Sons of Alexander TL

I've decided to set down a proper TL for the world in which my Sons of Alexander stories are set.

Initial POD: Alexander does not die young but instead lives twenty more years. He conducts a second campaign into India and manages to seize the Indus Valley. He takes an Indian princess as another wife and fathers a son, Heraklios, on her in 325 BC

307 BC: Alexander appoints the 18 year old Heraklios as Satrap of the Indus. Heraklios takes well to his new position, conducting some minor but successful campaigns against recalcitrant Indian vassal states.

305 BC: Alexander dies. Immediately, the Empire erupts in chaos as the satraps and Alexanders children begin to grab at the reins of power. Almost all of Alexanders adult children are slain in the first confused months. Only Heraklios, safely in India with a strongly loyal army, survives.

304-300 BC: The first Diadochi war. The Empire descends further into chaos. In India, the Diadochi war sets off a chain reaction as various vassal kingdoms, sensing that the time is ripe to drive the Greeks from India begin to fight against Heraklios and each other. The war ripples outwards until almost all of India is involved. Heraklios is fortunate in that Selukos, Satrap of Persia is too busy fending off Ptolemy and Antigonos in the West to have time to campaign to the East across the Hindu Kush. Still, the fighting in India is terrible and entire districts are depopulated. As the dust settles, Heraklios has managed to expand his power base, playing off the Indian kings against each other. He takes the title of Basileos of India, ruling as overlord of almost all of North India from the Hindu Kush to the Ganges Delta.

299-288 BC: The canny Heraklios decides to attempt to Indianise his realm, and begins a propaganda campaign to syncreticise Hinduism with Greek religion and philosophy. Most importantly, he establishes an Imperial cult declaring that his father, Alexander, was in fact the tenth incarnation of Vishnu. This cult of the Tenth Avatar flourishes. Due to the almost wholesale destruction and depopulation of many areas, the socio-religious landscape of India is ripe for reform with many of the old religious hierarchies massacred. Heraklios' syncreticism gains power. Meanwhile, the knock-on effects of the Diadochi war continue to makes themselves felt in South India where the carnage is appalling.

Many South Indian kings request Heraklid help against their rivals and through careful manouevering, Heraklios becomes somewhat of a kingmaker. In exchange, he recieves the vassalage of the rulers he has helped. By 330 BC, he is the de facto emperor of almost all of India, not ruling directly but as overlord and King of Kings. Eager to extend his nascent syncretic Indo-Greek culture further into India, Heraklios shifts his capital from Hastinapura in North India to a new city which he builds in the far South at the site of OTL Cochin. This city, which he names Alexandria Herakles will forever after be the base of his Imperial operations.

288-265 BC: During this period, Heraklios consolidates his empire. Though much of the Empire consists of vassal kingdoms, other areas were granted to the Emperor himself by grateful vassals. Heraklios settles many of his Greek soldiers and mercenaries in these areas, making their settlements the nuclei of Greek-style poleis. He further divides the Empire into provinces, each overseen by a Governor. While the vassal kings and polei councils oversee their own districts, they in turn must report to these Imperial Governors.

265 BC: The Second Diadochi War. In this war, India's manpower problems begin to show. So much of the population was killed in the earlier round of wars that the Heraklid forces, even with the levies sent by the vassal kings, are hard pressed to defend the North-Western Frontier against the Selucids. Although no gains are made in this war, no major losses are either and the situation returns to status quo with the frontier staying at the natural Indo-Persian border along the Hindu Kush. It will take generations for India's population to regenerate. However, one of the effects of this drastic loss of manpower is that the caste system begins to crumble. The old Indian social order cannot maintain itself with so mayn diverse jobs to be done and not enough people to do them. Slowly, the syncretic Indo-Greek culture will begin to replace the old Indian one.

262 BC: Heraklios dies to be succeeded by his son, Heraklios II Vishnudharma

Interesting beginning. So the deitification of Alexander and his offspring secures the succession.
Haven't read your stories, but this looks promising.

Interesting beginning. So the deitification of Alexander and his offspring secures the succession.
Haven't read your stories, but this looks promising.

Well, it's just Alexander who's deified. As far as I can tell, there's no historical precedent in Indian culture, unlike in Egyptian culture, for a King actually being worshipped as a god during his lifetime.

I'll add more to this tomorrow or later tonight.

Basically the framework I'm using for the administrative setup of this Indo-Greek Empire is that which worked for the British- some areas governed directly, some by local rulers. Also, since I want to break the caste system, the poleis that are being established will serve as seeds of Hellenic culture. This split between polei-governed territories and vassal states will prove very important later on.

