• Aven

Votes: 69 51.5%
  • ndeignacio

Votes: 65 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krall

Banned
On the 5th of June 2015 the voting for MotF 119: Blink and You'll Miss It 2 ended in a tie between two mapmakers - Aven and ndeignacio. To break this tie they were given the following challenge:

In At the Death

Make a map showing the aftermath of a war in which one side was forced into unconditional surrender.​

The winner shall be decided by a simple poll with a simple question: Whose map is best?

Aven's Entry

morocco_small_by_soaringaven-d93a3gf.png

Link to full size version on deviantart

Some people call it the third world war but most analysts agree that the only war happened in Europe and the rest were minor skirmishes. However it is undeniable that they are all linked. When the Russian block clashed with NATO, many wished for a conflict in their own country or region took the chance when the powers were distracted. One such minor skirmish happened as the Russians made a breakthrough in the Dardanelles. Morocco saw its chance and finally seized control of the long-contested Plazas de soberanía in the north, including Ceuta and Mellila. And they might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those damn Americans and their dumb ships! (cookie to the one who gets the reference). The taskforce which had been sent to push back the Russians in the Mediterranean received news of these two African outposts being overrun just as they were entering the gulf of Cadiz. Fearing that Morocco may have decided to side with Russia and attempt to seal off Gibraltar straits, giving the Russians time to establish holdings in the Agaean sea and possibly as far as Crete, an amphibious landing was executed in Tangiers, Telouan and Ceuta. With the straits secure, the teskforce moved to stop the Black Sea fleet from moving forward. As the war wound to an end, NATO turned their eyes south at where the Moroccans were desperately trying to push out the better trained and equipped American troops. Spanish troops returning home soon followed up with landings all along the northern coast and a coordinated strike in the south with the SADR. Very soon the combined troops were pushing towards Rabat in the north and crossing the Western Sahara - Morocco border in the south. The Moroccan troops crumbling under the assault and almost constantly retreating, the king was forced to sue for peace. The allies saw that they couldn't have an unpredictable country with an aggressive past holding the straits. So a decision was made to split it along ethnic lines into three countries friendly towards the NATO to keep a watch on the Moroccan rump state.

The Rif Republic - The Rif idea was resurrected from the old colonial days rebel state and is a Berber state heavily dependent on trade with Spain. Some say that it is a buffer state created to protect the Spanish possessions but that's completely untrue

The High Atlas Berber Federation - A joint state of three ethno-linguistic Berber groups along with two areas of mixed Arab-Berber populations in a quintuple federation.

The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic - The rest of Western Sahara was delivered into their hands but the politicians to lead it are western-picked before they are presented to the public for elections as the West is fearful of an attempt to seize power in this state flooded in weapons.

and finally, The Kingdom of Morocco - the state was handed to the son of the old Moroccan king, the eighteen-year old Moulay Hassan I. along with several NATO military bases and a whole army of European "advisers".

ndeignacio's entry is separate in the next post, due to size.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
ndeignacio's Entry

map_duel___copia_by_ndeignacio-d95k0sc.png

[This is a spin-off of my MOTF 119 entry (http://orig13.deviantart.net/3831/f/2015/179/0/f/rise_and_fall_of_the_platonic_southern_republic_by_ndeignacio-d8z2giz.png), so let me explain a few things. After the lands
of the former “Platonic Southern Republic” were incorporated as a Spanish colony, years passed, and as its sinister reputation faded, many settlers
established in Greater Java, seeking a new life in the antipodes of Europe. However, some territorial claims of both the royal colony and the Oriental
Asian Corporation overlapped. Sooner than later this caused conflict, as some settlers coming from Nouvo Atenas were shot by O.A.C. after they refused to
leave. After reaching Valladolid, this news caused outrage in the Spanish government, already suspicious of the growing power of the O.A.C. Investigations
were conducted by civil authorities, discovering a large amount of irregularities, which leaded to the decision of intervening to nationalize the O.A.C. after
its troops refused to help and attacked the Spanish investigators. This way the “Corporation Wars” began.]

THE WAR OF THE UNITED PROVINCES COMPANY AND THE PEACE OF CALAIS
Although the so-called “Corporation Wars” started as a border dispute between the Spanish based Oriental Asian Corporation (O.A.C.) and the
Spanish Colony of Greater Java, the conflict would eventually grow to global proportions. After the irregularities held by the O.A.C. were
discovered, other governments started investigating their countries main trade companies. This turned especially problematic in the United
Provinces, where the United Provinces Company (U.P.C.), the most rich and powerful corporation in the world, was based. Following the discovery
that many members of the Supreme Court (Parliament) had been bribed and that the U.P.C. was involved in many suspicious activities, the United
Provinces government accused it of high treason and threatened with nationalize it. This caused outrage in many countries, such as Italy, England,
Burgundy, Bavaria or the Christian Union of German Republics (C.U.G.R.), whose citizens and governments held many interests in the U.P.C.
Finally, the 2th of September of 1736, the U.P.C was nationalized. However, its vast fleet (the second largest in the world) would not be swiftly
handed to the government as, a week later and backed by England, France, Bavaria, Burgundy and the C.U.R.G., it would declare war against it.
Only Spain, Majorca and Aquitaine would give a mild support to the civil government of the United Companies. Thus the “War of the United Provinces
Company” started.
Although the events that triggered it were distinct, the development of the war was not very different than others. As Spain was engaged (at a
smaller degree, though) in its own conflict with the O.A.C., it was not able to give enough support to the United Provinces, limiting to just occupy
some holdings in India. Meanwhile, the pro-corporative coalition would swiftly take control of almost all the United Provinces colonies (although
many concessions were made to allied countries in order to get their support). At the same time, the metropolis was divided between the two bands,
as many of its inhabitants worked or had interests in the U.P.C. The governmental faction eventually controlled the mainland, though. However,
deprived from most of its fleet, it was not able to be a significant threat to its neighboring enemies, limiting to occasional raids and to defense itself.
The so-called “metropolitan troops” would eventually prove themselves very skillful in the defense of the core territories, which resisted more than
two years the attacks of the corporative coalition. However, London would eventually fall on the 27th of January and, ten days later, The Hague, the
last governmental bastion in continental Europe, would suffer the same destiny. Although a considerable proportion of the population had already
fled to the relatively safer countryside, it is calculated that around 300.000 civilians died during the last weeks of the war.
As the metropolitan front turned into bloodshed, the situation in the United Provinces colonies, seized in the earlier stages of the war, was
more peaceful after certain forts and islands were handed to U.P.C. allies in exchange for their cooperation. The only conflict points were India,
where the western possession were occupied by Spain, and Western Africa, where Spain conquered the relatively small fort of Gouden Kaap, next to
the Canary Islands. More interesting, however, was the situation in thee little island of New Frisia, which was captured by the newly formed United
Brazilian Communes (U.B.C), which at that time had just got a mildly peaceful independence from Spain, but would not be recognized by their
former metropolis until several weeks before the Peace of Calais, in which they also participated.
The Calais Peace Conference was held nearly a month later after the unconditional surrender of the United Provinces Government. The U.P.C.,
England, France, Burgundy, Bavaria, the C.U.G.R., Spain, Aquitaine and the U.B.C. participated, as well as the Rhenish Union, Hamborg, Italy and
Majorca, as observers. The treaty, known as the Peace of Calais, would literally destroy the previous political and economic order in the United
Provinces, giving almost supreme power to the U.P.C., which onwards would simply be known as “The Company”. The treaty stated as follows:

1. The United Provinces government recognized being guilty of causing the war and the destruction it produced.
2. The United Provinces government recognized the United Provinces Company and would compensate the material damages it caused it during the war.
3. In India, the forts of Hasira, Goa and the territory known as Tamil, and in Africa, the fort of Gouden Kaap, were handed to Spain.
4. In Indonesia, the fort of Pulau, and in Africa, the fort of Jamesport, were handed to England.
5. In India, the fort of Rajapalonj was handed to Burgundy.
6. In Northern Brazil, the western part of the island of Kisqueya was handed to the Christian Union of German Republics.
7. In Africa, the island of New Frisia was handed to the United Brazilian Communes.
8. The remaining colonial territories as well as the city of Calais (after the Republic of Calais was partitioned) were annexed by the United Provinces
Company, as “Company Territories”.
9. The United Provinces Company was given the exclusive right in the United Provinces of establishing colonies and relations (such as protectorates)
with native states.
10. The United Provinces Company was given the exclusive right in the United Provinces of trading with the colonies.
11. England, France, Burgundy, the C.U.G.R. and Bavaria were exempted from paying transit fees in the Saint James River for 15 years.
12. All the republics that formerly constituted the United Provinces were abolished. The associated states of the United Provinces (Republic of Rheinberg,
Republic of Meppen and County of Oldenburg) suffered the same fate.
13. England annexed the Republic of Sothern Mercia and the Republic of East Anglia, as well as the western half of the Republic of Sussex.
14. Burgundy annexed the territories of the Republic of Calais apart from the city proper, the Republic of Seeland (except Moerdijk and Goree) and the
Republic of Rheinberg (associated state of the United Provinces).
15. The Christian Union of German Republics annexed the Republic of Cleves, part of the republic of Overissel, the Republic of Munster, most of the
Republic of Emden and the Republic of Meppen and County of Oldenburg (associated states of the United Provinces). This way, the C.U.G.R. assured its
access to the North Sea.
16. Bavaria received the small territories of Moerdijk and Goree, guarantying access to the Atlantic Ocean via the Rhine River.
17. The City of Calais, now in corporate hands, was made the Headquarters of the United Provinces Company.
18. Regarding the new government of the United Provinces, the Supreme Court would be formed by limited suffrage, rather than by representatives of
the former republics. The United Provinces Company would be able to elect 25 representatives from the 110 that constituted the chamber.
19. The United Provinces Company would have power of veto over economic and diplomatic decisions coming from the Supreme Court.
20. All of the shares formerly in United Province’s government hands would be auctioned publicly, as well as many public buildings and properties.
In conclusion, with the Peace of Calais, the United Companies became the first corporate state in the world, being de facto controlled by the U.P.C. However,
the Company itself gained a considerable amount of power because, while being dependent on foreign interests and losing some territories, the most valuable
parts, both colonial (now under full U.P.C. control) and metropolitan, were retained.

I did not just make this a tie again on purpose. I didn't look at the results before I voted.

Seriously.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
fight to the death.

That was the original plan instead of a Map Duel, but apparently coercing people into killing each other is "illegal". :rolleyes:

I'm actually not sure what to do if this poll is tied. Maybe find one of my meatspace friends and ask them to cast the deciding vote? I certainly don't want to do *another* Map Duel, and deciding it by coin flip would be entirely arbitrary.

If this poll is a tie, I think Aven and ndeignacio should be declared joint winners, each receiving half a win. It seems the fairest thing to do, and they both deserve the winner status after all this anyway. (have to give half-wins though to avoid messing up the statistics)

I just voted, and I wasn't even the tiebreaker. I seem to have widened the already present gap. Decide the victor whenever you feel ready. Both are excellent maps, and I congratulate their authors.

That was the original plan instead of a Map Duel, but apparently coercing people into killing each other is "illegal". :rolleyes:

But what if they volunteer?

I mean, still sucks for the winner who has now won the contest and an all expenses paid stay for life in a prison, but...

Krall

Banned
I made a mistake in my selection (yes, I know, what an idiot) is there any way of cancelling it?

Ah, I'm afraid not. If you tell me who you voted for and who you meant to vote for then we can see if it would've changed the results of the poll once the voting has closed, and resolve it then if needs be. :)

Ryan

Donor
Ah, I'm afraid not. If you tell me who you voted for and who you meant to vote for then we can see if it would've changed the results of the poll once the voting has closed, and resolve it then if needs be. :)

and then that change makes the votes tied :p