Bigger Deseret?

deseret_state_2.jpg

How would this affect the world - especially the Union - today? This was the original plan for the State of Deseret.
It may have touched off a Mexican War, giving Mormons a chance to fight for their new homeland and in their fervor give the Mormon Battalion a really good name.
Acceptance this early implies acceptance of polygamy as well. This would really chafe some Easterners and keep the LDS church inside the Corridor.
And some really popular territory in southern California is there too - if I'm not mistaken the city centers of Los Angeles and San Diego lie in Mormon country.

an Longer lasting...Mexican War is My POD...If the Mormon officals wit long enough and waits on the fences to see which side wins. Both Mexico and The U.S., greater loss of Life during the war and may cause an depression in Both countries. So out of spite, The Mexicans give the lands to the Mormons. Which mean's two things Larger Population(May need an crusade to convert) for the Mormon Battalion and Desert know is sitting on an gold Mine.

Diamond

Banned
Windsor said:
And some really popular territory in southern California is there too - if I'm not mistaken the city centers of Los Angeles and San Diego lie in Mormon country.

From that map, San Diego would definitely be in Mormon territory, but it looks as if the western border is just a bit to the east of where Los Angeles lies.

My two cents: If by some chance a nation of Deseret is formed, there's no way in hell either Mexico or the US would give up ANY land along the coast, especially San Diego, a great harbor. And lets not forget the British; I don't think they'd be too enthused about having an expanded Deseret which at some point in the future might start making noises northward towards Oregon and BC.

POD - instead of trying the Illinios Settlements The LSDs move west sooner. [pre texas indedenpence] they settle in Nevada along of Utah, this gives them acess to several siver mines. they use this money to buy [fee soverign] territory from Mexico, following the Texas revolt. Mexico reconizes them as a independent country, and during [following ] the Mexican/American war over Texas, Mexico Sell Parts of Arizonia/South California to Deseret. to keep [spite] them out of US takeover. of Course this would lead to a US/Deseret War, several years later.

The Mormons lack the population to hold such large territory since the vast majority of that region is unpopulated when they first arrive there. What may start out as large will most likely be cut down to a more manageable size later. It will be very hard for them to maintain an insistance on the paramountcy of the Mormon Church upon new settlers and they certainly aren't going to be able to convert the already Catholic areas of California, those areas between San Diego and Los Angeles.

This was not the original plan for the nation of Deseret. This is the state - the Mormon pioneers formed the plans for the nation when this state was rejected by the U.S. This is part of America. But I see no one likes a solid union, so...

The Mormons lack the population to hold such large territory
But will they always? Utah still has the highest birthrate in the nation. This early, the practice of polygamy would not have been outlawed, so the birth rate would be even higher.

Windsor said:
This was not the original plan for the nation of Deseret. This is the state - the Mormon pioneers formed the plans for the nation when this state was rejected by the U.S. This is part of America. But I see no one likes a solid union, so...

But will they always? Utah still has the highest birthrate in the nation. This early, the practice of polygamy would not have been outlawed, so the birth rate would be even higher.

On the whole, I doubt it. Utah has the highest birthrate right now since it has the advantages of modern medicine. The Mormon community of the early 19th century probably doesn't have any significant advantage over any other community. Birthrates were high then when compared to today, and so was infant mortality. Also, on the whole, I doubt the Mormons have a higher birthrate than the Catholics.

Not everybody moving into the state of Deseret will be Mormons and if the legislature continues to be dominated by Mormons, since it would probably be seated in Salt Lake City, and is discriminates against non-Mormons then its likely that one would see a secession movement. The non-Mormon dominated US Congress would probably welcome the dismemberment of Deseret.