• Mumby

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Analytical Engine

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Superman

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My vote went to Jajax; to be honest I was'nt really wowed by any of the entires, indeed the challenge itself was IMO not really a good one.

I voted for Zauberfloete; I would've voted for Meerkat, but parts of his scenario are really sickening to me, and not in the usual way dystopias are sickening.

Krall

Banned
I voted for Zauberfloete; I would've voted for Meerkat, but parts of his scenario are really sickening to me, and not in the usual way dystopias are sickening.

I know what you mean. I was considering disqualifying his entry after he was banned, but I was worried that I might be biased due to how much I hate parts of his entry, so I decided to allow it - besides, it's not like he's going to get another chance to enter the contest now.

I didn't vote for him (my vote went to Dr. Nodelescu for using a different projection) but Meerkat's entry was certainly memorable--and creative in some ways if a bit disturbing in others. I thought it did a good job of capturing how strange the future can look when you extrapolate certain aspects of the present.

I know what you mean. I was considering disqualifying his entry after he was banned, but I was worried that I might be biased due to how much I hate parts of his entry, so I decided to allow it - besides, it's not like he's going to get another chance to enter the contest now.

I think the reason we have such an aversion to Meerkat's entry is probably due in large part to the left-wing bias present on the forum (myself included) - we quite happily bash right-wing ideologies in even more scathing terms.

Krall

Banned
I think the reason we have such an aversion to Meerkat's entry is probably due in large part to the left-wing bias present on the forum (myself included) - we quite happily bash right-wing ideologies in even more scathing terms.

Really? In my case it's because he's taken a stereotypical strawman version of feminism, then taken that to extremes, and presented it like that's the logical conclusion of any and all feminism.

Admittedly I wouldn't be so unnerved by, say, someone taking a stereotype of homophobia and taking that to its logical extremes - so I guess you're actually right - but I'm okay with that bias in myself because things like homophobia work in favour of established inequalities whilst things like feminism works against them. For me saying they're both equally bad is like saying stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is as bad as stealing from the poor and giving to the rich - sure, maybe the action's the same, but the context and relationship between the elements isn't.

Anyway, I think I'm on the precipice of turning this into a political discussion, which rarely ends well on the internet. So, let's try and turn the discussion back to maps - what did people think about histories and concepts behind the different maps? Was there anything you particularly liked, or disliked?

Personally, I was a bit disappointed that everyone decided to do a world map for this contest. I did expect it, considering the global focus of the challenge, but I liked that the challenge specified the "initial stages" of a global unification as that allowed for regional maps. I talked to Reagent about his ideas for entries, as I often do, and a lot of his ideas were regional or focused on one continent, so I was hoping for a few entries with a more regional focus. I can't say that this was a failing of any one map or map-maker, so I'm not criticising any entry in particular, but I was a little disappointed by the lack in map variety, even if there was plenty of variety in the background.

Well, I think Zauberfloete nailed Sweden's political climate fairly well in what little he wrote of that. Shame to see New Orleans go though.

If I hadn't been so egotistic to vote for myself, I'd given my vote to the Magic Flute, the Zauberflöte. Of course, I dislike maps overloaded with footnotes at the expense of the map without a good reason (plain text in schoolbook fashion is just fine) and that's why I'm surprised that Jajax does so well in the poll. The nice UN roundels and especially the golden one over Bahia reconciled my with the winning entry.

Meerkat92, however, well... the little boy inside me found the mere map in midnight blue inherently cool and that's also a reason why I made a white-on-black map by myself. I felt a bit cheated out of my possible victory as he grazed in my niche, so to speak. But then I actually read the discussion about UH's gender-nihilist Norway that apparently didn't risk EU intervention and the orbital bombardament of Flyover and wondered why the author resorted to taint a great map with this wankfest of a strawman dystopia. And when I read of him being banned, I thought it was due to the map.

I hoped to win because I did the exact opposite of what Krall missed. I wanted to make my map look template-free (therefore cookie-cut like my Prussia from MotF 90), not Europe-centric and showing that I cared about the many little islands in the Pacific, ready to sacrifice Greenland in the process. And as there are already many continent-sized organisations IOTL present, I thought that "initial stages of a worldwide unification" should include a reasonable chunk of the global population. For my personal taste, this meant at least the combined populations of China and India because the rest of the world is supposed to feel enough pressure to eventually join the club sooner or later. All Terrans should have an equal share in the interstellar clusterfuck that humanity is prone to do and not need to think twice where to go for their embassy on the alien planet they're currently residing in.

Krall

Banned
If I hadn't been so egotistic to vote for myself, I'd given my vote to the Magic Flute, the Zauberflöte. Of course, I dislike maps overloaded with footnotes at the expense of the map without a good reason (plain text in schoolbook fashion is just fine) and that's why I'm surprised that Jajax does so well in the poll. The nice UN roundels and especially the golden one over Bahia reconciled my with the winning entry.

I think Jajax is doing so well because his entry was the most unusual - the other entries focus on a modern or future unification of a world that diverged from our own in the 20th century or in the future, whereas Jajax's showed a world totally unlike our own, with an industrialised Song Dynasty China dominating the Old World and a world state being established by 1750!