anangrycelt.rumblr.isle - A Blog

Cheers, I should be doing about 1 "blog" a day, they'll all be about this length or slightly longer and aren't massive in themselves, but should pile up.

Hmm, I like what I see thus far. Gimme another update or two, and you may yet have a subscriber :cool:. I gotta ask, what's the deal with the not-Bryten (Cornish-esque, as I gather?) states, aka Aenglia and Alba? I'm guessing the former is an Anglo-Dane or Anglo-Saxon state, but the latter sort of confuses me, in that the flag shown on that map of the Isles has a symbol that IIRC wasn't introduced until after the Davidian Revolution :confused:. Just a little quibble/confusion, 'tis all.

The map was sort of a prototype, I'm still working out all the little kinks and my Scottish History isn't fantastic. The Symbol on the scottish/pictish flag should change once I find something more suitable.

You're spot on for Aenglia, a heavily saxon region with distinct Danish/Norse influence. As for Alba, it's a Pictish state with no real Irish/"Scottish" influence, the lack of any good pictish symbols caused me to revert to a lion but I'm looking for something else.

Sudreyar is A Norse-Gael state whilst Hibernia is straight up Ireland, as Breizh is fairly straight Brittany.

EDIT: The Red Lion is now a Blue bear, just to mix it up and to tie it in to the upcoming backstory.

Last edited:
The map was sort of a prototype, I'm still working out all the little kinks and my Scottish History isn't fantastic. The Symbol on the scottish/pictish flag should change once I find something more suitable.

You're spot on for Aenglia, a heavily saxon region with distinct Danish/Norse influence. As for Alba, it's a Pictish state with no real Irish/"Scottish" influence, the lack of any good pictish symbols caused me to revert to a lion but I'm looking for something else.

Sudreyar is A Norse-Gael state whilst Hibernia is straight up Ireland, as Breizh is fairly straight Brittany.

EDIT: The Red Lion is now a Blue bear, just to mix it up and to tie it in to the upcoming backstory.

Given that Bryten's already quite big and/or owns some of the best farmland on the isle in the map, it's fairly evident that they ended up bigger than Aenglia for certain (assuming we're not looking at a reconquest somehow from the Saxons, or a super-early POD). That being said, I'm surprised that the *Scottish lowlands (the parts south of the Forth, anyway) aren't part of Aenglia given population pressures and the apparent need to go somewhere (Bryten being too formidable from what is seen). Doing so would still leave Alba to exist, given that the bulk of their territory would be easy to defend and tough as Hell to take (e.g. the Grampians, the North East, the Highlands, etc.).

Speaking of which, I love the idea of a Pictish survivor state in *Brittania! Would they have any Norse influence to their tongue (which I'm guessing is either a standalone speech or a P-Celtic language)? Hibernia and Sudreyjar make sense, although I do have to wonder about Breizh, given the Britons' success in holding onto some large, prime real estate on the isles (and therefore, not real "push" factor to make those Britons move to the mainland). These are all just, again, nitpicks or food for thought. I fully trust you've thought this out and/or know what you're doing :).

Last edited:
11/12/2007 CE

Burn Bright review
a194.jpg

My God, is this movie a historical nightmare. Just as a warning, do not see it if you have any love for history, as a dumb action flick MAYBE, but still... meh. Most of my fans in Colombia and Dixie were getting pretty confused about the history stemming from it and the issues it faced. So I thought I’d lend a hand.

First, I think we need some backstory. In the late 6th century, most put it at about 570, the Ænglic invaders had spread over a massive amount of Eastern Britannia, including a large amount of what is now Brytan, they weren’t united at all and basically just wandering tribes (NOT like in “Burn Bright”, there was no King of Ænglia at the time and he didn’t go around eating babies, Ængles didn’t do that, my Mum was an Ængle and she certainly never ate me!) but the Celts were just the same, being pushed further and further back. One of the most powerful Celtic Kingdoms at the time was Dumnonia, the predecessor to modern Brytan and throughout the 6th century they had been expanding at an incredibly rapid rate, being one of the first kingdoms to expand since the fall of Roman Britain in CE 62. When the old King died in 571 or 572 (accounts differ and the Ænglic Chronicle and Encylopedia Brytannorum disagree) his daughter Maya inherited the throne.

