much stronger one, with the possibility of the monarchy surviving, with the will to hold onto its colonies with even greater colonial wars if they still occur.

A possible ripple for the war might be the entry of Spain. The annexation of Portugal would certainly be temping... but considering Franco's argument, this can't be assumed, despite it being a nice bit of incentive for entering the war.

I can't imagine the contribution being significant - but certainty it will make an interesting difference. Post war situation of Portugal is likely to be a much stronger one, with the possibility of the monarchy surviving, with the will to hold onto its colonies with even greater colonial wars if they still occur.

Why? It was abolished in 1910. Salazar though to restore the Monarchy but he didn't it because the pretendent was too much liberal in his opinion.

In my opinion, Portugal could declare war on Japan but not on Germany. This even could cause a Spanish war declaration against Japan due to the recent Manila incident.

In my opinion, Portugal could declare war on Japan but not on Germany. This even could cause a Spanish war declaration against Japan due to the recent Manila incident.

Hmm, would Hitler subsequently attack Spain and Portugal to help its ally and to get the Japanese into the war with Russia?