Jewish Zion in Western America

Darkest

Banned
I know this has been spoken of before, but I cannot run a successful search to find it. What are the possibilities of the Jews moving to the west in the light of the lack of the rise of Mormonism? Is there any way to give them the drive to push forward into the Salt Lake Valley (or even California) and establish a sort of homeland away from anti-Semitism?

Still running searches... Thank you for any suggestions on the idea.

HelloLegend

Banned
I know this has been spoken of before, but I cannot run a successful search to find it. What are the possibilities of the Jews moving to the west in the light of the lack of the rise of Mormonism? Is there any way to give them the drive to push forward into the Salt Lake Valley (or even California) and establish a sort of homeland away from anti-Semitism?

There is a park named Zion National Park in southern Utah.
I think to push the Mormons out of the Salt Lake Valley would take some
muscle. However, the St. George area might be a good location for a Zionist settlement.

Darkest

Banned
Zion is a notable world in Mormon culture, its just not Israel. Its Salt Lake City.

And, we are assuming the Mormons were butterflied away. The west is still empty.

There is a park named Zion National Park in southern Utah.
I think to push the Mormons out of the Salt Lake Valley would take some
muscle. However, the St. George area might be a good location for a Zionist settlement.

Could you do the board a favor and think for 15 seconds before posting? Stop ruining perfectly good threads with your nonsensical crap.

The problem is, there were not sizable Jewish communities anywhere in the United States until the late 1800's. The only large Jewish communities in the world were in Russia and Eastern Europe, and the problems there had not yet intensified to the point where there would have been any drive for a Jewish homeland. Even if there had been, the Western United States (a part of Mexico at the time the Mormons migrated) would never have been considered for a homeland by anyone except groups living along the U.S.'s western frontier at the time. The POD would have to go so far back as to make the U.S. almost unrecognizable to change those factors.

The thread you are speaking of is here.

Darkest

Banned
There was someone named Mordachai Noah, a Democratic and later Whig politician who attempted to establish "Israel" in I think upstate New York...this was in the 1830s....you could have Noah move out into the Dakotas, or into OTL Wyoming (or even Utah...
biggrin.gif
) and have a more sucessful movement to recruit Jews from the German states, Austria-Hungary, Poland, and Russia (among other locales). Just an idea.

This looks like an interesting figure.

Earlier Russian Pogroms + Stronger Anti-Semitism in Britain + More Ambitious Mordachai Noah + Time = Jewish Colonies in the West?

How about Oregon? That might throw a wrench into the whole Oregon boundary feud.

Still, there is a point in that there needs to be more persecution against the Jews to start pushing them to do cool stuff.

I don't think the idea of settling out in the trackless American West would occur to anyone living east of Nauvoo, Illinois. Even if we had, say, a Jewish merchant from one of the Western territories who proposed the idea, I don't think most European Jews would be at all interested.

Darkest

Banned
You are right. It would take a considerable deal of Anti-Semitism to drive them into the wilderness. Or just some ideological movement.

It doesn't have to be a lot of Jews, though. 10,000 - 20,000 could do wonders for an Westamerican Zion. They'd probably settle the coast of California, if any place. They are more of a 'city' people anyway.

"Visit Yerba Buena, the ghetto-free Jewish paradise of the western American frontier! The finest kosher and dradles on the continent!"

Xen

Banned
How would the US react to this? Not very well, when the Mormons settled in Deseret, it was then a part of Mexico, then it was conquered by the USA. Now maybe if we have something like the Spanish Inquisition happen in Russia, and Eastern Europe, lets say after Napoleon is beaten, then the Jewish population might look to the US earlier, but not find any warmer reception there, so they mover farther west, settling in maybe Sonora, or parts of Arizona, having the Gulf of California as a coast line, or maybe around the Rio Grande?

You could also come up with an earlier Israel if Napoleon wins, he would build it right there in Palestine.