Hija del Sol de Oriente 2.0

CHAPTER I
The Path to Revolution

Part 1

insulaephilippinae.jpg

For over 300 years, Spain held jurisdiction and sovereignty over the Philippines and the nearby Pacific islands under the name Spanish East Indies. It was controlled first through the Viceroyalty of New Spain, then directly from Madrid after New Spain, now called Mexico, won its independence in 1821. As the crown jewel of the Spanish colonial power in Asia, they defended the islands against several enemies: Chinese pirates, the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British.

In the late 18th century, Spain finally opens the city of Manila, the Philippines' capital, to world trade. This pave way to the introduction of new products from across the world, along with cultural exchanges. Because of strategic location, the archipelago quickly became a major trading center.

As foreign goods arrived rapidly in the islands, so are the new ideas from the Age of Enlightenment. As the years go by, many of the colonial subjects made a fortune from the global trade and thus, gave rise to the new middle class. And from here, the first generation of people influenced by the Enlightenment emerged - the ilustrados.

Last edited:
CHAPTER I

Part 2

Ilustrados_1890.jpg

Some of the ilustrados in Spain

The ilustrados became the personification of the changes in the Philippine society caused by the ideas of liberalism and, to a certain extent, nationalism. These new breed of intellectuals came mainly from the wealthy insulares (pure-blooded Spaniards born outside Spain) and mestizos (persons of mixed European - mainly Spanish - and native blood), whose families can afford to send their sons to Europe to attain the highest degree of education available.

After years of staying in Europe the ilustrados returned to their homeland and, inspired by the ideas of liberty and equality, began a campaign for reforms, after realizing that centuries-old inequalities still exists in their society. They clamor for equal rights, educational reforms, and the secularization of the church. Unfortunately, the latter brought the ire of the religious orders, who felt their power and influence threatened. Thus they began opposing the intellectuals' cause.

There's also some in the colonial government (and in Madrid) who opposed the aims of the ilustrados. After loosing their colonies in the Americas, Spain had began more vigilant in tightening its control over the last remnants of their colonial empire. As a result they began suppressing any movements or ideas that may lead to revolution.

In 1869, a new Governor-General, Carlos Maria de la Torre, was appointed by Madrid. Unlike the previous Governors, de la Torre was a liberal, and thus enacted several reforms including the relaxing of censorship laws, secularization in education, and even supported autonomy for the Philippines. For the ilustrados, they though it was the start of a new era.

It all came crashing down in 1871 when de la Torre was replaced by Rafael de Izquierdo, who retracted all of the earlier reforms, and began suppressing the reform movement. The clergy on the other hand felt very relieved. Now they can finally deal with the secularization movement. And a rare chance came the following year.

In 1872, several soldiers and laborers led by Fernando La Madrid staged a mutiny and seized Fort San Felipe in Cavite Nuevo. The rebellion didn't last long when Spanish troops from Manila came and crushed the mutineers. Several men were arrested, with most of them executed. But the leader of the mutiny was never found [1]. Nevertheless the friars acted quickly, seizing the opportunity to destroy their enemies - the reformists and secularists - in one fell swoop.

Some of the mutineers were interrogated, with most of them implicated the leaders of the secularization movement as the masterminds of the Cavite Mutiny. They are Jose Burgos, Mariano Gomez and Jacinto Zamora; all of them are ordained priests. The three were arrested and, with the help of some evidences (fabricated by the friars), were found guilty and sentenced to death. Until the end, the priests proclaimed their innocence. As for the reformists, most of them were exiled into the penal colonies of Marianas and Fernando Po in Africa. The others went back to Europe to continue the struggle.

The deaths of the three martyr priest sparked indignation and fury from the populace, as it was now clear the colonial government doesn't tolerate any movement for change, and wanted them to remain tied to the chains of servitude. Thus, some intellectuals began embracing radical ideas and viewed themselves not as the sons of Mother Spain, but as different kind of people. The first seeds of the nationalist movement was sown.

---

[1] In OTL, he was arrested and executed. Guess what happened to him. ;)

Last edited:
Recently subscribed, because I wanna see the 2.0 version to be more developed

Well, I don't know but, I already laid out some sort of an outline for the Philippines. I really wanted to cover developments in other nations (China or Korea maybe) but that's not really my strong points.

Because of that, I will welcome any kind of help from my readers.

Part 2
[1] In OTL, he was arrested and executed. Guess what happened to him. ;)

Thanks for the PoD, 1872.

You got to tell us the story about him if he stayed locally or went abroad ala Simoun/Crisostomo Ibarra.

I just got to note that since this is within the time period when Isaac Peral and his advanced submarine which will be rejected by OTL Spain. It is some tool if want alternative to beat superior navies and sink those Mahan lover navies of the west by the 1890s.

Thanks for the PoD, 1872.

You got to tell us the story about him if he stayed locally or went abroad ala Simoun/Crisostomo Ibarra.

Well, 1872 is just a very minor POD (1896 is still the major one). About La Madrid, we wouldn't be seeing him until later on. Actually, you guessed it right. La Madrid did pull an Ibarra stunt here. Are you a mind reader or something?

I just got to note that since this is within the time period when Isaac Peral and his advanced submarine which will be rejected by OTL Spain. It is some tool if want alternative to beat superior navies and sink those Mahan lover navies of the west by the 1890s.

That's a nice idea you got there. I'll think about it.

CHAPTER I

Part 3

La-solidaridad2.jpg

The Propaganda Movement began in 1872, formed by Filipino emigres who escaped the colonial government's crackdown against reformists. The organization was later joined by younger ilustrados who were studying in Europe at the time. Their aim was to address the ills of their homeland to Spain's central government, and to seek the necessary reforms. Unlike in the Philippines, the propagandists gained support from the Spanish liberals and freemasons for their cause. On December 13, 1888 the movement's main periodical, La Solidaridad, was founded by Graciano Lopez Jaena and Mariano Ponce and it's first issue was released months later on February 15, 1889 expressing the organization's primary goals. La Solidaridad had many contributors; these included Jaena (its first editor), Marcelo H. Del Pilar (the second and longest serving editor), Jose Maria Panganiban, Pedro Paterno, Antonio Luna and Jose Rizal.

At first glance, the Propaganda Movement doesn't seemed to have a central leader, but in reality there are three propagandists who rose to prominence during this period: Jaena, Del Pilar and Rizal - the so-called "Propaganda Triumvirate". Of these three, it was Rizal who stood at the helm, the most well-knowed and acknowledged of all reformists. Although he only wrote a handful of articles for La Solidaridad, primarily because of his travels, it was his two famous - or rather infamous - novels, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo which tackled the issues of Philippine society, that made him prominent. The two books were acclaimed by liberals as a masterpiece, but back at the Islands, it was deemed subversive by the authorities and heretic by the clergy and was banned. Thus, Rizal earned a lot of hostility from the religious corporations.

As the last decade of the 19th century came, the suppression of modern ideas intensified, while the Propaganda Movement entered a period of crisis and decline. The propagandists struggled in the face of strengthened censorship, shortage of funds to sustain La Solidaridad's publication, and the Central government's perceived inaction and apathy. It was apparent that their campaign was going nowhere. The reformists slowly became disheartened and the inevitable result was division. Some of them gave up and distanced themselves, while others began to shift their ideals from reforms and greater rights to the more radical ones, that of armed revolution and independence.

Last edited:
CHAPTER I

Part 4

Jose_rizal_01.jpg

Jose Rizal

The Philippines experienced a brief respite under the tenure of another liberal Governor, Emilio Terrero, who is also a freemason. It was during this time that Jose Rizal's first novel Noli Me Tangere reached the highest level of popularity - and notoriety - despite being virtually banned across the colony (thanks to Terrero's efforts). On August 1887, Rizal returned to his homeland due to personal issues [1] and family crisis. He also wanted to assess the effects of his novels on the Filipino society. His arrival was met with curiosity and delight by the local intellectuals and common folk, and with disdain by the conservatives and friars. An officer of the Guardia Civil [2] was assigned to protect Rizal. But the danger became so serious that he was advised to leave the Islands. Rizal heed the suggestion and left for Europe once again, joining his fellow ilustrados [3].

As the situation became dire in the Philippines at the start of the 1890s, the reform movement on the other hand experienced a major crisis. The central government had strengthened its censorship against any potentially subversive materials, an indirect result of the ongoing crisis in Spain's other colony, Cuba. Sustaining funds for La Solidaridad became increasingly difficult to the point that Marcelo H. Del Pilar, the newspapers editor and a major contributor, shouldered its expenses virtually all by himself. Slowly it began to affect his everyday living expenses and later his health. Fortunately, with the help of their fellow freemasons (mostly Spanish), Del Pilar, Graciano Lopez Jaena and several other propagandists managed to pull through the crisis by taking several jobs as a source of income [4]. La Solidaridad would survive for a few more years.

In 1892, Rizal returned to the Philippines once again. This time, he decided to initiate a another reform movement for the betterment of his fellowmen. Thus, La Liga Filipina was born.

---

[1] If you know Rizal, then you know what (or who) I am talking about

[2] Translated as Civil Guard. The main security force in the Philippines during the late Spanish era.

[3] Rizal would later join La Solidaridad later. See Part 3 for some details

[4] Another POD. ITTL, the reformists would have to take part time jobs to sustain their daily expenses here. So, if they have enough money they can eat regularly, they become healthy and no illness (particularly tuberculosis) to troll them. :D

Last edited:
CHAPTER I

Part 5

29-ang-isang-katawan-na-bubuuuin-dito-siyempre-ay-ang-bansa1.jpg

Jose Rizal during his time in La Liga Filipina

The La Liga Filipina was founded by Jose Rizal on July 3, 1892 as the next step for the Propaganda Movement, aiming to involve the people directly in the campaign for reforms. Rizal envisioned the organization as a mutual aid movement capable of giving educational, legal and commercial help to those in need of such. Several elements of society joined the Liga in the hope that the reforms they've been dying to see may finally become a reality.

But that is not to be. The Spanish colonial authorities, who marked Rizal as an enemy of the state, was alarmed by the growing presence of the Liga. Before anything unexpected happens, they decided to act. On July 6, 1892 Rizal was arrested and jailed at Fort Santiago. The Liga, with its leader gone, was virtually decapitated.

However, the Liga is not yet dead. By the efforts of some of its most devoted members - Apolinario Mabini (law student), Domingo Franco (businessman) and Andres Bonifacio (company employee) - the Liga managed to resume its activities. In 1893, at the suggestion of Mabini, the Liga declared its support of La Solidaridad and became its principal financier. Bonifacio, considered one of the Liga's most active members, expanded the its reach beyond Manila by founding additional chapters for the organization.

Unfortunately, despite its improvement, the Liga came to an abrupt end later on as its Supreme Council dissolved the society. The main reasons cited were the increasing number of members with radical leanings who refused to donate funds as they now believed that the peaceful campaign for change is a lost cause. The Council feared that the Liga could be taken over by radicals which may stray it from its original aims, which in turn could attract reprisals from the authorities.

Meanwhile back in Spain Marcelo H. Del Pilar, who was kept in touch with the events in the Islands by his brother-in-law Deodato Arellano, had also learned of Rizal's arrest and later the Liga's demise and was disappointed. This became a turning point in his beliefs. Realizing that their efforts are all in vain, he began turning to radical ideas.

Pilar,_Marcelo_H._del.jpg

Marcelo H. Del Pilar

Del Pilar later discussed it to Arellano in a series of letters, which would prompt the latter to reveal to the former about the existence of a secret society - the Katipunan [1].

---

[1] OTL, Del Pilar never knew the existence of the Katipunan even though his relative was one of its founders.

Last edited:
The latest update has been posted. Feel free to comment. Actually, I really need it so I could know if I'm doing good.

Part 6

Philippine_revolution_flag_kkk1.svg

The absence of Rizal finally revealed the divisions inside La Liga Filipina. On one side there are those who still adhere to the peaceful methods of seeking reforms and only clamored political autonomy (the conservatives), and those who espoused new radical ideas and began advocating armed struggle and total independence (the radicals). After the Liga's demise, the conservatives founded the Cuerpo de Compromisarios and reaffirmed their allegiance to La Solidaridad. On the other hand the radicals led by Andres Bonifacio, a staunch nationalist, together with the Liga's former secretary Deodato Arellano, Ladislao Diwa and Valentin Diaz founded the Katipunan on July 7, 1892.

The Katipunan received support mostly from the lower classes while the Cuerpo got some support from the upper classes; but most of the wealthy Filipinos refused to associate themselves with any movement that may endanger themselves and their interests, not wanting to end up like Rizal.

Despite the Cuerpo's efforts they failed to prevent La Solidaridad's official dissolution in November 1895. Most propagandists went their separate ways, including Marcelo H. Del Pilar who returned to Barcelona.

Earlier, Del Pilar had established contact with the Katipunan through his brother-in-law Deodato Arellano to the point that he had knowledge of the secret society's activities. Bonifacio himself later established a personal connection with the propagandist in a series of letters and telegrams. Impressed by Bonifacio's beliefs, Del Pilar decided to throw in his lot on the revolutionary movement. He would later quote that moment in his memoirs:
"I really felt that he (Bonifacio) is a man of noble heart, with a noble cause imprinted in his heart. These kinds of men is what the nation truly needs."

The Katipunan emulated several elements from the Masonry, particularly its initiation rites. By using these methods, they managed to sustain the secrecy of the organization along with its member's identities. However, the increase of membership was slow. During its foundation until early 1896, the society only had around 300 members. It was then that Del Pilar (who was now an honorary member of the Katipunan) suggested that the society needed a tool to propagate their cause [1].

Bonifacio and his comrades decided to publish their official newspaper. Dr. Pio Valenzuela was credited with its name, Kalayaan (Freedom). The newspaper had its first and only issue on March 1896, after being caught under fire by Spanish authorities for its seditious content. But it had accomplished its work. After its release, membership began to swell from 300 to around 30,000. Additionally, the Katipunan began to expand into Nueva Ecija, Bicol. It even managed to get members of Visayan origin which could realize Bonifacio's vision of a nationwide revolution.

But in August 19, 1896 an incident in a newspaper factory [2] lead to premature discovery of the Katipunan by Spanish authorities (even though there's already speculations about its existence) which lead to several arrest of suspected Katipuneros. Bonifacio, realizing the grave danger, finally came to a decision; it was time to start the battle for independence.

---

[1] It was the Bonifacio and his buddies who thought of that idea IOTL.

[2] To be covered in the next update.

Last edited: