What a Way to Run a Railroad - An Alternate History of Eastern Railroading

What a Way to Run a Railroad

icc_exterior.jpg

The exterior of the Interstate Commerce Commission building in Washington, D.C.

In 1920, the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was charged with drawing up a plan for railroad consolidation. However, the ICC was not given the power to enforce its plans. Meanwhile, the big trunk lines of the east went about buying stock in their smaller regional competitors whenever they got the chance. This haphazard frenzy of acquisition led to several proxy battles that took up time and money that could’ve been put to better use in modernizing and streamlining railroad plant and equipment. When the dust settled in 1929, virtually no consolidation had taken place. What went wrong? What lasting effects did this era have on the railroad scene in the east? To understand what happened, we must take a closer look at the major players of eastern railroading: the Pennsylvania, New York Central and the Baltimore & Ohio. We will also take a look at Cleveland’s Van Sweringen brothers and the Alleghany Corporation, as well as the so-called “Alphabet Route.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After spending the last two or so years on this site as a lurker and an occasional poster of maps and flags, I have finally decided to take the plunge and post a TL. I noticed a dearth of alternate railroad history on this site, so I figured I might as well throw my hat into the ring. While most of the railroad TL's on this site involve things like high-speed rail, steam locomotives and passenger trains, my TL will be focused on the bread and butter of the railroad industry: freight. I will touch upon passenger trains and locomotives a bit, but for the most part, my TL will be about basic things like railroad economics, mergers and deregulation.

I also plan on keeping my TL focused on eastern railroads like the Lehigh Valley and New York Central. As someone who spent most of his youth in upstate New York after they'd disappeared and been absorbed into systems like CSX Transportation, Norfolk Southern and Conrail, those lines have held mystical, almost sacred qualities for me. When I found out how sickly they were in the years before Conrail, I found myself genuinely upset by how far they had fallen because of things like poor management, unfair competition from trucks and airplanes and plain-old bad luck. :(

The world I plan on creating is not radically different from our own, but the events that take place will certainly put a smile on those of us who cringe whenever we think of things like Penn Central or the string of bankruptcies that took place in the early 1970's. Someday, when I get the time and money, I plan on building a railroad layout based on this scenario. :D

Last edited:
Trunkline Profiles: The Pennsylvania

PRR_Logo.jpg

The Pennsylvania's keystone is one of the most iconic symbols in all of railroading.

The Pennsylvania was the largest trunk line in the east in both track miles and revenue. [1] It was a gritty, heavy-duty railroad. It’s quadruple-tracked mainline between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh climbed the Allegheny Mountains west of Harrisburg. Philadelphia may have been the soul of the Pennsylvania, but Pittsburgh was its heart. [2] At Pittsburgh, its mainline split in two: Half of it went south to Saint Louis, while the other half went north to Chicago. The industrial centers of Columbus, Indianapolis and Fort Wayne dotted these steel arteries. Further east, the Pennsylvania’s mainline between New York and Washington was one of the busiest in the nation, swarming with passengers and freight. Bulk commodities like Coal, Iron, Coke and Steel dominated the Pennsylvania. It was this reliance on bulk commodities that influenced the Pennsylvania’s approach to service: barebones service at rock-bottom prices.

Map-Mid-Atlantic-U.S.-1945.jpg

The sprawling Pennsylvania covered 10,512-miles in thirteen states.

The Pennsylvania had a hardness to it that often made it seem like a bully. It was also phenomenally arrogant, fancying itself “the Standard Railroad of the World.” Inspite of these strengths, the Pennsylvania had a number of weaknesses. Its arrogance resulted in a stagnant corporate culture, with the best and brightest of the organization being passed up in favor of “team players.” [3] Its four mainlines [4] bypassed a number of important cities: Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Rochester were all reached on branch or secondary lines. As a result, it was uncompetitive in a number of key corridors. However, the Pennsylvania had plenty of cash it could use to expand its empire. If there was to be a feast, the Pennsylvania felt it should get the most to eat.

[1] In terms of track miles, the Pennsylvania was larger than the Central. However, in terms of route miles, the New York Central was the larger railroad.
[2] Conway Yard, anyone?
[3] This would end up biting the PRR in the ass OTL and was one of the main causes of the Penn Central debacle.
[4] Those being the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh-Chicago, Pittsburgh-Saint Louis and New York-Washington routes.

