Jurassic Park WI

One day I heard a rumor about Jurassic Park. Apparently, one of the first projects to make a film about the novel was a gore action film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dr. Alan "Kickthefuckingdinosaurs" Grant. However, Spielberg got the rights before and made his all-family film with Mesozoic monsters.

Well, I suppose that this story about Arnold was only a joke, but let's suppose now that this actually happened. What would be the world without all 1993 kids reading books about dinosaurs and wishing to become palaeontologists?

Jurassic Park would work well like that. The novel is pretty violent considering that Nedry and Dr.Wu both get gutted and Hammond is torn apary by Compys, in addition to Genaro getting mauled to death by the young T-Rex.

Jurassic Park would work well like that. The novel is pretty violent considering that Nedry and Dr.Wu both get gutted and Hammond is torn apary by Compys, in addition to Genaro getting mauled to death by the young T-Rex.

Actually, that was Ed Regis who got killed by the Rex. Gennaro survived, but died of a disease on a business trip not long afterwards.

Sorry for the nitpicking.....:eek:

I think Land Before Time, Barney and the sheer coolness of Dinosaurs had already assured dinosaurs as a favorite of all children. An r-rated dino-killing flick would probably be a big budget blockbuster, and might even spawn a few sequels, but they'd probably all be straight to video.

I don't think making Jurrassic Park more obviously aimed at an adult audience (presumably by bumping up the gore a little so it would get an R rating) would really cut down on children's love of dinosaurs; that was around a long time before the movie came out and will probably still be around when nobody will have ever heard of the movie or book.

Didn't the guy who was the main character in the second movie actually die in the book? On that note, if Ahnuld did the movie would we still get the progressively crappier sequels?

Sounds like it would make a great cult classic film. I did want to see someone kill a big dino in one of the Jurassic Park movies just for that "WTF pwned!" feeling inside of me.

Didn't the guy who was the main character in the second movie actually die in the book? On that note, if Ahnuld did the movie would we still get the progressively crappier sequels?
Ian Malcolm? No, he survived in the novel for The Lost World as well as in the movie, though he did get mauled quite a lot in Jurassic Park.

As for the origins of the dino-craze of the early 1990s, weren't there a few high-profile paleontological expeditions whose finds went on tour in the early 1990s? I remember one called The Dinosaur Project that did a nice survey of the Gobi Desert in Mongolia, the Albertan Badlands, and some of Alaska, and brought back quite a number of finds. I remember seeing the exhibit when it was in Toronto in '93. I think I still have some souveniers from the visit stashed away somewhere.

On a related matter, wasn't the 1990s the time when the public perception of dinosaurs finally shifted over from the "sluggish lizards" mode to the more dynamic image we see today? I know a lot of the major new theories appeared in the 1960s and 1970s, but didn't it take quite a while to make the switch-over?

MrP

Banned
I think there's a reference at the end of JP to him dying, then at the beginning of LW he jokes that "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Just checked. In the last couple of pages are a couple of references to his death and "The government of Costa Rica . . . did not even permit the burial of Hammond or Ian Malcolm." He's never shown to be dead, but his death is reported on p.397 of my paperback (the section titled Approaching Dark) by Muldoon shaking his head in response to Grant's asking after him.

That's right. He died in at the end of Jurassic Park. When he's asked about in The Lost World he just makes a comment about "the miricles of modern medicine" or words to that effect.

You know it's funny I've always thought the reason the mainstream knew about DNA was because of Jurrasic Park, so maybe that would change :p

(but this is a personal view)

God, that would be awful. Jurassic Park as it is has always been one of my favorite movies. To have the original screwed up even worse than those hideous sequels... *shudders*

That said, kids are going to like dinosaurs no matter what you do. The most you can do is increase the interest and change the brand name on the toys.

My top tree list off Jurassic Park ipmrovement:

1: Arnie action. Kill them of and dont mind the enviromentalists.

2: Bikini babes.

3: Biplanes. I admit that I considers a two seated biplane cooler then a airship.
4: Airships

That reminds me that the original casting of Face/Off was supposed to be Arnie and Sly- how could you tell the difference?

Regarding Berra's post:-

6. Put the dinosaurs in a city, not in the jungle. It's much more fun watching them knock down office buildings, particularly if the buildings have a passing resemblance to your place of work.

I suppose I'm just an unreconstructed Godzilla fan.

Regarding Berra's post:-

6. Put the dinosaurs in a city, not in the jungle. It's much more fun watching them knock down office buildings, particularly if the buildings have a passing resemblance to your place of work.

I suppose I'm just an unreconstructed Godzilla fan.

Agreed. You have to admit that while 1998's Godzilla wasn't a particularly great movie, it was pretty fun to watch Godzilla flatten New York City.

Agreed. You have to admit that while 1998's Godzilla wasn't a particularly great movie, it was pretty fun to watch Godzilla flatten New York City.

Well, in The Lost World, the T-Rex goes on a major ramapge in San Diego looking for its infant; I agree....although the thought of being afraid of seeing vilocoraptors everytime you pass an alley would be interesting behavior to whitness after a crowd exits a theater......:D