Here's a map of the Diadochi states:

Diadochi.gif

I'm not too much into Indian history and didn't know of this not being common practice.
But then the claim of decendancy from some deity or somebody deified was also seen in Scandinavia and keeps our royal house in place. ;)

Here's a map of the Diadochi states:

Diadochi.gif
Wasn't Persepolis burned during Alexander's conquest? I also don't think any Greek would want to set his capital in the old Persian one. What about Seulucia? Or Babylon? Alexander had apparently planned to make a capital out of the latter.

Wasn't Persepolis burned during Alexander's conquest? I also don't think any Greek would want to set his capital in the old Persian one. What about Seulucia? Or Babylon? Alexander had apparently planned to make a capital out of the latter.

You're right- I had overlooked that. Babylon it is, then!

262-252 BC: It was during the reign of Heraklios II that the Heraklid Empire's policy of isolationism towards the West began. While the Emperor ensured that the passes through the Hindu Kush were well fortified, he made it Imperial policy to make no overtly threatening moves towards the Selucid domains. In order to cement this campaign towards peace, Heraklios II brokered the marriage of one of his daughters to the Selucid Emperor while accepting the Emperor's own sister as the bride of his eldest son, Ganesha.

With the division of Alexander's Empire generally settled by this point, trade across the entire Hellenic world from Sicily to India began to increase. Among the most valuable commodities were the spices of the Indies and the silks of China. As the Heraklid Empire sat square on the sea trade routes from the East Indies to the Middle East it was clear that the potential wealth of the Empire might rival even that of Egypt.

However, one major problem had to first be addressed. The East Indies were, though rich in spices and gold, a hornets nest of pirates. The trading fleets that set out each year returned decimated by their attacks. It was clear that something had to be done and Prince Ganesha was eager to tackle the problem...

What gets traded from West to East?

Unless there's some significant trade good then it'll end up being a gold and silver sink, and drain the West of currency, with all sorts of unfortunate effects.

What gets traded from West to East?

Unless there's some significant trade good then it'll end up being a gold and silver sink, and drain the West of currency, with all sorts of unfortunate effects.

Wine, amber and the like, I was thinking.

Hendryk

Banned
Excellent idea to set up a proper TL to go with the stories :cool:

Mmh, how about asking one of our master mapmakers to come up with something to make the geography of the Heraklid empire clearer?

252-235BC: Prince Ganesha recognised that in order to successfully protect the annual trading fleets that sailed to and from the East Indies, the Empire needed an effective oceangoing navy. While the dhows and other merchant ships were capable of crossing the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian sea, the galleys of the Heraklid navy were unable to do so. Ganesha instituted a programme of having a fleet of dhows made for the Imperial Navy and set forth for the East Indies in 247BC. Along the way, he made a point of visiting the Indianised Rajas of Malaya and Indonesia, recieving their oaths as vassals of the Heraklid Emperor and giving gifts in return. At the same time, he was scouting for a naval base, a place to set up an exclave of the Empire. He found what he was looking for on the island of Tumasik (Singapore). In exchange for a particularly large display of Imperial largess, the Raja of Riau, who owned Tumasik, bequeathed the island to the House of Heraklios in perpetuity. Immediately Ganesha detailed half of his dhow fleet to commence work on building a commercial port and naval base on the island. Though at first this would be little more than a fort, over the years it would grow to become the largest trading port in the East Indies.

It was at Tumasik that Ganesha, ever on the lookout for maritime innovations, first encountered the Chinese junks. Impressed by the seaworthiness and versatility of the design, he purchased the argest merchant junk he could find. He had truly found oceanworthy vessels and it was his intention to begin to revamp the fleet and construct vessels of this design.

Thanks for the info:) (poor Chandragupta:D )

Good timeline, with the presence of a greco-macedonian-indu kingdom that controls the most part of India I suppose the comercial and political relations with China are far stronger than in OTL.

I see also the presence of the Antigonid Kingdom (I suppose ruled by Antigonus Monoftalm and his son Demetrius Poliorcetes), When the romans advance against Tarentum in TTL Antigonid Kingdom intervened? and if the answer is yes what was the outcome of this struggle?

Thanks for the info:) (poor Chandragupta:D )

Good timeline, with the presence of a greco-macedonian-indu kingdom that controls the most part of India I suppose the comercial and political relations with China are far stronger than in OTL.

I see also the presence of the Antigonid Kingdom (I suppose ruled by Antigonus Monoftalm and his son Demetrius Poliorcetes), When the romans advance against Tarentum in TTL Antigonid Kingdom intervened? and if the answer is yes what was the outcome of this struggle?

I'm keeping this TL in step with the stories I wrote which means that on the whole not much changes in the West. The Selucids last longer than they did in OTL, managing to fight off the Parthians, but other than that not much changes- Rome will still rise on schedule.

It's not too realistic, I know, but I don't really care about being stringent about butterflies if it's in the cause of setting up the scene for a story.

No problem, the important is to maintain the cohesion with your stories of Sons of Alexander:)

Apart of this the rise of Roman could be accomplished more or less with the same schedule, make the antigonid empire confronted with Ptolemian, mixed with internal problems with Greece + gauls and this could weaken the sufficient the Diadochi kingdoms in the Eastern Mediterranean to make possible a similar rise of Rome.

Heraklid India: The New Order

The long, peaceful reign of Heraklios II had seen India begin to put itself together again. Though the population was still nowhere near what it had been before the Diadochi Wars, it was well on the way to recovery. Most importantly, the old social order had finally subcumbed to the new Indo-Greek culture of the Heraklids. The caste system was unable to sustin itself and would never rise again- this was actually incorporated into the Imperial Cult. According to it's teachings, Alexander had been the Tenth Avatar of Vishnu himself, come to break caste and establish a new order. Now, while people in the various princely states and poleis that made up the Heraklid Empire followed their local Hindu or Greek cults at a local level, they would all also pay respect to the Imperial Cult- few villages did not have at least a small, crude altar to the Tenth Avatar. Even the local cults showed elements of syncreticism. Hindu and Greek gods and goddesses began to be conflated and worshipped as one.

Heraklios II had spent much of his reign improving and beautifying the capital, Alexandria Herakles. It was located at the mouth of a great bay, opening onto the Arabian Sea and Heraklios had spent vast amounts of money expanding the city from the fishing villages and trading town that had formerly occupied the site. Grandest of his creations was a proper royal palace, the Heraklion, situated on an island in the mouth of the bay. The Heraklion was like a city within a city, housing all the Imperial offices. It was connected to the mainland by a huge bridge and supplied with water by an aqueduct, seperate to the city's own main aqueduct. It was under Heraklios II that the Imperial Court was divided into three bureaus, each responsible for a different aspect of Imperial governance. First was the Court of Ivory, responsible for the administration of the vassal kingdoms and poleis which made up most of the Empire. Second was the Court of Ebony, responsible for military and naval matters as well as foreign relations. Third and greatest was the Court of Pearls, directly responsible to the Emperor himself. The Court of Pearls managed those territories of their Empire that were directly under Imperial governance. It also had other duties like managing the Imperial Household and collecting taxes.

Heraklios the Mariner

It was in 235BC that Heraklios II died, to be succeeded by Heraklios III Ganesha. The long, peaceful reign of his father had left Ganesha's treasury in a very good condition. It was his intention to use this wealth to bring the far flung Indianised kingdoms of the East even closer under the aegis of the Heraklids.

As such, Ganesha threw his energies into revamping the structure of the Imperial fleet. He redoubled the shipbuilding programme he had started while still crown prince, with the aim of converting the Heraklid fleet's stock from dhows and galleys to the Chinese-style junks, or djongai as the Indo-Greeks called them.

He also began taking measures to organise the Eastern trade to protect it from the great pirate hordes that made trading in the East so difficult. Every winter, a Heraklid fleet would set sail from Alexandria Herakles to the naval base at Tumasik. Any merchants who wanted the protection of the Fleet would be free to sail with it. At Tumasik, the fleet would disperse into squadrons which would travel the archipelago, with Imperial officals aboard to collect tribute from vassal kings and with the authority to use the marines that each Imperial ship carried to intervene in local conflicts where necessary. In this way, the vassal kings could be kept in yearly contact with the capital and stability could be maintained. In the summer, the fleet would return to Tumasik and take advantage of the summer monsoon to set off back to India.

This yearly progression to and from the Archipelago became formalised as the Annual Expedition. It served to keep the vassals in touch with the Empire itself and though the risk of pirates was ever present, the Imperial naval presence served to keep it under control.

HeraklidAsia.jpg

In 220 BC, envoys were exchanged with the Ch'in Emperor. The two Empires managed to achieve a rough accord of their spheres of influence in South-East Asia. Though in later years, this Line of Control would prove to be a flashpoint for conflict, it served to keep the peace most of the time.