Last edited:
Trunkline Profiles: The New York Central

NYC_Logo.jpg

Compared to the bold herald of the Pennsylvania, the New York Central's cigar-band was delightfully simple and elegant.

In many respects, the New York Central was the polar opposite of the Pennsylvania. Whereas the Pennsylvania relied on muscle, the Central relied on guile and cunning to achieve its goals. Like the Pennsylvania, its main lines served the major metropolitan areas of the northeast and midwest. The Central, however, had better engineered, more direct routes than the Pennsylvania. Its eponymous Water Level Route was just that: a fast, level route between New York and Chicago that passed through nearly every major city in the region. Unlike the Pennsylvania, which mainly hauled bulk commodities, the Central was wedded to fast freight. Quality, not quantity, was the name of the game on the Vanderbilt road. The corporate culture of the Pennsylvania and Central differed significantly. The Central tended to hire young, college-educated men, while the Pennsylvania tended to rely on in-house expertise. [1]

1280px-New_York_Central_Railroad_System_map_1926th.jpg

At 11,172-miles, the Central and its affiliates were the largest railroad [2] in the east.

Another difference was the Central and the Pennsylvania’s approach to consolidation. Whereas the Pennsylvania wanted to ensure that no consolidation took place, the Central viewed consolidation as an opportunity to strengthen itself. If it played its cards right, the Central could expand into the rich, coal-producing regions of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. It already controlled the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie and had a stake in the Monongahela Railway. [3] If it could gain control of a coal hauler like the Lackawanna or the Virginian, it could gain a steady source of income and make its bottom-line less susceptible to economic downturns. It also knew that the Pennsylvania would do whatever it could to infiltrate its territory, while fighting tooth and nail to keep the Central out of Pennsylvania. Unlike the Pennsylvania who bought stock in as many railroads as it possibly could, the Central would make only a handful of strategic purchases in the battle to come.

[1] In other words: nepotism. :p
[2] The New York Central System was comprised of the New York Central, Boston & Albany, West Shore, Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis ("Big Four") and Peoria & Eastern railroads. It also jointly controlled the Indiana Harbor Belt with the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific ("Milwaukee Road").
[3] The Monongahela was jointly owned by the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, Pennsylvania and Baltimore & Ohio railroads. IOTL, it ended up being bought out by Conrail in 1993.

Last edited:
Trunkline Profiles: The Baltimore & Ohio

640px-Baltimore_and_Ohio_RR_in_1961.jpg

At its peak, the B&O had no more than 6,000-miles of track. [1]

The smallest of the three eastern trunk lines, the Baltimore & Ohio was North America’s first common-carrier railroad. [2] It wasn’t a bruiser like the Pennsylvania or an iron speedway like the New York Central. The B&O didn’t have the financial muscle of the Pennsylvania or the Central and was often viewed as something of a fuddy-duddy by its peers. Nevertheless, the B&O was an important and well-loved railroad in the communities it served. Its flinty President, Daniel Willard, was considered one of the best leaders in the entire industry. Unlike many of his peers, Willard was genuinely concerned about the well being of his employees. [3] Employees on the B&O were not only some of the best paid in the industry; they were also some of the most productive. Willard strove to make the B&O the nations most efficient railroad and in many ways, he succeeded. However, Willard was also aware of the fact that both the Pennsylvania and the Central were nearly twice the B&O’s size and wielded a disproportionate amount of influence in the industry. Consolidation would be an ideal way to rectify this.

220px-Daniel_Willard_c1920s.jpg

The bizarro Woodrow Wilson: beloved by all and a friend to railroad workers.

The B&O lacked access to the cities of Buffalo, Rochester and New York – cities that would be key to the B&O remaining competitive. Unlike the other two, the B&O had a head start. In 1901, the B&O acquired a substantial block of stock in the Reading Company. The Reading Company owned the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad and controlled the Central Railroad of New Jersey. If he could get control of the Reading, the B&O would gain access to the vast industrial areas of New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. Willard also planned on having the B&O acquire the Lehigh Valley, Western Maryland, Buffalo & Susquehanna and Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh railroads. [4] The Lehigh had been part of the Reading Company prior to 1893; adding the Lehigh Valley would give the B&O access to Buffalo. The Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh, meanwhile, would connect the Lehigh to the main B&O system. The only question now was if the B&O could pull this off before the big boys beat them to the punch.

