Anniversary Timeline - What if the Yellowstone super-volcano erupted in A.D. 518?

It has now been a year since I joined https://www.alternatehistory.com/ and, for the vast majority of that time, I have been working on a single timeline (or rather a historical summery). It has been fun as well as frustrating and has required many hours of research and effort (something exhausting for me considering I can be incredibly lazy). However, I have now completed a sizeable portion of it (about 13,000 words or 2%) and would like to share it with the rest of the board for feedback and possibly, help. This is the sixth version of my first attempt at ever writing a timeline and so I hope it’s acceptable. Please, I would be very grateful for criticism of any kind. I realize that it is a lot (perhaps too much), to ask of any of you to read the entire timeline, so maybe just skim it, glance at the maps and pictures, or read the parts that interest you, whatever you prefer. My goal is to create a decent timeline beginning at the point of divergence in A.D. 518 and continuing right up to the present technological equivalent, somewhere in the first half of the third millennium. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Also, this is not the final version of this timeline, so its inadequate and sometimes vague covering of events will be revised at least once before I finish. As it is too large and graphic intensive to post here efficiently, I have created a website to host it, the link to which can be found below. Also note, only the "Prologue" and the "Dark Ages" links from the homepage have been created so far. Thank you to Straha, midgardmetal, Stalin Malone and all others who have helped me so far, I appreciate it.

Thank you and enjoy,

chunkeymonkey13q (Kyle Johnson)

http://www.freewebs.com/chunkeymonkey13q/Contents.html

Keenir

Banned
chunkeymonkey13q said:
It has now been a year since I joined https://www.alternatehistory.com/ and, for the vast majority of that time, I have been working on a single timeline Thank you and enjoy,

chunkeymonkey13q (Kyle Johnson)

http://www.freewebs.com/chunkeymonkey13q/Contents.html

happy whole-year.

glad to hear your project has progressed so well.

*goes to site* very very neat!

(though I wonder - you say the Mayans went south to get away from the explosion -- given the location of the Mayans, would they know whether it was coming from the north\south\west\east?) just wondering.

a superb ATL.

kudo's...I didn't read it all, but its obvious you spent some time on it. My only beef would be that you mention the reactions to the event, but you don't articulate how the individual people were affected.

Did their crops die? Did they lose fishing grounds? I know the historical reasons why they might behave this way, but I'd like to hear about what happened too them. Were they crushed by ash, did they get the prototypical nuclear winter? How was the Southern Hemisphere, and Asia affected?

I'm intrigued that other cultures might have come up. How did this affect Africa esp...

Nice POD.

In your prologue, you describe the eruption as dropping "several inches" of ash across Western North America. It would likely be several feet, unless this was an incredibly mild eruption.

Fantastic so far.

Fabilius said:
Really cool site that you have constructed. But why did you pick out this particular year?

Was that the year someone suggested in a book that there had been a big eruption - but nowhere near as big as Yellowstone - in SE Asia that caused a lot of disruption and population movements, as well as plague outbreaks? He suggested it was an earlier and larger Krackatua and possibly even that before that Java and Sumatra were a single island. If so you may have used this as a basis but changed the eruption to a markedly larger one in Yellowstone?

A lot of interesting ideas. Not sure both Byzantium and Sassanid Persia would have prospered that long without a lot of warfare between them. Also that such a strong Roman state wouldn't have directly or indirectly, boosted much of western Europe out of its dark age. Interesting to see how the Persian heartland will react to its new Arab Zoasterist rulers?:confused:

Steve

Answers:

happy whole-year.

glad to hear your project has progressed so well.

*goes to site* very very neat!

(though I wonder - you say the Mayans went south to get away from the explosion -- given the location of the Mayans, would they know whether it was coming from the north\south\west\east?) just wondering.

a superb ATL.

The Mayans didn’t necessarily head south as they were far enough away from the eruption so as to not be as badly affected as some of the peoples and tribes to the north (this is so because of the direction in which the prevailing winds blew the ash as well as the distance between the volcano and the Maya civilization). The Mayas (whom I will cover later, when I get to the Americas) instead suffered a mini-collapse in their civilization and for a while remained relatively disorganized.

kudo's...I didn't read it all, but its obvious you spent some time on it. My only beef would be that you mention the reactions to the event, but you don't articulate how the individual people were affected.

Did their crops die? Did they lose fishing grounds? I know the historical reasons why they might behave this way, but I'd like to hear about what happened too them. Were they crushed by ash, did they get the prototypical nuclear winter? How was the Southern Hemisphere, and Asia affected?

I'm intrigued that other cultures might have come up. How did this affect Africa esp...

Nice POD.

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

Beyond the frontier of civilization, in the uncharted wilds of Northern and Eastern Europe, many different tribes made their homes, eking out a living among the deep forests, wind-swept steppes and frozen mountains of Europe and Asia. Here dwelt farmers and herders, hunters and raiders, usually gathered together in small clusters of a few dozen to a few hundred people. Such signs of civilization as cities, towns, writing and industry were completely unknown and undeveloped. For centuries, these various tribes had made this region their home and life had remained relatively unchanged throughout that time. With the eruption of the super-volcano, however, this would all change. The global cooling caused by the eruption triggered the gradual buildup and steady advance of glaciers to the north, as well as the destruction of much of the region’s arable land. Forests died back or grew with increase rapidity, formerly cultivated fields were washed away by intensive rains or dried up from the lack thereof and many important crops simply ceased to grow. Swamps became frozen and the ground hardened, stoically resisting the plow, while the migration patterns of fish, game and birds were altered. Additionally, formerly prosperous harbors and bays became chocked with silt, while rivers became flooded with excess water or else dried up completely. The world was changing and for many hundreds of thousands of people, it was too much. Faced with famine and the obliteration of their ancestral homes, many tribes began to migrate southwards, first in a trickle and then in a flood. Entire peoples packed up and simply left in huge hordes. The world would undoubtedly never be the same.

Eventually I will develop each section a bit more and so will be able to tell what happened to the individual people as well as their reactions to the event in more detail. I don't think that this eruption would have been quite as bad as a nuclear winter exactly, but it would be the worst climactic change experienced in human history. Also, some people were almost certainly crushed by ash during the eruption. I will be covering the entire world so you will be able to see what happens to the civilizations of the Southern Hemisphere, Asia and Africa; how they progress etc.

In your prologue, you describe the eruption as dropping "several inches" of ash across Western North America. It would likely be several feet, unless this was an incredibly mild eruption.

Fantastic so far.

Yes, you are right and the Discovery Channel confirms it, I’ll change inches to feet now.

Really cool site that you have constructed. But why did you pick out this particular year?

The real reason I chose A.D. 518 as my point of divergence, was because I wanted to have Justinian I still become the Emperor of Byzantium and, at the same time, have as early a point of divergence as possible. Since massive butterflies are involved due to the global effects of the eruption, I felt the earliest I could begin was A.D. 518 after Justinian’s uncle, Justin, becomes emperor.

Was that the year someone suggested in a book that there had been a big eruption - but nowhere near as big as Yellowstone - in SE Asia that caused a lot of disruption and population movements, as well as plague outbreaks? He suggested it was an earlier and larger Krackatua and possibly even that before that Java and Sumatra were a single island. If so you may have used this as a basis but changed the eruption to a markedly larger one in Yellowstone?

A lot of interesting ideas. Not sure both Byzantium and Sassanid Persia would have prospered that long without a lot of warfare between them. Also that such a strong Roman state wouldn't have directly or indirectly, boosted much of western Europe out of its dark age. Interesting to see how the Persian heartland will react to its new Arab Zoasterist rulers?

Steve

I’ve been brainstorming and using the resources of this board to develop this timeline for a long time now (almost a year), but I developed the idea for the super-volcano eruption independently. Originally, I had planned to use some other type of natural disaster, perhaps a failure of the global climate similar to what was seen in The Day After Tomorrow. Searching various disaster websites, however, I stumbled across information regarding the super-volcano and, finding it more intriguing than any my previous ideas, I decided to use that instead. You’re right in your objections; some ideas are a bit of a stretch at this point. I do believe, however, that Sassanid Persia and the Roman Empire could have remained at peace for such a long time, due mainly to their distraction towards the East and West respectively. Additionally, the Romans under Justinian I constructed a large defense net along their Eastern borders in the hope of discouraging attack (one of the reasons the Sassanids lost in the eventual war). Perhaps, however, when I add to the timeline I will add in details about periodic border skirmishes. Also, the revived Roman Empire did help to delay the Dark Ages in much of the former Western Empire with the exception of Gaul. The Kingdoms of the Burgundians, Visigoths and Britons all prospered (when compared to the rest of barbarian Europe) during this time and the subjugated kingdoms of the Ostrogoths and Vandals enjoyed a rebound as well. Basically in this timeline, Late Antiquity ends in the ninth rather than in the sixth century. Later on, I’ll also detail how exactly Nassakid Persia prospered under its Arabian rulers. In this timeline there are two “semi-Islam” parodies so to speak. One is Nassakid Persia and the other is a second invasion of men from the north, both of whom will follow fanatical anti-christen religions and generate much strife between Europe and their respective homelands.

Today I hope to begin working on the developments of the Khazars (so that I can be almost done with the end of Late Antiquity in Eastern Europe!) and I will post this both here and on the website either today or tomorrow (usually I am able to create an update either once a day or once every two days.

Have you ever tried posting the timeline on Soc.His.What-If? They might be able to give some good constructive critism.

Superb! Nice site.

Straha

Banned
Kidblast said:
Have you ever tried posting the timeline on Soc.His.What-If? They might be able to give some good constructive critism.

Superb! Nice site.
Dude no. SHWI is full of nitpickers, plausibility naZis and other "fun" people. Sure its fun to read and sometimes partake in a discussion but I' avoid vposting timelines there because they WILL tear you to pieces.

You may want to change that Light Pink and light Green Colors on the maps. Very off putting, and hard to tell which is the land.

Straha said:
Dude no. SHWI is full of nitpickers, plausibility naZis and other "fun" people. Sure its fun to read and sometimes partake in a discussion but I' avoid vposting timelines there because they WILL tear you to pieces.

I know that....

Still, perhaps they might be able to give some insight...

If not, then just ignore what they say... It's not like they are going steal a timeline away or something.

Thank you for your comments, I'll check out Soc.His.What-If. Here is the update on the Khanate of the Khazars (also posted on the website) from the eruption of the super-volcano to the beginning of the Eastern Dark Ages. Feel free to ask any questions and offer tips or suggestions. If there is something you would like to see within the timeline, let me know and I will see if I can work it in. Enjoy:

Küiev.jpg

Küiev - Anno Domini 800

The Khanate of the Khazars:

Like frost collecting on a blade of grass in the early morning, the Khazars appeared from the swirling masses of tribes present in the Caucasus region and quickly formed an ordered and organized state. One of the multitudes of Turkic tribes inhabiting Central Asia, the Khazars were able to secure their independence from the Gokturks in the years following the eruption of the super-volcano. Forced into the Caucasus region by the spreading Gokturk Empire, the Khazars settled around the Volga river and there established their capital, Küiev, in A.D. 535, or thereabouts. Throughout most of the early sixth century, however, the Khazars remained relatively disorganized; their true rise to greatness would not begin until A.D. 541, for it was in this year that the Khazar armies were able to inflict a stunning defeat on the much larger and more experienced armies led by one of the leading generals of Khosrau I. It was then that this motley collection of small villages connected by unpaved muddy tracts, began to develop into one of the most powerful and enlightened state of the Dark Ages, in some cases rivaling the civilizations of Rome and Persia. Villages expanded to become cities with the growth of population and land that had lain fallow was irrigated and brought under cultivation. Küiev became one of the greatest commercial centers of the region and all of the cities of the Khanate of the Khazars were famed for their bustling markets, busy streets and clever merchants. Situated along the northern trade route of the Roman Empire, the Khazars were able to trade with both Rome as well as the diverse civilization of the Far East and their merchants quickly became among the most skilled in the world, their cities famous for their bustling market places.

Wedged in between a Christen and a Zoroastrian Empire, the Khazars opted for Judaism as their religion of choice, their kings and upper classes converting in the early seventh century. The lower classes, however, and the majority of the population, remained a mixed collection of faiths as Christianity, Judaism, Paganism and Zoroastrianism were all widespread. The Khazar state famous for its justice and tolerance received the immigration of persecuted peoples from everywhere and quickly became a learned and enlightened state. As time passed and the Khanate became a major force in the Caucasus region, it would also become a powerful ally of the Roman Empire and an important enemy of Sassanid Persia. As the Southern Trade Route controlled by Sassanid Persia were often unreliable due to high tolls, piracy and seizure of goods by the state, all of the Roman Empire’s and Western Europe’s goods passed through the land of the Khazars, which quickly grew quite wealthy in the process. With prosperity, however, came external attack, as the various Turkic tribes inhabiting the steppes to the north descended upon the Khanate of the Khazars in a variety of hordes; the Pechenegs, the Cumans and others; while from the south came renewed attacks from Sassanid Persia. The strong military of the Khazars, however, prevailed in defending the state and was even able to make gains, subjugating the Cumans and forcing the Pechenegs back to the northern shores of the Caspian. A trading state noted for its fairness in an age where this was none to common, the Khanate of the Khazars administered from Küiev, was one of the most significant states of its time.

Küiev.jpg

Keenir

Banned
chunkeymonkey13q said:
The Mayans didn’t necessarily head south as they were far enough away from the eruption so as to not be as badly affected as some of the peoples and tribes to the north (this is so because of the direction in which the prevailing winds blew the ash as well as the distance between the volcano and the Maya civilization). The Mayas (whom I will cover later, when I get to the Americas) instead suffered a mini-collapse in their civilization and for a while remained relatively disorganized.

My apologies. I must've misread. Sorry,

again, superb work.

About the Anglo-Saxon "Age" of the Great Britain section....

You mis-spelled Angles as Angels...

But the TL does look very detailed....:)

While it is a very good Detailed TL, I somehow think you are underestimating the Synergestic effects of several Areas remaining Better off or being able to repair a lot of the older Roman roads aquaducts etc.,

You have butterflied away the Muslims With your Persian Conquest of Arabia [?What happened when Persia invaded Axum held Yemen?]
But with the Axums & Indians continueing with their mederterian Trading from the Black sea to England, And the British trading All around the Med into the Black Sea, Eygpt would have continued maintaining the Nile Canal.

By the 800's things would be looking up, the Wanderings would be over, Life would have settled back, Trade would be increasing, towns and Cities reclaimed, leading to more trade, more Cities ETC ETC.

Thank you for your comments, I am going to be brainstorming events in Russia during the period of A.D. 518-818 today, writing tomorrow and hopefully posting it either then or the next day. Let me know if there is anything you think I should include or want to see and I will take it into consideration.

My apologies. I must've misread. Sorry,

again, superb work.

No problem, I realize that remembering any one thing would be very difficult, it is only easy for me because I wrote it and then had to go back and revise and proofread several times.

About the Anglo-Saxon "Age" of the Great Britain section....

You mis-spelled Angles as Angels...

But the TL does look very detailed....

Thanks, I appreciate that, I hate having spelling and grammatical errors on there, but it is so long now that I am pretty much guaranteed to miss a few. I will fix it soon.

While it is a very good Detailed TL, I somehow think you are underestimating the Synergestic effects of several Areas remaining Better off or being able to repair a lot of the older Roman roads aquaducts etc.,

You have butterflied away the Muslims With your Persian Conquest of Arabia [?What happened when Persia invaded Axum held Yemen?]
But with the Axums & Indians continueing with their mederterian Trading from the Black sea to England, And the British trading All around the Med into the Black Sea, Eygpt would have continued maintaining the Nile Canal.

By the 800's things would be looking up, the Wanderings would be over, Life would have settled back, Trade would be increasing, towns and Cities reclaimed, leading to more trade, more Cities ETC ETC.

You may be right, but then again, after the sixth century, most of the progress made in the era before begins to slowly slip away again as darkness invades Western Europe. With the exception of the occupied kingdoms of the Vandals and Ostrogoths, most of the West falls apart again in the late 500s. The only exception is Britain whose prosperity remains fairly local. For the Axumites, what would you like to see happen? I will create a formal update when I move on to Africa, which will come after I finish with Europe and Asia. I have not come up with any concrete ideas yet, but I would think that they would either be drawn into Persia’s orbit or else that of the Romans who they may look to for protection. As for long distance trade with the West…, that is basically non-existent due to the hazards of trading, shrinking demand and the near collapse of the monetary economy. I believe that Eastern goods became accessible only to the exceedingly wealthy in our timeline during the Dark Ages so a similar series of affairs is occurring here. Only the Romans manage to stave off the darkness until the 800’s completely and by then, their time of prosperity was almost up as well. I will take your comments into consideration though and perhaps include some more information on why there was no rebound. Thanks for mentioning the Egyptian Canal too! That I will use.

You may be right, but then again, after the sixth century, most of the progress made in the era before begins to slowly slip away again as darkness invades Western Europe. With the exception of the occupied kingdoms of the Vandals and Ostrogoths, most of the West falls apart again in the late 500s.

It is your TL and if you want a Collaspe that is your proagitive. Just don't personally find it likely. I think you have to explain Why the collaspe happens dispite the progress in stabilizing.
As For the Axumites, what would you like to see happen?

If you are contining the collaspe then the Axums wouldn't be trading much with Europe, So the Canal would like OTL, fall into disrepair. But without the Muslims cutting them off from the Ocean, they would have continued trading with India, and Indonesia. Acting as a Bridge between Africa and South Asia.

They would have also sent missionaries south into africa. this probally would have lead to a Distintly Africa Christianity, to go with the Roman and Orthodox ones.

If you are contining the collaspe then the Axums wouldn't be trading much with Europe, So the Canal would like OTL, fall into disrepair. But without the Muslims cutting them off from the Ocean, they would have continued trading with India, and Indonesia. Acting as a Bridge between Africa and South Asia.

They would have also sent missionaries south into africa. this probally would have lead to a Distintly Africa Christianity, to go with the Roman and Orthodox ones.

You are correct in that they would not be trading very much with Barbarian Europe, but what about the Eastern Roman Empire? The merchant class there is still very active despite the Empire’s loss of its Western territories (and good leadership). Possibly that alone would lead to continued maintenance of the canal. Good ideas with the distinct African Christianity, I will take that into consideration. Is anyone else interested?

Here is the update on the Rusuns (also posted on the website), which is the last update for this time period in Europe (after this I will be moving on to the period extending from A.D. 818 to ,A.D. 1226. This period will stretch from the absolute decay of civilization to its lowest point, to the first conquests of the Großer Glaube (Great Faith). Once again, feel free to ask questions, offer improvements, read, or just skim, whatever suits you the best. Enjoy:

Early Rusuns.jpg

Early Rusun Slavs

The Rise of the Rusuns:

Far to the East and North of the Mediterranean World inhabited by the Romans and their Germanic successors and hidden amongst the frozen swamps and towering forests, dense woodlands and grassy clearings, windswept plains and craggy steppes, the Rusuns, a large multitude of Slavic tribes made their homes. While those in the northern region, which was unsuitable for agriculture, survived as simple hunters and trappers, those living in the woodlands further south existed as farmers raising a variety of crops and supporting themselves with both foods gathered from the forests and fields as well as the products of their domesticated animals. Here they clustered in small villages for protection from the fierce wandering nomads inhabiting the plains to the south. Little else is known about these early Slavs, for writing was utterly unknown and all known knowledge had to be passed down through the generations orally. For many centuries this lifestyle remained unchanged until the eruption of the super-volcano in A.D. 518 and the resulting climactic change added a new element to this diverse region, as many thousands of different peoples fled the freezing north for new homes further south. At first this small trickle of migrating peoples was felt only along the major rivers, which they made use of to travel and was quickly assimilated into the general Slavic population. As time passed, however, and more and more peoples began to migrate to the region, conquering large swaths of land and subjugating the native Slavs, the land of the Rusuns began to take on a distinct Scandinavian character.

In the years following the eruption, the Norse raiders settled down, founded cities and towns and became the masters of the larger native Slavic population; governing their cities, towns and villages, protecting them from attack and developing a sophisticated code of law, the origins of which may be traced to many of the nearby civilizations. With the growth of cities and towns a lively trade sprang up and the region became loosely bound into a thriving commercial and political empire. The regions wide navigable rivers became widely traversed by both traders and merchants and were soon linked by a network of canals and roadways. The surplus of furs, honey, wax, amber, slaves, timber and foodstuffs found its way to a number of markets from Toledo and Carthage in the West to Küiev and the Hindu cities of India in the East. With such a profits procured from trade, the land of the Rusuns began to grow wealthy and soon a dozen centers of commerce, the most important being Aldeigjuborg, Holmgard, Ladoga, Liubech, Murom, Palteskja, Rostov, Smolensk, Turaŭ and Vitebsk rose to prominence. Though united linguistically and culturally as well as through trade, the land of the Rusuns was in actuality balkanized into a number of small princedoms and city states. Order, however, would come in the name of the Swedish prince Stígandr who, as the fourth son of the king, would not inherit the throne. He therefore made his way South and East with two companions to the land of the Rusuns and landing at Ladoga, proceeded to carve out a new state. This new state, legendarily founded in A.D. 554, was still weak and divided, but under the competent leadership of Stígandr and his successors, would gradually grow in power and influence. In A.D. 648, the upper classes accepted Christianity and gradually, the Rusuns were transformed from a pagan collection of primitive tribes to a modern state basking in the orbit of Rome.

Early Rusuns.jpg