She became renowned as a warrior queen and built upon her father's expansion. Within two months the entirety of South West Brytan was under Dumnonia’s flag and by 573 she had conquered all of Brytan, according to the film, whilst in reality it took two years and still amounted to just under half of modern Brytan. This conquest still had many of her subjects as Ængles, whilst in the film all of them are Brytans. These region would adopt the language and customs in time but it would take just that, time. Her kingdom was by far the largest on the isles and stretched far beyond it's "natural" or "cultural" borders.

In real life the reigns of this alliance were taken by the Picts but in the film the Picts and the Scots of Sudreyar are ignored entirely in favour of MORE VIKING DUDES. :|

As for the Ængles, they are simplified into two groups in the film, Deira and Mercia. Deira are the clear good guys out of the two, being funny, jovial viking-types whilst the Mercians are an abominable horde raping their way across the land. In real life there were over fourty distinct groups of Ængles though the Deira and Mercians were the largest by far. The Mercians are also shown as the Kings of Ænglia, which they most certainly weren't as the title hadn't been invented yet

Boom, awesome set up, hell, that could have been a movie in itself, you know how long they spent on that? 10 minutes. 10 minutes on some of the most important parts of Bryton history and the first coming together of the tribes? Goddamn it.

75628d1297383233-boudica-celtic-warrior-queen-guinevere2.jpg

Emile Cleur as Maya

In the beginning Fighting was light and not well recorded due to the damage that the Encyclopedia Brytannorum received at the time, so the film assumed that Maya won every battle, of course. It doesn't help that most of these battles are repetitive and involve very similar fights between similar combatants. It finally starts to heat up about an hour in, having subdued nearly the entire south of Brytan with alliances and shows of force, Maya forayed north east, in an attempt to capture Ebacorum. This is where it gets interesting; “The Battle of Seven Armies” occurred on the 11th of December 575. For those in the know, the six armies were Maya’s and her allies in the Powys against The Picts, Scotch Sudreyar, the Brytans who stood against her (Mostly Northern tribes) and the Ænglic Kings of Mercia and Deira. According to the film however it was her one army of Maya's against six teeming hordes of Ænglic warriors. Likewise in the film you will have seen the young and beautiful Maya seduce, Skall, King of Deira and win him to her side on the eve of the battle. The real story, if far more boring, was that Maya had been scheming with Skall for many years and their marriage was less a romantic affair as it was a marriage of convenience, creating an alliance between the two which would allow them to carve up the region. The Battle took place at night, not dawn as in the film, and numbers were far more even. Far from the one thousand versus ten times that number, was four thousand against six, a massive battle for the time no doubt, but the odds weren’t quite so dramatic. Maya won anyway, quite handily and with a similar strategy to the film, which can be lauded. The credits role with Maya becoming the first Rex Brytanniarum and her husband, Skall, becoming Rex Ænglia. They claimed hegemony over all people of their cultures and got it to a certain extent, though their direct rule was limited. Brytan consisted of Maya's conquests pre-575 along with large swathes of mercia and Ænglia included Deira and most of the northern Ænglic kingdoms.

The two were technically separate kingdoms but ruled jointly by the royal couple from Corinium, which is still the capital today. It is also worth mentioning that the kingdoms didn't consist of their modern borders, both lacked their northern provinces, still held by small tribes of both Brytans and Ængles alike. Brytan also lacked the eastern provinces, see the map below. Frankly, the ending was stupid and inaccurate but also seems a bad business decision, by having the rest of the kingdoms already conquered you cut out Maya’s son Arthur (Or Æthur, to give him the Ænglic name) who both has the name Arthur, which means they could run with the whole Excalibur thing and was an awesome conqueror, unifying the kingdoms and invading Francia!

lw7xf9q.png

Map of the Two Kingdoms, Brytan in Green and Ænglia in Red

The Acting was awful anyway, Davith Rowe being it’s sole redeeming feature as the old king Uther, Maya’s father, who dies in the first five minutes of the film. Maya herself is played by Emile Cleur, a Dixie Actress whose accent was spot on but just didn’t look Bryton, too short and too skinny. Johan Ruman played a laughably bad villain in the role of King Niem, an Ænglic King with a Danish accent who, as I mention earlier, literally eats babies.

Geh, sorry, I tend to rant and a lot of the issues are quite nitpicky. Overall I’d give it 4/7, not awful really not fantastic. Anyway, this will be my last post before I go visit Lizabet in Dixie, I’ll be back in a couple weeks with an update on the trip!

4/7

Interesting update, it looks like most of the Anglo-Saxons just landed rather north of OTL's settlement points in Mercia and *Northumbria (with the Angles being more prominent earlier than the Saes), those loose tribes to the SE notwithstanding. I also noticed that a certain, erm, familiar nation was mentioned several times in the blog post (hint, starts with a "D"). Any comments on that, given how the POD is waaay far back? Anyway, sweet update, and thanks for clarifying how stupid Maya the Great's recent flick was compared to OTL :cool:.

EDIT: I was thinking about entirely the wrong nation! :D

Yeah, a "D" nation with that name does exist but it's very not the one you've grown fond of, it's more akin to the original origins of the name. ;)
Don't expect to see J.E.B. Anytime soon!

Last edited:
EDIT: I was thinking about entirely the wrong nation! :D

Yeah, a "D" nation with that name does exist but it's very not the one you've grown fond of, it's more akin to the original origins of the name. ;)
Don't expect to see J.E.B. Anytime soon!

Makes sense; given how far back the POD is, I was hardly expecting anything like OTL's equivalent would come about . I do have a couple theories about what such a state would be like, given the indicated naming scheme of the place and its folks :cool:. Meanwhile, another question (amongst many to come, surely): what language is the blogger of this TL using? I'd guess a Cornish-esque *Brytish, but would other tongues come about as being co-official? Or should I chill my biscuits and just read the damn TL? :p In any event, subscribed.

Linguistics are going to be developed later in the TL but yeah, this is coming from a Bryton perspective though there are plenty more languages still bouncing around in the Isles.

Also, woot, the more subs the merrier! It's cool coming from you too, I've seen you around in PlatoonSgt's threads for a while now. And thanks to Used-To-Be-Song-Chine and Huehuecoyotl, I hope you enjoy what's to come.

Smack bang in Bryton (Celtic) lands, I'll have a full map of the isles up in an update or two. Not that it necessarily exists though...

Last edited:
It started out as a river crossing and the flood plain gives it good soil, so I doubt that the settlement would be completely absent, but having spent most of my life there I doubt it would be more than a quaint little market town without the University; Thame or Wallingford in duplicate.

Oh there'll be something there, it just might not be called Oxford. I've lived in Oxford for the last 3-4 years, so I do have little soft spot for it! :)

Bonjour from La Fédération des Dix-Rivières!

400px-Flag_of_the_Franco-Manitobains.svg.png

J'ai raté tous yo mais je suis passer du temps avec ma belle fiancé, Lizabet.

I apologise for absolutely butchering that Frankish but I failed it at school, I’ve been learning up on it lately. I know It’s been a little while since the last post but I have been on another continent. I got a lot of Questions whilst I was abroad so I thought I might do a little Q & A on the holiday and general life, so here we go;

Q) How did you meet Lizabet?
A) Some of you will know that I studied Colonial History at Gam-Saan University in Xin Manzhou, less than 10 kilometers over the border with Dixie was L'Université du La Nouvelle-Rome, our biggest sports rival. During the Long-Goal season I was front man for our team and she was front woman for hers. In short, they destroyed us 12-4 and during the last scrum she broke my collar bone. Good Game, she dropped in on me in hospital afterward.

Q) What the hell is Long-Goal?
A) I get this question all the time from Hellulanders and Columbians especially, you call it Handball, here's a shot from the game;
800px-Aidan_O%27Mahony_%26_Eoin_Bradley.jpg

Q) Is it legal for you two to get married, with her being of Nipponese descent?
A) Again, another one from North Columbia I get all the time. Yeah, The Isles have had racial equality from pretty much day one but it came in in Dixie in the late 90’s. I know that the Columbian situation is a delicate one but come on, it’s 2007, how is interracial marriage still illegal?

Q) Wait, how come she’s Asian if she’s from Dixie?
A) Because Dixie and Xin Manzhou share a huge border theres a lot of immigration between the two, not to mention that both nations are the primary immigration hotspots from east asia. Her Parents were from Nippon though and came across after the War.

Q) I have no idea what countries you're talking about!
A)Well, thats not a question but I’ll humour you. Heres a map;

cza9D6T.png

It really does amaze me how few people know about anything outside of their continent, especially considering all the drama going on in Ostland, especially all along the Columbian border and of course with the human rights abuses there. For anyone in the area or anyone interested in politics as a whole, I'd advise signing up at liberatecolumbia.isle, it's a site that coordinates all of the racial liberation groups in the nation.

Q)What sites did you visit on holiday?

A) Well, we started in La Nouvelle-Rome and saw the Capital building before visiting the Republican Museum, which was cool. I actually flew in on Independence Day, which celebrates when Dixie broke off from the Frankish throne and kick-started the colonial revolutions, it's a fantastic holiday with a great parades right through the city. After that we took a trip West and crossed the border into Xin Manzhou, we dropped in on my old Uni and saw the Imperial Shrine, which was awesome. Finally we took another flight to New Mali in South Ostland, fantastic weather and wonderful people. All in all, a great round trip.

These are just some of the regular questions I've been getting but if you've got anymore please, send them in, I'll do another Q & A in a couple days!

------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: Alright guys, it's interactive time, this is just a teaser as I want YOU to send in some questions for "me" to answer in character, which I'll do once I've got a good number of replies. Go Wild! :)

edit: Some of the flags on the NA map come from Flag threads from several years ago so all credit goes to the creators, if anyway doesn't want me using their flag just buzz me up and I'll swap it out for a different design.

Last edited:
Wow, sweet update! Thanks for the map, it really clears up a few things I had been thinking about in the New World (I'd thought that "Dixie" referred to an alt-Louisiana Francophone country, turns out I was only sorta right), although if I had to nitpick, I'd say there's quite a few straight borders out west that I'm not sure work geographically (again, tho, just a nitpick). Anyway, on to the in-universe questions:

----------------------------

Q1: Hello! Long-time reader, first-time poster here. My first question for you is this: say you have somebody (me, for example) that has half-Aenglish, half-Sudreyjar ancestry (along with some Native, to be sure) and can trace back their entrance to the west as being from the Isles. Which country would one end up in? My guess would be either North Columbia or Setterland (hopefully the latter if one likes warmer and muggier climes, the former if snow and four equal seasons are your thing); I ask as somebody trying to figure out settlement patterns (which I know are more about trends than real rules).

Q2: Being a stupid Ostlander, I'm not too sure of what happened between the Isles and the Franks (outside the fact that Breizh came about at some point, although I'm not sure the Isles were responsible for it). Anything of note I should know about that?

Q3: Which language would you say is more prevalent in the Ostland continent? I imagine that countries such as North Columbia or Dixie are a bit more cloudier in that regard, but Xin Manzhou seems a rather obvious lock for a Cathese/Chinese/etc. tongue. And finally,

Q4: Good on you to give Long-Goal its due, but what other sports would you say you like as well? Granted I imagine you're predisposed to Long-Goal, but do you participate or watch any others?

I look forward to your answers!

Last edited:
Bulls for the Cup! No, who am I kidding; they haven't had a hope since '68.

Do you follow any team in particular?

We know what you don't like; but which of the series and films currently showing get the angrycelt seal of approval?

Last edited: