West Florida

This is a rather obscure piece of history I know, but what if despite all improbability The Republic of West Florida survived, and was not annexed into the United States?

This is a rather obscure piece of history I know, but what if despite all improbability The Republic of West Florida survived, and was not annexed into the United States?

It´s an interesting question. It´s trade would be mostly focused with USA and Florida would probably end up as a beach resort for Americans and so on.

I think the economies would be so intertwined that Florida would be bound to take up the dollar and negotiate some free trade agreement.

I don´t know how you´d pull this off though.

i doubt it would last very long as a indepentant country, maybe 10-20 years, but by the the economies of the US and West Florida, plus migration into West Florida would push it into becoming a state

I believe that that is a very interesting idea, hey West Florida could even be the American Monaco. As for West Florida pulling off its independence this is quite trickey, maybe they would receive support of some European power, or give the U.S. special rights of passage, but this is rather trickey, and I do need to become more well versed on the history of the period.

It's not that they'd pose any threat to the US. OTOH, I don't see what the advantage of staying independent would be, in an age when neither mass tourism nor tax havens existed.

And why only West Florida, BTW?

HelloLegend

Banned
I believe that that is a very interesting idea, hey West Florida could even be the American Monaco. As for West Florida pulling off its independence this is quite trickey, maybe they would receive support of some European power, or give the U.S. special rights of passage, but this is rather trickey, and I do need to become more well versed on the history of the period.

Does Monaco have an army of mosquitoes?

It's not that they'd pose any threat to the US. OTOH, I don't see what the advantage of staying independent would be, in an age when neither mass tourism nor tax havens existed.

And why only West Florida, BTW?

Well, I mainly started this thread because I am from the area of former West Florida, and I think that it is one of the more interesting things that happened in the region