[1] I was unable to find a map of the B&O pre-1930, so this map shows the B&O with the BR&P and also its trackage rights to New York City over the Reading.
[2] The Delaware & Hudson predates the B&O by about a year, but it was not a common-carrier railroad.
[3] Fun fact: Willard's style of management was witnessed by a group of Japanese businessmen who brought it back to Japan. And thus, the so-called Japanese-style of business management was born. :D
[4] Our first diversion from OTL. For some inexplicable reason, Willard decided not to go after the Lehigh. In its preliminary system plans, the ICC actually paired the Lehigh Valley with the BR&P, another railroad that the B&O planned on acquiring. The Lehigh was also a natural extension for the Reading, who actually owned it at one point (see above). I have no clue why Willard didn't try and make a play for the Lehigh, but here he decides to go for it.

Last edited:
The Van Sweringen Brothers Take Over the Nickel Plate

1912-shaker-sign-600.jpg

Railroad? What railroad? This is an ordinary neighborhood with no connections to railroading whatsoever!

One of the most unlikely players in the consolidation game of the 1920’s were the Van Sweringen brothers, O.P. Van Sweringen and M.J. Van Sweringen. [1] Neither brother had experience in the railroad industry, nor any connection to it. The two began their career as real estate developers in Cleveland’s Shaker Heights district. In 1913, they established the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit line to connect their suburban community to downtown Cleveland. [2] However, they would need a private right-of-way if they were to be successful. In 1915, the New York Central placed the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (“Nickel Plate”) on the block. The Van Sweringens purchased the line, building their route to downtown Cleveland parallel to the Nickel Plate’s mainline.

Van-sweringen.jpg

The Koch Brothers of their time - albeit without the dickishness.

The Nickel Plate was an unusual railroad. Built parallel to the New York Central between Buffalo and Cleveland and parallel to the Pennsylvania west of Fort Wayne, it’s likely that the Nickel Plate would’ve remained a secondary line of the Central had it not been for the ICC threatening to take them to court on anti-trust grounds. Nevertheless, it had great potential as a conduit for fast freight. [3] Like the Central, it was a flat, well-engineered route. While the Nickel Plate went no further east than Buffalo, it connected with railroads that did. If the Vans could gain control of a railroad like the Erie, Lehigh Valley or Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (“Lackawanna”), they could create a fourth trunkline and become formidable players in the railroad industry.

[1] Their full names are Oris Paxton and Mantis James Van Sweringen. Rolls off the tongue, don't it? :rolleyes:
[2] For those of you who are more into the traction-side of railroading, Shaker Heights Rapid Transit was the last operator of PCC streetcars in the State of Ohio.
[3] OTL, the Nickel Plate was the choice of meat packers throughout the midwest.

Oh hey a Railroad TL! Definitely subbed! I gotta admit the lack of any railroad TL's was the main reason I decided to make mine.

Trunkline Profiles: The Pennsylvania
It’s quadruple-tracked mainline between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh climbed the Allegheny Mountains west of Harrisburg. Philadelphia may have been the soul of the Pennsylvania, but Pittsburgh was its soul. [2]
Two souls, eh? I suspect one of those was supposed to be heart or something.

Also "it's" = "it is"

I'm not very knowledgeable about pre-WWII stuff, but if I can help you in your endeavors, let me know. I'm rather happy you want to avoid Penn Central (and thus probably Conrail), but I'm not sure if having four NY-Chicago lines is gonna be able to be sustained in the long run. Will be watching, though. :)

Two souls, eh? I suspect one of those was supposed to be heart or something.
Duly noted. I posted this at around 2:00 in the morning, so there's probably a couple of grammatical errors. :eek:

I'm not very knowledgeable about pre-WWII stuff, but if I can help you in your endeavors, let me know.
Thanks. :D I'm probably going to stop this TL sometime in the early to mid-1970's, but I might end up dragging it out until the end of the millenium if I feel I've got enough ideas.

I'm rather happy you want to avoid Penn Central (and thus probably Conrail), but I'm not sure if having four NY-Chicago lines is gonna be able to be sustained in the long run.
While I happen to find Penn Central a fascinating topic, I am far more interested in the individual Pennsylvania, New York Central and New Haven railroads. The idea of a Pennsylvania-New York Central merger will be thrown around by Perlman and Symes ITTL, but it will be little more than a footnote in railroad history. As for the issue of having four New York-Chicago Routes, I do plan on addressing that in a later installment. :)

this looks liek it will be an interesting timeline.

the southeast had it's share of bitter rivalry as well: the Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard, Southern, and the Norfolk and Western. Along with the original Norfolk Southern, (which was a Short Line)

The Rise of the Van Sweringen Brothers

nickelPlateMap.jpg

A map of the Nickel Plate system after the acquisition of the Clover Leaf and the Lake Erie & Western.

After taking control of the Nickel Plate, the Van Sweringen Brothers began searching for other railroads to acquire. In 1922, the Vans acquired the Toledo, St. Louis & Western and Lake Erie & Western railroads. Neither line was an ideal property. The Toledo, St. Louis & Western – commonly referred to as the “Clover Leaf” – had originally been built as a narrow-gauge line. It was an undulating, single-track railroad that was nearly useless for through service. Like the Clover Leaf, the Lake Erie & Western was not a particularly robust railroad. Its mainline bypassed Indianapolis (which it reached courtesy of a rickety branchline) and terminated in the small town of Sandusky, Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie.

Why would the Van Sweringens bother with such mediocre properties? While neither the Clover Leaf nor the Lake Erie & Western were particularly valuable on their own, they would be invaluable as feeder routes for the Nickel Plate. Acquiring the Lake Erie & Western and Clover Leaf would extend the Nickel Plate’s reach to Peoria and Saint Louis. This would allow the Nickel Plate to avoid sending westbound freight over the rails of potentially hostile rivals like the Wabash [1] and New York Central. Soon, the Vans were buying stock in a number of railroads, including the Chesapeake & Ohio, Pere Marquette and Erie.

ErieMap.gif

The Erie may have been weary, but it wasn't worthless.

Of the three railroads listed above, the Erie was the oldest, having been founded in 1832 as the New York & Erie Railroad. As a result of the financial malaise that dogged the Erie throughout much of the 19th Century (mainly because of crooked robber barons like Jay Gould and Daniel Drew using the Erie to line their pockets), it was dubbed the “weary Erie” by its detractors. Nevertheless, the Erie was still a valuable property. It’s wide, double-tracked mainline between New York and Chicago had plenty of capacity to grow, while its route along the Delaware River would give the Van Sweringens access to New England. [2] Like the Erie, the Pere Marquette had been a financially weak road at the turn of the century. However, it stood poised to reap the benefits of Michigan’s growing automobile industry. Indeed, commodities like steel and rubber would soon supplant timber and passengers as the Pere Marquette’s main sources of revenue. Unlike the Erie and Nickel Plate, which remained independent (albeit C&O-controlled), the Pere Marquette was eventually merged into the Chesapeake & Ohio. [3]

1D.jpg

The auto industry transformed the Pere Marquette into one of America's most profitable railroads.

Compared to the likes of the Erie and Pere Marquette, the Chesapeake & Ohio was a financial Rock of Gibraltar. Stretching from Newport News to Chicago, the C&O was a consistently profitable, well-maintained property. Alongside its rivals the Norfolk & Western and Virginian, the C&O was one of America’s largest haulers of bituminous coal – nearly 50% of its revenues came from hauling black diamonds. [4] With the C&O in their pocket, the Vans now had a steady stream of cash they could use to expand their empire…

[1] Foreshadowing much? ;)
[2] The Erie connected to the New York, New Haven & Hartford ("New Haven"), New York, Ontario & Western, Lehigh & New England and Lehigh & Hudson River railroads at Maybrook, New York. It also connected with the Delaware & Hudson at Binghamton.
[3] This series of events also happened in OTL.
[4] The Norfolk & Western, Chesapeake & Ohio and Virginian were often nicknamed the "Pocahontas Roads," in honor of the N&W's flagship train, the Powhatan Arrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far, not much is different from OTL. However, I plan on shaking things up in the next couple of updates. :D

Last edited: