• rvbomally

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Gryphon

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • SpazzReflex

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Half of the maps have something interesting making them worthy a vote.
In the end, I stuck with lock's 1990s-punk.

I actually had an idea for that contest, giving an East German city a West German public transit treatment typical of the 1960s.
In the end, I decided that raping Leipzig wasn't worth it.

The mostly untreaded concept. I don't see 2000s-punk often, and your take is different from the ones I have seen.

I haven't seen many either, which have you looked at?

The few I have seen (including FH maps actually from the time) were US-centric fears of Al Qaeda caliphate, super China and whatnot. Yes I did aim for another perspective, what if the US was paranoid of that scenario and tried to firmly protect (and extend) their slipping hegemony using any and all means possible, regardless of how much it fucked over other countries and even themselves?

It was partially based on bits of actual thoughts and stories I had back in the day which helped. Ragnarok seems more like Cold War, but it was a tidbit from that time so it fits loosely thematically.

Unfortunately like the others I didn't have much time so at one point I realised I couldn't make it more dystopian without ending up silly, so I just rolled with it. Reading the descriptions, you can probably tell at which points I made that transition :p

Note that it's set on 7 July 2025, an anniversary...

When I was researching for my own take, I looked at FH cliches from the era.

Interesting. Yes I had seen that while researching for my scenario. I think that is more late 2000s and mine is more early 2000s. More of American Idiot, less of Beijing Olympics.
Is that the stylistic difference you see in my take compared to the other 2000s punk ones?

I considered doing an atompunk world like Fallout but realised it'd take too long for me to be pleased. So I went with Lock's Eternal Nineties. In the words of Liz Lemon, I want to go to there :p

My vote goes to Gryphon; personally I don't really think half the entries actually fit the definition and one of them has explicitly ASB stuff in it (which could easily be fixed by just removing it in the text part).

Krall

Banned
My vote goes to Gryphon; personally I don't really think half the entries actually fit the definition and one of them has explicitly ASB stuff in it (which could easily be fixed by just removing it in the text part).

Which entry has explicitly ASB stuff in it?

Krall

Banned
Anti-gravity (if possible at all it won't be for thousands of years) in rvbomally's, though like I said, it's a single line in text.

Unrealistically advanced/sci-fi technology is part of punkification - the restrictions on ASB elements were relaxed for this round because of that, so that's not a big issue. :p

I don't like commenting on my own map while voting is going on, but now that voting is done, there were a few things for this map I'm especially proud of:

• "Ameritimes" (Surely, I can't be the first one who came up with this?)
  • Greenpeace funding their national budget through sales of calendars featuring polar bears and penguins. (I had *a lot* of these calendars in college.)
  • 2.3 million mutant offspring of cloned sheep overrunning Scotland and threatening England. (This still makes me laugh. Unfortunately, I didn't think of literal border collies patrolling the border until after the voting started.)
  • Surge Crimson. ('Nuff said.)
  • Moving Australia. ("Goddammit. I don't want to shrink this font anymore. I wish I could just move Austr--" *light bulb*)
You all will likely see a remake sometime soon, because there were a couple of things I meant to put in but forgot, a couple of things (like the aforementioned border collies) that I didn't think of after voting started, and quite frankly "safe sex" should have definitely read "safer sex."

Thanks to everyone who voted.

I don't like commenting on my own map while voting is going on, but now that voting is done, there were a few things for this map I'm especially proud of:

• "Ameritimes" (Surely, I can't be the first one who came up with this?)
  • Greenpeace funding their national budget through sales of calendars featuring polar bears and penguins. (I had *a lot* of these calendars in college.)
  • 2.3 million mutant offspring of cloned sheep overrunning Scotland and threatening England. (This still makes me laugh. Unfortunately, I didn't think of literal border collies patrolling the border until after the voting started.)
  • Surge Crimson. ('Nuff said.)
  • Moving Australia. ("Goddammit. I don't want to shrink this font anymore. I wish I could just move Austr--" *light bulb*)
You all will likely see a remake sometime soon, because there were a couple of things I meant to put in but forgot, a couple of things (like the aforementioned border collies) that I didn't think of after voting started, and quite frankly "safe sex" should have definitely read "safer sex."

Thanks to everyone who voted.

I very much appreciated your punk attitude to map-making. And I for one welcome Queen Dolly and her ovine hordes.